logo

1. (0 mins ago)
Luminess Air
Thieves
2. (2 mins ago)
Advanced Pain Management Phoenix Az Dr. Brian Page, D.O., Advanced Pain Management
3. (6 mins ago)
Scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

MetLife Disability Insurance Complaints & Reviews - Defrauded by disability MetLife insurer!

MetLife Disability Insurance Contacts & Informations

MetLife Disability Insurance

Posted:    Valerie

Defrauded by disability MetLife insurer!

Absolutely do not buy Met Life disability. I bought it thru Kindred health care. In 2000 I became disabled. I was not worried because I had purchased Met Life who promised me 30% of my income as long as I was disabled They missed payments claiming lack of paperwork I finally started Fedexing them because then I could prove they Had received it.

They paid me although hassling me the entire time until Hurricane Katrina. Then suddenly they claimed They no longer had to pay me because I got social security and they wanted to be paid back. I went from $40,000/year while working to $24,000 a year and now because of them I am trying to make it on $13,000/yr. I had to spend my 401K, I have no money for hot water, I run out of food by the 3rd week of the month. They have ruined My life, AND I Urge you DO NOT BECOME THEIR CLIENT OR THEY WILL CHEAT YOU AS WELL!!!
Comments United States Health & Life Insurance
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

23rd of Feb, 2007 by   Emily Zeid 0 Votes
The same thing happened to us. My dad went on disability for Parkinsinism. The cancelled our disability because we were getting pinching and social security. They wanted the money back and took the money we were going to get for selling our house. We got nothing from our house. Because of them we have been screwed and in bad problems ever since. For 5 years we have struggled terribly.

I know exactly how you feel.

Wo should protest! Or castrate them...
 13th of Sep, 2007 by   183F7 0 Votes
THIS IS THE POORIST EXCUSE FOR AN INSURANCE COMPANY I HAVE EVER SEEN. IF ARE REQUESTED TO TAKE THEIR LIFE INSURANCE POLICY AT A PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT, THINK TWICE. REQUEST THE WHOLE POLICY, IT HAS SO MANY LOOP HOLES AN ELEPHANT COULD FALL THROUGH IT.

YOU PAY FOR A LIFE INSURANCE POLICY AND ACCIDENTAL DEATH AND YOU WILL GET NOTHING IF YOU EVER GO ON DISABILITY.

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER BUY ANYTHING THAT SAYS METLIFE ON IT.

MY SON WAS KILLED IN A CAR ACCIDENT THIS YEAR AND ITS A GOOD THING HE DID NOT LEAVE A FAMILY BEHIND THAT DEPENDED ON THE LIFE INSURANCE POLICY.

IT WAS NOT THERE.
 20th of Nov, 2007 by   D Seri 0 Votes
Met took over the administration of my Connecticut General DI policy. They found a way to decline my payments after two years of payment, had the nerve to ask for repayment, and led me to hire an attorney to fight the case. As of 2/2/07, I have lost $2400+ a month and now they asked if I am interested in a settlement! Nothing like getting screwed when your down!
 11th of Dec, 2007 by   Jacob Callahan +2 Votes
MetLife denied my claim this past summer and caused me to go 12 weeks without pay while on medical leave from my job at CitiBank. When they finally exhausted all possible excuses to pay, they settled with a lump sum payment that was taxed at such a high rate that my compensation was reduced by over a third. During that time I had to borrow from friends, spend all my savings, and run up my credit cards just to keep my mortgage and utilities paid. I am still trying to recover from the loss of income. In November I fell from a ladder and sprained my shoulder and neck. The doctor put me on leave for 12 days to recover. Naturally, MetLife denied my claim and refused to even explain the denial except to say they had "received an invoice from my doctor's office". It took two weeks to work out that they were refusing to pay the $10.33 fee for the transfer of my medical records. My doctor's office said this was the first time they had ever heard of MetLife NOT paying this fee. So, in order to deny my claim, they changed their policy requiring me to drive all the way across town to drop of a check at my HMO's billing office. After a month, I have yet to be paid for my covered medical leave. Is there no one who can listen to complaints about such awful service? My own HR department simply tells me I must "manage my own case" whenever on medical leave. Who "manages the case" for people who live alone and are too sick to constantly call MetLife for denial of their claim? If someone wants to start a class action law suit, I'll be happy to participate.
 24th of Dec, 2007 by   Mike Ortiz +1 Votes
Not only Met life will do this, so will Aetna Disability, I did everything that was asked after my amputations, and they paid for 6 months and out of the sky blue they wanted my military retirement, because it was a an entitlement. They deducted it from their money and then they retro active the who thing until the date I stared recieving disabibilty, Now I owe them money and I being forced to pay the taxes on this entitlement, until I am 65, I am only 61. So now, if I get requalified ,they might consider about giving me my entitlement back. but, it sounds like I will never get it back.
Please pay attention to your policies, I had considered on not taking disability but this company insisted on me to apply, Now I know why.
 17th of Jan, 2008 by   mettao 0 Votes
I have dreams now of "Snoopy," standing in front of the MetLife building grabbing his stomach and laughing his fool head off while standing over the bodies of a disabled people that jumped from the top of their trillion dollar empire to their death because MetLife had utterly destroyed them in every way possible.

It's ruined Snoopy forever, he might as well be the Devil himself.
I wish I would have known that the "if''s" in their commericials meant "if," we decide to pay you or "if," we want to or "if," we can
get away with it! Shame on you MetLife and all of those who support your many dirty deeds, there is a very special place for you.
Anyone would be foolish to spend their hard earned money on anything from MetLife...sock it away and get interest cause MetLife will never be there when you need them and if they are it is to cause you more grief and pain.

Make sure your Company knows of these websites, tell benefits admin people, write to CEO's , write politicians and let them know how these bad companies are hiding behind the Erisa Act of 1974 which allows them to use an IME/IPC over your own treating doctors!

What they do should be a Federal Crime but it's supported by the Secretary of Labor and we need to complain as often as we can in writing to anyone who will listen, please take the time to do something when you can.

Also, be aware if they ask for an appeal from you, and it ends up going to court, Pleasee make sure you include EVERYTHING you have because they will stop at nothing to make sure they only give what they want to a hearing judge, if you didn't include it.

Also, make sure and request all documentation they have regarding your claim before you send in your appeal, the reps lie and put whatever they feel like in their "Dairy/Administrative file," so you need to address those issues in your appeal.

Large corporation's need to hear what's going on and how their employee's are being treated, follow up with them in writing and tell them.
 5th of Feb, 2008 by   Deb Arvesen +1 Votes
MetLife is everything all of you have said and worse. I paid for long and short term disability insurance through my employer. MetLife got their payroll deducted bi-monthly payments for 18 years.

I have been on a medical leave for two years. MetLife continually uses every diry trick in the book to avoid and delay my monthly payments. MetLife has withheld my checks numerous times (once for over 7 months), for the same bogus reasons others of you have stated (non receipt of FAXED paperwork, case workers out of the office without backup personnel, case worker turn over, lump sum reimbursement they want from Social Security has not been received by me and not reported to them by a specified date (which was a lie documented by email), and on and on.

I complained to my HR department. They weren't much help. I filed complaints with the Texas BBB, my state and national political representatives, and the state insurance board of Texas. The insurance companies are in bed with all these entities (with the exception of the BBB)...The only responses I got were form letters. These politician WILL NOT get my vote when they run for re-election!

The majority of MetLife employees I have been in contact with are rude, billigerent, heartless and could care less about those of us who are trying to get by on a percentage of our normal income as gas, heating fuel, housing and food prices increase.

Because of the mental anguish and stress MetLife puts me through on a monthly basis, my doctors as well as the doctors from Social Security say not only am I not physically able to return to work, I'm not mentally able to handle the stress either.

I would like to go on with more specifics but I have a 14 page document to be filled out and returned to MetLife explaining how my quality of life has been affected by my disability. If I don't get it to them within the next several days, they are threatening to cut my payments off for the 3rd time in 3 months.

Thank our politicians and lobbyists in Washington for giving insurance companies this power. We pay all their salaries however, it's not US they represent... I would be glad to join a class action suit against MetLife as well... you know their executives don't wait months for their millions of dollars in bonus checks each year..
 26th of Mar, 2008 by   Bonnie 0 Votes
INCLUDE ME IN THAT CLASS ACTION SUIT and give me any address or person I can complain to so we can stop the harrassment by Metlife. We are disabled, ill and unable to work so how can we be expected to keep up with everything they want? Doctor reports every 2 weeks, paper work every 1-3 weeks, threats to cut our benefits constantly, YOU SAID IT STRESS!!! I had to have my friends and family help me write letters and do paper work and everything for me, I had to hire a lawyer because I can't do this Im too sick.BEWARE OF METLIFE They will suck the life out of you and LEAVE YOU HOMELESS, STARVING, FREZZING AND WITHOUT HEALTH CARE SO NOW YOUR SICK AND YOU CAN"T GO TO THE DOCTORS ANYMORE, I lost over $40, 000.00+
 3rd of Apr, 2008 by   Dennis +1 Votes
I worked for the same Company for 27 years. I paid for a LTD policy through metlife out of my own pocket after tax for 27 years! Its ironic, that after paying almost $40.00 per month and 27 years later, metlife is now telling me Im not alowed to bring in any other income without sending right to them! Thats right, if I hit the lottery for $200.00 they want it! MetLife is a business, out to make money! They do not take anything under concideration tha concerns your well being. A metlife rep. told me that even thoug Im only getting 50% of my income from them, that all Im allowed to make. Anything else belongs to them! This should be a crime!
 4th of May, 2008 by   Debbie, Bryan 0 Votes
I would gladly join a class action lawsuit. All of these comments are like reading my past. When my leave changed to long term at 6 months, the MetLife rep casually told me, "Don't be surprised when we deny your claim." What? I couldn't believe my ears. I got the same excuses for 1 FULL YEAR before they finally paid the benefits. They tried to stop benefits several times over the next years while I fought them constantly. I was in the hospital for a month having my entire colon removed when my daughter brought me a letter saying that their doctor said I was just fine to return to work now. I notified them and it still took them 6 weeks to pay me again. Now, I have been in court with them for 3 years. They drag it out as long as they can and we got a bad judge the first time. We are on appeal. MetLife's doctor said that he didn't believe that I had the disabling disease that I was diagnosed with by 50 examining physicians and professors at grand rounds. That's right. Fifty doctors examined me, discussed it, and said I had a disabling disease with no effective treatment and no cure. MetLife hired a doctor who said that he didn't think so, even though he had never examined me. Sorry to say, but the judge bought it. Unbelievable. The Supreme Court is hearing a case right now to decide whether insurance companies can truly be independent in deciding if someone is disabled when they will have to pay the claims. It will be an important decision and my case has been delayed while it is decided.
I used to like Snoopy. There are no 'Ifs' with MetLife. Eventually, they cut everyone off and say "Take us to court, " like they did to me. I am not trying to upset anyone, just please be as prepared as possible. I had to sell my home and declare bankruptcy. Now, I am quite poor and live on my disability pay with help from my children. Good luck and God bless.
 13th of May, 2008 by   Shannon 0 Votes
I can not begin to express my anger, dismay and sheer shock of Metlife. I have NEVER seen so many incompetent, ignorant, lazy, thieving people in one company in my life!! I can not begin to go into what they have done to me. I am trying to find out who governs them or who i can (other than them) file an official complaint. I would LOVE to sue the pants of them but no lawyer wants to touch you unless it has to do with your social security benefits...i am 34 years old! I have no social security. In any case if anyone has any suggestions or information please let me know. Someone has to stop this company from what they are doing to people!
I work for a MAJOR communications company and several, several o my co-workers are having the same problem with Metlife. Some have even lost there job, I almost did twice. I am sure there are thousands upon thousands of people who would love to see Metlife pay for the pain and anguish they have caused.
 24th of May, 2008 by   Theresa Naticchia +1 Votes
I totally agree with all the above, their right hand has no idea what their left hand is doing! They sell loans under the guise of insurance. This should be against the law. You pay your hard earned money to protect yourself or so you think. After almost 7 years of receiving my LTD payments, I finally was awarded retro SSDI for 5 years. My ex spouse rec'd 45, 000.00+ and even though I paid all my child support, SSD said she does not have to repay. Metlife does not care they want the money. She refuses to repay anything to me. I have 7 notices from them for repayment in less than a year. Not one amount is the same! From 81, 000.00 to 69, 000.00, The last being dated 5/3 & 5/13 of 2008 & they are different too! I was on a first name basis w/ both the case manger & the overpayment manager. Now both are gone and have to deal w/ new people. For one thing they cannot give me any info on my policy, but they can tell me there is no COLA provision or childcare either. He never rec'd either. Luckily in like 2003 I requested a copy of the policy, I still have it w/ their fax# and date. I even sent it to the case mgr. to prove the provisions. The answer was always I have to speak w/ my boss. Then no communication until a month or two later, when I would get another payment notice. It was and still is vicious circle. Now I will only communicate by fax, so I have proof of trying to resolve this matter. I have a plan, but can't give it away, until I win, then I will share! I think they are defrauding all their clients. If this is not bad faith insurance...What is? Do not give up and do not give in. Get everything in black & white, the rest is just here say. You can also win against your attorney who wants to overcharge you. He appealed to SSD for money & I had signed the contract 25%...Read the fine print, that means 25% of the ex spouse's 45, 000.00. I followed the procedure stating my problems with the fess, stated some codes and case summaries. (the laws are on the net you just have to find them.) In short I won & he did not get the extra 15, 000.00. It is sad to say, especially if you think someone (paying or not) is looking out for your best interest...Get everything in writing. Our country is concerned with others rights and well being when our own taxpaying citizens are left to the bureaucracy and mercy of unscrupulous companies. I wonder if they have like "watchdog" groups? Have to check that out! One last word(s) Write you politicians!!! Senator Bill Nelson was a tremendous go between, I only wished I had written earlier. I have 7 letters from him in less than a year, he succeeded what it took 7, yes 7 years to do...Bull!!!
He also commended me on my persistence in the matter. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. Sorry to ramble but this is 7 years in short, now another battle has just begun and another opponent to defeat...MetLife should have to answer to someone.
 5th of Jun, 2008 by   Dennis +1 Votes
MetLife LTD is one of the biggest rackets going today. Most people who have paid into there LTD policies for many years, dont realize the true negative value of there policy. First off, once you become totally disabled, MetLife sends you a form to sign, stating that you if you dont sign it, you will not recieve any LTD payments from them! This form simply says that you will pay MetLife back if you recieve Workmans Comp. or SSI! Now why didnt they ask me to sign this form when I first started paying into this policy 27 years ago? There are LTD policies out there today, that does not require you to pay them back. Know onw wants to become perminantly disabled early in life. But companies like MetLife should be held responsible for there actions.
 18th of Jun, 2008 by   Terry 0 Votes
I have Metlife long term disabiltiy.
they want Doctors office notes every single time you go no matter what. Even if it's a three second appointment were the doctor says there's nothing more I can do for you. The problem is MetLife doesn't pay for anything they request. My feeling is if your going to threaten to terminate my policy then you can pay for the notes. They try to drop you every chance you get even if they have to play dirty. I've had to appeal thhem twice already.

I also won Soc Security after a long battle, and I had to give them A huge chunk back. Metlife doesn't care that people depend on the tiny amount they get each month.
 24th of Jul, 2008 by   Edward Ford 0 Votes
They are crooks and therefore all actions against them should be criminal not civil. They lie, cheat and manipulate information for the express purpose of disqualifying/denying legitimate claims.

Anybody who works for these theives is morally bankrupt and should be asham.ed of themselves ... stealing from disabled people who beleived that they would be treated fair by this insurance company. Where are the morals of the Companies who chose MetLife for their disability insurance carrier. They know they are getting a better deal using MetLife and screwing their innocent employees.

They stop payments whenever they want using convoluted technicalities ... with no notice ... unless 'bouncing checks' counts as notice.
 4th of Aug, 2008 by   Joan Davis 0 Votes
I too paid LTD for over twenty years I promoted these policys to new employees and truely believed I would be covered in the
event I became ill. Wrong I have gone from an income of
40k+ and know recieved a little over 13k a year I have had
my credit ruined lost my home and cant even afford the health insurance my company offers so I just pay for my medication
or dont take it. I rent and even though I probably qualify for
assistance I just cant do it Iam just to proud I grew my children
up with no assistance and little to no child suppport my children both graduated and my one daughter is a RN and my other runs a daycare. If I could do it all over I would have saved the payments to Met Life for a rainy day. I use to believe in the company also having their car insurance also my advise to any young people is to not believe in insurance policys whether
it be life ltd or even home owners they never pay or they
make you fight. When I recieved my Social Security after
about 5-6 months Met Life took it all back so what did they pay?
My advise is to save your own money for a rainy day I only
wish I had not trusted Met life
 8th of Aug, 2008 by   Joanne 0 Votes
I, too, lost my disability because of MetLife doctors. I survived an attempted murder where I was able to convict my attacker to SingSing Prison. Because of all the lies, I am still in PRISON with MetLife and they will not believe the "real truth". I am a CRIME VICTIM in New York State and can't find any attorney to handle this. These are criminal actions against handicapped victims and insurance companies are getting away with MURDER to the public!
 4th of Sep, 2008 by   Johnathan 0 Votes
Oh HELL NO! I don't play with these fools! People, we are the bread and butter that keeps their greasy little hands in the money. Let us not forget that. We should never settle for less. We will never settle for less. I get it done, I will get it done, and when they say no to me? My company is going to get it done to them for choosing MetLife!

Should we look into ADA violations here? throw that one around and see what it gets you folks. Hey MetLife! My ass is coming for you and I aint stopping for nobody! BTW don't let my slang fool you. I am a Harvard educated fool! Run now!

Johnathan Gunnacomandgetyou
 2nd of Nov, 2008 by   john 0 Votes
WATCH OUT VERIZON EMPLOYEES, METLIFE WON'T PAY YOUR SICK BENIFITS.
 2nd of Dec, 2008 by   Donna A 0 Votes
what about Aetna LTD? I have been on ltd for 10 months. They wanted me to apply for SSD. I did, and recieved it. Aetna has stopped my payments and now they want my notice of award letter so they can determine what they will pay or what I owe them? I'm really mixed up.

Avoid Phishing that Claims to Be from IRS