Monro Muffler & Brake

Posted:

Employee abuse

4.1
For the last four years, I have been a mechanic for Monro Muffler & Brake. The company pay plan is based on a percentage commission for work performed. Even though I have proven, (when given the chance), that I could be as productive as most of their other mechanics, I have been blocked from making money by unscrupulous managers, and assistant managers. As it stands right now, I am almost penniless from this unfair company's ridiculous pay plan, and the latest manager I work under, is a loud mouthed, abusive person with delusions of godhood, who threatens to fire almost every employee every day, and today, he robbed me of income. I ask all who read this to go elsewhere for service, if you have used, or considered using Monro for service. Please put this vile company out of business!
Complaint comments Comments (65) Complaint country United States Complaint category Products & Services

Comments

8th of Jan, 2011 by    +2 Votes
Thanks guys I thought my market 11 was the only one like this I guess the whole company sucks to work for.
 6th of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I GRADUATED FROM MTTI 7/21/2010 BUT I'M A MECHANIC BY BLOOD!!!
I STARTED WORKING AT MONRO IN RHODE ISLAND ON 8/9/2010 ANYWAY WITHIN THE FIRST
WEEK I COULD SMELL A SNAKE!!! LISTEN I'M A GROWN MAN TRYING TO CHANGE MY LIFE AROUND . ANYWAY IT WAS THE3RD OR 4TH DAY AND MY MANAGER IS GONNA ASK ME ARE YOU STILL BROKE OR COULD YOU GET 50$ TO TAKETHE EMISSIONS TEST .
I MEAN LIKE MY MIND HIT A BACK FLIP. SO I LOOK AT HIM LIKE WHAT THE FUCK HE TALKING. THEN I SAID YEAH. OK NOW IN THE NEXT COUPLE OF DAYS I HEARD MY MANAGER TALKING ON PHONE TRYING TO SEE HOW HE COULD GET AN EMPLOYEE FIRED BECAUSE HE WAS GOING TO BE OUT FOR A MONTH OR UNTIL HE GETS BETTER CAUSE HE WAS IN A CAR ACCIDENT . ANYHOW I KNOW FIRST HAND HOW THIS COMPANY IS. NOW I'M TAKING YOU BACK TO THE FIRST DAY BECAUSE I FORGOT TO TELL 1ST DAY ON THE JOB I DIDN'T GET A LUNCHBREAK AND EVERDAY DAY AFTER THAT. PLUS MY SHIFT OFF TOP 10.5 TO 12 HOUR LONG ALSO THE MANAGER TOLD ME I GET PAY HOURLY & COMMISSION. HE SAYS IT'S SOMETHING LIKE FLAT RATE. SO TIME GOES ON AND I FIND OUT THAT I'M WORKING PAST MY SCHEDULE SHIFT WRITTED DOWN ON PAPER . BUT I'M NOT RECEIVING MY HOURLY PAY (MY MANAGER SAID MONRO FEELS AFTER YOU MAKE YOUR GUARANTEE PAY RATE THE CUSTOMER SHOULD BE PAYING YOU ) SO BASICLY I'M WORKING TOWARDS COMMISSION (TRYING TO MAKING 3000$ PLUS A WEEK) AND IF I DON'T MAKE IT THAT MEANS I'M WORKING FOR FREE AND I'M IN WHAT THEY CALL SUBSIDY. AND THE COMPANY DON'T LIKE THAT AT ALL . THIS ISN'T NO WHERE NEAR EVERYTHING I HAVE TO SAY ABOUT THIS FUCKIN ISSUE.BUT I WILL SAY WALMART MAKES MONRO LOOK LIKE A LITTLE COMPANY . AND IF THERE EMPLOYEES FOUGHT BACK AND WON AGAINST WALMART!!! THEN WE THE EMPLOYEES OR FORMER ONES OF MONRO CAN STAND UP AND FIGHT BACK LEGALLY AND DEFEAT MONRO MUFFLER & BRAKES
 8th of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I have been working for this company for a couple of years now at store 576. Me and my coworkers have been treated really crappy. The manager (Chris Allen), is verbally abusive towards us. He destroys property when he gets upset (i.e broom sticks, clipboards, throws things ect.) I have seen people get hired, and a week later they vanish, because of how badly they were treated. I would have quit a long time ago, but it isn't easy to find a job. In the first 6 months i worked, i made the company $80, 000. i got paid crap. I'm always hearing complaining and, I am sick of it, of this company. I'm ready to lawyer up, and i think we all who have these complaints, need to step up, the more we have against them, the better things will change.
 8th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes

Monro Muffler Brakes - employee abuse
monro muffler brakes
Providence
Rhode Island

i have been an employee at this company for a couple of years now. i have seen quite a bit of how this company works. they make us work overtime and have us clock in and out at the time scheduled, because they dont want to pay us over time. they expect us to live at work, to the point people cant pick up their kids when they have to. im a very hard worker, ive worked so many unclocked hours, and days off to try to satisfy the company, and i am the fastest worker in that shop. in the first 6 months i made the company $80, 000... i got paid crap. i've been treated like crap, and same as all my coworkers whom have came and gone, as well as the current ones. ive seen people get hired, and a week later, vanish because of how poorly they were treated. the manager at store 576 (chris allen) is extremely verbally abusive, damages property when hes upset, throws and breaks shop equipment. he was even prescribed medicine to help him stay calm, which seemed to work, but he shortly stopped taking them. I was in a car accident and had a cervical sprain and some other injuries that lead me to be out for a month, and one of my coworkers heard him on the phone asking if there was a way to fire me??? why would someone do that? anyways, a more very recent event, i woke up had a bug bite of some kind. my finger was a little swollen but i was fine. next day i woke up and my entire hand was swollen about 3x its normal size and i could not move it, so i told my manager, that i had to go to the ER. he was mad of course because i was supposed to open. but again i heard from one of my coworkers, he was on the phone trying to find a way to fire me. something needs to be done about all this. me and my coworkers have already considered getting a lawyer(s). it's not right, and i can't just quit because its hard to find a job. ive heard too much complaining and its time to make some changes in this company
 9th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
i have been employee to monro for almost 7 months have made that company a little over 80, 000 and i have gotten streated like shit ever since day one.. im sick with racial comments and being discriminated for my skin color def not right .. The manager at store 576 (chris allen) is extremely verbally abusive, damages property when hes upset, throws and breaks shop equipment. His a selfish brick he doesnt care about any else but himself... he wants to treat you the way he feels like it, something doesnt come out right and yea even if his own fucked up you get blamed for it... since his the manager ( his always right) it isnt fair for me and my cowokers to keep dealing with this but since its hard to find a job right now we have no choice but to deal with it...
 15th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
This company sucks. I agree, ive been with them for 8 months now and hate it. they do not put back into there equipment or really much anything in the store. They treat there techs like crap, who are the ones making them money. they say they encourage ase certs but will not increase your percentage when you get them, and also takes 6 months to get your money back (if you pass them). Hell by then you could of quit or gotten fired. The company is growing and getting larger and still yet they hoard all the money. The biggest one though is they dont invest in their mechanics of any sort. The pay scale is messed up as well. They will drop your pay down to 7.15 an hour . The only way to make money is be the guy getting all the work while others stand around and watch. Assisant managers steal most of the work by being up front dealing with customers. SO THEY GET TO PICK AND CHOOSE. My boss treats people like shit, hes racist and doesnt like black people and stereo types, and everyone in the shop knows this, yet continous to get away with it. This company only cares about numbers and numbers only, trust mee when i say this to whoever listens. If you come from a goodyear or firestone or dealership you will notice a huge difference shop wise. These guys dont care, trust me.
 18th of Feb, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I AGREE COMPLETELY, PROBLEM IS I WORK FOR MONRO, 6 YEARS, DUMB ME, I HAVE 40 YEARS IN AUTOMOTIVE FIELD, AND SOON TO RETIRE, , TAKE YOUR CARS AND TRUCKS TO A TRUSTED INDEPENDENT, OR DEALER, , BELIVE ME DEALERS ARE 1000 TIMES BETTER, I KNOW I WORKED OVER 20 YEARS AT DEALERSHIPS, , MY GOAL IN LIFE NOW IS TO BRING DOWN MONRO AND ALL OF ITS CROOKS
 18th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I completely agree with all that i have read, i still work for a monro, sad but true, i take pride in my work and have 40 years experience, i have a district manager that is verbaly abusive and threatens your job daily, what can we do, , help me destroy monro and its greedy corporate ripoff bastards, i am currently looking for any job, just to get away from this, before i stroke out
wake up people, join the fight, there is no honesty, at monro, without auto techs there would be no monro
i cannot believe, that after reading page after page of complaints, nothing gets done, what will it take, people to be injured or killed before action is taking
working with faulty lifts, charging for upgrade oil and useing regular oil, the list goes on and on
my goal in life at this time is to destroy monro
 17th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
Hey guys its the weave again. Just wanted to say that today was my last day at this dump. I finally found another job after 4 months of looking around. I can only wish the rest of you good luck in getting out of this worthless POS company, who doesn't give a chit about the techs, and tries to rip off the customers at every turn. And always remember that "Nobody beats the Weave" ;)
 20th of Mar, 2011 by    0 Votes
I TOTALLY AGREE 576 AND IT S MANAGEMENT TEAM CARE ABOUT THEMSELVES AND THEMSELVES ONLY. WE'
RE TREATED LIKE WE'RE
NOT HUMANS (I GUESS AS EMPLOYEES WE ARE CONSIDER ROBOTS ) WE HAVE NO FEELING OUR VIEWS & OPINIONS DON'T MATTER AND WE DON'T NEED A LUNCHBREAK . SO MONRO MUFFLER & BRAKES NEEDS TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR IT'S TERRIFYING ACTIONS
 29th of Mar, 2011 by    +2 Votes
as a former store manager, i have discovered how the CEO, Robert Gross is the 143rd richest person in america...he steals from his employees and makes his employees steal from his customers. How can you justify paying $8.00 for a brake rotor & assigning a list selling price of over $100.00? How can your pay plan provide technician earnings that are roughly 1/3rd of a technician at a dealership or direct competitor? How can stores be allowed to operate with outdated and potentially unsafe equiptment? How can a manager be expected to protect his company's assets when the store does not have a functional alarm system? IT IS ALL ABOUT MINIMIZING COSTS AND MAXIMIZING PROFITS AT THE EXPENSE OF YOUR EMPLOYEES AND CUSTOMERS!!! Monro is the Walmart of the service industry! BBB, Consumer Affairs & OSHA should thorougly investigate Monro and hit Mr. Gross the only place it hurts - his wallet! The man & the monster he has created (including Mr. Tomarchio) is heartless & without concience!
 1st of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
I work for them for several years and when i quite they tried to Blsck Ball me with every company I interviewed with and they stole all my stock options that i earn but now took from me because they have no exthics> this the worst company i had ever worked for> they dont care about their employees or customers just the mighty dollar> this company needs a serious wake up call.
 25th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
i have worked for Tire warehouse (who was bought out by monro a little more than a year ago) for a year now. i have moved up from tech to key holder in less then a year, where there is no asst manager it means im second in command at the shop, and there are techs that still make more then me. not to mention the fact that i cant get my check on time. i ask my boss why my check is never on time, they blame the mail, or the holidays. its all bs. i hate working for them, they say they care about employees, bull the care about making money and thats it.
 25th of Apr, 2011 by    +1 Votes
i alao agree with eevery thing that formermonroslave has said, we have post machines that have been in service for 10 and 13 years, multiple people including my self have gotten hurt bad on these machines, boss answer, be careful. all we do is tires, and we work out side with jacks, no lifts, the want us to work as fast as we can, get as many cars in the air, we get written up if we use three jacks on a car yet they dont want to buy us enough jacks to do the damn job.
 8th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes

Monro Muffler Brake & Service - Bad service
Monro Muffler Brake & Service

I have a 2005 V6 Ford Mustang and have been driving it for 5 years, the car is in almost perfect condition except a minor problem with handbrake which I noticed 3 years ago – handbrake still woks but is very stiff and difficult to pull up – but this doesn’t affect driving at all. But a month ago my wife asked me to fix the handbrake anyway because she needed it for road test.
Then I drove my car to Monro in March 2011 to have someone check the handbrake. They told me that the front brake pads need to be replaced, also they will lubricate the handbrake cable to see if that will fix the issue or not. And after the repair I noticed that the handbrake didn’t improve so I brought my car back in April 2011 to have them re-check it. The guy (probably manager) said the handbrake cable should be replaced but the cable is not in stock and will be available by late May. Since I still need my car for daily use I decided to drive it back until the cable is available.
The day when I took my car back, right after I got into my car I immediately noticed that the handbrake is loosened (no resistance at all) and after just a few minutes’ drive I smelled brake rubber burning, I realized that they had done something wrong to my car and didn’t put everything back properly. I have to stop my car on the road side and called Monro (tel: 617-770-0155):

Me: ‘what is going on with my car, why rear brake is locked?’
Monro: ‘brake cables need replacement… I don’t encourage you to drive your car’
Me: ‘Then why you didn’t tell me in first place’
Monro: ‘I told you that, your car is not drivable’
I was pretty SURE that guy didn’t mention anything that my car has become un-drivable either in the phone or at the counter but I didn’t want to waste time quarrelling so I hang up and have it towed back to my garage.
And the worse part comes – After one month waiting I called Monro wondering if they could provide an update for availability of brake cable, and apparently they have forgotten it at all.

After reminding him (Manager Ralph?) he told me ‘the cable will be available in end of June’. Me: ‘but you said it should be available in May, I don’t want to wait for another month’

Monro: ‘I didn’t say that, I said June’
Me: ‘You said very clearly that the cable is in back order and will be available in May’
Monro: ‘…I will check with Ford again and call you back’
Nor surprisingly I never got call back, so I decide to go to the Monro auto repair shop again to talk to them face by face.
Me: ‘Have you checked with Ford?’
Monro Manger: ‘yes, it will be available by the end of June’
Me: ‘I don’t want to have it repaired here anymore, please put everything back in my car and restore it to its original drivable condition’
Monro Manager: ‘We didn’t do anything to your car, when you brought it here it was un-drivable’
Me (don’t know how he would be so shameless): ‘I have been driving it for 5 years, when I brought it here it is in perfect drivable condition, the rear brakes are not locked’
Monro Manager: ‘it was un-drivable’
Me: ‘This is the second time I am here, the first time you guys replaced the front brake just a month ago, and how could you say it was un-drivable. I drove my car here for repair, not towed it here, and I have to tow it back after your Repair?’
Monro Manager: ‘you have driven it for a month and put a few hundred mileages on it and it has become un-drivable after that …’
Well, I gave up, had my car repaired by another Ford dealer, don’t want to talk to this Monro Manager guy who is totally without sense of shame and keep lying to his customers once and once again. He may look friendly but actually is dishonest and doesn’t even acknowledge what he has said to his customer. So be cautious if you ever consider get your car repaired there except very basic maintenance like oil change. They may damage your car and will never confess what they have done.
 20th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
I was recently in a Monroe store in Connecticut and had a horrible experience like most here. I had the coupon for oil change, tire rotation, safety check etc. They came out telling me I had an exhaust leak I needed to get fixed, I said I know and that I would take care of it somewhere reputable. Apparently they did not like my denying their service and decided to make the leak worse. Now my car sounds like a go-kart and put puts when you let off the acceleration, this on top of not rotating my tires like I paid for. I went back today to ask about the rotated tires because I had one leaking that was mysteriously in the same place as before. The mgr said he asked me and I declined which is impossible because why would I turn down a service I was paying for. Then I mentioned that he expressed his concern over my exhaust leak and that now it was much worse. My intent was to ask if it was possible that it could deteriorate that fast but before I could ask he immediately said what you think we did something to it? I replied with no not at all, but thinking about it since that was your first reaction to my question it makes me wonder what really goes through their minds. Have they done this before? Is he paranoid because he personally has created a problem so they could fix it? How did he know I wasn't asking him because now I wanted it fixed there. Regardless Monro Muffler in Monroe, CT is now on my boycott list for life along with my entire family.

Funny side note, while I waiting originally there was a two people in the room with me, the mgr came out and told one he needed a laundry list of things, maybe 5 or 6 different parts which he did not get. After the mgr came to tell me about mine, a young lady next to me says "it's crazy, it's like they always find something wrong I hate cars!" This woman had a relationship with the shop as they knew her by name when she walked in. I wonder if she is aware she has probably been ripped off every time she bought something.
 20th of May, 2011 by    0 Votes

6th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

Monro Muffler Brake & Service - Work not done
Monro Muffler Brake & Service

I took my 1999 Dodge Ram into Monro Muffler and Brake today to have in inspected and the front end alignment done. I called them 8 hours later and asked if my truck as done and they told me I could pick it up at any time. I should add I had to take a day off work to have my truck worked on, but any way when I got there I asked if the alignment had been done and I was told yes and what a hard job it was. Well on the drive home it was driving just as it had done before I took it there pulling to the right. WHen I did get it home I got under the truck to have a look and it hasn't been worked on at all. The bolts still had the deart in the slip joint nuts on the ball joints and rust on the bolts. You can tell if it has been worked on and it hasn't. I did call and was told they were so sorry and to bring it back tomorrow and the job would be done. This just makes me sick to think that this same thing is being done to people that have no clues about work that is done on there car and or truck and lied too. This also means I have to take another day off of work to make sure the work is done this time around.
 6th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

Monro Muffler Brake & Service - Cut a hole in our car
Monro Muffler Brake & Service

We went to monro to get our muffler fixed since it had to leaks in it. They called me and said that our car needed 2 new O2 censors, so i told them to put them in, Well the bill came to 700.00 and 5 minutes after I left our car started jumping and acting like someone learning how to drive a standard for the first time, we took our car back to monro 3 times, and told them your car never did this until you touched it, well we took it to a different auto shop, and they told us that Monro had cut a hole in the bottom of your car to get one of the O2 censors in, and they messed everything up, the O2 censor that we just had monro put in had to be replaced already just 3 weeks later, a new bracket put in, since monro striped the wires on the censor when they put it in, and had to have new plugs since will the O2 censor not firing right they got burnt, and we just had plugs put in 5 months ago, so after going to monro we spent another 1000.00 to get our car fixed from what they did to it so all in all, to total bill came to 1900.00 because of rental cars and all the parts and labor I reported them to the BBB and are in the process of recieving all our money back stay away from them, they wont do anything but make your little problem a huge one.
 8th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes

Monro Muffler Brake & Service - Worst company ever
Monro Muffler Brake & Service

A year ago paid $700 for a muffler, yesterday the tailpipe fell off on the highway. Brought it in since this is not the life span of a new one. I was told it would cost$262 now to repair. When I complained that this is faulty equipment and tailpipes don't just fall off, I was told to complain to the parts supplier and given the number. I continued complaining and when I asked if this happens again in a year will it cost me $262 again, was told ya probably!!! Are they insane? This muffler now cost me $1, 000 and I have complained to corporate office to no avail also so they train their help well. Screw the customer and we'll do it too! They also melted my bumper by putting pipe right against the bumper when it was replaced a year ago.

Monro Muffler Brake Logo Monro Muffler Brake