logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (25 mins ago)
Lifecream
I don’t know how to stop bogus charges
2. (28 mins ago)
World Financial Group
Fraud
3. (43 mins ago)
Ocean Investment Group
Scam
4. (43 mins ago)
Nowlucky.com
Fake charge and no prize
5. (52 mins ago)
Cheap Flight Air
Did not receive Air Tickets

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Michaels Arts and Crafts, Modesto, California Complaints & Reviews - Problem with returns

Michaels Arts and Crafts Contacts & Informations

Michaels Arts and Crafts

Posted:    Valerie

Problem with returns

Michaels Arts and Crafts
Modesto, California
I tried to return an item that was packaged in a way that it had to be torn open and couldn't be repackaged. It was the workings of a clock that I needed to try and see if it would fit. It didn't. They wouldn't take it back because I had opened it. I had my receipt in hand. Since then I have contacted Michael's by email and all I get are form replies. They tell me that I can return an item in original condition. Now, how can you do that if you have to tear open a package to try an item out?? Now they don't even respond to my emails. This has been going on since July. Great customer no-service.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

29th of Nov, 2008 by   cindy 0 Votes
How many packages should they let you "tear apart" until you are satisfied?
perhaps you could figure out what you need before you purchase your item so you wont need to return it.
 30th of Mar, 2009 by   Chic +1 Votes
You can't sell a product that has been ripped to shreads...get a grip You have obviously NEVER worked in retail...
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   Ann -2 Votes
This person should absolutely have been allowed to return the clock parts--it is you 'chic' who have obviously never worked in retail, otherwise you'd know that returns are part of retail life and a way to maintain customer good will and loyalty. No wonder these companies are going bankrupt. These are economic times when they should be courting their customers, not clutching on to every stinkin' dime that comes through the till. This Michael's store get's an "F"--
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   whatever -1 Votes
why should any corporation kiss the ground a person walks on. yes, good customer service...blah, blah, blah. WHATEVER. the recepit says that the item can only be returned in its original condition. so get over it. and it is the customers that clutch on to every stinkin' dime that comes there way. using a F'in coupon for a dollar item...like you have to be kidding me. and especially when they want to use more than one, when it states "one coupon per customer per day". the customer is wrong and the corporation is wrong for allowing the customers for getting away with bloody murder.
 11th of Apr, 2009 by   jamakaka 0 Votes
Careful who and what you complain about. At Michael's a complaint against a store employee is grounds for dismissal.
 18th of Apr, 2009 by   Ann 0 Votes
Whatever, why you read into these messages a call for corporations to "kiss the ground" is odd...all I'm saying is returns are part of doing business...get over it.
 22nd of Apr, 2009 by   Whatever -1 Votes
Ann, you obviously did not get what i was trying to say. seems as if you are like any other stuck up bitch that goes into michaels... get over being a stuck up bitch and wanting everything your way.
 26th of Apr, 2009 by   Ann -1 Votes
LOLOL Oh, I get it now, you WORK there! You so eloquently portray the very Michael's culture I wrote about! How choice! Corporate must be very proud of you...pin a medal on this one!

p.s. I do pity those who are stuck living/working with you, though
 28th of Apr, 2009 by   Whatever 0 Votes
No, I do not work there. LOL. I've been there and seen how customers are while checking out on line myself.

And also, I pity anyone who knows you and feel bad with anyone who has to deal with your stuck up snotty self.
 1st of Jun, 2009 by   Monique -1 Votes
A sad fact of life just happens to be that she who bitches the loudest gets what she wants. Just didn't happen here! :D
 6th of Jul, 2009 by   Ann 0 Votes
I'm sure Michael's is glad to have your kind for a customer...as I said, your language and attitude dovetail nicely with their culture. You and Michael's have a wonderful life. Peace :-D
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   Whatever -2 Votes
*Laughing My Ass Off* Your language and attitude is not all that much better. You certaintly are no saint.
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   Lily1990 +1 Votes
Some returns can be made with the package open...I have sadly worked at one of the Michaels stores (not fun let me tell you) and in fact as for the clock item if it is opened carefully, we do have a a simple tape machine that will seal it back up and be perfectly fine for the next customer to buy...therefore leaving both parties happy. On the other hand, Michaels is not a good company to work for. They treat their employees with very little respect and make you feel like a nobody...and they are also most often rude to the customers leaving it to the Cashiers and Front End Supervisors (like I was) to try and make the customers happy which puts the stress mostly on us and for that I would like to sincerely apologize to all of you who have had a bad shopping experience there even tho I am not one you have had to deal with because I come from Canada.
 12th of Feb, 2010 by   aca392 0 Votes
First of all, I have worked for Michaels for over a year now. I can say that I do enjoy my job most of the time, it's the customers that make my job a living hell most days. Yes, we can take SOME items that have been opened, granted that we can fix the packaging to sell it again. If you are careful opening your packages, then chances are we can still return it for you. Yes, the return policy states that it must be in its original condition. As for items that come in clear plastic wrap, make sure you still have it, and the bar code. The thing that customers complain in my store about most often is the other part of the return policy, the part that takes 20% off any item you do not have a receipt for. "Well can't you just look it up by my card like Walmart or Target does?" No, we can't. In case you haven't noticed, our registers are not equipped to do things like that. Coupons is something else that I absolutely hate dealing with. No, you can't use more than one (in our store we will accept more than one only if they are DIFFERENT coupons). No, I will not accept another coupon if you do a different transaction. I like my job, and I don't want to lose it over saving a customer a dollar or two. Chances are you have more money than I do in the first place. That's why I have to work for a retail store. I will agree on the fact that management could be doing a bit better, but over all that is the least of the concerns that need to be dealt with. Some days I wish that there was a person I could complain to about customers to make them know that they are rude.
 8th of Mar, 2011 by   ab3000 -1 Votes
When complaining about a company, first try talking to the managment in a reasonable way to ask why the product can't be returned. Michaels has an "origional condition" return policy because unlike some stores, there is no "return to vendor". Return to vendor allows the company to send the product back, and if they can't, they must eat the entire purchase price. Returning items damaged in that way causes prices to get higher, and stores to do poorly. When buying items like clock parts that require a measurement, try measuring hte piece you are fitting the clock part into for the size you need. Taking a little personal responsibility can keep retail stores from making harsh return policies and jacking prices.
 5th of Jun, 2013 by   M-M-M&M 0 Votes
What part of "item must be returned in its original and unopened condition" do people not understand? I mean, seriously. How hard is it to read the return policy, which is printed on EVERY receipt?

Sure, if the packaging looks nice enough to where we can simply take/staple it back together, yes, we will take the return. But for items whose packaging is "torn up, " no we will not take them back.
 9th of Aug, 2013 by   dandy dan 0 Votes
I have been a customer of Michaels for a long time and after 2006 I began to see a change in its operations and merchandise. At that time the company was bought up by Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group. They discontinued the quality products once carried and began to import products from their companies owned in China and other overseas companies. They reduced the staffing in each store while they continued to expand. They exported American jobs overseas, began hiring lousy management, increased the workload for employees while reducing their hours to get around paying benefits. They may be a 6 billion dollar corporation but they have place a 3 billion dollar debt on the Company. Every employee in the stores around the U.S. is overworked and underpaid, that includes Manager of the Stores. Management does not respect the employees and treats them as insignificant. They are constantly hiring because they are replacing people who won't take the abuse. When they took over in 2006 Bain Capital and the Blackstone Group increased prices 25% across the board and began the selling of poor quality mechandise. That 40% coupon is no deal. Most of the products are 300% mark up. Do the research like I have done. Check out complaints, both customer and employee. The fat cats who sit on the top are only interested in making their millions per year. They are not customer or employee focused at all.
 8th of Nov, 2013 by   right 'type' of guy 0 Votes
It's no surprise that Michael's stores get so many consumer complaints. Even design professionals are treated like trash by both the Legal Dept. and the CEO's office.

Despite two certified letters, numerous calls that went unreturned and a "we're bigger than you" mentality, I am the victim of a creative rights ripoff as a digital type designer who had one of his fonts used for the manufacture of derivative products, and the company won't even DISCUSS the issue with me, despite the fact they have profited from the sale of these items and I haven't.

This immediately made me a former customer as well... and while I won't take the easy opportunity of verbally debasing them in a forum, I will say that their ethic level must be bellw zero to not even respond to an issue and try to amicably find a solution.

Every dollar that company loses in reduced net sales is a point in the favor of anyone who has ever been victimized by them.

The Dumbest Ways To Borrow Money