logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
YES! Communities
Dont ever mess with these people they are ripoffs
2. (3 mins ago)
Gehan Homes
Defectively constructed my home
3. (7 mins ago)
JDM Tiger Japanese Auto Parts Ltd.
missing parts to engine
4. (10 mins ago)
Calvert Quilt Shop
Horrible Customer Sevice
5. (16 mins ago)
Pay Power Visa
Took money and never applied to prepaid debit card

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Valerie

No customer service

Metabolic Research Center
emetabolic.com
I went in for an initial consultation at Metabolic Research Center in Bentonville, Arkansas. I should have known not to sign up, because the ladies in there were like 'high pressure used cars sales people'. I did sign up because I truly wanted to lose weight. They signed me up for like $239 which fit easily into my budget. After coming back 5 days later after signing up, they told me I needed $400 in supplements that were required. They also made me purchase vitamins, shakes, and other stuff. I could not repurchase each week because it is not in my budget. When my weight loss slowed, Metabolic Research Employees always blamed it on me not buying things. They never gave me the 'counseling' they claimed during the initial sales pitch. I have heard this story from more than 1 person--actually a lot of people at Wal-Mart Corporate have been burned by Metabolic.
Comments United States Diet Products
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

12th of Jul, 2009 by   mbur -1 Votes
I also joined Metabolic Research Center in Bentonville, Arkansas. It cost me $298.00 to sign up, which was in my budget. What was not in my budget was all the supplements and protein drinks they pushed. I was not told that I did NOT have to take the supplements. In fact, immediately after I joined, I was handed a bag full of supplements "All day weight loss" and instructed on how to take them. I was also ordered to choose my flavor of protein drink and then given those choices. The total for that was $ 157.00. I took them in good faith. I did lose eight pounds in 3 weeks. However, after 3 weeks on the plan, I began to have right upper quadrant abdominal pain and distention. I have had ultrasounds, scans and blood tests. My liver enzymes are now elevated and I am sick. My doctor believes it was induced by the supplements. My doctor wrote a letter to MRC telling them I am to stop the plan immediately. The center actually called me to come in to talk with them so that I can continue the plan without supplements. I am too sick to drive in. They don't get it!
The counseling I received there was a joke. The young woman who acted as my counselor has never been on a diet. When I asked what her experiences on the diet were (we were told ALL the counselors had done the diet before and could relate to the clients) she responded, "I haven't dieted. I've always worked out and eaten right." Wow, what a kick in the teeth to hear that from your "counselor". When I did ask a question or wanted to discuss an issue, the only answer she had was to try another supplement. No counseling at ALL and no support. I just kept trying until I got too sick to eat or drink. Be very careful what you put in your body. You can not trust these people to be knowledgeable in their products.
 19th of Aug, 2009 by   hsk +1 Votes
I can not speak for Bentonville, but I can speak for another MRC location in TX, I am an employee. The supplements are NOT required, the protein drinks 100 for month supply, vitamin 14.50 for a month, and oil 21.00 for a month is. That is all that's required.I have done program personally and it was required for me to step through the menus as part of my job. There is no way to fully understand the program or be of the utmost help without personal experience. I hate to hear that you were not happy with the service that you received. There are 3 thermogenics which is what the "All Day Weight Loss" is and one is a choice that doesnt affect blood pressure and/or heart meds. It sounds like ADWL wasnt the best choice for you and I know that down here in the lone star state we know our product and know program like the back of our hands b/c we live it and believe in it. We work very hard to provide give encouragement, guidance and recipe ideas etc to our clients. I have even had my mom to do program and she has lost 30 inches and over 10 lbs in a little over 2 months. Yay! MRC is the most recommended and widely respected weightloss center among the medical community and the company a growing quickly b/c of it. we have many clts who have done awesome with only the bare necessities and tons of ppl who have reached their goal weight and kept it off. I am sorry you didnt get the service that you deserve. I hope you have not gotten so discouraged that you have given up on getting to a healthier weight. You can do it!Remember most eating is habit or emotional, logging your foods will help you make those connections and work towards letting your recreation not be based around foods. (i.e. have a water gun fight, go for a walk, visit a museum, go to an arcade) Good luck!
 3rd of Apr, 2010 by   trying to lose it all +1 Votes
I just started the diet Thursday in Jacksonville Beach and when I signed up my counselor told me that the supplements were optional. They all we very nice and professional. I guess because they are independantly owned, each center may offer a different experience. If you were told that the supplements were madatory I would report the center to the franchise. They should be regualted by franchise rules.
 10th of May, 2010 by   annie10 -1 Votes
Be VERY careful about joining this scam diet center. It's ALL about buying the products. The counselors are completely clueless about nutrition, health, calories, medications or any other thing having to do with your body. THEY ARE SELLING SUPPLEMENTS and that is it folks!!! In addition, they dispense some scary advice. They told me to get off my prescription thyroid medication - I questioned this and they were absolutely sure that the diet would 'fix' this...of course, my weight loss slowed and my MD said this was the reason and to get off the diet immediately and get my thyroid regulated again.

According to their "comtract" if a doctor advises you to stop the diet, you get your money back. HA HA HA - just try it. These people are crooks, liars, and scam artists. The supplements are not remotely necessary - but that's where the money is for them.

LOOK OUT PEOPLE - it's a classic scam!! It's not about your weight loss result - it's about separating you from your money.
 16th of May, 2010 by   mmia -1 Votes
you guys are right this company is a scam i can speak for the one in georgia it's all a scam
 23rd of May, 2010 by   AmyFriz -1 Votes
I'm so sorry to hear about all the bad experiences all of you had from this company because I feel your pain. I worked for this company for 3 years after losing 40 LBS with the Metabolic Research Center. (I started at 160 and my goal weight was 120). The first couple of years were the best because the paychecks were awesome. And I hate to even say it, but it's so true that the actual company itself does only care about how much money they can make from their clients. Sometimes you will get lucky and get a certain consultant that really does care for their clients, but the "Big Dogs" themselves could care less. Every one of our meetings, which were on a weekly basis was to give more ideas on how to "SELL SELL SELL!" None of us were licensed or trained to give any advice on how to lose weight except through the weekly meeting, which is when they told us what we needed to say to our clients to make them want to sign up for the program. We got commission for every program and supplement we sold, and that was our incentive to say or do anything to make sure you signed that contract before you walked out the door. Each center is in competition with the other to make a monthly quota that is higher than the other. Each consultant is given a bonus each month for whoever sold the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd highest of the "vitamins" and "programs." And of course these bonuses depended on how much your Center made for that month, the more the Center made, the more your bonus was. I'm not sure how many calories the plan is now, but when I worked there in 2003, the average calorie menu was 800 calories, even after going through stabilization it was REALLY hard to maintain your weight. I was given some really lame excuse about why I was let go back in 2003, but they had a real problem with the fact that I had gained back 10 LBS of my weight even though I was still trying to stick with the stabilization program, that I never even completed because once I was hired they just didn't seem to care that I didn't finish my stabilization, they just wanted me to get on the floor, tell my success story to every client and sell their products. Since 2003 I've gained over 100 LBS, which is more than I've ever weighed in my lifetime. A small part of me blames them not only from the depression I went through after I was let go from my job, but I really wish they would have cared more about me as a client then about how much money I was making for them. It hurts to know where I was with my weight and where I am now, but please take it from me, this company will scam you out of the last penny you own while they look you in the eye and tell you how much they care about you and your weight loss, while behind closed doors they will be discussing new ideas on how to make that quota for the month. Please be careful, I'd really hate for somebody else to be walking in my shoes 100 LBS heavier years after dealing with this company, because take it me, walking in these shoes gets more painful as each day passes. Congratulations to all of you who are on their journey to making a better life for themselves by choosing to make healthier choices, just please be ware of the people and corporations that are only out for themselves. Good luck and God Bless!!! :) One more thing I would like to add is the centers I am referring to are all in the Panhandle of Florida: Shalimar, Panama City, and Destin Florida, Ocala Florida, and Columbus Georgia. Of course there could be more added to this small chain of centers by now.
 25th of May, 2010 by   pattyredd1234 +1 Votes
I am really sorry that some of you have had a bad experience with MRC!!! I also have and still work for MRC, and can tell you that I love my clients!!! Seeing them succeed on this program is so rewarding!!! I have lost 100 pounds doing this program and have kept it off for six years!!! I don't think that If I gained any weight back that I would blame MRC or anyone else but myself!!! Not all consultants want to SELL SELL SELL!!! I also don't think that it is fair for anyone to imply that!!! Yes I took herbs and vitamins do I tell my clients they have to take all these things NO I do not!!! Again I have been in those shoes of not being able to tie my shoes, cross my legs, go to the pool with my son unless it was at night, not wanting to go out of the house!!! METABOLIC CHANGED MY LIFE, both physically and personally!!! I love walking in my shoes going from 210 to 110 and keeping it off for 6 years FEELS GREAT!!!

Good luck on whatever journey you choose and know nothing will work if you think you can go back to OLD HABITS!!! It is a lifestyle change
 7th of Jul, 2010 by   mydstable +2 Votes
I go to the one in Shalimar FL, one of the centers referenced above. I have found it to be very professional and supportive. I can also attest to several of the supplements making a real difference. My skin is better and my nails are growing faster than they ever have, as is my hair. Everything is more regular and balanced. I only take the basics, not all the extras, but they have been great.

As for the staff, they are very supportive. If they are faking it, they're doing a really good job and the customer doesn't know the difference. It has the same result, which is to support and encourage success.

I have a friend I recommended to the program that lost over 100 lbs and has kept it off for some time now. She had to do the program remotely by phone, as there was no center nearby. She got a minimal amount of product by mail and tons of support over the phone.

I'm sure like any business you have good and bad representatives, but I've been very happy with the folks at the Shalimar office.
 14th of Jul, 2010 by   blahblahblah10 +1 Votes
I dont think you all should come on here and bash MRC just because you are too lazy and dont have the willpower to stick to the program. I go to MRC and i LOVE IT! They are supportive and they have helped me through it all! Ive lost 50 ibs and reached my goal weight of 120 in the amount of time i paid for. Most of the supplements are optional so whoever told you that you HAD to buy them was wrong and im pretty sure if you contact corporate they will take care of that. As for the SELL SELL SELL consultants, of coarse they want to SELL that is there job and that is how they make money BUT that isnt the only thing they care about as far as im concerned.
 29th of Jul, 2010 by   prgrrl -1 Votes
I used to work for MRC in bentonville after I lost 40lbs. I am with the woman from FL who said that once you were hired they didn't care what you did as long as you made them money (until you started to gain weight that is..). And yes, every weekely meeting was sell sell sell! If anyone fell short of their quota their hours were cut back until the center as a whole made up for it, so for the employee its a double whammy. For myself, I understood what the clients were going through when I heard " this diet is breaking my budget, I just can't afford all these supplements". And the classes!!! what a joke!! the classes are just another to sell items. If you have been to them you KNOW that there is always a supplement or drink or something tied in so that the people in the class will buy the item on their way out (which is strictly by the register). MRC can do good things if you stick with it, but the supplements are not required to lose (although they do have positive health effects). If you have a problem with a center being too pushy call corporate and complain, because they will do something about it. I have seen it. But overall I would give MRC a D-, if you have any other options take them first.
 17th of Aug, 2010 by   mmm500 -1 Votes
I also am a previous employee and know for a fact this company is all about the money and not about the clients. Anyone that still works for this company is brainwashed and "used car salesman" is exactly how to describe the attitudes of all these people. Managers are typcially uneducated people that have no degree, no nutrition experience and are there because they have no other options and can SELL! My purpose with working for this company was to help the clients and with my previous work experience, I clearly knew more that most of the employees/managers etc. They were all about the money, and would get mad when I would actually sit down and spend quality time with a client. We would get pulled off the floor constantly for not selling programs, and jobs are constantly threatened if you don't sell $13, 000 a month. And yes, agreed with the other comments- the weekly meetings were about how to sell more and more and never about client retention, or truely helping these people. And for any of you still doing the program or considering it, just try and ask one of the consultants a question. Like, "Why exactly is 1 cup of coffee a day going to prevent me from losing? Why is taking YOUR mulitvitamin better than mine prescribed by my doctor? Why can't I buy my protein drinks online?"
You will be amazed at the lame excuses that will be presented to you. And witnessing clients success rates for over two years I can tell you that about 90% of clients GAIN THEIR WEIGHT BACK or do not complete the program because it is so restrictive. From a Nutritonist point of view, it is better to eat more frequently, have more healthy carbs and learn what kinds of foods to eat-RATHER THAN RELY ON SUPPLEMENTS!! good luck to everyone. Make sure you do your research and find a professional, don't let the MRC hype fool you!
 26th of Oct, 2010 by   JBCOS +1 Votes
I've been going to the MRC in Colorado Springs. The people who work there are wonderful! They are totally knowledgeable and caring. In fact I did ask about the coffee and was given a complete science lesson on why it's going to slow your weight loss. My wonderful consultant told me I need 3 things - the MRC6, Corti Trim and protein drinks. I told her I'm not buying anything else from them, including their vitamins, and she was more than fine with it. I truly believe the MRC6 and Corti Trim have helped me lose 30 inches - 4 inches alone in my waist. The protein drinks are delicious and have really helped me with my sugar cravings. Ask yourself this- how much do you spend on junk food & eating out every month? I think if you're honest you'll find this plan costs you about the same. I agree the diet is restrictive, but if ya want to lose weight then ya gotta eat less and move more. Again, I have been SO pleased with MRC in Colorado Springs!
 30th of Dec, 2010 by   smiletodayisgood +1 Votes
I loved working there and lost a lot of weight. I did not feel like a used car salesman at all working there was a great way to make a difference. I made a connection with my clients and liked going to work. I was disappointed that more people did not keep their weight off. I think it is because the stabilization process is slow and the maintenance program is very restrictive. I worked hard to keep in contact with my clients and try to encourage them when the going got tough. I was sad about the way they fired me. I was a good and loyal employee who was let go along with my supervisor because they wanted to turn over our center. ~Beverly
 19th of Jan, 2011 by   LSR88 -1 Votes
I was a client who visited almost all of the Denver, Colorado locations. At first, I felt like the "health consultants" were truly sincere about helping me and listening to my issues with food & metabolism . I was told that I should start with the HCG program to help repair my hypothalumus, reset my metabolism and help me lose a pound a day or more. I had over 60lbs to lose at the time and their website gives details about their "medical advisory board" (which now I realize only seems to be paid a salary by MRC to say they are on "the board")so I felt comfortable. Well, needless to say I only lost 14lbs on THEIR HCG program... because I was starving on only 500 calories and was losing muscle mass...my body fat got higher and immediately gained weight after!!! I bought all the vitamins, minerals, herbs, etc..."you won't be hungry on HCG, your cravings will go away, you will lose 1-2 lbs per day safely and effectively...oh, don't workout while on HCG (what? anyone ever tell you not to workout while losing weight??- I DONT THINK SO)...also, "besides all of these other pills you should take Phentatrim so you won't torture yourself while on HCG..." Wait...I thought HCG was supposed to do that, now I have to buy MORE?? In short, I DID NOT LOSE WEIGHT EFFECTIVELY WITH MRC!!! Nor, has alot of others that I have talked with. This company is out to ONLY make money on desperate individuals trying to lose weight and push you with their bullshit into spending more and more money with them when overall the whole program is not effective and their consultants (which change all the time- are brainwashed to SELL, SELL, SELL!!!) Some of these girls were in their early 20s and could not answer most of my questions and could not explain why I wasn't losing weight!!! I realized that I had paid for a placebo HCG program, a piece of paper that told me what to eat, and a place to weigh in 2xweek...which btw their scale "Tanita" is a joke and didnt measure my true weight or body fat!! I don't know how the other centers are, but the ones in Colorado are inexperienced, pushy, and flat out LIED to me. I have since gone the right route per the advice of my natural doctor, medical doctor, and a certified nutrition coach...I Went back to the gym, eat 3 healthy meals per day, watch my calories, sugar/carb/fat intake, and spent my hard earned money on a trainer and more effective supplements (that cost less than MRC). It's been since Thanksgiving 2010 and I have lost over 30lbs safely, feel amazing and I am keeping it off!!
I suggest you do the same.
 2nd of Mar, 2011 by   rickwonttakeit -1 Votes
Do not pay. I have shelled out over $800. Every time I went into my "meeting" really it was a sales pitch, they pushed a new suppliment. I was doing great on the program until they pushed so much stuff. I was taking over 30 "vitamins" a day. I had diarrehea and they still sold me an "internal cleanser" that causes more diarrehea. My cortisol levels were in the mid-high range accourding to thier own test and they still sold me "cortitrim" to support my cortisone levels. They are a bunch of crooks and sales people. As soon as I said I was done that I would prefer not to participate in thier extra diet plans such as HCG $169 and Medaquick $169 and Metafast $? that I reallys just wanted to start at the beginning and just get back to what was working and to stop taking all the "vitamins" they stopped caring, they stopped calling, and I even had an appointment with one gal in the Beaverton Oregon office that went to lunch when I was suppose to have my meeting with her and she was in the back room and would not come out to meet me at our SCHEDULED TIME.
If they can't sell you something they don't care
 25th of Mar, 2011 by   Becky Taylor +1 Votes
My mother and I joined Mrc in Auburn, Alabama..My mother is 65 and was almost disabled due to diabetes and Obesity.. I am a classic yo-yo dieter. At the center we joined, the counselors do counsel and do recommend vit-min-we are never forced to buy anything!! Thanks to Mrc, my mother is now mobile, lost weight, cut her insulin requirements and has a much better quality of life. IT WORKS IF YOU WORK IT!
 2nd of May, 2011 by   dana1016 -1 Votes
I too signed up for the program but they were extremely vague when showing me the program and after 3 days I went to the training to then be told I had to take all of these supplements and basically the eating plan was not something I was going to be able to do. I decided to just forget the program and eat the all the money I had given them because i knew I wouldn't get the money back. Shortly after my husbands lung cancer went to his brain and bills were piling up to no end. I mailed a letter to the Murfreesboro TN center explaining my situation and asking them if they could please refund my fee because of this circumstance. I never heard a word from anyone. No response whatso ever. When I called about 3 weeks later I was told by the manger, Brittany, that she forwarded the letter to her supervisor and she had no control over it. She was rude and lacked compassion to the extent where I got rude back with her. When I tried to get the phone number of her supervisor, she hung up on me!!! This company is not only a scam, but they are vague in their approach, yet pushy and they have literally no compassion. The program is no restricted, which they neglect to tell you when you sign up, that if you have any kind of life socially, it will be impossible to stay on the diet. Seriously, if you have a bite of sugar you won't lose weight? I would NOT recommend going to this place to lose weight.
 27th of May, 2011 by   happylefty -1 Votes
I am glad to be able to read all these comments. I will not be using this company. Thanks all for saving my pocket book!
 12th of Jun, 2011 by   Zobalee +1 Votes
I am sure there are people who, for one reason or many, do not have success with this program. It's not for everyone. Nutri-System works for some, not for others, Weight Watchers, the same, and so on. Any program requires you participate fully to get the results you want. I have tried several programs, and didn't like any of them. Then I signed up for the MRC program, and have lost 18 lbs in 13 days. I am taking only the supplements I choose to take, along with my own vitamins, etc. There has been no pressure to buy anything. There are recommendations, but if I know I don't need it, or I can get it for less somewhere else, I don't buy it from MRC. I go in twice a week to have my BP checked, and it has come down from 155/94 to 133/83. I have them take it twice, just to be sure it's an accurate reading. I have checked books out of their "library", gone to classes (where no products were suggested), and spent 2 and 1/2 hours in one evening with a counselor who knew I just needed to talk. (When I left I realized it was an hour past their closing time, but she never made me feel rushed.) I know that they are giving me the tools, but I have to USE them. It's working. I know I need to "check in" with someone to be successful. I don't want to have to explain a weight gain. Might seem silly to those who are self motivators, but it helps me stay on track. And every lb. lost is celebrated! Makes me want to keep losing. I am learning better ways to deal with emotions than by eating my way through them. A counselor recommended a book, so I downloaded it to my Kindle and have been further motivated and encouraged by reading it. Thank you, MRC!!
 13th of Jun, 2011 by   Melissa Hard -1 Votes
STOP...Don't get reeled in by th hook, line & sinker. They do not care about you after the consultation and will take every last penny you have and laugh all the way to bank! I did the HCG sublinguals and after a few days, I had to be rushed to the emergency room and they told me to get off of the diet immediately. They tell you you can lose 1 pound per day, but the average person only looses 20 lbs for only $490.00. If you want to do HCG, go to your doctor and let them prescribe it to you. They tell you that you have to buy their drinks & can't use any others. Here is a secret...you can buy EAS at Walmart. Much cheaper. I took the MSM and the bottle says take 1 capsule, but they told me to take 3 capsules 3 times a day. Who are they to tell me what to take other than the directions on the bottle. They tell you that so you will run out faster and buy more! They are not weight loss specialist, they go to training for a few days and read a manual & practice the herbs & vitamins that cost like $10.00 and they charge you $99.00. Thats right cha..ching right into their pockets & the consultants paychecks for comission! Oh, and the programs are 100% profit for the company! Don't let them talk you into to re enrolling for another 17 weeks, you already have the menu and you can do it all by yourself! MRC are crooks, liars & scam artists. Don't fall for it & remember you were warned! Remember, you can do anything you put your mind to. Don't let anyone tell you different. Google the sacred heart diet that works!

Secret Shopper Scams!