logo

Scam

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Macy's Complaints & Reviews - Belgique cookware "Don't get Burned"

Macy's Contacts & Informations

Macy's

Posted:    Ann R

Belgique cookware "Don't get Burned"

Macy's
Twenty some years ago I got a set of Belgique cookware for my wedding. Recently I thought I'd treat myself to a new set because my old set, though still working, had gotten a little beaten up over the years. Big Mistake! In the 9 months I've owned the new set, one pot got little rust spots on the inside and. The handles get extremely hot to the touch when cooking. Also, when cooking, steaming water (I assume from the dishwasher) where the rubber meets the metal, can burn you. My Doughtier was seriously burned, and she was using a dry over mite, I bought another pot at a different time to supplement my set and it also developed rust spots on the inside. I have never been so dissatisfied with any product! Plus this is very dangerous.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Nov, 2010 by   mpatt -1 Votes
I also recently purchased an 8" Belgique sautee pan that has the stainless steel handle with the rubber undergrip. My husband used the pan a few days ago and complained of the handle being hot. I just thought that he was just complaining and his hands were just sensitive. However, while I was making my breakfast in it this morning I grabbed the handle and now have a burn mark in the palm of my hand. I also noticed that there were bubbles, like boiling water bubbles, coming out from under the handle from when I had washed the pan and apparently water had gotten up under the rubber underneath and never dried. Not that's HOT!!! I called the Macy's store and they said they would take the pan back. But the associate also told me that when she sells the Belgique brand she adds that they should be used with an oven mit of some sort. I was never told that when I purchased my pan. And if that had been disclosed to me I would never have bought it. She also went on to say that like other pans with stainless steel handles you should use an oven mitt. Being someone who has many pans with stainless steel handles, I have never had to use an oven mitt to use a pan on the stove, because I don't have sensitive hands. This is a poorly designed piece of kitchen equipment and I hope no one else has to get burned before they will take it off the market.
 26th of Feb, 2011 by   T. Long -1 Votes
I too was burned while using these pans. I contacted the store after searching complaint sites and they were unaware of any recall, but stated that they "were made to go into the oven". Regardless of whether these are safe for the oven or not, the handles should never get hot while cooking on the stove top. I went to their site and they recommend using "cloth or fabric", not kidding, to handle these pans. They also state that they are made for low to medium heat and that glass cooktops get hotter than gas stoves. This apparently can result in burn stains on the bottom of the pans, not to mention the burning handles. DON'T BUY THIS PAN SET UNLESS YOU LIKE USING POT HOLDERS EVERYTIME YOU COOK ON THE STOVE TOP! Thankfully, I did not have grease in my pan nor did the stove top break when I dropped the pan on it.
 14th of Mar, 2011 by   Mark Strauss 0 Votes
They keep calling from the number 513-573-8739 more than 5 times a day and do not leave a message
 18th of Mar, 2011 by   Gwen_jack -1 Votes
This is insain. I got married january and requested for my family to buy the entire set of cookware. It burns the shit out of you. I am filing a huge complaint. My husband is a Fire Capain on the fire dept, Who do we file a complaint to? this needs to be taken off the market?
 23rd of Mar, 2011 by   CHER 12 -1 Votes
I TOO HAVE BEEN BURNT BY THE HANDLE OF MY 11" BELGIGUE FRYING PAN. WHAT GOOD IS A FRYING PAN THAT YOU CAN NOT FRY IN? THIS SEEMS TO HAPPEN AFTER YOU HAVE USED THE PAN FOR ABOUT 9 MOS. I DIDN'T HAVE A PROBLEM AT FIRST. AND OF COURSE I DON'T HAVE THE RECIEPT. SO, JUST I WASTED MY $50.00. HURT & BURNT
 25th of Mar, 2011 by   RRoyal -1 Votes
Same here. We bought a set of two and are constantly burning our hands. I'm looking for info now on recalls and other complaints.
 3rd of Apr, 2011 by   MMcDaniel -1 Votes
I've had the same thing happen. I just reported it to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. The website Chowhound has a few comments about the frypans too.
 19th of Jun, 2011 by   ELiMW500 -1 Votes
My husband and I purchased these 2 pans and have been seriously burned.
Their website does state the handles get "WARM" and to use on LOW HEAT... But i have used on low heat and have been burned! I wrot macy's and the Company and asked to be refunded... So far No answer!!!
Would love to throw these out BUT i want my money back, since i bought them 3 months ago!
 8th of Aug, 2011 by   Amy from Ohio -1 Votes
My husband and I purchased the 14 pc of Belique for a gift for ourselves
so that we would have a matching set of pots and pans. This is by far the worst set of cookware I have owned. The set is NOT dishwasher safe, that however is not the problem. The lids all have rust spots and are holding water around the inside glass edges. This concernes me, due to ecoli and bacteria. I wish they would reseach this problem and do a recall, so that I and others would be satisfied with our cookware. Also we have any had Belique a couple of months. How sad is that!!
Amy from Ohio
 29th of Aug, 2011 by   Anice 0 Votes
Well I certainly glad to read these complaints about Belgique Cookware. I purchased a set twentfive years age with black handles, they are still in very good shape--I thought I might buy a new set-- well I was wondering if those handles would get hot or not --so I am really glade that I read all the reviews about the handles--I think I will just keep my old ones .Thanks for all the information
 15th of Sep, 2011 by   Anonymous -1 Votes
So compalin about Belgique, not Macy's. What does Macy's have to do with this?
 4th of Dec, 2011 by   meauxc 0 Votes
Would like to find a replacement lid for a 12-qt stock pot. Glass lid was dropped accidentally from about waist-high onto a tile floor. It immediately began to crack and spider-web the glass into thousands of tiny pieces. This pot rocks but isn't worth much without its lid. Can anyone send me in the right direction? I'm having difficulty finding any information about the company (other than their affiliation with Macy's) and about the possibility of getting a replacement lid. Thanks! lvkjn62@yahoo.com
 6th of Dec, 2011 by   Boardincleve 0 Votes
I agree. Do not buy these frying pans. Handle gets extremely HOT! Bought ours at Macy's too. Hope they take them back.
 15th of Dec, 2011 by   Anonymous 0 Votes
Of course they'll take them back. Macy's will take anything back for up to a year, and if you have a receipt, it's like two or three years.
 19th of Dec, 2011 by   gumbydog 0 Votes
my belgique pots have blown holes Thur them while cooking! 3 pots
 21st of Jan, 2012 by   allison s 0 Votes
I have been badly burned by this frying pan while just frying eggs or making pancakes, normal frying pan uses. It is so badly made i was actually searching for a recall for the product when i found these complaints. And to Paul Vance above, if a store sells a product and it hurts people because it is faulty it certainly is that stores issue.
 21st of Apr, 2012 by   jplpmn 0 Votes
Too Hot To Handle. My wife and daughter have both been burned b the handle on the 8" pan. Water that gets into the rubber insert in the handle sizzles as it warms up. Terrible pan!!! Where can I return these? No receipt of course.

jplpmn@juno.com
 10th of May, 2012 by   Jen215 0 Votes
My husband bought me a set of 14pc hard ionized Belgique pots and pans for my B-Day. Every time I cook in them it makes the food that I make taste like the bottom of the pans smell when they are wet. It has a weird plasticity, rocky taste. I will never buy this product again and am hoping to find the manufacturer because I would really like to get our money back to buy a new set. I can't take it any longer, it is just hard to come up with an extra $150.00 when you just bought a set.
 10th of May, 2012 by   jplpmn 0 Votes
I emailed : productsafety@Macys.com and complained. they sent me a shipping label for returning the set and sent me $150.00 Macy's money after they were received. I am very happy with how I was treated.
 13th of Oct, 2012 by   fedupnurse 0 Votes
It is not worth the risk of burnt flesh!! Yes, you have to use a potholder each time. I say throw them away! How can I complain directly to the company???

Nation's Trendiest Hotels, And 5 Ways to Stay for Less