logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Californiapetpharmacy.com
Late delivery, fault order and no refund
2. (2 mins ago)
charityadvantage.com
Lost what I paid for and got no refund
3. (3 mins ago)
Bait-and-Switch

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Maytag Performa Washer and Dryer Complaints & Reviews - Multiple product defects!

Maytag Contacts & Informations

Maytag Performa Washer and Dryer

Posted:    Herds

Multiple product defects!

We bought a Maytag Performa a few years ago, maybe 5. For a couple of years now it has continually gone off balance and strangely it does not shut itself off like the other washers we have had in the past. Bang, bang, bang until you get to the washer. The last straw was Saturday night when the water fill switch did not shut off. That’s what we are guessing it was because my husband put clothes in the dryer and started the washer. (I was at a baby shower.) He went back before the dryer had completely cycled to pull clothes out and found water everywhere. Water was coming out the top of the machine. It flooded the bathroom on one side of the laundry room and the closet on the other side of the laundry room. The water flooded about ten feet down the hallway and we haven’t been able to see how much of the bedroom yet because we haven’t been able to get the book cases out to check under them yet. We borrowed a neighbor’s 16 gallon wet vac and it took multiple fills to try to get all the water up off the floors and out of the carpets. We had to pull back the carpet in the hallway to dry it and the pad out. After having a high powered fan on the closet carpet overnight the carpet and the pad had to be taken off the floor and put outside in the cold January temps to try to dry. They were dripping as we carried them outside on Sunday. We don’t think they are salvageable.

The washing machine my Dad had while I was growing up lasted 20 plus years. No, things are not made as well as they use to be, but this tops the cake. I’ve been married 25 years and have had 4 washing machines, the last one being Maytag.
Comments United States Consumer Electronics
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Maytag Performa Washer and Dryer complaints
Maytag Performa Washer and Dryer - terrible product

Comments

21st of Feb, 2009 by   vwman99 0 Votes
Maytag appliances are junk, do not buy. Our Performa dryer had two service calls near the end of the one year warranty and each one took six weeks to get fixed. Bad timer first time, front drum supports and seal second time, and now the timer is acting up again but its couple months out of warranty. Maytag refuses to admit these are lemons. Our previous Whirlpool lasted 13+ years with minimal issues, this junk is just 18 months old. Now that Whirlpool is owned by Maytag I will buy Samsung/LG instead next time. DO NOT BUY MAYTAG JUNK !!!
 12th of Apr, 2009 by   Tony 0 Votes
I have a Maytag Performa Washer and it is going out the door 4 years later to the scrap yard. First the piece of crap motor went at 1 month old, the drum never spun right (need to babysit) and now it just flooded my damn house. Thats it, I will never buy a piece of crap maytag product again. Dont get burned by the garbage products that MAYTAG is pushing out the door today. BUY LG
 19th of Apr, 2009 by   bbstreet4 0 Votes
I too, have had nothing but problems since we purchased our Performa Washing Machine. I've had it 2 years. The first year, the drum was spinning like a fool. My husband and his friend "fixed" it. This year, something is wrong with the timer or something. You star the wash and it goes until the rinse cycle and stops. For minutes or hours, it depends on if you hear it make this loud screech sound. If you hear that sound in time and run to the washer to lift the lid up and down, up and down, until it finally "catches" and starts running again. I've been doing this for 2 weeks now. I'm sick to death of this washer. Do yourself a favor and buy ANYTHING BUT a Performa.
 18th of May, 2009 by   kbjvance 0 Votes
I bought a maytag performa in July of 2003. They was supposed to be the best ya right. It has flooded my house 3 times and you can't keep it balanced no matter if it's a small, med., or large load a peice of crap
 3rd of Sep, 2009 by   Speers 0 Votes
We bought a maytag performa July 2004, was suppose to be a great machine, and it has been the WORST crap ever! The first couple years were actually OK, and then bing bang boom... It spins and the tub is not in place, so it does the hokey pokey across the floor, and takes the dryer with it, smashing the heck out of anything in the way. It does not matter, how much or how little is in the load. You have to babysit the damn thing and continuously open and close lid, and re-organize the clothes, so you can get thru a rinse cycle. Usually takes us up to an hour, to get the rinse cycle done.
We called repair shops- they will not fix it, will cost more, then the machine did, and according to these repair shops, Maytag does not make this performa anymore because of this issue. Shame on them, for sucking us in!

DO NOT BUY PERFORMA!!
 12th of Sep, 2009 by   maytagdislike 0 Votes
I have had my maytag Performa washer and Dryer for a few years now. I have problems with the machine not spinning out right and now the agitater is broken. It will not kep lock in and spin right I have to hold it down so it will clean the clothes right. Maytag used to be a great brand I will never buy a Maytag appliances again. Also the dyer will not dry clothes unless you reset the timer 2-3 time extra. So much for energy savings!!! If they know they have a bad product they maybe they should do something to fix it, I sent good money on this set and it is junk!!!
 18th of Oct, 2009 by   Mat568 0 Votes
Performa is the bottom-of-the-line for Maytag. It's their budget brand, and our salesperson told us that right off. We have had some problems with the washer recently, but we got 5 years out of it and that's about what you can expect for a set that cost $700.

Is Performa stuff great? Not at all. Does it do everything it's supposed to do and last long enough to be reasonable for the price? Absolutely.
 31st of Dec, 2010 by   SICKINTIRED 0 Votes
Less than 2 yrs with a Performa ...stops in middle of cycle, open shut open shut lid until it catches
Then suddenly it doesnt anymore and ur stuck with wet clothes and a washer full of water..SUCKS
 2nd of May, 2011 by   Aggrevated Consumer 0 Votes
Same thing...I bought a Performa set 4 1/2 years ago and they have worked great up until the last few days. The washer will fill up, try to engage the spin cycle and quit, leaving me with a washer full of water. After I let it sit for several minutes, it would sometimes kick in and sometimes it wouldn't. I read several forums and they all seem to point to Maytag "slapping" them together. I called Maytag and they have the rudest customer service and didn't care whether I fixed it or not. Shame on them, I'll never buy another Maytag product. I am debating on replacing the motor or hauling the thing to the scrap yard. Hope this helps...
 24th of Mar, 2012 by   Richard Parks 0 Votes
Man, I think we should start a class action suit against Maytag Performa--I have the same problems as all you other folks.
I dreamed of owning a Magtag, the repairman never had anything to do!!! My Maytag jumps all over the second floor washroom and had driven us crazy--making the drain pipes leak on the ceiling. Let's get a good lawyer!!
 6th of Apr, 2012 by   Wp2008 0 Votes
Hello Mr. Parks. My name is Melanie and I am a representative of Maytag. We apologize about the frustration you have experienced with your washer. If you would like us to look into this further, please provide your name, the site you were contacted on, your user ID name, your phone number, your address, the full model and serial number, and email the requested information to Maytag.Digital@maytag.com. We would be happy to review your concerns further. Sincerely, Melanie.
 13th of Dec, 2012 by   S. Thomas 0 Votes
I cannot get a repairman to touch my maytag performa because the serial number has worn out and they said that it would be too much trouble. Sears said it was the transmission and another repair business has not even bothered to follow-up with me.Called the maytag number from the website and was told that I would have to pay for the part even if it was the wrong part. I am so disappointed.
 25th of May, 2014 by   jim mack 0 Votes
I guess I got a good set. Bought performa washer and dryer 13 years ago. Three months ago replaced the belt in the washer and put a thermo fuse in the dryer. Less than 1 hour of my time and $45 in parts. No complaints here.

5 Tips to Sell Your Home Fast