Monro Muffler & Brake

Posted:

Employee abuse

4.1
For the last four years, I have been a mechanic for Monro Muffler & Brake. The company pay plan is based on a percentage commission for work performed. Even though I have proven, (when given the chance), that I could be as productive as most of their other mechanics, I have been blocked from making money by unscrupulous managers, and assistant managers. As it stands right now, I am almost penniless from this unfair company's ridiculous pay plan, and the latest manager I work under, is a loud mouthed, abusive person with delusions of godhood, who threatens to fire almost every employee every day, and today, he robbed me of income. I ask all who read this to go elsewhere for service, if you have used, or considered using Monro for service. Please put this vile company out of business!
Complaint comments Comments (52) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

6th of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I GRADUATED FROM MTTI 7/21/2010 BUT I'M A MECHANIC BY BLOOD!!!
I STARTED WORKING AT MONRO IN RHODE ISLAND ON 8/9/2010 ANYWAY WITHIN THE FIRST
WEEK I COULD SMELL A SNAKE!!! LISTEN I'M A GROWN MAN TRYING TO CHANGE MY LIFE AROUND . ANYWAY IT WAS THE3RD OR 4TH DAY AND MY MANAGER IS GONNA ASK ME ARE YOU STILL BROKE OR COULD YOU GET 50$ TO TAKETHE EMISSIONS TEST .
I MEAN LIKE MY MIND HIT A BACK FLIP. SO I LOOK AT HIM LIKE WHAT THE FUCK HE TALKING. THEN I SAID YEAH. OK NOW IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS I HEARD MY MANAGER TALKING ON PHONE TRYING TO SEE HOW HE COULD GET AN EMPLOYEE FIRED BECAUSE HE WAS GOING TO BE OUT FOR A MONTH OR UNTIL HE GETS BETTER CAUSE HE WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT . ANYHOW I KNOW FIRST HAND HOW THIS COMPANY IS. NOW I'M TAKING YOU BACK TO THE FIRST DAY BECAUSE I FORGOT TO TELL 1ST DAY ON THE JOB I DIDN'T GET A LUNCHBREAK AND EVERDAY DAY AFTER THAT. PLUS MY SHIFT OFF TOP 10.5 TO 12 HOUR LONG ALSO THE MANAGER TOLD ME I GET PAY HOURLY & COMMISSION. HE SAYS IT'S SOMETHING LIKE FLAT RATE. SO TIME GOES ON AND I FIND OUT THAT I'M WORKING PAST MY SCHEDULE SHIFT WRITTED DOWN ON PAPER . BUT I'M NOT RECEIVING MY HOURLY PAY (MY MANAGER SAID MONRO FEELS AFTER YOU MAKE YOUR GUARANTEE PAY RATE THE CUSTOMER SHOULD BE PAYING YOU ) SO BASICLY I'M WORKING TOWARDS COMMISSION (TRYING TO MAKING 3000$ PLUS A WEEK) AND IF I DON'T MAKE IT THAT MEANS I'M WORKING FOR FREE AND I'M IN WHAT THEY CALL SUBSIDY. AND THE COMPANY DON'T LIKE THAT AT ALL . THIS ISN'T NO WHERE NEAR EVERYTHING I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS FUCKIN ISSUE.BUT I WILL SAY WALMART MAKES MONRO LOOK LIKE A LITTLE COMPANY . AND IF THERE EMPLOYEES FOUGHT BACK AND WON AGAINST WALMART!!! THEN WE THE EMPLOYEES OR FORMER ONES OF MONRO CAN STAND UP AND FIGHT BACK LEGALLY AND DEFEAT MONRO MUFFLER & BRAKES
 8th of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I have been working for this company for a couple of years now at store 576. Me and my coworkers have been treated really crappy. The manager (Chris Allen), is verbally abusive towards us. He destroys property when he gets upset (i.e broom sticks, clipboards, throws things ect.) I have seen people get hired, and a week later they vanish, because of how badly they were treated. I would have quit a long time ago, but it isn't easy to find a job. In the first 6 months i worked, i made the company $80, 000. i got paid crap. I'm always hearing complaining and, I am sick of it, of this company. I'm ready to lawyer up, and i think we all who have these complaints, need to step up, the more we have against them, the better things will change.
 8th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes

Monro Muffler Brakes - employee abuse
monro muffler brakes
Providence
Rhode Island

i have been an employee at this company for a couple of years now. i have seen quite a bit of how this company works. they make us work overtime and have us clock in and out at the time scheduled, because they dont want to pay us over time. they expect us to live at work, to the point people cant pick up their kids when they have to. im a very hard worker, ive worked so many unclocked hours, and days off to try to satisfy the company, and i am the fastest worker in that shop. in the first 6 months i made the company $80, 000... i got paid crap. i've been treated like crap, and same as all my coworkers whom have came and gone, as well as the current ones. ive seen people get hired, and a week later, vanish because of how poorly they were treated. the manager at store 576 (chris allen) is extremely verbally abusive, damages property when hes upset, throws and breaks shop equipment. he was even prescribed medicine to help him stay calm, which seemed to work, but he shortly stopped taking them. I was in a car accident and had a cervical sprain and some other injuries that lead me to be out for a month, and one of my coworkers heard him on the phone asking if there was a way to fire me??? why would someone do that? anyways, a more very recent event, i woke up had a bug bite of some kind. my finger was a little swollen but i was fine. next day i woke up and my entire hand was swollen about 3x its normal size and i could not move it, so i told my manager, that i had to go to the ER. he was mad of course because i was supposed to open. but again i heard from one of my coworkers, he was on the phone trying to find a way to fire me. something needs to be done about all this. me and my coworkers have already considered getting a lawyer(s). it's not right, and i can't just quit because its hard to find a job. ive heard too much complaining and its time to make some changes in this company
 9th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
i have been employee to monro for almost 7 months have made that company a little over 80, 000 and i have gotten streated like shit ever since day one.. im sick with racial comments and being discriminated for my skin color def not right .. The manager at store 576 (chris allen) is extremely verbally abusive, damages property when hes upset, throws and breaks shop equipment. His a selfish brick he doesnt care about any else but himself... he wants to treat you the way he feels like it, something doesnt come out right and yea even if his own fucked up you get blamed for it... since his the manager ( his always right) it isnt fair for me and my cowokers to keep dealing with this but since its hard to find a job right now we have no choice but to deal with it...
 15th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
This company sucks. I agree, ive been with them for 8 months now and hate it. they do not put back into there equipment or really much anything in the store. They treat there techs like crap, who are the ones making them money. they say they encourage ase certs but will not increase your percentage when you get them, and also takes 6 months to get your money back (if you pass them). Hell by then you could of quit or gotten fired. The company is growing and getting larger and still yet they hoard all the money. The biggest one though is they dont invest in their mechanics of any sort. The pay scale is messed up as well. They will drop your pay down to 7.15 an hour . The only way to make money is be the guy getting all the work while others stand around and watch. Assisant managers steal most of the work by being up front dealing with customers. SO THEY GET TO PICK AND CHOOSE. My boss treats people like shit, hes racist and doesnt like black people and stereo types, and everyone in the shop knows this, yet continous to get away with it. This company only cares about numbers and numbers only, trust mee when i say this to whoever listens. If you come from a goodyear or firestone or dealership you will notice a huge difference shop wise. These guys dont care, trust me.
 18th of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I AGREE COMPLETELY, PROBLEM IS I WORK FOR MONRO, 6 YEARS, DUMB ME, I HAVE 40 YEARS IN AUTOMOTIVE FIELD, AND SOON TO RETIRE, , TAKE YOUR CARS AND TRUCKS TO A TRUSTED INDEPENDENT, OR DEALER, , BELIVE ME DEALERS ARE 1000 TIMES BETTER, I KNOW I WORKED OVER 20 YEARS AT DEALERSHIPS, , MY GOAL IN LIFE NOW IS TO BRING DOWN MONRO AND ALL OF ITS CROOKS
 18th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I completely agree with all that i have read, i still work for a monro, sad but true, i take pride in my work and have 40 years experience, i have a district manager that is verbaly abusive and threatens your job daily, what can we do, , help me destroy monro and its greedy corporate ripoff bastards, i am currently looking for any job, just to get away from this, before i stroke out
wake up people, join the fight, there is no honesty, at monro, without auto techs there would be no monro
i cannot believe, that after reading page after page of complaints, nothing gets done, what will it take, people to be injured or killed before action is taking
working with faulty lifts, charging for upgrade oil and useing regular oil, the list goes on and on
my goal in life at this time is to destroy monro
 17th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Hey guys its the weave again. Just wanted to say that today was my last day at this dump. I finally found another job after 4 months of looking around. I can only wish the rest of you good luck in getting out of this worthless POS company, who doesn't give a chit about the techs, and tries to rip off the customers at every turn. And always remember that "Nobody beats the Weave" ;)
 20th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
I TOTALLY AGREE 576 AND IT S MANAGEMENT TEAM CARE ABOUT THEMSELVES AND THEMSELVES ONLY. WE'
RE TREATED LIKE WE'RE
NOT HUMANS (I GUESS AS EMPLOYEES WE ARE CONSIDER ROBOTS ) WE HAVE NO FEELING OUR VIEWS & OPINIONS DON'T MATTER AND WE DON'T NEED A LUNCHBREAK . SO MONRO MUFFLER & BRAKES NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR IT'S TERRIFYING ACTIONS
 29th of Mar, 2011 by    +2 Votes
as a former store manager, i have discovered how the CEO, Robert Gross is the 143rd richest person in america...he steals from his employees and makes his employees steal from his customers. How can you justify paying $8.00 for a brake rotor & assigning a list selling price of over $100.00? How can your pay plan provide technician earnings that are roughly 1/3rd of a technician at a dealership or direct competitor? How can stores be allowed to operate with outdated and potentially unsafe equiptment? How can a manager be expected to protect his company's assets when the store does not have a functional alarm system? IT IS ALL ABOUT MINIMIZING COSTS AND MAXIMIZING PROFITS AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS!!! Monro is the Walmart of the service industry! BBB, Consumer Affairs & OSHA should thorougly investigate Monro and hit Mr. Gross the only place it hurts - his wallet! The man & the monster he has created (including Mr. Tomarchio) is heartless & without concience!
 1st of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I work for them for several years and when i quite they tried to Blsck Ball me with every company I interviewed with and they stole all my stock options that i earn but now took from me because they have no exthics> this the worst company i had ever worked for> they dont care about their employees or customers just the mighty dollar> this company needs a serious wake up call.
 25th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
i have worked for Tire warehouse (who was bought out by monro a little more than a year ago) for a year now. i have moved up from tech to key holder in less then a year, where there is no asst manager it means im second in command at the shop, and there are techs that still make more then me. not to mention the fact that i cant get my check on time. i ask my boss why my check is never on time, they blame the mail, or the holidays. its all bs. i hate working for them, they say they care about employees, bull the care about making money and thats it.
 25th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
i alao agree with eevery thing that formermonroslave has said, we have post machines that have been in service for 10 and 13 years, multiple people including my self have gotten hurt bad on these machines, boss answer, be careful. all we do is tires, and we work out side with jacks, no lifts, the want us to work as fast as we can, get as many cars in the air, we get written up if we use three jacks on a car yet they dont want to buy us enough jacks to do the damn job.
 20th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
I was recently in a Monroe store in Connecticut and had a horrible experience like most here. I had the coupon for oil change, tire rotation, safety check etc. They came out telling me I had an exhaust leak I needed to get fixed, I said I know and that I would take care of it somewhere reputable. Apparently they did not like my denying their service and decided to make the leak worse. Now my car sounds like a go-kart and put puts when you let off the acceleration, this on top of not rotating my tires like I paid for. I went back today to ask about the rotated tires because I had one leaking that was mysteriously in the same place as before. The mgr said he asked me and I declined which is impossible because why would I turn down a service I was paying for. Then I mentioned that he expressed his concern over my exhaust leak and that now it was much worse. My intent was to ask if it was possible that it could deteriorate that fast but before I could ask he immediately said what you think we did something to it? I replied with no not at all, but thinking about it since that was your first reaction to my question it makes me wonder what really goes through their minds. Have they done this before? Is he paranoid because he personally has created a problem so they could fix it? How did he know I wasn't asking him because now I wanted it fixed there. Regardless Monro Muffler in Monroe, CT is now on my boycott list for life along with my entire family.

Funny side note, while I waiting originally there was a two people in the room with me, the mgr came out and told one he needed a laundry list of things, maybe 5 or 6 different parts which he did not get. After the mgr came to tell me about mine, a young lady next to me says "it's crazy, it's like they always find something wrong I hate cars!" This woman had a relationship with the shop as they knew her by name when she walked in. I wonder if she is aware she has probably been ripped off every time she bought something.
 15th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have read everything on here and cannot agree SO much. The Autotire stores purchased here in Missouri and Illinois, used to be a great outfit to work for, until Monro took over, along with their thievery, and lies to their employees. Mr. Ronsick had a waiting list of people who wanted to come work for him. You know why? Because he treated his employees like they were somebody, and it WASN'T all about the money, just like it reads over every damn work schedule that comes across our faxes here. Shame on you!! Mr. Van Heel mentioned at one manager meeting one time, how he just didn;t get it, why so many people are leaving here at Autotire. If i had to stand to guess, about 80-85% of the good hard-working knowlegdeable managers have left. Do you wanna know why?? Its the WAY you treat your employees!!! This is the midwest!! We believe in famly time here. We celebrate holidays here, NOT at work! It truly ISN'T about the almighty dollar all the time guys!! Get a clue! I hope only the worst for you and your company, and what comes around goes around. You cant keep hiring $100-120/day employees, or $8-10/hr techs and expect anything else, but what you get in return!!!
 19th of Jun, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I feel the same way. Everything on here is so true! My shop was bought out 2 years ago and already most of our good people are gone from here, because they got smart and left this hell hole. In fact all of the shops around me have all lost their good hard workers, because they ton't want to put up with the bullshit. The pricing scale they use is out of this world!! Almost 140% mark up and cheap parts used to bat! This company cares about no one but themselves! They want money, more money, and more money; and nothing in return to its woeful slave-driven employees. Shit, they can't even pay you for a holiday! I'll bet THEY get paid! This company is against family time or trying to have a family life while employed here. So sad, ...the lies they tell you. Maybe one of these days, as they say, what comes around, goes around.
 1st of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
I was employed at this sh*t hole for 2years 6 months they lie about your pay and pretend they dont know what is going on.When you ask all you get is a run around and lies lies lies stay away from this place for a job the employees are good people but the corp. is
 21st of Aug, 2011 by    0 Votes
I am a manager for a store in Pennsylvania and have found the upper management intelligent and supportive. That's not to say that we don't always see eye to eye, but there is no Job anywhere that is perfect. I have had a very pleasant experience and as the Manager it is my responsibility to maintain a good profit margin as well as manage reasonable pricing for my customers. I have worked for Goodyear, Midas, Meineke, NTB and several other private garages and have found that a 65 to 80% profit margin is average for the industry just to be able to pay the bills. What no one has mentioned is that we typically make less than 10% profit on oil changes, Maintenance services are necessary to attract business as cars are getting older and being kept longer. There are unscrupulous employees and managers in each of the companies I mentioned, but there are also a lot more GOOD PEOPLE that are effectively and efficiently performing their Jobs in these companies. The general public does not understand the overhead involved in the industry that we are in and sees our profits as overkill. If you manage an average profit of 75%, you can pay all the bills and still make a small legitimate profit! (By the way, PROFIT is not a dirty word!) If not for profit, companies would not be able to invest in new equipment or training.
 2nd of Sep, 2011 by    0 Votes
I agree with all of these complaints. I took my truck in for an oil change at Monroe Muffler in South Attleboro Mass next to BJ's. The Manager (Mike Donnelly) told me that I needed back brakes. I said really, I just replaced then 20, 000 miles ago. So, I decided to get them replaced. He is the Suppossed Professional. I told him I wanted the old brakes back so I could show my mechanic. My mechanic was on vacation. I asked him before any work was done how much was it going to cost. He quoted a price. When I received the bill it was way over the price quoted. There was actually a fee on there he never mentioned. A $15.00 shop fee. Really! I was told that was for rags and then I asked why he never stated the shop fee. He replied well it is posted in the shop. WHAT AN ASSHOLE! NEVER AGAIN WILL I USE THESE RIP OFF, DOUCHE BAG, ASSHOLES CON MAN COMPANY. I showed the old brakes to my mechanic and he stated I could of gotten another 25, 000 miles on them. The mechanic cracked 1 of the old brakes with a hammer. It is clear as day it was cracked with a hammer. WOW! I also got an oil change there. A week later the oil filter was leaking oil. The DumbASS Mechanic did not tighten the oil filter enough. I had to pay my mechanic to tighten it properly and clean up the excess oil. IF YOU WANT TO GET RIPPED OFF - GO TO MONROE. IF YOU DON'T TRY TO FIND A HONEST MECHANIC! I found out later the manager (Mike Donnelly) was promoted to another Monroe. WOW! RIPPED OFF ENOUGH PEOPLE AND THEN TIME TO RUN! MONROE MUFFLER SUCKS!
 3rd of Sep, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I also cannot agree so much with all of these complaints that Ive read. I, myself am another former employee of this dreadful company. I got sick and tired of the lies they told you. I ran a store here in St Louis for 6 years before Monro took over 2 years ago. Most of my business has been run off due to the enourmous pricing they have on everything. The shame of it is, most of the stuff they have is cheap crap, and they charge an arm and a leg for it. Im sorry, I wont rip-off a customer.
Another thing that gets to me, is how RUDE the people are there from corporate. I know it is New York, but please. Its kind of scary to see the upper big wigs from there, all decked out in their solid black. Makes you want to think they are from some satanic cult or something, when you see them march into your store. And the office peole at headquarters, oh my gosh. That is an all together whole new story. The one payroll clerk is a bitch-on wheels. Dont you dare ask her to explain your check to you, because she, like all of those other people there, do not care. She acts like it bothers her to answer the phone.
You are nothing in this company but a number to Joe Tomarchio, and his gang up there. They want to work you to death, keep you from your family, lie to your face about some fake bonus pay plan they concocted, that does nothing but pad money in THEIR pockets, and screw you in the process, ..HELLO PEOPLE!! Monro, just go away. I wish you nothing but bad, bad, bad, you evil people!

Monro Muffler Brake Logo Monro Muffler Brake