logo

Corporation For Character
Misleadingly Vague "survey"
2. (7 mins ago)
3Psychics.com Scam FRAUD Spell Rip Off Spellcaster Crime Gang 1-877-398-0778
3Psychics.com took my money and stopped answering my calls!
3. (11 mins ago)
JDNETT PROFITS
FRAUD
4. (15 mins ago)
FAKE ID SITES NOT A SCAM
FAKEID REVIEWS ARE POSTING FAKE REVIEWS
5. (16 mins ago)
forevermetals.com
Bad quality rings and slow delivery

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Merrick Bank

Posted:    James

Rip off

Merrick Bank
In light of the economy and Banks getting bazillions of tax payer dollars to make things easie for people, last week I called Merrick Bank and requested the reduce my outrageouesly high 26% interest rate. They were totally unsympathetic and flatly said no. The following week (July 15, 2009)I received a notice from Merrick Bank advising they were raising my interest rate to nearly 33%. On July 16th I called and spoke to supervisor Mrs. Powell and asked her to explain why the banks that just received trillions of tax paypayer dollars to make things easier for people in these economic times just raised my already outrageously high 26% interest rate to nearly 33%. She said that is the bank's policy. They are raising rates and they don't care whether I agree or not. I advised I am no longer going to use the card or make any further payments on the account. They can sue me or reoport me to the credit agencies. I advised I am posting complaints againts the bank all over the internet as well as filing complaints with appropriate government agencies. They couldn't care less.
Comments United States Banks
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Aug, 2009 by   Joseph Blough 0 Votes
Raised my rates to 24% with no warning or reason. Then added a penalty to my bill because they said they didn't receive my payment in time, even with 11 days mail time. They are predators and they just lie. You will notice how many crooked institutions are falling. Merrick's time is just around the corner.
 23rd of Sep, 2009 by   Whysomuchfailure 0 Votes
I had a similar issue occur. I accidently went over the limit on my card, by approximatly 13 dollars, and my interest rate for my cash advance went up to 47%!!! Can you believe that!? 47%!!! So I quickly grabbed a low interest APR card, and transferred the entire balance. There is NO way whatsoever that I am going to deal with Merrick Bank in the future.

Card Users be warned!! Merrick is fraud!
 17th of Mar, 2011 by   KatM2 0 Votes
The very first month I had my card, I didn't receive a bill. I registered on line because I was worried I would have a late payment. When I registered, I discovered that my payment was due the next day! So...I paid my bill online. I was very careful putting my bank information in as I always am. Still, they cancelled my payment saying I entered the wrong account number. This is total BS! As I said, I was careful putting my information in because I didn't want the payment to be late. I checked and double-checked the numbers. They did waive my late fee but it is still going on my credit report. I will dispute this!! For this company to claim that they want to help establish or re-establish their customers' credit is ridiculous! The woman I spoke with was rude and not helpful at all. Please do not open an account with this "bank." This is a horrible company!!
 26th of Jun, 2011 by   linda tonti 0 Votes
i TOOK OUT THE CREDIT PROTECTION PROGRAM BY pays IT COST ME 11DOLARS A MONTH AND WHENi WAS LAID OFF . THEY DENIED MY CLAIM TO PAY MERICK BANK WHICH LEFT ME LATE BY ONE MONTH YET i WAS STILL PAYING THEM WHATEVER I COULD. SO I DECIDED TO CALL NJ DIVISION OF FRAUD AND WROTE TO THEM TELLING THEM IM PAYING FOR A PROTECTION SERVICE THAT WONT PROTECT ME. THEY MUST HAVE CONTACTED PAYS BECAUSE I WAS SENT A LETTER SAYING THAT THEY WERE GOING TO SEND PAYMENTS TO MERRICK BANK. hOWEVER I AM DELINQUENT ON MY CREDIT REPORT . I AM NOW EMPLOYED AND I AM GOING TO PAY THE WHOLE CARD OFF THEY STINK and no one knows what they are talking about at either pays or merrick bank. buyer and consumes i urge you to write to your state division of fraud . They have to be shut down
 6th of Jul, 2011 by   DustinR 0 Votes
Merrick Bank is horrible!!! I am a doctor and I've had my account for about 2 years, never late or over the limit. I got a letter this weekend that stated due to the number of credit inquiries over the 6 months they have decided to close my account. Not lower my limit, CLOSE the account. I called the credit department and was advised that they are not currently accepting new applications but keep checking and re-apply. I also lost all my rewards points, which I had 11, 000 points. What a scam!!! I have reported this to the BBB and the state attorney. It now shows on my credit report as Closed by Consumer, which looks like I was a horrible customer. BAD NEWS!!! Stay away from this bank!!!
 4th of Feb, 2012 by   tony.didonna@yahoo.com 0 Votes
Yes, Merrick Bank is horrible!!! I am in the Army active duty and I pay almost every bill paid in full every month. It just has to happen I paid Merrick Bank in full for the past year or so.
I just paid Merrick Bank my statement balance on Jan. 6, 2012 of over $700.00
I just received a letter today on Feb. 3, 2012 that was dated on the letter Jan. 31, 2012 with no warnings or phone calls from them as they just closed my wife's account. This is exactly what they said on the letter: After carefully reviewing your account history and current credit profile, we are advising that we are closing your account for the following reason:
*You have opened an excessive number of revolving credit accounts recently.
If you have any questions, please contact the Credit Department at 801-545-6702 between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm MT Monday through Friday.
I called the representative and she was the most rude representative I have ever spoke to in the 49 years I have been on this earth. I told her why would you close my wife's account without any warning or real good reason as I pay my bill in full every month with you.
I said, Is it because Merrick Bank made NO money off of me in the past 12 months?
The lady representative was just laughing at me saying we feel you are an excessive risk as you have other revolving credit accounts. I said, Can I speak to your manager or maybe someone that is higher than you are? She laughed, put me on hold for a minute or so and than she actually HUNG up on ME!!!
I will be reporting them to the BBB and the state attorney as well.
I am so upset right now as I will do that tomorrow as I have had a really busy week here in the Army trying to serve our country and this is the respect we get. WOW!!! Sad World!!!
 14th of Aug, 2012 by   SAY NO TO MERRICK BANK 0 Votes
Warning...Merrick Bank is a complete rip off...I recently went back to my maiden name and changed all my credit cards online with no problem whatsoever however, Merrick Bank does not have any place to do that on their site so I called them. I was shocked when they told we that there will be a $15.00 charge to do this. I have NEVER heard of anything like this in my life! They are crooks!! In addition to their outrageous interest rates these assholes want to charge me to change my name?? Thank God next month is my last payment to them!! I will NEVER use this card again...as a matter of fact I will enjoy watching it burn in my fireplace. My next visit is to the BBB... If enough of us ripped off comsumers complain maybe...just maybe we can shut them down!

Sincerely