logo

Chase Bank
CLOSED MY ACCOUNT WITHOUT NOTICE
3. (20 mins ago)
Msft *Xbox Liv Bill.xbox.comwa
Unauthorized use of debit / checking account by a minor
4. (30 mins ago)
Gembusters.com
Closed Group. No admin. Follow ups
5. (34 mins ago)
seekingcougar.com
Total scam and many girls are fakes

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Mediacom Complaints & Reviews - Internet speed problem

Mediacom Contacts & Informations

Mediacom

Posted:    Anthony Dickinson

Internet speed problem

I have been working with Mediacom for the passed couple of years to resolve my ongoing issue with internet speeds. I have literally called the 800 number 60-70 times in the passed few years. I have had tech support at my home at least 12-15 times. My internet speed problem has only been fixed temporarily a couple of times. It is a constant cycle. I have had calls not returned, I have had several maintenance calls scheduled when no one came by and no one called to inform me there were not going to be here. I had one occasion that the scheduled call was between 10am and 5 pm. My wife waited at the house all day only to greet a man at our door at 10 after 5 and the man said, “the problems are the lines outside, I will relay the message to the linemen.” I have had enough w/ the service, so tonight I have decided to search the internet for people to contact. I want to spread the word and I want to do anything to reach to someone that has more power than just the little pesky consumer that wants what he is promised. Please feel free to contact me about this complaint.

Cable internet
Mediacom cable company
Currituck County, NC
Comments United States Internet Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Mar, 2007 by   MadPops 0 Votes
Hey m8 I feel for ya I have been having the same issue. I ordered the 15 down and 1 up line my speeds are only at 4 - 8 down and 768 up or so or I lose connection at least 2- 3 times a week and that sucks cux I have a VOIP phone. They keep charging me for the 15meg line but wont fix the problem . Now at the time I am writing this I am getting a whopping 2 meg down and this is after they "upgraded there equipment". I called to see if there is a problem with my signal and i am always told we dont see anything wrong on or end it must be your equipment(router) ummm I dont have a router I have there SMC wireless router/modem they supplied. I have only had these issues for 2 months the period the time I have been with the company. In my opinion Mediacom does not care about there server provided to there customers. If you have different providers in your ares DONT GO WITH MEDIACOM.
 23rd of Sep, 2008 by   Josh Crager 0 Votes
I have lived in my new home for 6 months now.. I have been paying for the basic 8 meg download speed internet service the entire time, and the highest i have EVER SEEN is 1.5 meg download and 480k upload. I have been told SEVERAL times that "they are working on it...yeah..
Also - It has become pretty common to have them "shut down" the internet EVERY NIGHT past midnight.. haha - I do most of my work during this time. They say there was a fiber optic line severed somewhere near here, and they are trying to get it fixed, nnot trying too hard i assume.

Is there any sort of a class action lawsuit forming about this??

let me know.
 13th of Jan, 2009 by   Spydervenom 0 Votes
I live in Barco, and have had Mediacom for 3 years now. After using many other cable ISP's across the country, I must admit, Mediacom has been the worst. Its now 1/13/09 and I have had 46 hours of internet time this year. Thats 46 hours out of 300+ possible hours that it could have been working. I have called their customer support number probably 40 times in the past few years, and techs have been sent out to inspect my lines 7 times. Each time they say everything looks fine outside. Well, I bought a new modem, cat 5 cable, and NIC card. Being a network analyst, everythings fine inside as well. I found this complaint, by googling to see if anyone else in Currituck County had similiar problems as myself. I asked the last tech that came to my home if they could install a line amplifier, due to the fact that everytime I call Customer Support, they tell me that my modem is receiving a "weak signal" Granted they did give me a $55 credit for a few months, but between this house, and my house in Snug Harbor, I give them $200 a month for their services. My other house has absolutely no problems, just the one in Barco. It is more then frustrating. I just had to rant.

Pissed off in Currituck County...
 18th of Nov, 2009 by   Jeicrash 0 Votes
I'm in S.E. Iowa and we went with Mediacom because our small town is so far behind when it comes to technology it was just about our only choice. For starters our DVR was on the fritz, they replaced, now its ok. Our Internet goes down every night, and the modem has to be reset at least four times a day. I did work for an ISP for 8 years I know how it works and mediacom in my opinion just makes it a hassle to enjoy the service you PAY for.
I have 12mb down 1mb up. So far I see about 4mb down 768KBup. The upload is fine most of the time, but the download speed just sucks. They seam to throttle certain protocols as well such as torrent, and p2p traffic. I don't download anything illegal, but I do download a lot of large open source packages for testing. I may make another call to them to see if it can be fixed, otherwise my next call may just be to cancel.
 1st of Aug, 2010 by   SRBrenton 0 Votes
I signed up for mediacom service about 4 years ago, at that time I was set up for 10Mb down. My speed test on numerous sites and servers never exceeded 2Mb so the calls to tech support started. Two total techs came to check my lines, connections, routers, etc. EAch tech told me that if I am getting around 2Mb that it is normal, of course I informed him (in a nice mannor) that he was crazy. The second tech finally told me that they only had 3Mb in that area and didn't even know the company he works for had a speed as high as 10Mb. At the moment I have ATT dsl, in which my speed test exceeds the speed I have (great service), but I need more. So 3 weeks ago I signed up for 12Mb. This time I made sure 12Mb is infact available in my area. 90% of the time I am hitting between 1.5 and 4 Mb/s out of the 12. the other 10% I do indeed hit about 10 - 11.5 which is great. I talked to three tech support reps over the phone who told me that my speeds were definately slow and that mediacom shoots for a 75% percentile meaning you should get 75% of your speed on a good test, anything under was unacceptable to mediacom. I talked to a 4th tech who told me my speeds of 1.5 - 4 were normal and exceptable. The tech who came to my house agreed that my speed of 4Mb was acceptable. He told me that 4"megabytes" was very fast, I had to explain to him the difference between megabytes and megabits, he obviously needs a little schooling on basic internet related terms especially if hes a tech. Still in my 30 day free trial period, will cancel in a couple days. There is no way I will continue service with a company that is obviously, in lack of better terms, "rediculously unprofessional and well stupid at times"!
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   hgjac 0 Votes
I am in south side of alabama..i signed up with mediacom since sept. 10...but if we open two comp. in the house one person has to shut down his computer.when u sign up they tell 10/12 Mb. speed but i hardly get speed of 1.5 Mb. keep on complaining 10/15 times and only one thing they answer we going to upgrade our system. but question comes after how many months or year. why they charge hilarious money and why they stupid sign the contract when they cannot come closer to that speed even...??? even i call their headoffice since three months do not even bother to reply... why government do not take strict action with this people. they send repair guy and come and say everything is ok...but with what speeed ?? This has become a very big scam...hg...
 22nd of Feb, 2011 by   mediacomchris 0 Votes
Hello,

I apologize for any issues and I can help. If you want to reach out to me at socialmediateam@mediacomcc.com or the Mediacom Forums at http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport/forum/index.php I will do all I can to resolve this for you.

2nd of Jul, 2011 by   JustAnotherInternet 0 Votes
I am in Jacksonville, IL. For months, I am having issue where around night time speed goes down to crap. The download speed sometimes goes below 1 Mbps. Surprisingly, upload speed remains fine. I am keeping a log of when this is occurring. I can assure you it is occurring more often than I can keep a log of. I think the whole issue here is utilization. Mediacom is doling out more accounts then they can handle causing a bottleneck during peak time, which is in the evening when folks return from work. I have called Mediacom tech service multiple times, but they are no help because they come during day time, when utilization is not as bad. I am so fed up with mediacom. I wish we had an alternate broadband internet provider. I am about ready to take my complaint to the Atorney General's office. Mediacom got the market cornered in this small town and I do not have any choice.
 2nd of Jul, 2011 by   mediacomchris 0 Votes
JustAnotherInternet,

I do apologize for the slow speeds there. The problem you are describing does sound like high utilization during peak times. I know of working being done in Jacksonville, but I need to pull your account to see which node you're connected to. Please email me at socialmediateam@mediacomcc.com or on visit us on our forums at http://mediacomcable.com/CustomerSupport and I will see what I can find out about this.

11th of Jul, 2011 by   chrisga 0 Votes
Well I can say that I agree. Mediacom has to be the absolute worst ISP I have ever had. I have the 15/1 package in southwest Georgia and my speeds are an average 1-3megs. As I type this, my speed is .38 down, .83 up. This is completely unacceptable! I have already lodged a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. My next stop is the FCC, and any government agency I can get to help investigate these frauds.
They tell me it's utilization in my area. Well fine, then FIX IT! This has been going on for years. They're not making any attempt to resolve this, according to my neighbor who has had their service for over 4 years. I truly believe they are not making any effort, and are simply ignoring these issues and putting more of our money in their pockets.

Mediacom is a disgusting service and I would never ever recommend them to anyone. Nobody wants to help in their company, so I will take it to a higher level. Look at the attached image for my speed. This is common every day except for around 5-7am.
 11th of Jul, 2011 by   mediacomchris 0 Votes
I am very sorry to hear about this problem and would be very happy to help you resolve this.

8th of Nov, 2011 by   Nick Morel 0 Votes
I have internet with mediacom(using RCA broadband box ) in Savage Minnesota and many nights from 6pm to 12am my internet goes on and off. I called for service and a service tech came out 2 days later. He claimed that he didn't know what the problem was but fixed some wire/connector in my cable/internet service box out front. I have checked all cables in the house and make sure no one is doing anything(running any other electric devices) during this time. The service guy said the next step would be to take my RCA box in for a trade but still said he really didn't think that was the problem. He said all the diagnostic checks were fine and see ya later. It was like 3 or 4pm so the internet was just fine when he came(they need to come when we are having the issue but I don't believe they come that late) It is still happening from 6pm until midnight. It's funny how he never got into that is their peak time for users(after work - through the evening). Any logical check next would be to see if they can't handle the load at those times, but that might make them look bad. I am sick of the arrogance that this company has and hope to see some investigation soon. As I type this I can see the internet box going offline and then back online ever 2 minutes or so...not sure if this complaint will go through but I will try again later or tomorrow.
 12th of Nov, 2011 by   mediacomchris 0 Votes
Hi Nick. I apologize for the problems you have had with your Mediacom services. There are a few different things that could be causing these interruptions. If you will contact me or one of the moderators on the Mediacom support forum via the link below, we will be happy to assist in any way possible. I can also be reached at socialmediateam@mediacomcc.com. I look forward to hearing from you.

4th of Sep, 2012 by   Jamie187 0 Votes
This inter-net is the most horrible inter-net ever. The inter-net never stays connected, and whenever you call they have an a high number of calls. Then they tell you to call back at a later time! The customer service is horrible and they could care less! Just like Chris Lord, he leaves us all the same pasted apology! If he cared he would contact us personally, especially with the issues they have.

Top 5 Scams to Avoid in 2012