logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (4 mins ago)
Strippers 4 Play
Representative refuses to refund the deposit and is blaming me for the mix up
2. (9 mins ago)
INSD Institute Delhi
Illegal Activity
3. (23 mins ago)
Payoneer Inc
Scam
4. (23 mins ago)
www.thelasvegasweddingcompany.com aka thelasvegasweddingcompany.com aka thelasvegasweddingcompany
FRAUD ILLEGAL COMPANY! unauthorized charges on credit card , stole 2500 dollars, and doesn't do any service.
5. (32 mins ago)

Posted:    Valerie

Awful company

Magazine Readers Service
smithreader.com
I paid for a subscription for a magazine through Magazine Readers Service, PO Box 25, Byron CA 94514. I sent my payment electronically in June '08, it is now Oct '08 and have not received a magazine yet. A month ago I sent a letter to the company's PO box and heard nothing back. There was no phone # or physical address for further contact info.
Comments United States Magazines & Newspapers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Jul, 2009 by   got scamed +2 Votes
Big scam program. Don't get caught by them.
Listed as Magazine Readers Service, Sandusky Ohio 44870
 10th of Aug, 2009 by   chel +2 Votes
I recently recieved a phone call offering me Magazines PLUS a $1, 000 on line shopping spree. I get 5 magazines for 5 years.
At first the lady told me I get 2 free magazines. Then it became 5 and I would only have to pay $15 a month for 60 months. Then when I spoke to her supervisor it was $33 a month for 30 months. I can not use the shopping spree until I send in my 2nd payment. Then it will be to late to cancel if I am not happy.
I have 6 days from today to cancel. Still a little worried.
The company is America's publishers service.
www.magazinereaders.com
Any one know about this company?????
 24th of Aug, 2009 by   Unknown_Tactics -4 Votes
I actually work for the company and I can tell you they are not a scam. I hear people saying this and that but they get your permission and at-will participation before anything. And these people agree to the terms. So people lets not play the victim.
 2nd of Sep, 2009 by   jaquibradley 0 Votes
I strongly agree with these complaints. I ordered TV Guide and have yet to receive my first copy. Unfortunately, I didn't keep any contact info for them. If anyone knows how to get in contact with them, can you please send me their phone number? Thanks!!
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   LindsayRae +2 Votes
I strongly agree! A few weeks ago I received a call from the company saying they were calling on behalf of a Visa dream sweepstakes. They told me Visa had given them my info and that I was a winner. They told me I could pick 5 subscriptions for free! After I had agreed to have the magazines sent, they told me my bill was actually $39.31 for 66 months! At that point I told them I wanted to cancel. I didn't really want the magazines, and I cannot afford that price. I am a poor college student! They told me they had already made a financial obligation to the magazine publisher, and I had agreed to pay, so I couldn't get out of it. I was very frustrated, so I called Visa. Visa said they never give their customer's information to third parties - at this point, I realized that I had been stupid enough to get scanned. I tried to call them on the numbers they provided, and it went to a voicemail saying the number had not been set up. I wasn't gonna waste my time, so I called Wells Fargo and told them, and they closed my credit account immediately.

All was good until today when I checked my accounts online and saw that they had billed me on my new card! I immediately called Magazine Readers Service and they told me the same thing they said originally - I had to pay because they promised the publishers I would. They offered to lower my payments, or I could resolve it in a lump sum (around 400 dollars)

I tried to stay calm but I was pissed. I tried to reason with them. I said I felt scammed. They did not care.

I called Wells Fargo again and it's now in the dispute department. I hope this is resolved soon. I just feel stupid for falling for it.
 8th of Oct, 2009 by   scammed101 +2 Votes
Yes, this company or I should say the telemarketers are a piece of work. The same thing, they offer you this 1000 shopping spree (its all JUNK) and you have pay 5$ shipping for Each item you order, which tallies up fast. Remember, the stuff is junk to start with.
They record you, trick you into answering the questions they selectively record. I fell for it also, and I have to say...never AGAIN. I think the company is legit, you do get the magazines but the sleazy sales team is where my complaint comes in. It seems they are separate from the magazine company. HANG UP...DONT answer any questions...the deal will cost you about 1200.00 in total, the 1000 shopping spree is JUNK. It doesnt add up.
 14th of Oct, 2009 by   YoungbrokeAngry +2 Votes
The same thing happend to me, and they called me today and said that if i did not agree to pay them that they would report me to a higher credit service and that my failure to pay would be documented on my credit report. They are very rude and I doubt they have even heard of the word perfessionalism. I am a full time college student and I do not have hundreds of dollars to waste on magazine I wouldnt read even if I actually had recieved them. I had to cancel my debit card with my bank and I filed a fraud report, yet they are still calling me.
 14th of Oct, 2009 by   collegestudentrosa +1 Votes
I got scammed also!!! same as a college student! i feel like they target us!
if there anyway to stop paying in total or get out of the contract? are there any legal issues i may face by not paying!? I canceld my card and about to cancel my bank but i dont know what to do
HELP!
 14th of Oct, 2009 by   tkc23 +2 Votes
Magazine Readers uses high pressure sales. They have a D minus rating with the Better Business Bureau. My daughter (who is a college student) had a "contract" with them and we recently canceled it. Despite what they tell you, you can terminate the contract. Once you've told them you are terminating the contract, you owe them nothing from that point forward. Step 1. Call and tell them you are terminating. Period! At that point it is against the law for them to tell you that you owe them money. Step 2. Send a Certified/Return Receipt letter stating the same thing. You will owe them for any magazines received. Contact the Better Business Bureau in Toledo at the following number. Toll Free (800)743-4222. They will give you valuable information and help, directing you in the steps you need to take. Magazine Readers telephone is - 1.866.717.6528 or 1.877.608.2470. Address is - Magazine Readers, 1N Superior St, Sandusky OH 44870.
 11th of Dec, 2009 by   Tony d w +1 Votes
These people are con-artist plain and simple. They start with a bunch of fast talk and promise you jewlery and chances to win sweepstakes for thousands of dollars and the next thing you know they are talking about how much you are going to be paying and for how long. Its got me really upset but im going to try to cancel my (contract) and see where it gets me. Thanks to tkc23 for the info.
 21st of Feb, 2010 by   lvthomas 0 Votes
These people are complete scammers and for the person that works for that responded to this, YOU ARE A SCAMMER AS WELL!!! At first I was talking to this really nice lady and there was a sweepstakes drawing and the prize was either $25, 000 or a 2010 (or 2009) Ford Mustang. I am obsessed with Mustangs so I just wanted to enter for the car. But then she's all "well we're offering you 3 free magazines you just have to pay for shipping" and I went along with it. But then the supervisor gets on the phone and I feel like I'm in an auction or something!! She was talking so fast and crap and recording me saying stuff. When I tried to cancel before the 6 days were up, they tried to tell me that I couldn't so I cancelled the card that they had. They've been calling me every single day every few hours to get a new card number and I'm not giving them a damn thing!!! I told the guy that I had another card but it's through me and my husband's military bank account and we only use it for important bills. He had the nerve to tell me "well you need to give me the number to that card because this is an important bill". First off, no one NEEDS magazines, therefore it's not an important bill. Second, I'm not about to pay for nothing else from them because they're liars. Their "free gift" (which was a diamond watch) wasn't free. You had to pay for it. If they call you, immediately hang up the phone or else you'd be setting yourself up for failure.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   AndrewZaremba 0 Votes
I fell for the damn thing too. They set you up to feel like you've won something, and then hit you with charges etc. I was given no name of the company or contact info. I waited for a letter to arrive from the company. As soon as I received it (5 days after the order was placed) I called. They said that I was able to cancel the service, but I would have to pay for the first month, as I was financially obligated and they had already paid their part to the magazine companies. Again, this is only 5 days after I had officially signed up, and I had no way of contacting them beforehand. After enough arguing with the customer 'service' representative, she agreed to refund my first months payment ($68.28), told me to have a nice day, and hung up. She obviously wasn't happy that I stayed scammed.
 1st of Mar, 2010 by   AndrewZaremba 0 Votes
Whoops, correct that to didn't stay scammed, haha
 12th of Mar, 2010 by   Slothdaddy13 0 Votes
I got scammed also and they've recently started calling from unavailable numbers trying to get me to pay the rest of it off, making me think it's even more of a scam, so now I need to go talk to my bank.
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   jaquibradley +1 Votes
I saw that my last post was 194 days ago. Never did get a single issue of my TV Guide. Went the SAFE route and contacted TV Guide directly. A little more expensive, but the magazines come regularly and no rude person to deal with. My heart goes out to everyone above who has had to deal with them. Funny thing - I just got another letter from them offering me a "great deal to renew my TV Guide subscription." Yeah, right!!! At least now I have an address and I can contact BBB and turn them in! Revenge - so sweet it is!!!
 16th of Mar, 2010 by   LindsayRae +1 Votes
I should have replied to this long ago. I couldn't get them to cancel my contract until I contacted the Better Business Bureau. They took care of it for me, and credited my account everything they owed me.
 1st of Apr, 2010 by   Shawn87 +1 Votes
We received a call from this company asking to confirm our names and address so they could enter us into a "free" drawing of $50, 000, send us two free airplane tickets, and five free magazines at no cost. That was all the information I gave them, my name and address. A couple days later, we started seeing a few charges in our online bank account. One was $39.87 and the other said "Miscellaneous Debit" for $10. We contacted our bank and they told us the charged were from a company called Magazine Publishers Service. The Bank told us that Visa would refund the money since we didn't order the magazines. We contacted the company and we were told that they had no record of us placing an order. Our names didn't even come up. Then they wanted our debit card number so they could look up our information. We quickly refused and decided to call back another day, so we called them back today after we finally received some literature in the mail. There were no magazines or plane tickets, only a list of magazines that they offered and a list of magazines that we had "selected". After telling the woman four times that I didn't want to change my service and that I only wanted to cancel my subscription, she kept trying to get me to take more magazines. I finally got her to cancel my subscription and she didn't sound too happy about it. Oh well, find a different job...
 10th of May, 2010 by   been screwed 0 Votes
I was contacted by a nice young lady about magazines for 60 months if I paid the first 30. Not a day later someone else calls me to confirm the order. However the second price was higher. I thought it had to be the same company because the name was the same. Next thing I know I am paying for 2 accounts. A few months later I was contacted by yet another person. They were again seeing if I would like to change the magazines I had. Then the next thing I know I have three accounts going. When I called to tell them I didn't need all those payments and magazines they reduced the price. However they failed to mention that that would then cost me 60 months in payments. When I finally had had enough I called and they told me I had opened 2 different accounts not conjoined with each other. I told them I had only received 1 of each magazine so I felt I had more than paid for this service. Suddenly they say that I was buying an extension of the original subscription. They knowingly were selling me the same product over and over without feeling any regret. I did get ahold of a nice lady from the collection dept. that admitted it was a scam, but she could do nothing. I am refusing to give them another dime. If it goes to collection I will fight it. I personally think maybe we should all get together and file a class action lawsuit for misrepresentation and emotional damages!!
 18th of Jun, 2010 by   Tony Parker +2 Votes
Please post an address or phone number for this company so I can take action against them for my claim. I can't get any info from them. I want to block them on my phone but the number is "unavailable".
 18th of Jun, 2010 by   Ling Chi +1 Votes
I don't understand how the hell some of you could agree to pay $60/mo for 60 months for "free" magazines. Insane. Go to bestdealmagazines.com for damn near free subscriptions - they will sell your name, but who doesn't? You get really cheap subscriptions in return. I spent about $200 about two years ago for about 20-30 different subscriptions and they are still coming.

Here's the contact info for the company currently ripping you guys off. It's only a PO Box, but there are tools online to find out where the box is located. You're welcome.

Registration Service Provided By: Ron Allen Enterprises