logo

FAKEID REVIEWS ARE POSTING FAKE REVIEWS

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Magic Jack Complaints & Reviews - Does not work with wireless on laptop!

Magic Jack Contacts & Informations

Magic Jack

Posted:    Timmy

Does not work with wireless on laptop!

Magic Jack
I have the magic jack now and so does my dad. His phone works pretty well but mine is crap! I have it hooked up to my laptop on wireless. Whenever I pick up the phone, it is choppy and breaks up worse than a cell phone. In order to make it sound half-way decent, I have to hook directly to my modem which does nothing for me because I have a router for a reason. Now I have to get a real home phone for service because this one is very crappy! Unless you plan on using directly with the modem, I don't recommend it.
Comments United States Telecommunications
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Feb, 2009 by   zmannyc2 0 Votes
I don't remember anything in the ad for magic jack which said it would work over a wireless connection. I think people are expecting way too much for a $20 product.
 5th of Mar, 2009 by   Alex 0 Votes
I have been receiving “All circiuts are busy” for a few weeks. Very annoying.
Not reliable at all.Support virtually does not tell you anything useful
Ihatemagicjack.com
 28th of Oct, 2009 by   cableguynick 0 Votes
I have been using my magic-jack for 6 months now, and I have it plugged into one of my spare laptops that's connect to the internet over my wireless network. It has been working fine since day 1. So you must have a slow ass internet connection or crappy home phones if your setup isn't working correctly. Or you ended up with a bad magic-jack unit. I have a 60Mbps download speed now, and a few months ago it was only at 12Mbps. It works and sounds much better now that I have faster speed, so people should seriously keep that in mind before you buy this product, if your broadband speed is less than 6Mbps I would not have high hopes for this to work that well. It would also be nice for magic-jack to disclose this type of info on their website that way everyone who is interested in it could get all the facts upfront.

Realistically though, what do you expect for a $20 a year product?
 5th of Nov, 2009 by   amariedavies 0 Votes
We just purchased the Magic Jack and have it connected through our WiFi laptop. It seems to be connected correctly as we get a dial tone. However, as soon as we finish dialing a phone number it goes quiet and causes us to lose our internet connection - every time. We tried to call my stepfathers cell phone and it must've reached him somehow because he was able to call us back on our "new number", however it had the same outcome. As soon as I picked up, it went quiet, eventually hung up and disconnected our internet. Does this each time we make/receive a call... Not sure what's going on...
 15th of Jun, 2010 by   WishMasteR 0 Votes
I was having same problem with my MagicJack Today and I tried different phone and it works great!
I was getting discconect when I was trying to make a call, PLEASE try to use different phone who ever is having similar issues, this will help, nice and clear phone call, I will recommend this to my friends, thanks MagickJack Team.

WishMasteR.
 2nd of Nov, 2010 by   VTF 0 Votes
I actually got a virus in my Magic Jack and my virus protection was not able to clear the virus out. I got online help from MJ for about 4 hours then gave up. I asked if I could buy a new MJ and get credited for my existing international minutes that I have purchased and the remaining time on my MJ. I thought they would be happy...but I was wrong. They would not credit me the time I have already paid for.

Then I asked an address where to send in MJ to be repaired but I was told that would not be possible by a first level technician named Blake and he turned off the chat. That wasn't it, he somehow this high level technician, Blake, locked my computer out of accessing their site again. So, no where to ask for help again or complain or ask what was mine and already paid for. I think that was crappy way to do business or treat a client like that.
 21st of Dec, 2010 by   DebbieandJerry 0 Votes
Report them to the FCC! File a complaint! Then you will get immediate customer service! They get in trouble for this w/FCC! I did it and MJ got off their arses!
 14th of Jun, 2011 by   garboy43 0 Votes
I purchased my Magic Jack six months ago and it worked just fine. This week it stopped working properly as each time I make a call it is very choppy, intermittent and sounds like the audio is stuttering. I have the same problem on my laptop as well as my desktop. Magic Jack live agents tell me that it is ISP's fault with poor line quality and excessive jitter??? I have two different ISPs, one for my laptop and one for my desktop. Does this sound reasonable?
 18th of Jun, 2011 by   Tabitha Cline15 0 Votes
Can anyone help me with mine. It says that i was on the phone with someone for 13 days and 38:00 minutes. But really i was only on the phone for 38 minutes so someone please help me!
 13th of Dec, 2011 by   Greenladi 0 Votes
i have read a lot of in-favors and not so in-favors. I have had 90% of my problems with magic jack is with the customer service. There are no real people to speak to; it takes way to long to try and get a problem diagnosed; the customer service people do not for the most part understand what you are trying to explain. I resent the fact that there is no human contact with this company. I have had magic jack for a long time, years, and there were a lot of disconnect problems when an upgrade popped up or something else of that nature on my computer, or the static was there many times. So i decided to get the Plus version. It was still cheaper than going back to a land line. As the ad said i connected it to my modem and went to check the phone number and it gave me a new number which i did not want. Upstairs to the computer, contacted them and it took them 2 hours to figure out that the new plus needs to be plugged into your computer before it works with just the modem. Would have been nice if the directions had told me that. My computer son and I reviewed the instructions on the package and there was no mention of this instruction to connect to computer first to register the product. After hours of frustration, the interruptions are gone, the phone line is in perfect use, and i do not have to have my computer on to use the phone. I am now a happy customer. I just hope i never have to contact their customer service again.

Credit Report Ripoff?