logo

Esso Gas Station
Car Wash
2. (7 mins ago)
Off Lease Only
I would not recommend buying from them
4. (35 mins ago)

Literati EReader

Posted:    tdcb

horrible customer service

The Sharper Image- Literati
Horrible support and customer service. Found out support issues at Fix Ya. They actually had a recording for their support team and it disconnected the listener while their support lines were supposedly open. They do not return emails and their support tab says there is "an error with your message". Worst customer service ever.

Comments United States Consumer Electronics
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

31st of Dec, 2010 by   LiteratiReader 0 Votes
I am very sorry you had a bad experience. For any reading-related issues, including setting up your Kobo account, purchasing a book, using a promo or gift card, transferring eBooks, and more, please visit Kobo Customer Care at the following link:

Kobo Support or call the Kobo Help Line: 1-866-204-4714 (hours are 8am - 12am EST)

The Kobo Customer Care site includes answers to many frequently asked questions and can be accessed at any time.

If your questions are related to the device, please contact Literati Customer Support at the NEW LITERATI SUPPORT HOTLINE NUMBER: (800) 481-7983

Literati Customer Service Hours are: M-F 7am-7pm (pacific) Sat-Sun 7am-3:30pm (pacific)

We also are adding answers to frequently asked questions to the Discussion tab.
 1st of Jan, 2011 by   Ricevillage 0 Votes
I just called this exciting new Literati support Hotline number. Got an automated message that didn't mention anything about being unavailable at 5 P.M. New Year's Eve, although they obviously are. Totally useless customer support isn't an issue, provided it's attached to a product that's pretty much bug-free, but this isn't the case on either side. I would not normally recommend you triple your money and get a competing color ebook reader, but I'm ready to. Too bad; a smooth-functioning Literati just may raise all kinds of havoc with the more expensive ebook readers, but that isn't happening as I see it. My question has to do with the Literati losing the bookmark on a partially-read book, although the free Kobo software downloaded to the household netbook and two laptops doesn't have that problem. If you're reading this, at least SOMEBODY is listening. Not the right people, however.
 9th of Jan, 2011 by   ninomio 0 Votes
Well I too was about ready to give up the ghost, go after a refund an d [pay much more for another e-reader until... I tried the new customer service number, 800-481-7983... this after many fruitless calls to the number printed in the Literati manual. I was amazed at the knowledgeable, pleasant and patient person who very quickly took care of all my questions the result of which is a very happy camper with his useful new toy. The Literati Reader is easy to use and a pleasure to have in my electronic gadget collection. I normally have at least 3 hard cover books in the process of being read. I have already added 4 more to my ereader and the bookmarks work just fine.
 2nd of Mar, 2011 by   kmfloyd 0 Votes
I, too, have had a positive experience with customer service. My problem was handled quickly and to my satisfaction without incident.
 4th of Apr, 2011 by   thehounds 0 Votes
After 1 1/2 months after getting my Literati it wouldn't power up and they told me they would replace it. I had to wait over 2 months just to get the box with the return tag to send back to them. Several calls had to be made in order to find out where the return box was, they told me they were back ordered. Last Friday I finally received it. When I opened it, it wasn't new it was refurbished!!! Scratches and finger marks all over it. When you return something new you expect a new replacement. So then after turning it on to update it, I couldn't turn it off ! Here's where I made another call to their customer service and told them how dare they send me a used device where mine was brand new and this was broken as well. After yelling at them about my displeasure about this whole experience and not wanting someones used device, I demanded a new one. The service person put me on hold and got back to me and told me they would send a new one. I guess this will take about 2-3 weeks before I actually get my new Literati because they won't send it until they get back the old as I'm waiting for the box to return it in. It takes forever with the FEDEX ground service from the west coast to the east. Otherwise I like the usage of my Literati. The service is extremely slow and not truthful to the customer upon exchange.
 10th of Apr, 2011 by   salgal535 0 Votes
I too have a Literati that quit working. After updating it it wouldn't turn on. I have waited a month so far and no shipping label to send it back. I liked it when it worked, but I am afraid it is very unreliable. I guess they are right you get what you pay for.
 22nd of Apr, 2011 by   Ava Jean 0 Votes
Literati customer service... What a joke!! I too couldn't reach them between Christmas and New Years, took 2 months to get a box to send my reader back in, they were backordered, then a month later they sent me an empty box instead of the reader, and when I finally received a reader back, I guess the readers were backordered too, it was, big surprise: Refurbished. Scratchs, fingerprints, you name it. I called and voiced my displeasure, and they are sending another box out, but guess what? The new readers are on backorder! DO NOT GO WITH LITERATI!!! PAY A LITTLE MORE AND GO WITH NOOK OR SOMEONE ELSE!!! $150 for the Ereader, $250 for KOBO books I can't use, Learning to pay more and get better: PRICELESS.
 28th of Jun, 2011 by   AngelNDisguise 0 Votes
I also had to return first reader as it didn't work but one week. After waiting 3 weeks for a return box, followed by 3 months for a replacement. I received a used, not functional replacement also. At this point, I give up. The product is garbage. Thank goodness the store I purchased it from took it back, returned my money so I could buy a Kindle and start reading.
 8th of Jul, 2011 by   JudyE 0 Votes
I received my Literati as a Christmas gift. It worked fairly well for 6 months then just died. Couldn't power up. I have spent the last month waiting for my new ereader after voicing my dissatisfaction with the equipment to customer service. Received a box with a return label only. What a let down. It is summer and I want to read on the beach during my vacation. Time to buy a Kindle. Oh and as a courtesy Literati people - please have your customer reps tell the customer that the exchange will take weeks or months so we don't run to check our mail every day hoping against hope ... JudyE
 13th of Jul, 2011 by   Arwym 0 Votes
I just would like to know if you're ever going to update the Web site with the new support phone number and fix the contact form. I also would like to know if you're going to continue updating the firmware. There's still a lot that could be done to make the ereading experience even more pleasant. :)
 19th of Aug, 2011 by   MORE than Frustrated in Phoenix 0 Votes
I have been trying to get through to both 800-481-7983 and 888-204-4714 for weeks now and every time I get a recording telling me I have called during Peak Times and to call back between 3 - 6:30 pm and hangs up on me. Gee, last time I checked 4:45 WAS between 3 - 6:30 pm. I have two of these darn things and neither one is working! Definitely and F for both customer service and quality!
 26th of Aug, 2011 by   Disappointed-reader 0 Votes
So disappointed in this product and the customer services that are NOT offered!!!
 15th of Sep, 2011 by   SuperM 0 Votes
Every issue that was stated is the same issues I am dealing with now, has anyone gotten through on any Literati customer service line?
 17th of Sep, 2011 by   Beyond Frustrated! 0 Votes
Like others have posted, the numbers for customer service don't work and there are no options to reach anyone. Obviously that is their intention as they must have hundreds of complaints a day. I've been waiting weeks for my replacement, but by the responses of other, I shouldn't expect it any time soon or a new replacement. I will NEVER purchase another product from them again!! What a hassle! Thanks to everyone who posted so we all know what to expect.
 3rd of Oct, 2011 by   kirsteng91 0 Votes
I got the literati for my birthday and have been getting the 404 error for over a month now. I cannot get ahold of their costumer service hotlines at all. Does anyone know how to fix this error??
 13th of Oct, 2011 by   perelu 0 Votes
I have had me ereader since January. I had to return the first one because it would freeze on me, could not power off or change the page. I had to wait until the battery ran out, then I had to re-enter all my information. Know the second one isdoing the same thing good thing I purchased at Kohls and they told me they will replace it if it happens again. Very disappointed.
 9th of Dec, 2011 by   rosii1959 0 Votes
Rec'd a Literati ereader for Christmas 2010 from family. My first Literati started freezing then gave out three months later, I called KOBO and it was replaced (waited two months total for replacment) Second unit has been freezing up, called KOBO who used to service Literati, they gave me the new Literati support number. I called and was total they "no longer made the ereader so theres no replacement. No recalls." So, I'm SOL. I'm very upset and I'll make sure that all the ereader groups I belong to and anyone I speak with knows what type of company Shaper Image (who made the Literati), is like.
 9th of Dec, 2011 by   Cablingqueen 0 Votes
I received a Literati ereader for Christmas 2010 from my Sister. After updating the firmware through wireless last month and thoroughly troubleshooting I realized the SD slot was defective. It recognizes something, but will not read the media. My computer has no problem with the SD card, and I downloaded books from the library, so the Literati slot is bad. When I called the Literati support number today I was told the Literati was "discontinued." That I should "discard' the ereader and Xfer my books. When I asked about the Voucher program she said that originally, when they first came out some were replaced, but the supply ran out after the Literati eReader was discontinued. I am going to find out what kind of hard drive is in this stupid thing when I get home.
 14th of Dec, 2011 by   theresa1t 0 Votes
I have a literati that is worthless. It will not turn on, called the 800 number I got from KOBO...it says customers service hours are 7 am to 7 pm pst time, well recording says sorry you must have reached us during our peak time and to call back between 3 and 6:30 pacific time, tried that too...and got the same recording! Have determined that this thing is a giant paper weight!
 22nd of Dec, 2011 by   choozee 0 Votes
I just tried to call 1-800-481-7983 and like the persons above I listened to a recording telling me that I called during peak time and I should call back. I call back and get the same messege. I waited 2 hours between each attempt. The automated machine hangs up on me every time. My Literati is the worst device I have ever purchased. I will NEVER shop at Sharper Image again! Now I have an ereader that was and is a total wast of money! I'm going to purchase a Kindle or Nook, hell maybe I'll splurge and get myself an ipad. I deserve it after the frustrating experiences with this Literati!

3 Ways to Get Free Checking