logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Optimal Hosting Ltd
They didn’t create the website and no refund was provided
2. (10 mins ago)
Scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Morgan & Pottinger, Louisville, Kentucky Complaints & Reviews - Collections Practices

Morgan & Pottinger Contacts & Informations

Morgan & Pottinger

Posted:    Ellen, Louisville

Collections Practices

Morgan & pottinger
Louisville, Kentucky
In 2002-03 I had a credit card with Capital One with a $500 limit. Due to a discrepancy I stopped paying on the account in Jan 2004 where my last statement showed a balance of $350 -- all late fees, member fees and interest. In 2007 collection attorneys Morgan & Pottinger bought or were retained to collect my credit card debt which had climbed to $980. M&P filed a judgement against me to collect via garnishment. So called reasonable fees were added in the amount of $980 interest and over $700 in additinal interest charges. My wages were garnished (I had just been promoted) and it lead to losing my job in Dec. 2007. I also had to quit school where I attended evenings to take a 2nd job (and I've never been able to return to school). The total garnishment for 4 months was over $1600. In April 2007 my checking account at Republic Bank was garnished when I deposited $400 to cover my car payment of $390. The ACH debit was covered BUT I also got a letter from the bank stating that the $400 was garnished ($100 for the bank fee, $300 to M&P). In addition I deposited $225 on the following day when I realized my account was overdrawn. Too late though because 6 checks I wrote were returned insufficient funds (all small amounts such as $15, $25, $26). My overdraft protection was terminated Feb. 26 so in essence the bank used the same funds twice. That is the $400 deposit was used to pay my car payment (which I authorized to Toyota Fincl Svcs on 4/14). On 4/17 a letter was sent to me from Republic stating the garnishment would be paid on 4/30. I contacted the bank who would not release the funds without a fax from a court. After that my account with fees with overdrawn $743. I believe that Republic Bank used the same funds twice -- how is this legal? In September 08 I made arrangements to pay Adjustment Bureau LLC a downpayment of $300 toward the bank debt and $75 per month. In all I paid this collector $475. In January 08 I lost my job and was unable to continue the payments. I was ready to renegotiate a payment plan in March 08 but when I got a letter from Morgan & Pottinger stating "we've been retained by Republic Bank to collect your debt" I realized that Adjustment Bureau, who I'd been paying for the overdrawn account, and M&P have the exact same address. Their letters, including format, font, are identical. I then called Adjustment Bureau and the collector denied they are related. "We're in the same building but on different floors." she told me. I believe this is a scam and intend to pursue this further. I'm intersted in a class action suit if any are out there. My research also indicates that Republic Bank is also affiliated with Morgan & Pottinger. I believe that as a customer of that bank I was due some loyalty -- instead they basically stole from me and now are further penalizing me by overdrawing my checking account. In all the original debt of $350 to Capital One has ballooned into a huge and never ending amount. It has also caused tragedy in my life including job loss, check cashing fees, loss of income, loss of medical benefits, loss of future 401K, loss of SS benefits, relationship problems, health issues, a car reposession, and more. In all the monetary cost to me has been loss of future earnings and expenses in the amount of over $500, 000, possibly closer to 1 million. In addition the credit score it has left me will cost me a fortune in interest. All this over a disputed $350. Morgan & Pottinger: Your company has no scruples, your tactics are predatory and you cause great harm to good people. While you drive around in fancy cars, living in a great home, you are doing so by driving others to bankruptcy and worse.
Comments United States Collections Agencies
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Apr, 2009 by   Brandi +1 Votes
I agree they are scum. I am currently in dispute with them over a payment plan I set up to pay off my debt. I pay $100 a month and have done so for about 6 months now. I have always paid on time and have no incident until now. I mailed my payment on 3/23/09 for the payment due on 3/30. They claim they never received the payment and the check has not been cashed. I assume there is a mix up with the postal service and the check has not arrived. I received a letter dated 3/31/09, ONE day after my due date, stating they had not received my payment and would begin the garnishment process. I received the letter on 4/7/09 and called them immediately. I left a message with my account manager, who never returned my call. I called today, 4/9/09 and spoke with the account manager, Terry. I was told that I could stop payment on the check, costing me $32, because they cannot guarantee if they receive the check that they won't cash it...this is despite my asking them not to cash the check if they receive it and offering to pay the $100 payment over the phone today. I asked to speak to his manager and was basically told the same thing. I was very upset over this and I am sure my attitude on the phone showed it. I don't blame them for the check not getting there, but I do feel they should have a way to set up a notification alert in their system for instances like this. In addition, my ill feelings towards this company were further made worse based on the letter I received yesterday (dated 4/3/09) notifying me they had already started the garnishment process. They don't even give a person time to respond!! I asked the lady how was I suppose to help solve the situation if they don't give someone time to do anything about it?!?! In the garnishment letter, there is approximately $150 in extra charges added to the balance plus a $10 probable court fee. It's apparent this place tries to find ways to make money off of people who are attempting to make good on their debt. I filed a complaint against them with Better Business Bureau today. We'll see what happens...
 18th of Jun, 2009 by   TC3 +1 Votes
They are definitely trying to take me to court over a debt for a stolen credit card. I responded when they sent me a letter about the card 6 years later, I responded within the 30 day limit. They never have taken a moment to prove this is mine, merely threatening my with court and saying, "This IS your debt". They have sent a sheriff to my home twice, filed suit against me and left a "service notice" in my screen door NOT delivered to me by a sheriff. This does not count as service. They also merely sent one by mail, not certified or anything. Again NOT service.

They continue to try to get me to settle a debt that they refuse to tell me anything about, except that a Verizon phone was purchased on the card in 2006. The area that I live in doesn't even have Verizon service! I try to talk to them about this and all they do is threaten court action. I am VERY interested in a class action lawsuit against this firm.

Cecil County Credit Card Fraud