logo

Literary Guild Select Complaints & Reviews - Receive books I did not order

Literary Guild Select Contacts & Informations

Literary Guild Select

Posted:     M.C.

Receive books I did not order

For the second time in two months I have received books that I did not order, and from authors that I do not want to read. Trying to get this resolved by phone is not doable since they have a computerized system which does not respond to questions. They do not have a phone number by which you can speak to a human voice. The next time this happens to me I will go to the authorities about them. I have read the numerous letters of complaints and basically they say the same thing. I would advise anyone reading this to think twice about any mail from Literary Guild Select offering selections. Because even if you don't reply, you will get the books and the bill. Sending them back is costly and you cannot be sure that they will advise you of their receipt - thereby you will be out the books and the costs as well.
Comments United States Books
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

22nd of Mar, 2007 by   JeffDaReader 0 Votes
You must mean those 'Featured Selections' that book clubs send out. They do it; it's annoying, and it's not easy to opt out (sometimes they'll let you, and sometimes they won't). Next time you get a package in the mail from Literary Guild Select, or any mail-order club, and you hadn't ordered anything recently. just mark it 'Return to Sender' without opening it. It goes back to the club at no cost to you, save the cost of gas to the post office; and you're off the hook for the bill.
 27th of Sep, 2007 by   rick dobson 0 Votes
These people not only sent the books they charged my VISA!! I had to cancel my card. They are reversing the charge , however this does not explain how they got my VISA # to start with. Be very careful with these people!!
 28th of Sep, 2007 by   brian ivey 0 Votes
I just pulled my credit and I have a collection account showing on there from Literary Guild and I don't even read books! I don't even read instructions on electronics, or anything. I have a reading comprehension problem. Now my credit even suffers from it! WTH!
 6th of May, 2008 by   Jeremy 0 Votes
Its been 5 years since I paid off my 30 dollar debt. Now they are messing with my credit history saying I owe them still. They are a BIG scam sending you even though you've cancelled for years. So if you do pay off your debts with them keep the records of your payments because years down the line they'll say you still owe them money. They have no phone numbers to contact them. BUYER BEWARE!!
 9th of Jul, 2008 by   Judi 0 Votes
I TOTALLY AGREE!!! Literary Guild is a big rip off. I paid off my bill with them. Paying them much more than what I ordered. I just thought I'd be through with them. Now I have a collection agency, promising to distroy my credit history for $240.00 plus dollars. I am writing my attorney general and contacting a lawyer. This is absurd. DON'T BE FOOLED BY these people.
 14th of Jul, 2008 by   Charles Aho 0 Votes
Last year I had the same experience as Rick Dobson above. I started receiving books from two of the clubs that they operate under. (There are about thirty or more names that they operate under. Check the Better Business Bureau for the list and all the complaints that they receive.)
In any event I started receiving books from them and they were charging them to my Visa card. I never ordered anything from them and certainly never gave them my Visa card number.
I had to get the Fraud section of Bank of America to invesigate the matter and they took care of it. My credit card had to be replaced with a new one.
Now I am again receiving books from them from two of their clubs and an invoice attached to the package. And, again, I have never ordered a book from them, or anyonbe else, in my life.
I think this company is pretty sleazy.
 17th of Aug, 2008 by   Gaylene 0 Votes
I too have experienced problems with Literary Book Select. I received books I never ordered; My VISA statement showed several unauthorized charges for various products & services. VISA reversed charges, cancelled my card and reissued a new card. Now, I am receiving bills in the mail, because they don't have my new credit card number. I have no idea how to contact them, or what to do now before they ruin my credit.

I believe there are two situations that could have caused this to happen. 1) I participated in online surveys that offered "free" products or services, but I don't recall giving them my VISA number. 2) I ordered a "free" credit report, but to receive the "free" credit report, you have to agree to a "trial membership" for credit alerts. I agreed and was being charged $9.95 a month for the service. After a few months, I wanted to cancel the service, but they gave me a hard time about it. I'm curious if anyone else reading these comments also participated in either one of these situations. If anyone has any ideas how to resolve this problem, please let me know. Thank you.
 29th of Sep, 2008 by   henry 0 Votes
It is soo stupid that in the year 2001 I received books that I did not ordered post office will not accept the package for return to the sender because the package was opened eventhough content was intact. I requested the company to send me prepaid postage so I can return the package back to them. Nothing was received from the company. Soon colllection agent started requesting payments. I called the collection agent and explained to the situation to them but soon they sent this to credit bureau agents without my knowledge and it stayed on my credit.
Today I received books that I did not requested or ordered from Literary Guild Select what a nonsense.All efforts to get telephone number of this stupid company prove no fruit. Will returned it any way
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   Mrs. Toby C. Mackie 0 Votes
I have received 6 books that I did not order over the past week and a half I want it to STOP!!!
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   Mrs. Toby C. Mackie 0 Votes
 30th of Nov, 2008 by   R.M.Suarez 0 Votes
Please, I need help, someone help me?

June 12, 2008
Miami, Florida

From: R.M.Suárez

To Whom It May Concern:

Please, I never had subscribed “Literary Guild Select”. Please cancel account # 738765532, and cancel all balance because I never received your services and I don’t order it, I don’t need it. I prefer choice for myself what I want to read. Is that clear for you???

I’m attaching all books. Please take notice of this and don’t make me lose my time, I’ll write complain if you don’t listen to me.

Next time I’ll not returned it’s, I have not time to lose.
Regards,

R.Suárez

November 30, 2008
Miami, Florida

From: R.M.Suárez

To Whom It May Concern:

Please, read carefully my letter and the attached. I DON’T WANT TO BUY ANYTHING FROM YOU, BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT SERIOUS BUSINESSMEN. ARE YOU TRYING TO SELL YOUR BOOKS USING THE INTIMIDATING HARASSMENT? I HAD NEVER CONTRACTED YOUR SERVICES AND I'LL NOT WISH TO DO IT. STOP!!! If you do not STOP, I'm going to write a well-reasoned complaint with the evidence I have.

I have never subscribed “Literary Guild Select”. Please cancel the account, and balance due, because I have never asked your services and I have never ordered it, and I have never needed yours books. I prefer choice the books for myself at bookstore when I want to read. Is that clear for you?

I’m attaching all books. I don’t want to receive any other books from yours. In my letter on June 12, 2008 I was told clearly that please, did not sending any other pack to me. Please taking notice of this and do not disturb me anymore. The harassment is no legal.

R. Suarez

Note: I’m sending copies with return request to the Literary Guild Selects, headquarter.
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   Jamie 0 Votes
If anyone has an idea how I can get these people to stop trying to collect from me I would greatly appreciate it. I have never rec'd a book or ordered anything from them, now all of the sudden they want payments. I have requested that they send me something in writing showing what I’m being charged for but they refused. The get nasty when I tell them that they have no chance in hell of getting my credit card information. My fiancée is turning their information over to the VA police/ fraud department but I don’t think that will solve the situation. If anyone has had a break through, please let me know. Thanks
 31st of Mar, 2009 by   Chris 0 Votes
this is ridiculous.
i have been sent to collections from this so called "account" i set up in April 2005!!! I have never ordered books from these people nor have I ever recieved any books.
GOOD LUCK GETTING YOUR $76.49. A*#holes
 1st of Jun, 2009 by   dezee +1 Votes
OMG. My family keeps getting continual calls from the Mystery Guild Book Club! It's also a major SCAM! Somehow they discovered our credit card information and have charged us $83 for books that we never received nor wanted! Ugh, does anyone else know about this?
 7th of Aug, 2009 by    tsgre 0 Votes
i made the mistake of joining this club and it is a SCAM SCAM SCAM! after i completed the "contract", i still got calls and letters for $17.84 siting one of books was a "special priced book" and didnt count toward the contract. funny it was fine when i made the purchase??? WATCH OUT and BEWARE
 10th of Sep, 2010 by   Donna Halfrey 0 Votes
Did someone call you, saying you are a good customer (I am a Literary Guild member) and that the club was doing a promotion: buy three books over the phone and you will receive certificates for free books next month? I found this phone call rather odd, since I have never been called to order books from this book club before. I relayed this apprehension to this person on the phone, and he changed the subject... my caller ID says that it was a call from Arizona.
 12th of Dec, 2012 by   clfglm 0 Votes
I actually signed up for this book club. After completing my commitment I cancelled. About 2 years later they send me a letter stating that I had not fufilled my commitment and billed me 49.50. I emailed them letting them know they made a mistake. A few days later a charge came through on me bank account for the 49.50 causing a check for something else to bounce. I saw all the complaints and decided it would be fruitless to try to fight these people on my own. I decided to see if my bank could help. I am pleased to say they did. They suspended the charge and removed the bounced check fee. They then began an investigation into the company and determined them to be fraudulant. The charge for 49.50 was completely removed from my account and they were blocked from attempting to reapply it. Now the only mail I get from the Literary Guild is please come back letters. All I can say is beware and remember that there are resources out there to help you with these thieves. My bank is PNC and they took care of everything. I just had to dispute the charge.
 18th of Aug, 2013 by   Devraux5 0 Votes
My Credit Report says I owe them $84 from last Oct. 2012; I never heard of this company; I never ordered any books from them; nor have I ever received any or any bill from them. This is so weird. Does anyone know how to get this crap removed from a Credit Report?

Saving on Pets