logo

Relo Montreal
Kept full deposit unreasonably
3. (24 mins ago)
gosignups.com
Staff accuses customers in cheating
4. (26 mins ago)

Hudsn Plza, 2585 South Rd Poughkeepsie NY 12601
Poughkeepsie, New York
Phone: (845) 471-6833
mavistire.com
I went to the store to have my front brakes serviced and when I arrived for my appointment I wasn’t assisted for almost 30 minutes. The person at the service desk was very nice and accommodating. He came to tell me that my brakes would be fixed and it would cost approximately $250.00, which was fine. I then proceeded to wait for almost 3 hours while other vehicles came and left having had much more work done than I was having. I noticed the man Alfredo who was working on my car seemed to be taking a lot of breaks. My agitation must have shown because all of a sudden there seemed to be a flurry to assist me. Alfredo comes out to tell me I am all set, I say are you sure because I am going away for the weekend on a long ride and he says oh yes you are ok. He then says to me that as a courtesy he removed my back brakes to check on them and noticed a large amount of rust but told me just to let it work it’s way out. I said that seems odd but he said no it is normal, so since he is the expert I will listen. I leave with my car making noises and I have an understanding from Alfredo that I bring the car back in a week if it doesn’t stop.This noise continues on for days and it is now the 4th of July holiday weekend and I can’t bring my car in as they are closed. On Sunday the 6th of July I decide to bring my car back for service and plan to leave it overnight. As I go to drive out of my parking lot, my foot literally slams off the brake pedal thrusting toward my face and my car completely stops moving.Now my car (my only form of transportation) becomes disabled I have to have it taken to another repair shop to be fixed and when the mechanic takes off the tire to inspect the brake work which was supposedly looked at, my rear brakes fall to the ground in pieces. The mechanic informs me that if the mechanic from Mavis had even looked at my rear brakes he would have seen this. Also due to the fact it took a lot of time and effort to remove the cover for the tire/brakes it showed it hadn’t been removed in a long time so no way had it been removed just a week ago. Also there was no rust whatsoever on my brakes and seeing as my car isn’t that old and has only 50, 000 miles I wasn’t surprised to see that. The mechanic actually took me in the shop to show me.
I then had to have my brakes repaired again but the mechanic took pity on me and gave me some financial assistance.
I was without a car though for 4 days which caused me to seek alternate transportation to work at a cost to me.When I did reach someone at the Mavis “customer service” line – Joel to be exact he was extremely argumentative and told me that if his technician said he looked at my car he did and when I questioned him about the mechanics finding that there indeed was no rust whatsoever he said that is because as his technician pointed out the rust worked its way out which the mechanic said is impossible since there was no rust to begin with. I tried to explain this to him but he wasn’t interested in hearing my point.
Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Jul, 2008 by   silvio +1 Votes
Mavis tire company is a rip off ...Just like Jiffy lube
I had my problems with them...stay away from them!!
They will sell you work that your car does need. also try to sell you those cheap tires made in China and tell you they are just as good as the major brands...It's not true they are unsafe
 31st of Jul, 2008 by   peter +1 Votes
Mavis just as bad as Jiffy Lube...I had a brake job done and found out that they didn't cut the rotorss, but yet I was charged for this service. Never again...customer sevice doesn't really care
 13th of Aug, 2008 by   anthony +1 Votes
MAVIS is a rip-off. if you go in there for a flat repair they try to turn it into 4-tires and an alignment, brakes, shocks & struts.
i hate commission-salesmen!!
 10th of Nov, 2008 by   MB +1 Votes
Totally agree with the Mavis lies.
And comments like Anthony's stated, you walk in there with a simple specific problem, you'll end up with multiples, they'll sell you everything... is so true.
I brought my vehicle there for inspection and was told I need a new set of front pads, rotors and even the fluids they want to replace, so fine, do it. Now after all of that, every time I brake I now get this groaning and moaning sound and vibration which I never had before.
I don't know if they put the right parts or some components missing, who knows.
So I brought it back to them and they said the brakes they put in are FINE and the cause of the noise are now the "BACK ROTORS", hmm.. but I never had that noise prior to that front brake job!
Now I'll just take my vehicle straight to a mom-pop shop or dealer shop,
Mavis just lost their business here.
 15th of Mar, 2009 by   Brian D. -1 Votes
I wold have to totaly disagree. After being told by my dealer that I only had about 500 miles left on my brakes and would cost about $350.00 for a basic front brake job I decided to take it to Mavis Discount tires for a free estimate. I was surprised when they told me my brakes were fine and had about 50% left. Low and behold I got an addittional 12, 000 miles out of my brakes before returning to Mavis to have my brake done for about $120.00 with a lifetime warranty on my brake pads. I have 25, 000 on my Mavis brake pads and could npt be happier with their performance. I got great service and saved some coin, I recommend mavis to everyone with great feedback.
 1st of Jul, 2009 by   G. Koshefsky +1 Votes
I have a 2005 Honda Accord Something blew out the sidewall so I had to replace the tire..I called Mavis to get a price for a new tire..My family and I bought 4 new tires for my wifes Toyota, 4 New Goodyear Triple treds for both a Suv, & A Toyota Camery + New Brakes for the Suv..The manager Tim was very nice and fair..I called and got a price of $136 for A Michalin 205/60vr16 H balanced + tax out the door..
When I went there John the new manager said Tim doesn't work here anymore My tires are V rated but you can take a H rated, I said being that my three other tires are V rated I want to keep them matched...
So he ordered my tire for the following day..I left my rim so he could mount it when the tire came in..Next Day he called for me to pick it up.He gives me a bill for$221.90 I said are you mistaken, no he said thats it..Why didn't you quote me this price when you ordered it I said
You didn't ask he says..I could get that tire $30. cheaper anywhere..I paid and left..I said take a picture of my face because it's the last time your gonna see it here..This place is in Massapequa Park NY. 11762
790 Sunrise Highway..For the Lousey $30 he beat me for he lost a good customer with a large family of drivers..Timmy I don't know where you went but, I hope I find you soon...It was nice doing business with a honest man, its very rare to-day..
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   Shadow1266 +1 Votes
I am having the sqeeking problem after my breaks and roters were replaced. Now i will be going back to the mavis in White Plains New York for the 4th time this is crazy.
 18th of Aug, 2009 by   Jzod +1 Votes
These guys are the worst. Their customer service (local and headquarters) is useless and the reps are rude and unprofessional. I totally agree with the statements that you bring in your car for tires and they try to sell you something else. I went in for 2 front tires and was told that the left rear brake cylinder was leaking and needed to be replaced immediately. (Who asked them to do ANYTHING with my back tires?!?) I didn't get the work done there because I only went there for tires. Instead I asked my brother (who is a mechanic) to look at them for me... he did, and they were of course, NOT leaking. This was a year and a half ago and the brakes are still good today.

I also had a problem with them quoting me a price over the phone for a tire then charging me way over the quote. I disputed this and they were to credit my account, which they then CHARGED my account for the amount they were supposed to credit me. Absolutely useless service. Not to mention they are liars and thieves. They lost a customer and I'm sure they'll lose many more at the rate they're going. Sad that they don't really care.
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   powerlifter1450 0 Votes
Hello, hopefully this is the right place to send a complaint and request about coming from my experience at a Mavis store (Westbury, NY). I needed to replace all 4 tires on my car; the front ones were 18"/255/35ZR19-XL (stock # 218) and the front were 19"/255/40ZR18 (stock #0350156000). Both front tires were in stock and changed. One rear tire was in stock and changed. The other one had to be ordered. I was told for my convenience the last tire would be added to the bill and we could come back in a week or so and have it changed. Supposedly this was noted in the computer. This was my friend's car, and it ended up back in Maryland before we could get it changed. I waited a while but she has been unable to come back. So I requested a refund for the tire that was never changed. I was told that was nothing in the computer saying that the 4th tire had never been done, and there is nothing I can do about it. I would really like my $327 (+ tax) back and hoping you can help. Thank you for any assistance you can provide.
 14th of Oct, 2009 by   gabe09 0 Votes
Totally agree.
1) Was charged 138.00 for brake rotor. No work was done on my rotors.

2)Brought in coupon for 59.99 brake job. They ignored it claiming that it did not include labor and that I did not read it correctly.
The coupon said clearly including labor. Only after my protests and insistence they agreed to recognize it.
 12th of Nov, 2009 by   Insider_02 0 Votes
All the comments regarding Mavis attempting to sell additional items are true, every one of them. I should know.

The individual shops are not monitored for customer satisfaction or loyalty but solely on their gross profit percentage and add on sale 'ratio'. This is followed up every week with a phone call from the corporate office and if certain ratios fall below what they see as acceptable, you are told to improve them... 'or else'. The shops are also compared to other locations who's numbers are better often promoting increased sales regardless of legitimacy.

These add on and ratios include brake percentages, brake flushes, Tire Pressure Monitor service kits, alignments and road hazard warranties.

It is also policy that all wheels be removed and all systems inspected for add on sales, regardless of the initial service requested by the customer (such as oil changes or flat repairs). This policy is enforced by video surveillance from the corporate office (video feeds are not displayed in shop, even to management). This is the ultimate 'big brother' scenario.

Consumers need to be aware of this.
 27th of Dec, 2009 by   mad a 0 Votes
I took my car to Mavis in Farmingdale, NY because my rim was cracked and I needed to get it welded. The guy told me since it was cracked in 3 places it would cost around $90 plus I had to pay $10 to get the wheel balanced again. I paid for everything, but after like a month noticed that my tired keeps going down and i just kept putting air in it. Finally I took it to a tire shop and when they took the wheel off they noticed mavis only fixed one crack when I paid for them to fix 3. I called them back and the guy told me that it's over 30 days and there's no warranty plus becasue I couldn't find the receipt I couldn't prove that they were the one who fixed my car. I will never go back to that place, even if they're fixing my car for free.
 12th of Jan, 2010 by   Anonomous1 0 Votes
Mavis in Massapequa on Sunrise Hwy Are scam artists. The manager John should be fired. I bought tires there with warranty coverage on them. John the manager sold me a few months back. Got a nail in one and could not be repaired. Went in there to have it replaced so they said leave it because they wanted to see if they could plug it. Took them 4 days to get tire when it usually is next day, 4 days go by and finally I can come get it. I Go in there have to wait for them to mount it on the rim when I assumed it had already been completed, then he tells me after they placed it on my car and (balanced it without asking me first) that it will be $231. Mind you I only paid $125 a for the tire initially. He tells me that is the price acting dumb like he never saw me before, I told him when I dropped the tire off that I had a warranty 4 days prior. Then he looks at his records and finally realizes I have warranty coverage only after I got my old receipts out. Then his mechanic pro rates the tire tread and says its below the rating and he says "doesn't matter about my warranty tread is to low", when I objected he says "I'll take a look at it". Comes back and says its 60% tread left after they tried to say the tire was bald and will give me 50% warranty then tells me the new bill is $95. WTF I paid $125 originally, he says that he has to go off the list price of $195 and that's standard practice on all warranties. My biggest issue was he tried treating me like I had never been there when he sold me the tires originally and pushed me for warranty never telling me that any warranty is pro rated off list price. I am not a fan of extra coverage on items so I asked him a few question about the warranty back when I bought them and the only thing he said at that time was they go of a tread life of the tire nothing else. When I stated that he got argumentative and said I was just making up scenarios and Blah blah blah. All my info is right in front of his face and I have bought a few set of tires from them for around the same price. So basically he was just trying to jerk me and charge me full price and then after I called him out on it he did everything in his power to give me excuses to cover his ass on this. Do not buy from them ever shady shady shady.
 9th of Feb, 2010 by   CrookedMavis 0 Votes
mavis in poughkeepsie on route 9 are filled with scam artists.they will damage your car and tell you that they will fix it and it needs to be done asap.they will damage your car.stay away from poughkeepsie mavis next to price choppers.
 10th of Jul, 2010 by   D E 0 Votes
I had work done at Mavis in Patchogue, NY on Medford Ave. I had a front alignment done and two new tires and a front brake job. The morons there can't do anything right. The mechanics look like high school students who don't know the first thing about auto repair. After waiting almost three hours I noticed this bad rubbing sound coming from the rear brakes. They over adjusted them. Then I told them when they wrote the repair order I wanted the new tires in rear. They did the opposite. I had to wait another 45min for them to correct everything Stay away from this place. New York State should revoke their license to do repairs on cars.
 25th of Aug, 2010 by   Mark Cooperman 0 Votes
I am a service manager for a fuel oil company. I deal with customers day in and day out. I know the value of a customer and treat every customer with respect. I wish I can say the same for your manager Ray Permiceo located at 1742 Sunrise Highway in Bayshore NY. On August 24, 2010, I came into Mavis to purchase four new tires. Ray took all the information needed. While I was waiting my office called me and informed me that we have Enterprise for our fleet and I should let Mavis know. I immediately told another person at the desk. They said they will be with me shortly. Mean while, they took my car in to replace the tires. I did not see them pull the car in. After about twenty minutes, I went back to the service desk to remind them about Enterprise. The gentlmen behind the desk, aplogized and gave me forms to fill out. Mean while, the tires have been changed on the car. Your manager came in from the garage, his co-worker informed Ray Permiceo about Enterprise. With that, Ray very sarcastically ask me, "why didn't you tell me this before I we put the tires on the car, do you know what a pain in the ass it is to fill out these forms and get approval for? I tried to explain to him that before the car went in I tried to speak to someone. Ray would not let up. He embarrassed me in front of a whole store of customers. I was there for almost two hours. As it turns out, Enterprise does not cover tires. But I have had our service vans go to Mavis for wheel alignments, brakes and etc. I have informed our corporate office and what transpired. We will no longer be using Mavis for any services. This includes our entire fleet of service vans.
 15th of Sep, 2010 by   big ggggg 0 Votes
latham, ny scumbag sacm artist
 29th of Sep, 2010 by   m parisi 0 Votes
These people are either incompetent scam artists or both. Last year I went there for a nail in my tire. They told me my rim was cracked and wanted to sell me a rim for $175. I said no I would go to a junk yard. Today, exactly a year later I was stupid enough to return to these dump. I once again had a nail in my tire and was told again that my rim was cracked. Is this a coincidince or a scam. He also told me I had nothing in my tire, but when I got home I noticed a plug in my tire. I went back there and asked why did you put a plug in the tire when there was nothing in it. He denied putting the plug in, he said I must have had someone else put it in. Why was he lying about the plug? I think this is totally wrong to do to people. Hopefully these people at Mavis will get a taste of their own medicine. WHAT COMES AROUND GOES AROUND!!!
 2nd of Jul, 2011 by   Donds 0 Votes
I went to the Mavis in Poughkeepsie, NY near Price Chopper off of Rt. 9. I went there because the one mechanic I trust is down in Fishkill and I didn't have the time to take it to him. This the third experience with Mavis where I take my car in and within a week, something else goes wrong with the car. It happened once with my wife's Volvo and twice with my Hyundai. Let me talk about my two experiences with the Hyundai. Last summer I had brakes done. The job was fine but within the week I started having a rumpling or shuddering whenever the car went over 50 mph. That lasted a year. They were really pushing for me to have the alignment but I refused. Maybe that was why. But my point is, if it was ok before going in, how did it suddenly start acting up within the week the brakes were done? Second visit: Two weeks ago I bring it in to have two new tires put on. The guys at the desk are courteous and friendly. But once the car gets in the shop, you realize how all of that was just phony crap. I emphasize to them I don't want to hear about any other problems the car is having I just want two new tires put on and an alignment. I say this because I know places like Mavis are known for wanting to fix everything else they can get the owner to agree to, even if it doesn't need fixing. I walk across the street to the post office to get my mail and I get a call on my cell. I pick up. It's the mechanic. He says my brakes need replacing and that when he was taking off the tire, one of the wheel bolts broke off. He said he just touched it. (right!) He then says that he can fix it for only $10 if I have the brake job, otherwise it will cost $60 to fix!!! I'm thinking, is this guy real??? Dude, you broke the freaking thing, now go fix it!!! But no, the customer is a dog at this place and is milked for all he can be milked for. So I tell him, hey, I don't want the brake job because I know it doesn't need a freaking brake job. He says...OK. I walk back after getting my mail, and my car is on the rack and the food truck is outside and everyone it seems is outside eating something having a nice break. I'm cool with that, it was around lunch time, anyway. My car gets fixed and I pay the cash. And that rumpling sound is now gone that I believe resulted from their crappy work from the prior summer...BUT...now I hear what sounds like a rattling or metal pinging coming from the left rear wheel that wasn't there before. It's been two weeks now. I regularly commute into the city and can't afford to be without a car. The sound in the back has grew worse to the point that it sounded like a rattle snake...now in addition...there is the sound of metal rubbing...AND, I only have 3 bolts still, holding the tire left rear tire on because the idiot broke the forth one taking the tire off and thought nothing of fixing it without wanting to charge me for the work. How do places like this stay in business. They're as bad a lawyers nickel and diming their clients. Never again Mavis...Never again...I won't be tempted by the convenience of taking my car to you when I'm in a jam. Both the quality of your work and your attitude toward the customer (not the front desk) absolutely, resolutely SUCKS...
 11th of Sep, 2011 by   ozzy1912 0 Votes
I went to Mavis Tire and they told me I need to replace my driver arm control which is causing shaking. I didnt replaced it because I was in rush. Next two weeks later I went there again and told them I want the job done. They replaced the part but the car is still shaking. They change the part for nothing. After they replaced the part they said, also I need to replace the tie rod ends. Hello! That was the problem. My driver arm control was in good condition!

Beware of Alarm Company Scam!

Latest Groups