logo

www.richgoptr.com
why hold my payment ?
3. (7 mins ago)
Ak Management
Money taken out of my account
4. (7 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Fraud and scam

Mr Rooter
mrrooter.com
Earlier this summer I had a company install a sump pump in my crawl space. As a temporary measure I ran a cheap 20 ft flex line into the yard. Last week I hired Mr Rooter to run a permanent drain line to the street (70ft.) They quoted $1, 645 which I thought was high, but worth it if the company did quality work. They started the work the next day and spent 2.5 hours on the job and stopped 20 ft short of where the line discharged from the house and about 6'short of the street... Instead of attaching the line to the discharge pipe they tied it into my temporary plastic line and buried it. Altogether they ran 50 ft of pipe which retails for about $30.00 and spent 2.5 hours on the job (one man) and charged me for $1, 000 labor and $600.00 in parts. In addition, the line is running uphill and doesn't drain properly. Unfortunately, he managed to get a check from my wife before he left.

When I called the owner I got the run around. His only excuse was 'your a grown man and you signed the agreement...' He refused to tell me their rates and had no excuse for the cost of the parts. When I pressed him on the labor cost he said they charged $162.50 and had to charge for a full day. I offered to pay 50% and he refused, so I informed him I was stopping payment on the check and I hung up.

The next day his office called me at work and asked if I really stopped payment on the check. With a big smile on my face I said, 'Yeah buddy.'

It's your move Mr Rooter!!!
Comments United States Home & Garden
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

1st of Dec, 2008 by   George -2 Votes
So, are you mad about the job they did or are you really mad about the $1, 645 you had to pay? You have to be clear on what you want? From reading your post it seems to me like you are mad about the money. Remember, you hired Mr. Rooter, I suspect you called, not your wife. I suspect you signed and agreed to the written estimate before work began, not your wife. And where were you when Mr. Rooter was working anyway? If you were there, why didn't you say anything if you didn't like the work they were doing?

You are the man, you are the man of your house, it's your respossibility, don't blame your wife. If I were in your shoes, I would take it like a man and pay Mr. Rooter their $1, 645 (by the way, that seems like a pretty low price to me. I paid $3000 for simiar work). and I would seriously consider thinking about my economic situation, so that next time I run into something like this, I can pay whoever I higher next time. Did you know Mr. Rooter pays commision to their workers? Poor old guy, working by him self. I would of gotten into the pit like the man that I am, with mud up to my neck to help the poor guy, I'm pretty sure all he is trying to do is earn a living, maybe he has a wife and kids? And that Nasty Mr. Rooter company, did you know Mr. Rooter has bills to pay? Believe me, it's expensive to run the type of business they run; employee's, workers compensation, liability unsurance, auto insurance, fuel, tires, oil, telephone, office. America wouldn't be what it is if it wern't for men like you and me who are there to give not to recieve, remember that saying "ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for your country".

So Jude Loren, maybe Mr. Rooter is right, you are a grown man and you are going to call Mr. Rooter and appologize for what you have done and tell them to go ahead and cash that check in. Why? Because you are a man and that's what men do (they will probably take you to small claims court anyway, I guarantee you that you'll loose" and get on with your life. But not just like you did before, from now on like the grea man that you are.
 17th of Mar, 2009 by   Grapekoolade -2 Votes
Mr Jude, After your Yea Buddy and feeling proud of yourself, Your going to find out that stoping payment on a check is just as bad as wrighting a check on a closed account. Your going to jail when it bounces. A worthless check is just that, worthless. Does not matter why. If you have a problem witht the work, be cool and call and have the guy come back and resolve it. Your way is going to have you spend even more money having to get your wife a bail bondsman after the check bounces. So i guess its really Your turn.
 23rd of Jun, 2009 by   Mr Rooter Youngstown -2 Votes
I use Mr Rooter and I understand its not about parts and labor. I get a lot of value and they never charge me overtime. I run a business myself and understand how much it costs. I also like the fact that Mr Rooter doesn't let their plumbers whore themselves and work for pennies like people try to get plumbers to do. I get the same problem in my business. I give value and professional service. I don't whore myself or my prices.
 29th of Jun, 2009 by   Root this +2 Votes
I think the main complaint here is that they did a shoddy job.
Instead of a full-length run, they dug it short.
Instead of laying quality piping, they used his cheap hose as an extender.
If anything was assumed, it was the customer assuming (as he said) that he'd receive quality plumbing work for such a tall price.
Quality is definitely implied by Mr Rooter, so it's hardly as assumption.
So the price hurts more when the implied quality ain't there.
Money is an absolute. Quality is subjective.
The man got burned.

As for me?
I asked for how much a water heater replacement would cost and was told $1300 or $1100 if I'm one of their special members. (I am- 5 yr contract)
So I called another plumber and the price was in the $700's. They did a great job and even provided specs on the phone for the water heater.
Mr Rooter wouldn't tell me anything about the heater they wanted to sell me other than the maker... who's only a wholesaler and doesn't provide specs, nor prices.
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by   Geana +2 Votes
I have used them for 15 years for 3 houses and have paid them over $6, 000 over the years, if not much more. They have done fine work for me. However, I had a leak in, y downstairs bathroom ceiling from the upstairs bathroom. Their guy didn't bother turning water on, nothing. Just said the problem was a cracked wall tile that has been there 20+ years. Hmmm, never been a problem before now. We couldn't match that one tile so we paid Bath Fitters $3000 to replace it all. Looks great but I really am scrimping because I had to shell out that much money. First time the kids used that tub last night, 24 hours after install, here's the leak again! Ruined the new ceiling tile I just installed, too. I didn't need to spend that $3000 to begin with. It was a drain leak that we found just by turning on the water! Why didn't their guy do that to begin with? The General Manager of the Huntsville, AL office, Gerald told me to 'go right ahead' and file Small Claims for part of the Bath Fitters bill. He didn't care. All he wanted to do was say his guy 'dropped the ball' and it was a small error om his guy's part. He doesn't think he should have to pay for Bath Fitters. The new tub I didn't need to begin with that his guy said I was going to have to have! I will never use them again, even if they would come out to my house, which I am sure they wouldn't, after I chewed out the boss.
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by   ShockedX3 +1 Votes
The contract says to take it to the street and an inspector of such things would say it was done wrong. He stops payment until they do it right. Judge Shirley.
I just had a mr. rooter too. They would never tell me the price. Until I said okay fix it since I thought he knew all about it. Took 10 minutes and another plumber would have charged $75/hour. He charged $230 total. All because they would never tell me the price until I had agreed to get it fixed. Visa Vi I do not use Mr. Rooter anymore. I do not like their attitude. It is slimy.
 23rd of Oct, 2009 by   ShockedX3 +2 Votes
$250 for a 5 minute job is highway robbery. 75/hr is not whoring yourself.
Get a life befoe you end up behind bars.
 3rd of Nov, 2009 by   Ripped off by Rooter +1 Votes
Mr. Rooter is a RIP OFF ! ! ! !
They take advantage of their customers and inflate the prices of their service.
They have been reported to the NJ Dept of Consumer Affairs !

STAY AWAY FROM THIS COMPANY ! ! ! ! !
 9th of Nov, 2009 by   Babooooon +1 Votes
Well, I had them cable my main sewer line becasue I was in need... Cost 291.90...Called perfect plumbing after and found out thier cost is $125.00... Me feeling stupid is pricelss..they do a great work but they well take advantage of you when you need them the most...Would never ever call mr rooter again...Did I say never...!!!
 12th of Nov, 2009 by   CactusBlack 0 Votes
I was scammed by Mr Rooter they gave me price for 9100 to replace sewer line because there was roots in my line. Perfection plumbing showed up for a second estimate and found that a sewer clean out underneath the ground several inches had the top broken 187 dollars later it was good to go. My advice DO NOT USE MS ROOTER
 13th of Nov, 2009 by   Tucson az 0 Votes
Stay away from this outfit in Tucson arizona, we are still dealing with the Consumer Fraud division they totally overcharged and took advantage of a 83 year old hispanic lady, who did not understand what she was getting from them and then had her finance the job to a lender charging her 2500.00 in finance charges and 23 % interest rate, will keep you posted on this irresponsible unethical bunch,
 15th of Nov, 2009 by   Mr Rooter Youngstown +1 Votes
Tucson Az.- why are you blaming Mr Rooter for interest that a finance company charges??? That's the finance comapnies fault!
 15th of Nov, 2009 by   Mr Rooter Youngstown +1 Votes
All of you on here, you're the reason no one can find good service people anymore. Whether it is heating and cooling, plumbers, construction people, carpet people, window installers...

All of you ignorant people, (Ignorant as uneducated and unintelligent), expect these people to work for

ridiculous wages... That's the rip off!

You morons go out and hire "handymen" that aren't even licensed, never fix anything to code, and never fix it right.

Why aren't you complaining about your doctor or lawyer charging you $225 an hour? Because they are professionals?

If you people would pay service people what they are worth, they could live as the professionals they are instead of whores you want them to be.

I'm a self-employed excavation service person and I won't step foot on a property and work for $75/hour. You obviously have no idea how much it costs to run a professional, reliable service business.
 30th of Nov, 2009 by   Mr. Rooter Plumbing Corporate 0 Votes
We are sorry to hear of your recent trouble. Your business is important to us and we want to ensure each and every customer experience with our company is a good one. If you would like to speak directly with us, you are most welcome to call our customer service manager at (254) 745-2436 who will be happy to assist you. Sincerely, Mr. Rooter Corporation
 12th of Dec, 2009 by   rjsplumbing 0 Votes
What most people dont understand about mr rooter is when they say they dont charge overtime, its because they always charge overtime. They use a flat rate pricing system with a hidden hourly rate, usually $125 per hour up to $300 per hour from a company i price audited in california. When looking for a plumber, if they wont tell you what their hourly rate is before they start their is a problem. I give free written estimates with my hourly rate, number of hours, and materials. If i bid it for 8 hours and it only takes me 6, i made a little extra, and probably worked a little harder.
Was what they did wrong? Yes, but you signed the contract and did not get other bids, pay them their money and let every person you know what they did and to not hire them.
It comes down to this:
Get a written bid, Ask the contractor to break out the costs as i explained above.
If the job is over $2000 Get 2 more bids and take the bid that falls in the middle, dont take the low bidder

and most important of all ask for state licensing, journeyman card, insurance proof and workers comp, HIRE A PROFESSIONAL. My motto "Quality work at a fair price" It is possible to make good money as a plumber without ripping people off!
 13th of Dec, 2009 by   Wayne R. Coatney +1 Votes
I had work done over 10 days ago, I was away when my basement toilet backed up, my son called and they fixed the problem, less than 5 min work. They charged 264.oo When I came home my son told me what happened and I was happy he got it fixed. The problem I have is the "offerd" a "Advantage Plan"...which, in my opionion is worthless.

I called the company the same day...less than 4 hours after the repair...and asked them to cancel the "Plan". 10 days later and 2 calls a day for a manager or supervisor to call...the 159.00 charge I can live with...perhaps...but I dont need or want this 105.oo "Plan".

Guess I should call the Problem solvers on local TV...or picket outside of the company...just dont know why I cant get a simple return phone call
 13th of Dec, 2009 by   Mr Rooter Youngstown -1 Votes
DEAR WAYNE,
THANKS FOR COMING OUT OF THE CLOSET AND ADMITTING YOU'RE A PLUMBER TRYING TO RUIN A COMPETITORS REPUTATION ON HERE BY SLANDERING THEM INSTEAD OF LYING MORE ACTING LIKE A CUSTOMER.
WHAT A JOKE
 22nd of May, 2010 by   PissedOfWife +1 Votes
Mr Rooter is a fraud/scam and a business of dirty liars. I called to ask about a tankless heater - the gal all happy said they could come out and take a look... needless to say she NEVER EVER mentioned anything about a fee for this... and my gullible husband was home because I couldn't get here fast enough from work... and they charged $70 bucks to stand here for 5 minutes and basically do and say NOTHING of use to either of us. ARE YOU KIDDING? And now it's a battle to get the *$^&$#$ to call me back - they can't even return a p0hone call. Today's message was left at number 8 over the course of 10 days. I have contacted my bank to ask about my options. DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY!!! The sad part is they really lost out - we have a kitchen remodel and a load of other plumbing jobs to do this year because this is a 1940's home with loads of "issues", honesty is the best policy. They will never get a referral from me... and have lost out on a lot of work at my house for their dishonest business practices.
 30th of Jun, 2010 by   Lesley123456789 -1 Votes
It's always a good idea to get multiple quotes from plumbers or any other type of group of people you need working on your house. How else are you supposed to know what a reasonable rate is?

Also, to the person that said people don't complain about how much their doctors or lawyers charge, you are dead wrong about that, people complain about their lawyer fees and medical bills ALL THE TIME.
 27th of Jul, 2010 by   brad321 0 Votes
I want everyone to know that each Mr Rooter is independtly owned and operated so the complaints that u might have are with that franchise owner that Mr Rooter as a whole. Also just so u know i work for a Mr Rooter Franchise as a technician and if the stories u are telling are true i apologize because they did not do their jobs the way they are supposed to.

Consumer Update: Save Your Skin from Sun