logo

scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Magnavox 50" Plasma TV, West Virginia Complaints & Reviews - No video or audio on Plasma HDTV

Magnavox 50" Plasma TV Contacts & Informations

Magnavox 50" Plasma TV

Posted:    Tom

No video or audio on Plasma HDTV

West Virginia
I bought my Magnavox 50" plasma in December of 2006. In November of 2008 I noticed increasingly longer delays in the video coming on after turning on the power and then the audio began to delay coming on. After a few weeks of this problem the audio and video then stopped coming on at all. However, there was power going to the unit because the green power light was working. I noticed over 50 other consumers on this website had the same problem. WITH THE HELP OF OTHERS ON THIS WEBSITE, I HAVE FIXED THE PROBLEM FOR $4.24. YES, FOR LESS THAN $5.00 I HAVE A WORKING HDTV AGAIN, BUT WITH NO THANKS TO PHILIPS - MAGNAVOX. THEY WERE USELESS.

HERE IS THE FIX:

1. Unplug your power supply cord.
2. Remove back panel on your HD.
3. Look for capacitors that have a bubbled or slightly raised and rounded top. This indicates the capacitors have overheated or leaked and need replaced. The normal look is a flat surface with no raised feature at all. (I had two bad capacitors that were side-by-side and identical: 3300uf 10v. Also, they should be located on the power supply board. My power supply board was in the middle of my 50" plasma.)
4. Go to an electronics store or Radio Shack and see if they carry your capacitor type and size and replace them yourself if you are comfortable with removing the capacitors and soldering new ones to the power supply board. The capacitors will cost you $2.00 each or less.
5. I was not comfortable replacing the capacitors myself so I removed the power supply board by removing the screws and unplugging several wire connections. This was not difficult at all. I then brought the power supply board to a local electronics shop that did repairs on HDTVs and simply asked them to solder the two new capacitors onto the power supply board. They did it for FREE while I waited and it only took about 10 minutes.
6. I replaced the power supply board and back panel of TV and it worked!!!

Some people on this sight suggested replacing the capacitors with some that have higher temperature ratings. Based on that advice, I wanted to replace my two that were bad (3300uf 10v) with two rated at 4700uf 35v, but my electronics guy suggested against it. Instead, I replaced mine with 3300uf 16v, with the only difference from the original parts being the higher voltage (16v instead of 10v). I figure if the problem occurs again, I now know I can get it fixed for less than $5.00. Philips - Magnavox should be ashamed for such poor customer service and not telling people about this simple fix. When I called their customer service support number I was simply directed to a repair place -- two hours away!!!

Feel free to email me for any questions or follow-up on this easy fix for your expensive investment. DON'T THROW OUT YOUR TVs OR PAY FOR AN EXPENSIVE REPAIR IF YOU HAVE HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM I HAVE DESCRIBED HERE AND SO MANY OTHERS HAVE DESCRIBED.

GOOD LUCK!
Comments United States TV, Music & Video
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Magnavox 50" Plasma TV complaints
Magnavox 50" Plasma TV - Beware

Comments

11th of Jan, 2009 by   geneyes07 0 Votes
I got the same problem and was thinking it might be bad caps, thanks
 18th of Jan, 2009 by   geneyes07 0 Votes
I replaced two capacitors (3300uf 10v that were side by side) that looked domed at the top and it fired up with no problem.
 24th of Jan, 2009 by   keith 0 Votes
Thanks I have the same problem but hopefully not after today. I was thinking of filing a class action law suit. Let me know what you think. They to not be aware of the problem.
 24th of Jan, 2009 by   keith 0 Votes
Thanks I have the same problem but hopefully not after today. I was thinking of filing a class action law suit. Let me know what you think. They claim to not be aware of the problem.
 24th of Jan, 2009 by   keith +1 Votes
sure enough mine are bad also...thanks again this saved me i'm sure a 100 or more
 12th of Feb, 2009 by   sabre 0 Votes
My set just clicks, clicks, clicks. I think its coming from the power supply but not sure. Any ideas ?
 26th of Feb, 2009 by   Sandy +1 Votes
I'm in Wilmington, NC and our Magnavox 50" Plasma TV is just starting to have the same problem that everyone is complainting about. It was so nice of you to share this "fix" with everyone. The world needs more people like you in it and not those greedy ones that are selling the bad tvs that only last 2 yrs. They could care less about a customer being happy with their products, they just want to make MONEY!! I wish someone would publicize this information on the NEWS channels. Thanks again for all your help!! I appreciate it very much.
 8th of Mar, 2009 by   GySgt +1 Votes
Say thanks to the The Gunny that you got the info from. Glad to see your passing it on... Happy repairs everyone...

Semper Fi

GySgt L.L
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   Captain Dave +1 Votes
I bought this TV (Magnavox 50" Plasma) summer 2007. I loved this TV and was very satisfied with it. Once or twice over the last 2 years, immediately after turning the TV on, the green light would turn red and would blink 4 times. I unplugged it and plugged it back in and it worked fine after that. I didn't fret over it. Then about two months ago I started noticing that it would take longer and longer for the image to come on the screen when turning the TV on. I could hear the audio, butit got to be over a minute before the screen would come on. Also in conjuction with this I started getting the red light thingy going on again. It would take unplugging it and plugging it back in 4 or 5 times upon start up everyday, and then waiting 1 or 2 minutes for an image to come on the screen.

I searched the internet and found quite a few others with this same problem. All the others seemed hopeless and offered no solution to this problem until I found this website and this post. I was skeptical at first because the fix seems to easy to be true. I put it off and put it off until finally one day the TV would turn on at all. I followed the instructions in this post, I unplugged the TV, I took the back panel off, I found the power board right in the middle, I found the 2 capacitors, coincidentially(or not) they sound like the same 2 capacitors in this post, side by side 3300uf 10v, I removed the board and took it to a local TV repair shop, the guy looked at it and said $25 for parts and labor, and guess what! He replaced them with 3300uf 16v just like in this post.

I just want to say thank you to everyone who had anything to do with publishing this fix, and keep up the good work.
 17th of Aug, 2009 by   BrettR 0 Votes
Great solution. Thanks. I replaced 2 - 3300uF 10v (with 16v) capacitors on my Magnavox 50MF231D Plasma TV and this fixed the no screen & audio problem which included the 4 red flash sequence of lights. I had an evening of good viewing. The following day It would turn on with the green light (no red light flashes) but no screen or audio. I do have 1 green flashing light on power supply board. Note the solder job was sloppy but did get the evening of viewing after that. Very exciting to get it running with this simple fix so thanks for sharing. If anyone has ideas on what a green flashing light on power supply board with green power light on but no screen after this process indicates, let me know.
 17th of Aug, 2009 by   Tom 0 Votes
Keith,
I have been looking for others who might be interested in filing a class action. Have you moved forward at all on that issue yet?
 18th of Oct, 2009 by   semipro slacker 0 Votes
I have the 50" magnavox with the same issue. Two raised tops on the C8059 & C8060 capacitors(these are the numbers of the capacitors on the back of the board, typically the ones that pop first) .I called three different tv repair shops, the prices they quoted me are as follows: $60 if I brought the board in(althought he recommended against me bringing the board in, wanted me to bring in the whole tv), next guy said $100 to look at it, then probably another $200-$300 to fix it. The last guy wanted $100 just to come out to the house and look at it, then also another $200-$300 to fix it. I would say if you have any soldering experience, do it. It's two pins that go through the board on each capacitor. Heat them up until they are liquid and slightly pull on them until they slip out. You shouldn't have to pull very hard, in fact you shouldn't pull very hard, it could damage the board.(I used to repair cellphone main board for Motorola for several years)
I looked up online and found a company by the name of Digi-key(5th largest elecgtronics components company in the country) http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll (copy and paste this link)

I ordered my caps tonight and will have this done in a few days. I'll be sure to write back and let you guys know how it went.

To the person or persond that found this out, Kudos, good looking out.

To Phillips/Magnavox, seriously 2 damn $.99 parts and maybe two hours worth of work for the tech and you can't cover it? This is why you are not a true player in the plasma/lcd tv industry. Way to go cheap on samsung boards.
 26th of Oct, 2009 by   parkerjd 0 Votes
I bought my 50" Magnavox Plasma in Dec 2007 and it keeps plowing a fuse on the power supply board this is the 3rd fuse in 2 years. Granted the fuse is only 2 bucks but it keeps happening has anyone else had this problem and what have you done to correct it.

JP
 26th of Oct, 2009 by   Tom 0 Votes
JP,
I have only had to fix my problem once. I had to replace two damaged capacitors. Since then, which was early January of 2009, I have had no problems. See my initial post on this topic for the fix that worked for me and many others who tried it for the same problem. Is your problem the same as mine was?
 3rd of Nov, 2009 by   magnavox power supply 0 Votes
i am about to replace the caps described i will let you know we have two in the faimly same problem harry g new jersey
 7th of Nov, 2009 by   Captain Dave 0 Votes
@ semipro slacker

I did forget to mention that the guy at the TV repair shop wasn't exactly thrilled to do this job for me. He said that us internet do-it-yourselfers cost them money. Of course he would rather I brought in the whole TV and paid him $150 to fix a $3 problem. How did your repair go?
 20th of Nov, 2009 by   cocoamojoe 0 Votes
my god no one wants to bother with you if they are not making any money on you RADIO SHACK DOESNT CARRY THAT PART ANYMORE in my area so iam at the mercy of finding it myself i can order it off line but i want my TV LOL now
 20th of Nov, 2009 by   cocoamojoe 0 Votes
i have the same problem been evry where looking for the caps no one has them or will admit to having them cant mke any money off me so they are not to pleaseed to help radio shack doesnt carry that size caps anymore is there a new place that has them noe on in my little area seems to want to help
 11th of Dec, 2009 by   cecil in north carolina 0 Votes
The fix works. Agree that using the 16 V caps is a good idea. The bulk of the caps on the board are 50 V rated. Tried to use 25V rated caps but not enough space without building a piggyback board (may do that when it fails again).

BTW, heat is a big enemy of electrolytic capacitors and there are about 50 of them on the power supply board mounted on the back of the heat generating plasma.

I expect this will fail again but the fix is cheap.

Save a dollar and annoy your customers, good business strategy.
 2nd of Mar, 2010 by   CGDino 0 Votes
We have a Magnavox 50" Plasma that started having this problem. I had a TV repair come out that gave free estimates and they said it was the Power Supply Board problem that would cost $550 + tax to fix. I can't afford to pay that much and might as well buy a new one.

I found this site and my brother in law is an electrical engineer so he advised it can't hurt to try and fix ourselves. He understood exactly what the advice was to fix and we just took off the back of the TV and see the blown capacitors. Heading out tomorrow to get the capacitors just undecided if we will solder ourselves or have someone else do it. Thanks for this site, hopefully it work!

Yellow Page Scam ALERT!