logo

over charge

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Microsoft Xbox Live Complaints & Reviews - How to Cancel XBox Live account: cancel your credit card

Microsoft Xbox Live Contacts & Informations

Microsoft Xbox Live

Posted: 2011-11-09 by    D. W. G.

How to Cancel XBox Live account: cancel your credit card

Microsoft XBox Live
I created an annually-renewing XBox Live account for my son in 2005 using my Bank of America Visa, which was set to expire on 05/07. BofA "upgraded" me shortly before the card's expiration, so I got not only a new expiration date, but even a new card number. My son moved on to Playstation in 2007, but I didn't worry about the account renewing again in 2008 because I did not associate the new card number with the XBox account, nor did I give Microsoft the new card's expiration date.

But in October of 2008, I was charged for the annual renewal - on the new card number. Much to my surprise/dismay, I learned that that's actually legal.

When I got the renewal notice in July of 2009, I called to cancel the XBox account. This was a difficult task due to the change in the credit card number, but I finally got the cancellation - or so I thought.
The annual renewal charge appeared on my October 2010 statement. Unfortunately, I failed to review my card statement carefully, so I didn't learn about it until several months later.

I called again to cancel in 2010 (sometime in May, I think), but by this time, I had no record or recollection of the original card number, and Microsoft couldn't locate the billing information without that number. After spending well over an hour on the phone (following a 20-minute wait before getting an agent), providing all sorts of other information, I thought I had the XBox account cancelled.

That is, until I received the notice of renewal in July, 2011. I called to cancel yet again, but was not successful because Microsoft again couldn't locate my account record. My only recourse at this point was to contact BofA and dispute the charge. That happened during the last few days of July, 2011.

In late October, I received notice from BofA that "the merchant provided convincing information that you (I) did engage in this transaction...", along with copies of screen shots provided by Microsoft of my account activity *including a record of my attempted cancellation on 7/26* (I still fail to understand how Microsoft could have been "unable to find my account information" when I called on 7/26 yet have that notation on the record!) But hallelujah, those screen prints gave me enough information! Microsoft had blacked out all but the last four digits of the card number, but I was just able to read it with a bit of creative backlighting.

So I've now cancelled the account, but since it's now November, Microsoft won't refund the charge, despite the fact that there's been no activity on the account for three years.

Given the history, I absolutely *WILL NOT TRUST MICROSOFT* to acy cancel the XBox account. The only way I will feel comfortable is to cancel my Bank of America Visa. But that's no loss - It's outrageous that BofA (or any credit card company) will allow a merchant to charge an expired card or a card with a deprecated number. It may be legal, but that doesn't make it right.
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Health Care Without Insurance - Medishare