logo

Fake Passport Websites
Scam or Real?
3. (27 mins ago)
Zoosk
Cannot sign up for one month only - bad link
4. (31 mins ago)
Offerwire Zyxel NBG 416N Wireless Router
Lied about Invalid Rebate
5. (43 mins ago)
Sun Cellular PostPaid
Unknown GPRS being charged to account

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Heather of WA

Denials of Legit STD Claims

MetLife Disabilty Insurance
metlife.com
If you are a business, insurance broker, or employee and are considering MetLife Disability as a part of your insurance policy, I would strongly recommend that you research this company diligently and consider other options.

I have been with the same company for 3 years and my previous for 8 years and I have never taken any kind of leave. I work hard and take my job very seriously. I recently saw a doctor in regards to a medical issue and the doctor wrote me off of work for 4 weeks. I filed a short term disability claim with MetLife Disability and provided them with ALL of the medical information they had requested. Doctors notes, medical documentation and the doctor’s orders that I could not perform the necessary duties on a daily basis for the job in which I hold.

After the 4 weeks in which I was off, I returned to work and on my first day back to work, I found out through MetLife that they had denied my claim. What? How can they I asked myself. My board certified physician wrote me off of work unable to perform the duties of my position and they are able to challenge the advice of my doctor? Doesn't seem right does it?

I wrote an appeal letter, got even more documentation from my doctor and stated the appeals process. My claim has been in the appeals process for over 2 weeks already and I have been told that it can take up to 45 days. They are sending all of my paperwork and documentation to a doctor of their choice, well actually a doctor that is on the payroll for MetLife. That doctor will decide if they deem me unfit to work for those 4 weeks (SOLELY BASED OFF PAPERWORK). My doctor would never have written me off for 4 weeks without seeing me in person, examining me, prescribing medications to treat my symptoms and continuing to see me at least once a week! So how can a doctor who has never met me, did not have an appointment with me during the time of my illness, never saw any of my symptoms, and has never talked to me decide if I was unable to work for the time that I was off. ABSOLUTELY INSANE! I pay for this insurance to cover me in a time of a medical leave out of every paycheck.

After doing some research on my own I have found that MetLife Disability denies over 80% of the claims it receives. The appeals division’s job is to make you jump through as many hoops as possible so that you will give up on the process and accept the denial. Their bonuses and annual raises are based off how many successful denials of claims they are able to make each year. I will not be renewing my short term disability on my insurance selections this year and in the future will not work for a company that solely offers MetLife as a choice for STD. Do not sign on board with MetLife Disability as they are a corporate scam.

I will continue to post this complaint on every website that I can find, every day, to reach as many people and organizations wanting information on this company as possible until my claim is approved and I receive a paycheck which I am entitled to.
Comments United States Other
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Sep, 2010 by   Shell bell 0 Votes
Sorry for your hardship but thanks for sharing. Good info to know.
 20th of Sep, 2010 by   Margie B. 0 Votes
I am an insurance broker and I try to stay as far away from this option as possible as many people have these types of problems with this company. Thank you for sharing your story as it reaches many people.
 22nd of Sep, 2010 by   g3treal 0 Votes
I am going to the same denial garbage that you're going through right now with this scam of a company. Out of work, provided all requested documentation (at my cost to return to these doctors to get more and more paperwork) good luck with your claim. If they deny me again I'm filing with the Insurance. Commissioner. I can't believe a large, legitimate copy like mine does business with these clowns.
 28th of Feb, 2011 by   Andy1007602 0 Votes
Metlife has done the same BS to me after being on short-trm disability purposely and intentionally denies the last portion of your illness or whatever claim it is as a standard process and forces you to work at an illusive appeals process of up to 45 days or more in so as to discourage a last payment to you.. And makes it extremely hard to recover your due moneies... There is no regulation on insurance companies as it stands and they will corrupt any person, judge or goverment that attempts to force them into a more responsible payout.. There only jopb is to collect premiums and deny payouts as best as they can or get rid of you.. There is no standard or requirement or ethics that they have to follow Your till they kill you... Good Day!!!
 2nd of Jun, 2011 by   Rafael Miranda 0 Votes
SINCE EARLIE 2010 I HAVE BEEN REQUESTING THAT MET-LIFE AND ABBOTT VERIFY THE CHECKS, SUPPOSEDLY, SEND TO ME THAT NEVER ARRIVE, AND NEVER WHERE CHANGE.
THE URGENCY OF MY CURRENT ECONOMICAL- MEDICAL SITUATION PROVOKE BY THE DENIAL OF PAYMENTS, INCREMENTS, DENIED FORMULA THAT MET-LIFE USE TO CUT $500.00USD BY MET-LIFE FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS HAS AFFECT VERY MUCH MY MEDICAL CONDITION, HAVING TO DOUBLE THE DOSAGES OF MOST OF MY MEDICATIONS.
IF MET-LIFE IS CAPABLE OF SAYING THAT THEY DO NOT HAVE A DEBT WITH ME SINCE 2010, MET-LIFE SHALL PROVIDE THE RECORDS OF CHECKS, SUPPOSEDLY, SEND TO ME AND CHANGE, SINCE JANUARY 2010 UNTIL THE CURRENT DATE.
PLEASE CONSIDER THAT I HAVE 2 CHILD'S AND THAT MY MEDICAL EXPENSES ARE ¾+ OF MY INCOME. I CAN'T KEEP HUMILIATING TO MET-LIFE AND ABBOT FOR 2 YEARS OF PAYMENTS, SINCE I ALREADY HUMILIATE FOR IT FOR 2 YEARS APPROX.
I DEMAND THAT MET-LIFE SUBMIT TO ME VIA FED-EX EVIDENCE OF THE RECORDS OF CHECKS, SUPPOSEDLY, SEND TO ME AND CHANGE, SINCE JANUARY 2010 UNTIL THE CURRENT DATE, PLUS THE INCREMENT DENIAL, PLUS THEIR SECRET FORMULA USED TO DECREASE MY BENEFIT -$500.00USD

FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS I ASK ABBOTT TO STOP THIS ABUSE FROM THE PRODUCT THEY PROMOTE AND SELL FOR ITS PARTNER, MET-LIFE, AND INSTEAD OF TRUSTING OR REPEATING WHATEVER MET-LIFE SAYS, ABBOTT SHALL DEMAND EVIDENCE OF THE RECORDS OF CHECKS, SUPPOSEDLY, SEND TO ME AND CHANGE, SINCE JANUARY 2010 UNTIL THE CURRENT DATE.

MET-LIFE SHALL PAY ME IMMEDIATELY, BY FED-EX OR DIRECT DEPOSIT.
MET-LIFE MUST PAY MONTHLY RETROACTIVE DUE TO ALL THE LOST INCOME THAT I AND MY FAMILY HAVE EXPERIENCE FOR THIS 2 YEARS DUE TO THEIR GREED AND LEGALLY QUESTIONABLE PRACTICES AND/OR VIOLATIONS TO THE FEDERAL AND LOCAL INSURANCE AUTHORITIES, TO ECONOMICALLY LU-CRATE AND HAVE CONTROL OVER THE PUERTO RICO INSURANCE MARKET, AT $50 THE DISABLE ABBOTT PERSONNEL (AT $50 THE DISABLE ABBOTT PERSONNEL, AFTER YEARS OF PAYING THOUSANDS, EVEN MY 4 YEARS CHILD CAN HAVE A MET-LIFE FRANCHISE, AT ABBOTT KNOWLEDGE.) THERE IS NO COMPETITION FOR MET-LIFE IN P.R., ALL THEIR INSATIABLE GREED, AND THEIR UNIMPORTANCE OF THE MONTHLY LOSS, THAT THE ABBOTT DISABLE PERSONNEL SUFFER, AT ABBOTT KNOWLEDGE OF OUR DEFENSE INABILITY AND THE EXPLOITATION OF THE ABBOTT DISABLE, MAKES A PRUDENT INDIVIDUAL VOMIT.

FOR ALMOST 2 YEARS I ASK ABBOTT TO PLEASE STOP THIS ABUSE, THEY RECOMMEND MET-LIFE AS ONE OF THE TOP INSURERS. I NEVER MISS A PAYMENT TO THEM, AND THEY ARE NOT PAING ME AT YOUR KNOWLEDGE SINCE 2010, DID NOT RESPOND TO MY FAXES OF REDUCTION OF BENEFIT FROM SOCIAL SECURITY, TO ±$800.00USD, SINCE MET-LIFE KNOWS THAT THEY MUST PAY RETROACTIVE DUE TO ALL THE ECONOMICAL LOOSES PROVOKE TO ME AND MY FAMILY, IF THEY DO BUSINESS LEGALLY AND PROVIDE THE BENEFIT INCREMENT THAT APPLIES TO MY CASE .

MET-LIFE NEEDS TO PUBLISH THEIR SECRET FORMULA TO THE NEVER EXPLAIN RIDICULOUS AND INEXPLICABLE AMOUNT OF ONLY $50.00USD WITHOUT COST OF LIVING CONSIDERATION OR ADJUSTMENT TO ABBOTT DISABLE PERSONNEL.

MET-LIFE MUST SUBMIT THEIR SECRET FORMULA, PROTECTED BY ABBOTT TO DECREASE ABBOTT EXPENSES (BASED ON ALL MY EFFORTS WITH ABBOTT TO PROVIDE IT) USED TO DECREASE MY BENEFIT FROM ±$550.00USD, TO ONLY $50.00USD TO ME AND MY FAMILY. DON’T KNOW THE LUCRATIVE AMOUNT THAT ABBOTT MUST BE SAVING TO KEEP THIS FORMULA SECRET FOR MET-LIFE, TO ABBOTT DISABLE PERSONNEL.

MET-LIFE MUST SUBMIT THEIR SECRET FORMULA, PROTECTED BY ABBOTT, MOST LIKELY TO DECREASE ABBOTT INSURANCE EXPENSES TO MET-LIFE (BASED ON ALMOST 2 YEARS OF EFFORTS BY ME, SOLICITING THE FORMULA, TO ABBOTT AND MET-LIFE, USED TO DECREASE MY BENEFIT FROM ±$550.00USD, TO $50USD FOR ME AND MY FAMILY WITHOUT RESPONSE. ONLY A MESSAGE THAT I WAS PROHIBITED TO CONTACT THEM BY EMAIL.) NEITHER MET-LIFE OR ABBOTT NEVER EXPLAIN THIS EXCESSIVE, RIDICULOUS, INEXPLICABLE, AND MOST LIKELY ILLEGAL REDUCTION TO THE AMOUNT OF ONLY $50.00USD WITHOUT COST OF LIVING CONSIDERATION OR ADJUSTMENT, OR ADJUSTMENT BASED ON THE REDUCTION OF BENEFIT FROM SOCIAL SECURITY, TO ±$800.00USD, FROM ±$1, 000.00USD, FAX SUBMITTED ±5 MONTH AGO, TO MET-LIFE AND ABBOTT.
 25th of Jul, 2012 by   whatinsurance 0 Votes
Metlife Disability has done the same thing to me. When I tried to appeal, they told me there was no need to write an appeal letter and denied my appeal after having an "independent physician" review my medical documentation without seeing this physician. A week ago they told me that I would have an appointment with this physician, but decided to deny my appeal first. Metlife is a joke.
 1st of Oct, 2013 by   KLCAM 0 Votes
I have just filed an appeal to the Met disability review board. They denied the extension of my LTD based on a physician they contracted from MD.{I am in CT} whose license has been suspended due to misconduct w a 'former' patient. This jerk never examined me and Met based the denial on his opinion ignoring ALL of my treating physicians, inpatient and out. Unbelievable.
 1st of Oct, 2013 by   dogoodersurs 0 Votes
Metlife Disabilty is a scam. Companies that use it are questionable.
 17th of Sep, 2014 by   Phillygall 0 Votes
I too was on STD . Metlife has done nothing but caused stress and I thought at one point I was going to have a nervous breakdown. I have documentation and follow up appts. They ask for the same paperwork over and over my doctors were getting irritated too. I have since place 4 calls for updates on why I haven't received a check. No calls, no letter in the mail. Nothing. I lost my car insurance, no TV for 2 months now, no house phone, shut off notice for electric, water and I got approved for food stamps. I can no longer go to appts because my co-pays are 50.00 each time. I have no money to go. Metlife has made me suffer more then the actual illness.

How a New Health Reform Will Affect You