logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (10 mins ago)
No No Hair Removal
unauthorized use of credit card
2. (20 mins ago)
Evolutionwriters.com
scam
5. (45 mins ago)
uk department@live.com
how to claim the prize amount

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Magazine Services Of America, Margate, Florida Complaints & Reviews - Rip off charges!

Magazine Services Of America Contacts & Informations

Magazine Services Of America

Posted:    Valerie

Rip off charges!

Magazine Services Of America
7378 W.ATLANTIC BLVD. #222
Margate, Florida
Magazine services is a big rip off!!! Don fall for it! First they call u and tell u how u are in 'good standards' with the company. the nice person who is supposedly new goes over info. with u and after that she says do u mind telling my boss how i was it is my first day. So of course ur gonna do that and u do and the boss goes over the info with u... but beware if u ask questions ask a lot and re-ask them cuz thats how they get u..cuz if u ask a question they dont give u full details (as i found out later)... but yes she does record the convo... and pretty much dats the end of it..

So okay here i am now bout 2months later and i still haven't received 1 magazine yet from the 6 they are suppose to give u... but i had sen that they had charged me out of nowhere $93.04 on my debit card... and i know i had payed them the last 2 months ($20 each month) so its not no overdue thing.but the name listed as the charge was discount buyers club 8... and i neva gave them no authorization for them to charge me some xtra money on anything, but jus b careful with this company they are a total rip off!!
Comments United States Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

30th of Nov, 2007 by   Valerie 0 Votes
Magazine services is a big rip off!!! Do not fall for it! First they call u and tell u how u are in 'good standards' with the company. The nice person who is supposedly new goes over info. with u and after that she says do u mind telling my boss how i was it is my first day. So of course ur gonna do that and u do and the boss goes over the info with u... but beware if u ask questions ask a lot and re-ask them cuz thats how they get u..cuz if u ask a question they don't give u full details (as i found out later)... but yes she does record the convo... and pretty much dats the end of it..

So okay here i am now bout 2months later and i still haven't received 1 magazine yet from the 6 they are suppose to give u... but i had sen that they had charged me out of nowhere $93.04 on my debit card... and i know i had payed them the last 2 months ($20 each month) so its not no overdue thing.but the name listed as the charge was discount buyers club 8... and i neva gave them no authorization for them to charge me some xtra money on anything. But just b careful with this company they are a total rip off!!
 13th of Dec, 2007 by   cristine wood 0 Votes
This company is a rip-off. They are so overpriced on the magazines.If you want to cancel the subscriptions it is almost impossible. They will not take no no no for an answer they keep talking to get you to agree on a payment of one thing and then they charge you double every month. I asked for some paper work to verify what the deal was and they tell me there is no paperwork just oral contract. They won't play the tape to you either just like they really ever did tape the deal. It is their word against you. I think the Attorney General of Florida should be called in to investigate their company!!!
 3rd of Jan, 2008 by   Angela Brown 0 Votes
I too was suckered into their so called promotions and have yet to receive any magazines I had order. Yet they still take their money for the past 2 months and now I have to fight with my bank to stop payments to them. I hope someone does something about this. I live on a fixed income and I am fighting for my disability and thought my boys would have their magazines for Christmas. Please put this company out of business.
 8th of Jan, 2008 by   Vanessa Fabricius 0 Votes
I was sucked into this after only being in America for 2 months, and the more I quiried and asked questions, the more obnoxious the operator became. I enjoyed receiving magazines in my country in Africa, but NO ONE had ever treated me with such disrespect and unprofessionally. Whenever I tried to cancel my order I was told that it was impossible and that I was owing more and more money everytime! I haven't kept track of all my payments (unfortunately and stupidly!!!) but I know that it has been a substantial amount because they even suckered me into extending my subscription!!! And I recall that when I quiried it on the phone the operation ONCE AGAIN was very rude and told me to stop interrupting the recording. Please send out a HUGE warning so that no one else will fall for it, especially not foreigner like me!! I AGREE with Angela (previous message): CAN SOMEONE PLEASE PUT THESE SHARKS OUT OF BUSINESS?
 31st of Jan, 2008 by   Ellen Bender 0 Votes
I agree 100%. How did you get ahold of them to cancel it? They charged me and I want it taken off immediatly!
 7th of Feb, 2008 by   Sheila Alley 0 Votes
I am a college student who makes 40 dollars a week, and was doing homework when I got the call from MSA, who badgered me into subscribing. Of course I'm doing homework while talking and not really listening to what they were saying. Needless to say they charged me 50 bucks and owed a total of 1079, and there was no way for me to cancel! and they settled for me paying 250 which for me is still a lot 6 weeks of work specifically and 6 weeks of food pantry which only serves once a month, you do the math. Needless to say I am very upset and these bastards need to be stopped.
 27th of Mar, 2008 by   ARMIC 0 Votes
i recieved a phone call from magazine services of america. and they got me the same way, well what i did i just cancelled my card and told them to shove it up there ass. that i wasn't paying nothing, well they said they where gonna send it to the credit breau, but hell like that matters on my side my credits been shitty since i was 17 yrs old but that another story. just i hope it dosen't happen to someone with good credit. peace out and God Bless America. TSS 4 LIFE.
 21st of Apr, 2008 by   Cris 0 Votes
My father, who is 78 yrs old and slightly hard of hearing, got roped into this scam, not once, but TWICE! I was just made aware of it in the past few days. I too, called the company to cancel. They said they couldn't because it was a condition of his 'contract'. I listened to their tape recording of his 'transaction'. The first words out of his mouth were, 'I'd like to cancel my subscription'. The girl said he couldn't and proceeded to go over the terms etc and said, 'is that ok'? Dad, in a very depressed sounding voice did yes, 'I guess', then she proceeded to explain about a 30 day trail on another magazine. And in closing, asked him again, 'ok'? And again, you can tell by his tone of voice he didn't know WHAT to do and said, 'ok'. I told the girl it was clear that he wanted to cancel, but she said, 'well he agreed!'. It was obvious he didn't know 'to what'! I too said we would cancel the credit card and she said we'd get a monthly bill, which I said we'd ignore, which she said, would go to collection. I dont think at 78 Dad really cares at this point, but I think his credit is fairly good. This all started in June of 07 and somehow, they hooked him again in Spet of 07. He's being charged $38 TWICE a month for 6 magazines! Oh, I was offered a 'buy out' to close the acct with them! I think not! We are contacting the local Office for the Aging, plus closing the credit card acct! Good luck to the rest of you!
 24th of Apr, 2008 by   Johnny Ray 0 Votes
I just wanted to throw out some information. First off, here is a good link for some more information, provided by Fox television on how this company targets people: /URL removed/ it is definitely worth the read. So, they have a whole lot of bad press. When they called, I really wasn't knowing what I was getting into. I do know that I was offered magazines that they do not offer, which in in of itself is extremely shady. Anyway, their address that is on their letter is:

Magazine Services of America
7378 W. Atlantic Blvd. #222
Margate, FL 33063

Phone: 1-877-259-8716

I just don't dig people who take advantage of the elderly. They are supposed to be honored and respected. They just do wrong.
 24th of Apr, 2008 by   Johnny Ray 0 Votes
Here is their website... this is still posted today (April 24, 2008) and their website is awful at best.

July 01, 2007

Welcome to our new customer service site. Over the coming months, we will be adding many new features to help improve the quality of our service to you! Check back often to see what is new!

For immediate service call: 1 (800) 476-3053

Which is a different number than on their letter.
 24th of Apr, 2008 by   Johnny Ray 0 Votes
I called 1 (800) 476-3053 and didn't have any problems (knock on wood) with cancelling. If anything else pops up... I'll let you know.
 27th of Apr, 2008 by   Mayra Barajas 0 Votes
I got this stupid letter saying that I subcribed to these magazine...bs...i never did...so i called them and said "how did you get my imformation and they said.."your Bank"..I said cancel I never ordered any mag. and they gave me a confirmation number...today i checked my bank transactions and they charged me $57.48..f$k loser..iam pissed..
 2nd of Jun, 2008 by   Ashley Korman 0 Votes
I too have been a victim of this service. At the time I agreed to how nice and friendly the gentleman was i spoke to but declined their magazine service. One year later I all in a sudden have not only just one "verbal contract" with this magazine service but two!!! The first one I paid off with my credit card, due to the fact that I have good credit and I was not about to argue at the moment. This charge was $517.32!!! Well, Last month Visa credit protection called and informed me that for the past 2 weeks I had been charged $517.32 every other business day for 2 weeks!!! Thats a total of $3, 103.92!!! Needless to say Visa gave me my money back (mostly because the card they used had been canceled for around 6 months) upon investigation they discovered that the charges where made by Magazine Services of America's credit bureau by the name of International Collections Systems! Not only does the magazine service rip you off but they even set up their very own collections agency! In which will also rip you off, ALLOT!!!
Now, today we get a bill from the very same collection agency International Collection Systems for my "2nd account" threatening to file a lawsuit against me if I do not pay yet again $517.32, yet the letter does not state a date in which i must pay it by. Obviously we already had dealt with them before so I had my "Attorney" call their office and request some very simple information. My "Attorney" was hung up on 6 times before they connected us to the "manager" (who btw is also the manager of the magazine service, Mike Macintyre) he along with the rest of the staff also tried to avoid questions and eventually said " we will no longer contact your client for collections but just so she knows she is still in collections"...
This collection agency will NEVER file a lawsuit against you, need not worry, it is just a simple threat. They would be too afraid to have to come up with a paper trail showing that you did in fact receive their Magazine services, which it would be impossible to do on account of the fact that THEY DONT ACTUALLY SEND YOU ANYTHING BUT A EMPTY THREAT OF A LAWSUIT!!!
Thank you and hope this helps someone,
Mrs. Korman
 2nd of Jun, 2008 by   James 0 Votes
Yeah me too! I'm trying to wrestle my bank right now so that they can block them from leeching money off of me. I subscribed 2 months ago and since then they charged me abour $57.48 per month and sent me 3 shitty ass magazines that I didn't even subscribe for!
I tried calling up their costumer care and what was weird is the voice on the automatic response is the same one as the one that called me!
These guys need to be put behind bars!
 5th of Jun, 2008 by   nhammons 0 Votes
yea, they call me on june 04 at 6.45pm 15 min.before customer service closed. they misrepresented theirself stating that they were taking over the magazine service that i am already doing business with the "trainee" was very polite it was when the "supervisor" got on the phone is when the lying started. when i asked them if they were taking over "said company' supervisor stated yes. stupidly i gave them my card number. i again asked the same question and got the same answer. the bells did't go off until after i hung up. i immedietly called the number back and of course the office was closed at 7.00pm. don't think i didn't call this morning and cancel because i did she said it would 24hrs to credit my account we'll see.
 16th of Jun, 2008 by   Jamey 0 Votes
I just got off of the phone with these jerks from MSA!!! When they called me to set up an account with them, it was the same pitch that other people have stated. The first guy (who didn't speak Enlish very well) that was explaining things to me advised that he was affiliated with a company that we already receive magazines from. Of course he was new and advised me that he was going to transfer me to his supervisor to make the final arrangements. So anyways, a month goes by and no magazines then in the 2nd month we finally start to receive some. However, they apparently are not affiliated with the other company because we receive many duplicate copies of our magazines every month. They call my house everyday to check on the service, sometimes 3 and 4 times a day. They always advise first off how this is not a sales call. Then when I tell them that I want to cancel my account they advise me that they are just another company working for MSA. So I ask them for a customer service number and they then put me on hold and a few minutes later they hang up on me. I am so sick of these people calling my house and bothering my family.
So now when I called I was wanting to cancel my services and apparently you only have 3 days to do so. Who in the world would have received any magazines by then? It was 2 months before I received any!!! This witch that I just spoke with at the customer service just hung up on me when I advised her that I was just going to cancel any payments to this company from my checking account. She just said well we will just send it to a credit agency then and hung up. I am going to call back to speak with someone else to advise them that this woman just hung up on me and if I cannot get anywhere with that, I think that I will continually call them daily as they do to me. But, first of course, I will be contacting the Better Business Bureau to find out what my rights are!!! Do not sign up with this company they are a complete scam!!!
 12th of Jul, 2008 by   Yank 0 Votes
This company is a rip off. My experience with this rip off company is virtually the same. I would suggest that you contact the Federal Trade Commison. I have done so just a few days ago. These rip off artist need to be taken to task and interstate fraud is a federal offense. Maybe a class action suit may be in order. I would love to nail these bastards.

Russ
 16th of Jul, 2008 by   Yank 0 Votes
Hey, I totally agree. This is accross state lines and is as such is a federal offense. These folks could wind up in a federal prison for 3 to 5 years.

I am in the process of contacting federal and state authorities as well as the magazine publishers.

Russ
 17th of Jul, 2008 by   crystal 0 Votes
i worked there for 1 week. it was horrible. i had never heard of the company but i got a job there to pass the time over the summer. we are given a script to read from and also several rebuttals. these rebuttals are used for anything you say and sometimes it doesn't even make sense. like one, if you say u want to cancel we say okay that would be through your sales company but i'll send you out a list of our magazines. that doesn't make sense if i want to cancel what i have why would you send me another list of magazines.
and that short survey that they perform is only to set you up for the biggest scam of it all. they are not really transfering you to a supervisor, it is just another group of employees that only take those calls.

how they trick you into to giving them your credit card or checking information is from that short survey. for example Visa cards only start with the number 4. so they say they want review your card. if you ask what they have they say all it shows is a 4 and then x's. by saying this it makes you think that they already have that information and then you go ahead and give it to them. In reality credit card numbers are not stored like that. Ever looked at a receipt that you used your credit card to pay. THe last four digits of your card appear. SO be aware of that.

they have you prepay but how they word it makes you think that you are getting them for free. they first say that it is 4.79 a week then 19.16 once a month but once your transfered and you give them your card info they try to validate your card for 57.48 and say that you are only pay for the first 20 months 3 months at a time and the last 40 are free. yeah right that's a lie you just paid all of it early. they continue to try with lower amounts until your card is finally approved. i don't think anyone really pays 19.16 just once a month like they make us say.

they do record the conversation in order to protect themselves and that is smart. they make sure that you say yes to ever question but they say so much stuff in a short amount of time your head is just spinning and you want to get off the phone.
another thing that i noticed while being on the phones i don't think that they are really following the DO NOT CALL LIST, i remeber calling several people that said they were on the list but they were still being called.
lastly i just wanted to say sorry i was only on the phones for 2 whole days and i realized all of this was going on. i hope you guys can get all your monay back
 29th of Jul, 2008 by   Brian 0 Votes
As of writing this, I am the only person who has successfully had their account canceled.
This proverbial trump-card is applicable in every state, as it comes from Federal law.

According to Uniform Commercial Code Article 2, Statue 2-201, when the products in a dispute are valued at over $500, no verbal contract may exist, nor hold anyone legally responsible.

I never told MSA the statute itself, lest they changed my fee to $499, or something; but I did tell them that the UCC supported my side, and that a lawsuit would be pointless.
(Though, it would have been fun to have them spend all of that money, getting here, only to have me request Summary Judgment from the Judge.)

This is a print-screen of my BBB dealings with MSA.

Tax Refund Scam Circulates Internet