logo

Light In The Box

Posted:    Mark Davis

Rip Off

Light In The Box
This company is a classic online ripoff operation. They sell merchandise at cut-rate prices that is designed to look like it works -- but NOTHING WORKS. It's all a gimmick. The electronics are not even supplied with some of their merchandise -- just a casing that looks real.

They are an online scam outfit that flourishes off first-time buyers who are deceived by the front that they put up online. You can't find them. You can't call them. You can't get a refund. You can't get a return. All you get is screwed. In my case, I lost several hundred dollars. It was the worst online experience of my life.

You'll never find anyone out there who ever goes near Light In the Box again. AVOID THEM LIKE THE PLAGUE. Stick to major retailers who can actually be held accountable.
Comments United States E-Shopping
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Oct, 2009 by   Denny_ 0 Votes
Dear customer,

On behalf of LightInTheBox.com, we apologize for the unpleasant experiences and the late reply. We are extremely concerned to read your comments. We would like to know more details so we can address this issue promptly.

You can reach me at Denny@lightinthebox.com. Include your order number and contact info (a reachable phone number is best) and we will assist you very soon.

Thanks and Regards,
Denny
 14th of Dec, 2009 by   CakeOh 0 Votes
I checked them out and I saw that the images they use aren't even theirs. In some images they cut off the head of the model, and ironically enough they say that their images are copyrighted. Really is a rip-off company. Avoid buying from this site.
 5th of Apr, 2010 by   Lady Sherry 0 Votes
I don't know what to say, right now I'm sitting here with the poop face. I getting married July 18, 2010 and I just order the dress of my dreams off Light In The Box web site for $518.00. I'm already pushing for time and I don't need this drama. Denny if your reading this or if your really real I would really like to talk with you to assure that I gets my dress in a timely matter.1-704-712-2671. Now I left you my number online, that means I REALLY wanna talk to someone.
 7th of May, 2010 by   ayame316 0 Votes
I wholeheartedly agree that anyone buying anything, no matter how little, should stay away from LightintheBox.com because I bought a costume for a convention, knowing I was taking a risk but I thought it would be ok because of the online chats they had and what seemed to be good customer service. The costume was also at a better price than anywhere else. However, when it got to me the size that I clearly stated was medium, had one part of the costume labelled small and of course it did not fit. All I wanted was an exchange, it turned into a hugely long email communication and they SAY that they want to help but either they can't understand what your problem is or they just don't feel like it. They said, "please reply to this email address so that we can keep track of your ticket #" makes sense right! WEll then I get an email straight back saying that they've "changed" how they do inquiries and now you had to go to the site to reply. But I couldn't reply, because they asked me to attach photos of the wrong product for "proof" and there is no way to attach photos on the site! Its all mixed up, such a hassle, my problem wasn't nearly as bad as other peoples, but still, no way I'm dealing with this again and sticking to my tried and true ebay!
 28th of Jun, 2010 by   mnaeseth 0 Votes
I just got ripped off too. I bought a 7" in dash dvd player from them that was purported to play NTSC/ATSC movies as well as pickup TV signals here in the USA.

1) It ONLY plays PAL format dvds. (meaning anyone in the USA is screwed)
2) Only picks up foreign tv broadcasts. (again, if you are in the USA, you're screwed)

I have been trying to contact someone for a week and am getting nothing but endless auto-generated emails that don't even attempt to address or fix the problems. However, when you pose as someone about to buy something, you can get right through to a person via their chat service. If you try to use this chat service to complain about an order already purchased/shipped, you will be avoided like the plague.

LIKE EVERYONE MENTIONED ABOVE, THEY ARE THEIFS WHO WANT TO STEAL YOUR MONEY ONCE, THEN THEY WILL NEVER TALK TO YOU OR ANWER YOUR EMAILS EVER AGAIN.

AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID ***** AVOID *****
 15th of Sep, 2010 by   skeeterbite 0 Votes
The day after I placed my order my credit card information was used in several locations in Taiwan. Visa told me they were "card present" transactions which means someone actually made a card using my numbers. I only used the card for a purchase from Light in the Box so I too would say STAY AWAY from this organization! They refunded me my $300 dress order but cost me $1000 in fraudulent charges that are still not resolved because the charges were "card present". I live in Alaska and there is no way I spent $1000 in Taiwan...
 26th of Sep, 2010 by   Special Advocate 0 Votes
Again--one more complaint about Light In The Box and advice to totally stay away from this scam!! I bought one of their "Air Phone's" for $130.00 and it was a total joke! It would send txt messages in Chinese language if it sent any at all--you couldn't set central standard time on it--not all the features worked on it--and after 4 weeks of use the end of the charger got stuck in the phone and broke off and guess what, no charger in the US to fit it! STAY AWAY FROM THIS SCAM!!!
 6th of May, 2011 by   Janaeliza 0 Votes
Stay away from this company! They are horrible to do business with! They just want your money and do not even give the refunds requested!! Horrible!!
 13th of Jul, 2011 by   LightInTheBox 0 Votes
Dear Customers,

On behalf of LightInTheBox.com, I would like to apologize for whatever inconvenience you have experienced while shopping with us. We are continuously working on improving our products and service, so we very much value your feedback.

I would like to invite all customers with pending issues to please post your order number in your comments, this way we can investigate your case and contact you directly.

Otherwise, you can always contact our Customer Service team. They will do their best to offer the most suitable solution to your problem. You simply need to log into your LightInTheBox.com account and submit a ticket.

Please follow this link to read more about how to contact Customer Service: http://www.lightinthebox.com/knowledge-base/c5/a2746.html

Our Customer Service team will promptly reply to your inquiry, and should you need more help, you can submit a reply to Customer Service under their answer to the ticket in question. Thank you for your patience.

Regards,

LightInTheBox.com
 30th of Aug, 2011 by   Lisa A King 0 Votes
I picked out a short sundress for my (4) bridesmaids to wear for my outdoor wedding. BIG MISTAKE!!! One bridesmaids' paypal account was charged twice for two orders (she only had one) she called to cancel the extra order but the smart people at Light/Box canceled both orders. That's one down. Of the other 3 only 1 bridesmaid received her dress (the day before the wedding) even though all the women had ordered with in the first week of September and paid $49.00 shipping. I tried emailing the company and even had a "live chat" with someone named Peter at the company. Nothing ever happened, not with emails or chatting. So the night before my wedding, my bridesmaids were running around town trying to find matching outfits to wear. Thank God I didn't order my wedding dress from them!! So after everything, one bridesmaid ended up with a $100.00 sundress. Dress was $49 and the shipping was $49.83! Do your self a favor and never, EVER order from this site. If you go to their site and look at reviews, you will notice the reviews are ALL positive with the exact same spelling/punctuation mistakes! Any bride who thinks about ordering from Light/Box should find a comparable dress locally. THIS SITE IS A SCAM!!! DO NOT ORDER FROM THESE PEOPLE!
 30th of Oct, 2011 by   b1989 0 Votes
I ordered a dress for my cousin for my wedding off the site. When I learned it wasn't going to ship in time, I requested to cancel my order. Before it was shipped (a week before it was supposed to be shipped) they told me they would be charging me the price of the dress as a "handling" fee because it was specially made (a standard size! like no one will ever order that size again!?)

A horrible company. I would recommend to NOT buy from this stupid, ridiculous site!
 22nd of Nov, 2011 by   Wendell seaforth 0 Votes
RE-TICKET 1173875 In June of this yearI purchased an Atlantis-Android Smartphone.The phone came with 2 batteries and worked well until the batteries needed recharging. However, the batteries did not appear to recharge as the LCD remained blank. I purchased two new batteries from Lightin the box. again the new batteries worked well but like the previous 2 did not appear to recharge as the LCD remained blank. I could therefore not use the phone. I contacted Lightin The Box and agreed to return the phone. Lightin the box would then check the phone and if found defective would send me a replacement phone. 7 days were stipulated for my reply. I replied within the 7 day period and told Lightin the box I had posted the phone to the China address they supplied. I was to wait for a response regarding the phone. Subsequently, I received an email giving me 7 days to say if I was satisfied that the issue had been resolved. How could I provide an answer to that question when I was awaiting a response fro Lightin The Box. Lightin The Box then closed my ticket 1173875.- Why? Not only did I pay for the phone but I also returned the phone and am now left with a bad experience. will I receive another phone. I prefer this. If not I want my money back. Wendell Seaforth. Canada 416-335-5389
 26th of Apr, 2012 by   Ann Musticone 0 Votes
My granddaughter aged 19 in the last few weeks ordered a stole from Light in the Box for £22.00 paid an extra £9.00 for shipping. It was promised in time for a wedding, this was not the case and my granddaughter tried to cancel the goods, but was informed it was to late and they suggested when it arrived she try to sell it on. The goods arrived yesterday and the courier required an additional £17.00 from my granddaughter, who was unable to pay. She is very upset and has had to tell the couriers she cannot take delivery of these goods. I am so disgusted with Light in the Box I will certainly not be recommended them to anyone.
 25th of Mar, 2013 by   CrissiHylz 0 Votes
If Light In The Box is receiving so many complaints and if they genuinely care for their customers, why won't they place telephone numbers where they can be contacted? Thanks ALOT for the heads up! I was just about to order from them! That would probably been a BIG mistake!
 26th of Jun, 2013 by   Norma Redo 0 Votes

where is my order - Light In The Box

I have not received any news for the shipping of a lamp I purchase with the number 3575071
 16th of May, 2014 by   bgbb 0 Votes
Well I had my first experience with this site, Lite and the box
I ordered 2 dresses, 2 shoes.
I think they return policy suck
they wont or just a fraction of the price you brought merchandise will give some money back.
Oh and what about the s and h, duties, other aplicable taxes, and the items they send me were ok, but
one dress wasnt even hemmed the bottom.
The other liooked ok, and 2 sandals roo. They were all come in the plastic bag one was riped one was a ziploc bag. After all for cheap bad qualaty stuff, and my damaged dress I can not see the refound, because on the 4 pcs items, I paid all those fees, shipping and handeling ect... And duty for 36. Dollars, I just about sat down, cheap damaged clothes, with no rtn policy and made in china, bad quality, and I can not even get my money back.
I think it would be only fair to pay me back at least all the fees for the damaged goods.
I will tell everyone DO NOT SHOPE THERE IT'S A RIPP OFF COMPANY!!!

Foreclosure - Options to Pursue, Scams to Avoid