logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
hackhimnow.com
They started to steal from me
2. (1 mins ago)
Lumera
Their terms and conditions are fake
3. (2 mins ago)
Business / Personal Loan Offer
Apply urgent loan offer
4. (2 mins ago)
Prime Group
Terrible company!
5. (18 mins ago)
Southern Energy Homes
roof leaks and horrible customer service

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Cetty Brocker

False advertising & poor policies

Modcloth.com
modcloth.com
I've ran into two separate occasions where this website has screwed me over.

#01. Returned a dress that did not fit properly. Dress cost $54.99. Put it in its original packing and returned it in a timely matter. Got an email later that said, "Thanks, your return has been received and you will be credited $49.49 (cost of dress - 10% discount used)." I could barely get the dress on let alone use it!

#02. Decided to give Modcloth another try because I needed (and still do need!) a decent dress for New Year's Eve. On two different spots on the website, it said something along the lines of, "Get it by New Year's Eve! Free overnight shipping with promo code 'hurryup'! Order by midnight 12/28!" I ordered at approximately 11:28 p.m. CST, 12/28. The website did not specify which time zone they were in, but I figured since the offer was still up, they must be either CST or PST (as opposed to EST), so I would be safe.

2 days later and no order. In fact, it hasn't even shipped. It's still pending. I looked and they are based out of Pennsylvania, so the code probably only worked if you got your order in by 11:59 EST, not CST like I did. Fair enough, but then they should have made sure the code was taken down by that time, too, instead of promising free overnight shipping for hours after! I'm really, really disappointed and will not be ordering with this company ever again.
Comments United States Clothing, Shoes & Acc
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Dec, 2009 by   Braiden +1 Votes
My name is Braiden and I'm a Customer Care Team Lead at ModCloth. I would like to extend our deepest apologies for the frustration you've experienced with our company and offer a few explanations (though not excuses) for the each situation.

First, we deducted 10% from your refund because of a coupon you used during the checkout process. You placed an order for a dress that cost $54.99, but since you used a ten percent coupon, in effect, you only paid $49.49 for the merchandise. Our returns team issued this reduced refund because you used the coupon, and not because the item appeared used. It's an easy mistake, but I hope this explanation clears up any miscommunication.

As for the delay on your New Years shipment, this is entirely our fault. Yesterday, our shipping program froze for a good portion of the afternoon and we weren't able to ship all the expedited orders slated to leave our distribution center. As of today (12/30), the program is up and running and our shipping team is scrambling to get all the delayed orders out the door.

I'm very sorry for this delay, and you can be sure that we're doing everything in our power to get all overnight orders out before the end of the shipping day.

I would contact you directly, but I'm having difficulty locating your order with the information provided on this site. Please contact us at 1-888-195-9699, or email us at support@modcloth.com

Again, we're very sorry for our mistake. I hope we're able to remedy this to your satisfaction.
 29th of Aug, 2010 by   mechanty 0 Votes
modcloth has the most poorly constructed clothes...to a point where it is shocking. i have never, in any store by any manufacturer, seen clothes that have serious structural errors. it is as if no one tries them on or even looks at them before they are considered finished. their jewelry, however, is totally fine. i have bought 4 dresses from them but i will never be back and i would advise anyone not to purchase from them.
modcloth---you need to seriously get better clothing makers!! you cannot charge 50 dollars minimum for something so poorly made!
 9th of Mar, 2011 by   fidgefodge 0 Votes
I agree in part with some of the posters. I too am a frequent purchaser on ModCloth but have generally been disappointed by the product after seeing it in person. The images seem to shield areas of a garment that they shouldn't. Sizing tends to be an issue as well, as they purchase their products from a number of different designers so the measurements stated on their website are incorrect. The fabric is usually much cheaper looking/feeling than they describe on the site (especially at their prices! I can get better quality and cheaper products at forever21!).

I keep hoping that my next purchase will be better but so far it hasn't. My boyfriend purchased a necklace for me for valentines day, instead of got the "tabs" rings instead, someone has mislabelled the package. I eventually got my necklace, just way after the intended date.

I do love the appearance of their garments in their photos but not so much up close. Here's hoping the next purchase is better. However I've also been seeing their products on other websites for cheaper, so I may start browsing other sites from now on, especially if their $89.00 dresses arrive and are continually cheap looking.

However one good thing about them is their customer service. They always seem to be good at getting me information, whether or not the solution is any good is another story.
 9th of Oct, 2011 by   victrix 0 Votes
I totally agree. Modcloth's products appear cheaper in person. They have terrible customer service. I will share my own experience.

Very poor customer service. Stay away from them. I ordered an item $44.99 + $7 shipping. The item arrived, however, I was not pleased at all because the material looks so cheap, I would not even bother to wear it. I asked for a return, they would not allow me, according to them the item I bought clearly stated that it cannot be returned or exchange. It was the first time I heard of such policy. Anywhere I buy whether the item is on sale or not it can always be returned. As the saying goes "Customer is always right".

Anyway, a day day after I requested for refund, I decided to check back on the item at their website and found out it was listed half the price of what I paid for at $19.99. I called them and they issued me a a store credit of $25. They should have agreed to issue store refund of $55.26 instead, since they sold the item to me twice the price. Anyway, realising that it's better to get something back than none at all, I placed 3 items immediately in lieu of the $25 store credit and was expecting a free shipping, since they owe me explanation of why I paid double for the first item and they do not want to issue any refund or return at all. If I have ordered all items at one time (the item I was returning and the 3 items I bought as store credit) I should have only paid 1 time shipping. Nevertheless, again, they don't want to give me free shipping. About 15 minutes after I placed my order, I decided to change 1 item to another item totally the same kind but different design which I added to my wish list, according to them they cannot do it any more. Their customer service representative stated: "Once an item is ordered it cannot be changed any more." Very, very, very poor customer service, 15 minutes after placing order, YOU CAN NEVER CHANGE IT AT ALL!!! Totally not fair! So Buyers... beware!
 24th of Nov, 2013 by   tayzers 0 Votes
I should have investigated their practices before placing an order. I ordered a swimsuit from them. When I received the confirming e-mail order I noticed that the swimsuit was NOT the same pattern that I had ordered. I called them, immediately, and then they claimed that it was "too late" to change the order. They changed it, NOT I. I KNOW what I ordered. I told them there was no way I am accepting their package, I am refusing delivery and contesting the charge through Mastercard. They aren't getting a dime out of me. They can go to hell. THIS is business? I think not.
 24th of Nov, 2013 by   tayzers 0 Votes
By the way, my husband is an excellent retired attorney. We can spend as much time with this and it's no skin off our noses. Just try to screw with us, Modcloth. We don't take kindly to being hoodwinked.
 11th of Apr, 2014 by   Waiting and waiting 0 Votes
Been waiting for three days and my order is still "pending". Need to get my order before this coming Wednesday for my daughter. Not feeling too good about this...
 6th of Jun, 2014 by   aardv 0 Votes
Anytime I have sent an item for a return, they've found a reason to give me store credit instead of refunding my purchase, even if the items were completely unworn and still had tags. I sent some clothes back a couple of weeks ago and have heard nothing from them re: receiving my return. I'm sure they'll wait to email me once the 30 day refund period is up (like they did last time even though I mailed my return the same week I received the item) so they have the excuse of only issuing store credit again.

Chinese Nuke Scam