logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
3zoom.com
Yup they are a scam company
2. (0 mins ago)
Bankers Life and Casualty
It’s true they are crooks
3. (4 mins ago)
saleholy.com
Scam
4. (14 mins ago)
Nowlucky.com
Cannot cancel trial subscription - can't log on to their web site to do that
5. (17 mins ago)

Posted:    shakingmyheadoverthis

Unethical business practices

Manta.com
Columbus, Ohio
This is a company which profits from selling private information belonging to businesses. I am a small business owner who recently learned that when I Google myself, that I will find a "Manta Listing" revealing various private things including my income! Manta says you can "claim" your listing (which means giving them more information, of course) and this will help you to "control" your information (which was listing without your permission anyway). Yet, when I did so, my "claim" has been"pending" for 7 weeks now. I guess Manta will get around to it when they feel like it. There are no customer service numbers for Manta. But you can contact them to purchase advertising... What a scam!
The CEO is Pamela Springer of Columbus, Ohio. They are a rapidly growing company according to the website. I guess selling unauthorized information is profitable.
Comments United States Online Scams
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Mar, 2010 by   Editor@Manta.com 0 Votes
Manta response:

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Manta is a publisher of information that is publicly available about companies, including estimated annual revenue. We do not publish people’s personal income.

While most companies who claim their company profile on Manta see their update within a few hours, there are some submissions that are held up due to either confusing or missing information or the content of the claim is classified as containing potential spam words—sometimes in error. We do not know the name of your company, so we cannot tell you why it has not yet been published. If you will send that information to help@manta.com, we will be happy to explain why it has been held up and resolve your issue.

We work every day to improve how we handle the thousands of updates submitted to us by business owners. That includes processing them more quickly while maintaining the integrity of the information we provide for the millions of people who visit Manta to connect and do business with these companies.

22nd of Mar, 2010 by   JohnQ"Publicly available" +2 Votes
I too, have had my income broadcast over the internet by Manta.

In the above response, Manta says "we do not publish people's personal income" yet for millions of professionals like myself, "personal income = business income".

This is an invasion of privacy, pure & simple.

Where do you get this "publicly available" information?

And if something is "publicly available" does that make it right to publish it without the owners' permission? And to profit from selling it?

Thanks for having scruples Manta.
 6th of Apr, 2010 by   TAVROH 0 Votes
Manta has our personal home residence as our business address. I just answered another phone call from a person who thought they were calling our business thanks to Manta. I have emailed them a dozen times and never recieved a response. I will never give Manta our information. Their lack of competence will take care of them eventually.
 9th of Apr, 2010 by   Editor@Manta.com 0 Votes
Manta response:

19th of Apr, 2010 by   FranJ 0 Votes
My father's company was listed along with their annual revenue. I claimed my profile and it is yet to be approved. I believe that although, yes, this kind of information is publicly available it should not be available for every single person that does a Google search on the company's name.

I know search engine placements are not at the discretion of Manta.com but the fact that they are not, is the best reason for Manta.com to remove, at least, the revenue information from being publicly viewable.

Yes, if someone wants and needs that information for w/e reason, they will find it. But it's unreasonable to display it in such a public and no-hassle way.

Why not make it so that only logged in member can see it? That's a win-win situation. You get more subscribers, we don't complain so much. This could be worth your company thousands.

And agree with above, if displaying this information standard is a must, then a fastest claiming process is needed. I have only waited about 10 hours for mine, though.

Cheers,
Fran
 4th of Jun, 2010 by   adrastos 0 Votes
Manta publishes company income. Your personal portion of that income is unknown, unless you make it known.
 26th of Jul, 2010 by   ooh 0 Votes
These guys think they are clever:

137 days ago by Editor@Manta.com
"Our customer service team is available via email and phone, which can be found by clicking the Contact Us link included on every Manta page."

This is the information regarding the phone number on the page referred to:
"Manta.com Customer Service Phone Number
614-807-5105 *This is not the number for individual companies listed on Manta.com"

If it wasn't for this post:
108 days ago by Editor@Manta.com

"Manta response:

We will be happy to take down your profile. Please email our help desk at help@manta.com or call them at 1-866-432-6398. Our FAQ section (http://www.manta.com/coms2/page_FAQ) explains how we obtain the business information on companies. We apologize for your frustration."

We would still be guessing how to call them. A Google search with this phone number does not bring up a single page on Manta.com.
 31st of Aug, 2010 by   EVEN MORE TICKED OFF 0 Votes
HATE MANTA! WHEREVER THEY GOT THEIR INFO FROM IS WRONG OR THEIR PEOPLE DO NOT BOTHER TO MAKE SURE THE LISTING IS CORRECT! NAMES, CATEGORIES, EVERYTHING IS WRONG AND WE DEAL WITH THE JUNK MAIL AND TELEMARKETERS SPREADING THE USELESS INFO AROUND. REMOVING OUR COMPANY FROM MERCHANT CIRCLE, B2B YELLOW PAGES, ETC. NOBODY CALLED TO VERIFY WITH ME! THANKS MANTA FOR WASTING MY TIME EVERYDAY RETRACTING YOUR MISTAKES!
 14th of Sep, 2010 by   Nick all Nite 0 Votes
i agree i have called all week with no response, i just get voice mail and ask to leave a message and no one ever gets back to you, to bad this would have been a great idea if they had went about it the right way. i think they may have got my info from a recent credit card and this worries me to no end i want this account closed asap, the fact that they don't answer the phone has keept me up at nites worried about my credit card if they got from a cc company who know's what they are doing with it. if you have info on how i can close this profile and log on info please let me know via this post.
 20th of Oct, 2010 by   wickedatheist 0 Votes
For a few years I've been getting telemarketing calls mangling my business name. I finally figured out why... Manta had listed my name wrong, along with the address of an apartment I lived in a few years ago.

So I "claimed" the profile and corrected the info, and now I'm getting more new telemarketing calls, even though mine is a home business with a website, not a storefront that would be in need of any of the things they're trying to sell me (which should be clear from my profile, though I doubt if they read it).

And I'm suddenly getting a massive volume of spam to my business email address, too. Even though I do forward all of that email to the FTC.

Manta also does me the "service" of sending me a report on how many views my profile has on the site... and the more people view it, the more spam I get.
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   Johnnyf +1 Votes
WOW! I just calimed my biz on Manta and now i'm already ready to take it down!! Sounds like Manta's a total scam. Furtunatelywe didn't purchase a premium package through them!!
 23rd of Nov, 2010 by   Manta Hater 0 Votes
I agree that Manta is the worst. My business caters to affluent discerning clients. Due to the economy, my business has taken a hit, which is reflected in my sales/income. If any possible client were to google my business and (wouldn't you know Manta is higher on the statistics than my website!), they will see my business income is laughable. No legitimate potential client would consider allowing their high prized possessions in my custody for repair, assuming my income parallels an untrained Mom and Pop type business not worthy of handling their assets. This wouldn't be information that would otherwise be seen by a potential client before Manta came along! I can only hope there is a loop hole to be found by someone as angry as me with a good reserve and killer attorney, and Manta is sued for this ludicrous behavior. Sk it, Manta.
 29th of Nov, 2010 by   Ach3r0n 0 Votes
I had my private home address posted by Manta on their website! They are a bunch of scumbag criminals and the owner should be prosecuted for posting this information on the web.
Brilliant!
I called George Troutman, CFO @ Manta (614) 855-3455, the above number and it was his home phone number. I called California time and woke him up!

He told me to call customer service during business hours and informed me I was calling a private number. I informed him that no one ever answers or returns your call. He could not believe that.

I suggest everyone who reads this blog to repost this guys number over and over so it does not get lost in the mix.

I shall call him everyday until my info that I wish to keep private is removed.

Soon he'll experience how bothersome it is when people contact you at a number you wish to keep private.

George Troutman, CFO @ Manta Please call him or visit him and voice your complaints directly. (614) 855-3455 7302 Berkley Sq N, New Albany, OH 43054-8995
 9th of Dec, 2010 by   Spartacus666 0 Votes
I just made the mistake of claiming my business profile with Manta. Within minutes of filling out their required information I received a call from a pushy telemarketer. One of their scams is that the site does not let you choose a correct category for your business. You have to spend $125 to upgrade to a "premium listing" just to get to choose the correct category for your business. Their entire business model is flawed and is driven by older generation of marketing/swindling techniques.

The modern use of the Internet (Web 2.0) dictates that the user of your software is in full control of their information and provides a clear and consistent privacy policy. Users' faith in the integrity of your operation builds a strong community. With a strong community you have to ability to monetize your site via several advertising strategies. Whoring out people's personal and confidential information is not only unethical, it is a long term bad business practice.

I hope enough people realize this and they go out of business.
 9th of Dec, 2010 by   Manta CS 0 Votes
If you wish to have your company removed from Manta.com, please contact our Customer Service department between 9am-5pm Eastern by calling: 1-866-432-6398 (Press option 1) or via email: help@manta.com.

When contacting Manta, please provide the name of the company as it appears on Manta along with the city and state; or better yet, the Manta webpage address (URL) that displays the company profile so that we may assist you.
 9th of Dec, 2010 by   Annoyed with Manta.com 0 Votes
To my surprise I received a call from Manta customer service this morning to remove my listing. I guess my call to George Troutman, CFO @ Manta (614) 855-3455 7302 Berkley Sq N, New Albany, OH 43054-8995
waking him up at 1am was effective. I did not leave my phone number last night, he must have caller I.D. I will keep you posted if my info is actually removed. I told the customer service that if my info is not removed in a reasonable time that I will continue to call George Troutman, CFO @ Manta (614) 855-3455 7302 Berkley Sq N, New Albany, OH 43054-8995 at 1am until it is. Customer serviced replied "all the more to remove your listing" .

I suggest all of you that are having trouble with this company to call George Troutman, CFO @ Manta . (614) 855-3455 7302 Berkley Sq N, New Albany, OH 43054-8995 at an unreasonable hour to have your listing removed. It seems to work!
 9th of Dec, 2010 by   Annoyed with Manta.com 0 Votes
I did a search for George Troutman, CFO @ Manta (614) 855-3455 7302 Berkley Sq N, New Albany, OH 43054-8995 on Manta.com, he has no listing, how odd!
 23rd of Dec, 2010 by   Editor@Manta.com 0 Votes
Note from Manta: The people who are calling you are not connected to Manta in any way. But we have made some changes to make it more difficult for them to use Manta data. Get the details here: http://blog.manta.com/news/unintended-consequences-of-recently-claimed-companies

Corporate Tax Scams