logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
dermajuve
add says try it free only pay shipping
2. (8 mins ago)
US Pharmacy
constant telemarketing
3. (17 mins ago)
Radaris.eu
Failure to remove personal info
5. (40 mins ago)
Buy Bulk Meds
buybulkmeds.com Biggest Scammer from Pakistan

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Melaleuca Complaints & Reviews - Online scam!

Melaleuca Contacts & Informations

Melaleuca

Posted:    1student

Online scam!

Melaleuca
www.Melaleuca.com
I was browsing the web where I can about this program. I emailed them. Said why not and it's worth a try, and had only cost me $1.00 to sign up. Well I asked every question under the book. My one question, 'Do I have to purchase anything monthly?' They said no. I asked them again, but in a different form 'So I do not have to put out any money a month for this?' They replied just for the material that it cost you to advertise. But non towards their products. I sat in an hour length phone call. The only thing it went over and over again on was how much money you can make, and all the promotions going on.

Well the next month came along, and well let's just say I felt real low trying to purchase something for my newborn at the store. Because I knew I have money on my credit card, and it was denied. This one wonderful lady offered to pay for my items, but I said no thank you and called my credit card company up right away.

Melaleuca had charged $34.98 or some amount to my credit card. I put a dispute on it and called up Melaleuca the following business day. They told me it was in the contract. I said 'OHNO!' I asked that question before hand. They then told me that if I would had read the contract it states it in there. Well see the only thing though, is that you give all your credit card information over the phone to the lead person. You don't actually see the contract.

It's just a big scam. I never bought any of their products because I told them that, I was in the middle of moving, and had NO extra money. So I could afford the $1.00 set up fee but not $34.98 or whatever the amount was a month.
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

7th of Aug, 2008 by   Lee -1 Votes
Its part scam - the business part is a scam because not everyone can succeed at it. I joined Melaleuca over the phone with my bank account number so they could make automatic withdrawals, no signature no ID, just my bank account number. When I called them to say I wanted to quit, suddenly they needed a written letter with my signature because they wanted to verify it was me cancelling. Ha Ha Ha, I got a good laugh at that one. Be careful with Melaleuca. My mentor had to pay for advertising in Magazines to get leads. She also had to purchase leads. I never did any of that and I never made any sales. They tell you to sign up your family and friends, but I wanted to make sure it was a legitimate opportunity before I got any of my family or friends involved. Well it wasn't. I never made a dime on Melalueca but they made plenty off me. I finally wrote the letter and got out. The products are nice and environmentally friendly. But trying to get others to join takes a lot of effort and definitly some expense on your part. I reccomend the products but be wary of the business unless you have alot of time to devote to it.
 28th of Aug, 2008 by   oscar gaskin 0 Votes
the question is, howdo we get our money back?
 3rd of Nov, 2008 by   Nicolle +2 Votes
I am a customer and a business builder. I have made money and I like all my new products so far. With this company everything is word of mouth. Thats why you become a member, and your team becomes not only a business partner, but you also extend your circle of friends. I can call my business partners and talk about our kids or about our other jobs.

I never pressure people into joining I simply tell them what I truly is real no scam. If their interested they are and if not then I don't feel any different towards them.For example, my mom enrolled and she loves the products. My grandma is very skeptical and doesn't what to join but still orders products with my mom every month. Either was I'm glad that they love the products just as much as I do. Don't get me wrong of course i was skeptical at first as well but I researched the company and some of the facts I was given. I was never pushed to sign up, and I actually called my enroller early to move up my membership set up appointment.

I really don't have a lot of time on my hands to donate to this business. I am a full-time student, marketing major, and a new mom. I knew this job wasn't a get rich quick scam and I'm slowly but surely moving up. But thats the beauty of this job either you work a 9am-5pm your whole life or I can make up my own hours and If i want to work 9-5 and have quick success I can. I believe as much effort that I put in is what I'm going to get out but i get to do it right from my home with my daughter.
 23rd of Nov, 2008 by   Charlotte +1 Votes
If you did not want to use the products, why did you sign up? Just because it was $1.00. What did you expect to get for $1.00?

People do succeed in this business. I've worked it 4 - 6 hours on the average a week for over five years and it has been making my house payment and my car payment for over three years now. So far I have earned over $75, 000 with this company and I haven't bought one lead from anyone. Word of mouth is sufficient because the products are what they say: cheaper, better and safer than any other comparable product line.
 11th of Jan, 2009 by   lac 0 Votes
Do you call an average of $8.00-10.00 an hour succeeding??? Do the math...
 5th of Feb, 2009 by   Tina +2 Votes
I have read this and many other complaints about Melaleuca and I STRONGLY DISAGREE. I have been a very happy customer for over 2 years and I have been earning a check from them for about 1 year. First, no-one can bind you to a contract but yourself and you cannot be signed up over the phone or online without YOU authorizing through your OWN EMAIL., so that is false. There is a contract and if you ever had a question or doubt about the information given, you should READ IT yourself.
I have never had a negative experience as a customer. I have been able to return something I didn't like and get a full refund, though that has only happened twice since all of their products really are amazing and do what they say they do. Since I have been building my business, I have MANY happy customers that shop every single month and would never shop anywhere else. Of course, some have cancelled over the past year and have had no problems doing so. I know this for FACT.. There is absolutely NO RISK for anyone to try Melaleuca and experience the benefits of their store or business. This is not a get rich quick scheme. You get out of it what you put in, so if you're looking for $thousands or $millions with little effort, go else where.
It makes me SAD to see so many negative people in this world spueing lies and false information to the rest of the world about one of the few companies in this world that provide a superior product, have amazing customer service and stand behind a mission of HELPING OTHERS.
In closing, for me the glass is always half full. I have had nothing but great experiences with Melaleuca and would continue to shop here for my families needs forever, with or without an income opportunity. I love that I can share wellness with those I love and care about! Everyone should care enough about themselves and our environment to want to use safer products...
 6th of Feb, 2009 by   TavoNito -1 Votes
Well...I just had a rep talk to me about Melaleuca and well, using logic i told him I would get back with him after I did some research I did, however, asked if there was a fee or an amount that the company required me to spend to be a member he told me I only had $29 dollar Annual fee for the first year than it goes down to $12 dollars a year, but he made no mention of having to spend $55 dollars a month on the company's product and in that case I say "NO" I don't mind paying the annual fee just like you would at Sams Club, but I do not want to be committed to having to spend money even If I didn't need too...Well at least I know what I am going to tell the rep when he calls. Thank you for the Info.
 9th of Feb, 2009 by   malofx -1 Votes
Scroll to the bottom if you don't want to read my experience with this SCAM company.

For everyone that uses Melaleuca or used... You have to order a total of about $70.00 per month, well if you are like me, that leaves ordering at the last minute or forget to do it before the 1st of every month, the "computer" will send you a backup order of about $70.00, I have placed my orders late 3 times, and have returned the backup orders to them since I don't want to use the shit they want me to use, I figured I spent money on them shipping it to me and me shipping it to them, so 3 late orders paying for shipping comes out to about $60.00 just in shipping, I knew that, BUT!!! as every other "good" company does, they WILL credit back your FUCKIN credit card... when I returned my 2nd order I called and they explained to me that if I would to returned one more order, that I wouldn't get my money back only store credit, so I was like fine what ever. BUT!!! once again I was late on my order, I called to see if they could stop the backup order, so it was a NO!! I was like fine.

IMPORTANT!!!
I asked about the credit back to my credit card from my 2nd returned merchandise to them, the lady told me that if we DON'T ask for them to credit back our credit cards, the money will stay at MELEUCA so I asked, but if the money is in there, why didn't the computer took the money from the store credit I have, she said, the computer doesn't do that, and YES, it is a pain in the ass to have to make a fucking letter and mail and also fax to them, she asked me to explain why I was gonna stop being a member, lol.

So in other words!!!
CALL AND GET YOUR RETURNED MERCHANDISE MONEY BACK IN YOUR POCKET!!!
 20th of Feb, 2009 by   nomlm +1 Votes
I don't like MLMs scams anymore than anyone else. They're a pain to keep up, track and makes you pressure friends of friends when you probably shouldn't. You might want to believe there's no pressure selling but to be successful in sales, you have to overcome objections (at least three of them, right?); otherwise you're not giving it your best effort. But no matter the MLM program or any other endeavor that forces you to become entrepreneurial, I suggest you do not get into it if you cannot spell, read or write. If you're lazy at any of the three, it seems for those folks, any job, good bad or indifferent would be a challenge and doomed to fail. Ignorance is not bliss. I joined Melaleuca as a rep and I made about 500-600 per month the first three months. I liked the products but decided not persue the business side of it anymore because I felt to be successful I needed to pour more into it than I was willing. I still buy the products. I still let them automatically deduct from my bank account each month (so that I'm not late). And you can change the auto orders mid stream if you've ordered something you no longer need. My overall exprience has been positive. The people I enrolled stopped enrolling others as well. But we all still buy the products. They're pretty good products. Which means I still draw a check from Melaleuca each month; about 10 bucks. Yeah I know big deal. But $10 for doing nothing can come in handy. You ever hand a 10 year old a $20 bill? Comes in handy as an incentive to get chores done lol. And when is the last time any other retailer showed any appreciation on top of whatever savings they offer.
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   Anonymous 0 Votes
I totally agree that Melalueca is crooked. They have quality products but some months when my family is short on cash, it would be nice to have the option not to buy or even several times per year to just skip a month. If I run out of toilet bowl cleaner I use peroxide and if company is coming I follow it up with a splash of mint mouth wash from the health food store. These things I already have on hand. The point is I have the right to save money when ever I feel it necessary. With Melalueca you have no choice. If you don't buy every month they will order for you and charge it to your credit card. I did not know about this until I was signing up on the telephone and by then I was already imagining my new products. I figured it was O.K. since I buy these things anyway but I never get told when to buy them. A grocery delivery person doesn't show up at my house from the supermarket saying "We noticed you didn't come in for groceries this week so we selected food for you and charged it to your bank account." We just get creative and start to really take inventory as far as our pantry goes and try to make ends meet till the next paycheck. Also the main thing was that constint reminder of how much their profits increased each year. Of course no other direct marketing company can say that. They are the only company that makes everyone commit to spending a certain amount each month. The sales you can rack up just for what you want in your own home is not insentive to purchase but mandatory. If everyone who joined MARY KAY had to buy 50 dollars of products themselves, there would be no need for a party. At least with another company you would not have the obligation to invest monthly in your company. So I am writing a letter and sending it priority mail and I guess I will have to shop on Ebay to just buy the oil and it will be cheaper. I am sure that WholeFoods has something comparible but I love the mela gel. If it makes me obligated to buy a box of other stuff I guess I don't really need the oil. Anyway atleast WholeFoods will not have a contract and own me for 50 dollars per month.
 16th of Mar, 2009 by   DAC 0 Votes
I went to a Melaleuca presentation and felt pressured into signing up as a preferred cust0mer which cost $31.00 (for a kit that contained books of products), plus submitting an additional order for $52.00 (worth 35 points) + tax and shipping. I made it clear that I did not want to order anything at that time and did not want to commit to any monthly orders. Lo and behold at the end of the month I received an email message stating that my monthly order was mailed out and my debit card account was charged $62.00. I called Melaleuca and stated that I never wanted to receive random orders, but they said I agreed to this by being a preferred customer. What a bunch of crap! I asked, exactly what is being shipped to me? Their reply was laundry detergent, tooth paste, and about four other items. I said this is not even what I was interested in purchasing! They told me that I could refuse the shipment by UPS, which I did, and to make matters worse the box was so dinky and measured (about the 8 1/2 X 11 inches long). I was really aggravated because I could not imagine how small those containers were and that I was charged $62.00. For green products!

Then I received another email confirmation stating that my account was being credited for $46.00, so I called the company back and they said the $16 difference was for shipping and handling both ways. I said, I thought there was a flat charge of $3.90 no matter how big your order is and their reply was "that is for UPS". Melaleuca charges a separate charge of 5.4% for the entire order for shipping from their company, which is combined with the $3.90 shipping for UPS. Then when you return the products you are charged again, which explains the $16.00 difference! I told the customer service rep that I do not remember this being disclosed at the presentation. It could have been, however the sales rep continued to say you will only be charged a flat fee of $3.90 no matter what you order.

The customer service rep asked if I wanted to make a formal complaint and I said No! The sales consultants should be disclosing the true amount for shipping to the customers and someone at Melaleuca should contact the consultant if they are not communicating this information correctly.

The bottom line, I was not impressed with the: (1) sales pitch, (2) misrepresentation of the shipping fees, (3) an unexpected shipment for $62.00 (which was extremely small), (4) the $16.00 for shipping and returning the box of products, and (5) Melaleuca's customer service rep who failed to see my side of this complaint. In my opinion they should have refunded the entire amount of $62.00 instead of $46.00 for products that I never wanted in the first place.

I have closed my account so that I will not receive anymore unexpected orders and will have to send back the kit in order to get my initial fee back of $31.00 for the cost of the catalogs.
 11th of May, 2009 by   Sharpie +1 Votes
I am a brand new customer of Melaleuca, and my and my wife's experience so far has been one of amazing products, fantastic response to our invitations to hear about it from our family and friends, and extreme professionalism from the company itself.

A lot of people on here are complaining about a lot of different things. One is the commitment to purchase monthly minimums. I have not seen a presentation yet where they did not mention the 35 "product point" minimum. So if you signed up anyways, it is your own fault. However, I look at it this way. There is not going to be a month, EVER, where I don't buy deodorant, shampoo, toothpaste, mouthwash, laundry detergent, and dish detergent. There is 35 product points right there. These products work better, are safer for my family and the environment, and are CHEAPER than what I would buy at the grocery store or Wal-Mart. And, Melaleuca give us back a percentage of our product points in loyalty shopping dollars. When's the last time Costco or Sam's Club did that?

Another complaint was the size of the packaging. Is that a joke? The laundry detergent does come in a smaller bottle, yes. But my wife and I counted the loads from our first bottle, because of their claims of being a concentrated detergent that stretches farther. That small bottle of detergent actually did 14 MORE LOADS of laundry than the biggest bottle of concentrated Tide, the big jug with the nozzle on the side. And the bottle of Melaleuca detergent is a few dollars less.

The bottom line is that those who reported bad experiences here seem to have entered into it with a very closed mind, determined that they were going to have those experiences no matter what, and so created it for themselves. Those who go into it with an open mind, or (gasp) a positive outlook, have positive experiences with the products, the company, and the business opportunity.
 19th of May, 2009 by   Shay +1 Votes
I have to agree with the last person who commented. I have been with the company since March, as a customer and as a person working the business. I was very skeptical when I signed up, I even read the complaints on sites like these, but then I said to myself, "I don't take advice when it comes to other things, the worse that could happen would be that I would be out of $60 that first month." As a matter of fact, the products do not come in small containers, my deodorant is the same size as my other deodorant and my toothpaste is the same as my other toothpaste.

I am expecting a little boy in Sept and it has been nothing but wonderful using these products and not having to worry about if my baby is going to be sick or just worrying about bad things with the all green products. I'm not sure if the people who watched the webcast or listened to the phone presentation only had selective hearing, but on both of them they talk about the $29/year fee and how it our monthly orders usually average to around $50 - 60/month. Now usually we need cereal or energy bars or shower gel that we pick up once a month, if not more and it comes right out of there. To me, as I was paying attention to everything, it seems so logical.
 27th of May, 2009 by   Mel -1 Votes
Although I was somewhat skeptical about Melaleuca I joined because of their no risk guarantee. I've gotten their career pack since I figured if I'm doing it as a business and I'm eventually going to refer it to family and friends then I better know that the products I'm telling them about really delivers on their promise, which is that it's safer, greener, and cheaper.

Now, I'm not a scientist or a pharmaceutical expert to know whether or not Melaleuca is indeed a safer or greener product. But so far some but not all of their products have been very effective.

One of the main issues I have with Melaleuca is that the products are not cheaper than the other brands sold in Wal-Mart. They have mentioned this at the presentation and again mentioned on a comment above. True, the CounterAct allergy medicine cost less than Claritin, and maybe a couple of other products but most either cost equal if not more than the other brands sold in Wal-Mart (especially if you factor in s/h plus the 5% fee you have to pay with each order). Don't get me wrong, I've really enjoyed some of their products but to advertise it as safer AND cheaper than the other products sold in Wal-Mart is a false statement. I have never paid $10.59 for a shampoo!! and another $10.59 for a conditioner. I buy tresemme from Wal-Mart for $4 each! nor have I paid $3.99 for one bar of soap. I usually get atleast 8 bars of Irish Spring for $3.99. Yes, some might say that it's good for you or good for the environment and that's why you're paying the higher price but how do you really know??? Either way, whether good or not they should take out the part that it's cheaper than the other brands in Wal-Mart because obviously it's not.
 19th of Jun, 2009 by   MelaPup +1 Votes
I have grown up with Melaleuca and am just now starting me own Mela bussiness. I have not spent any money buying leads or poasting adds in the paper. It will never be more than $29 bucks as a one time life time fee to join. (CostCo is $50 bucks every year!) This is the most awesome company to be apart of. I have done reserch on several other companies such as, Efusjon and Market America. Those r MLM and Melaleuca is truly not. We donot ask for a large investment and everything has a compleet money back garentee with no questions asked. THERE IS NO RISK!
My parents refered 3 costomers over 12 years ago and those 3 ppl r still in today. Over the years my parents have erned over $13, 000 just for those 3 costomers shopping every month, Thats residual income! Now my entire family is in, some chose to enroll a few ppl and now there products every month are compleetly payed for.
Some ppl are turned away by having to make a monthly order, well u still brush ur teeth and wash ur clothes right?
A friend of mine that is in Melaleuca dropped out cause she thought it was to much to pay for products, a week later she called saying she ran out of laundry soap and Tide was too expensive and asked to get back in. Melaleuca's pruducts will save u money hands down!
I could ramble on for hours about how honest and great this company is but I must end this haha.
I hope you have taken wut iv said to heart and really consider this company as an addition to you and your family.
 25th of Jun, 2009 by   biskit +1 Votes
I have been a customer now for a year. The renew lotion has helped out a lot with my son's eczema after trying countless products over the counter and from the doctor. It is nice to clean with a product that you don't need ventalation and a bad smell. You can mix the cleaning products to make bug spray, carpet cleaner, etc. If you think about it, a small concentrated bottle cost an average of $12.00 but you can make up to four bottle of a cleaner...the costs the gas money to go get another bottle, use it and then dispose of the container for a store product that you don't know what is in it. You can contact poison control, internet or the company to find out what is exactly in their products. When was the last time you could that with store brought cleaners? One concentrated bottle of "tough and tender" equals five bottles of "409". What is wonderful you can use it on anything tile, glass stove tops, mirrors, etc.
If you don't like it, don't sign up for it...dah! I have friends and family that order it through me because they don't want to go through the whole process and then will probably forget to order it for the next month. And the automatic shipping if you do forget...that is why you make a list for them to send it to you, just in case you do forget! They don't randomly send you stuff, they send stuff that you have previously ordered or what is in your shopping list.
It is so much nicer to have four bottles of cleaners that clean my whole house than 20 some products under my kitchen sink.
 30th of Jun, 2009 by   Wonders09 0 Votes
I'm sorry but I must say, if you pay to start "your business" without reading through a contract, you have no one to blame but yourself. Did someone hold a gun to your head demanding you sign up? No? Ok then, your fault, you deal with it and stop blaming other people for your mistake. You can say that about ANY company or organization, it depends on how you view it. You only feel pressured because you let them pressure you. It's called SALES. Their job is to SELL you something. It does not always have to be pressured sales.
 3rd of Jul, 2009 by   David J.. +2 Votes
While there are people in every organization, company, or even the corner gas station who are crooked, and fail to disclose important information. I have no sympathy for those who do not read contracts before signing. You put your signature on the piece of paper indicating that you will abide by the terms.

In years past have signed contracts without reading, and almost always get burned. Shame on ME. A contract is legal and binding whether you read it or not. If it has your signature, you have no one to blame for you not understanding the terms but yourself.
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   Kay718 +3 Votes
I LOVE my Melaleuca products! I've been a happy customer for two years and absolutely love sharing this wonderful company with others. The products are so versatile and safe...you can actually bathe in the tough and tender all purpose cleaner! Sol-u-mel is a miracle stain remover, purifies the air in your home, kills dust mites, and keeps bugs away! Since I have completely trashed all of my toxic chemicals and switched over to Melaleucas products, I no longer have allergies or hay-fever! The bars of soap are super-concentrated as well so they last me about three months! That's awesome! The vitamins contain scientifically proven Oligo Fructose Complex which protects antioxidants for about twenty bucks a month(with calcium supps) Can't beat that! Bottom line...Melaleuca is a wonderful wellness company that manufactures products that are the best of science and nature. Preferred customer membership is to get wholesale prices. People don't have to be preferred customers. You can sign up direct and pay full price. Personally, I would rather sign up preferred and SAVE money on top-of-the-line products!
Kayla C.
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   Daniel C  Best Advice +4 Votes
Wow. Many, many, many of you need to read the book called the "Question behind the question." Melaleuca should not be blamed for 99% of the complaints I read. I did not read all of them, but read several of them. All of the complaints are from people who didn't look into what they signed up for, then blame Melaleuca because they didn't like the terms the signed up for. Yes you have to buy so many points and product each month - they tell you that UPFRONT. One person said they kept forgetting to place an order, so they kept getting their back up order (which they decide what is in it). Seriously man - step up to the plate. If you don't use the products, don't like the company, write the letter (which is soooo difficult) to get out of it, and GROW UP. You are to blame, NOT MELALEUCA. Melaleuca is not a get rich company, is not a mlm, and is a very good company with great products. It is YOUR BUSINESS and you do have to pay for the marketing material you use - you get the income from the people you sign up also. You don't HAVE to do it as a business, they have numerous people who just buy the products. Much like everything else, it is what you make it.

Antivirus Software is a Waste of Money