logo

Houshang Attar Jafari
drug money
2. (21 mins ago)
Oakley
No replacement parts for broken hinge
3. (37 mins ago)
Sanitation near Mastan baba Dargah

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Lifetime Fitness Complaints & Reviews - Stay away from LifeTime Fitness!

LifeTime Fitness Contacts & Informations

Lifetime Fitness

Posted:    Christopher O.

Stay away from LifeTime Fitness!

I'm assuming this is the normal way of submitting a complaint about a "Scam", and apologize if I'm doing so incorrectly.

My situation involves "Lifetime Fitness", - an "upscale", overpriced fitness facility chain with has locations throughout the United States.

Initially, (months ago), I reluctantly activated my membership in Austin, Texas. I use the word "reluctantly" because of the fact that a co-worker of mine, who was an active member and had recommended the club, was paying an overall lesser monthly fee that what I was quoted at the time of sign up. Guessing that he had signed up on some sort of "special", as many of the salesmen often call it, inquired about my new membership anyway.

During my initial conversation with the Lifetime salesman, I specifically asked about using more than one location, - primarily San Antonio and Austin. He informed me that there would be an additional monthly fee, but it would be possible. I elected not to has a "muti-location" account, because the "basic" monthly package's monthly fee would be in excess of $50. (!) (The higher monthly rates were justified by indoor water slides, overpriced sandwich shops, etc. - None of which I had a use for.) I also inquired about a couple of different scenarios. One of the scenarios would be the situation were if I relocated my residence to San Antonio. If I use the SA location, and the SA location alone, would my monthly rates increase? The salesman stated that they would not.

Fast forward to this month: After inquiring to not only their SA location, but Lifetime's Austin location as well, they have firmly stared that my monthly fees would increase, for USING SAN ANTONIO ONLY, not Austin. I've been to the SA gym, and it's the exact, same lay out. - Explain the rationale. I even suggested that I add a member to my membership, But they required more "processing fess" (money upfront) and over $100 per month!

Needless to say, I abruptly canceled my membership. I will contact all of my associates, -personal and professional, and urge them to do they same. I will also inform anyone who inquires, as I am often approached, to STAY AWAY FROM LIFETIME FITNESS.
Comments United States Sports & Recreation
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

4th of Dec, 2007 by   Joyce 0 Votes
I totally agree with you. When Lifetime Fitness acquired Northwest Athetic Club here in Minnesota, LTF pretty much monopolized the fitness center business here. They increased the membership prices and have this crazy schemes when it comes to membership types (fitness, sports, advantage, etc). It created confusions as to what centers you can go.

However, the only options left for Minnesotans are pretty much the YMCA and Bally's. So that sucks!
I wish there will be other fitness center options for us like the Golds
 9th of Jan, 2008 by   Adrenalyn 0 Votes
Wow! Lifetime Fitness is a scam! Well whatever you do, make sure you cancel by the 5th, or the charge you for 2 whole months if you don't! I've got my own issues with them, which you can read about in comments section of the 30 day cancellation policy thread. To anyone thinking about Lifetime Fitness, do yourselves a favor and run. Run as far as you can!!!! If you don't, be prepared to be screwed over by them. Lifetime Fitness is a rip off.
 12th of Jan, 2008 by   Chris +1 Votes
Expensive start up costs, expensive monthly charges, rude employees, snobbish clientèle make it not worth going. It cost over $200 dollars to start up but i was lucky to cancel within 30 days and got it back. There gyms are super nice with excellent facilities. If the employees were not snobbish then it would be a good gym to go to.
 25th of Mar, 2008 by   Jay +1 Votes
I just went into flagship and had a medical related "appoved" suspension on my 6 week account, Im a student. an Ashley who claimed to be a manager was absolutely absurd in her customer service and wouldn't me nor my two guests in the club. My parents who are long term members of the club are outraged and was in disbelief someone who treat a customer so low. They are canceling their memberships immediately.
 18th of Aug, 2008 by   Jason Burdette +1 Votes
Hi

I'm Jason Burdette I left Lifetime back in Febuary of 2007, to join La Fitness her in Evanston IL. I told Lifetime I was leaving I wanted to close the membership they said no problem made my last payment, I thought I was done guess again I had to pay two more times. My advise to anyone check out Lifetimefitness stay away. I'm happy at Lafitness.
 24th of Nov, 2008 by   dave +1 Votes
I AGREE LIFE FITNESS SUCKS THEY DONT CARE ABOUT THERE MEMEBRS THEY CANCCLED MY MEMBERSHIP SAYING I WAS HITTING ON THERE TRAINER THAT WAS A BUNCH OF CRAP DONT GO TO THERE GYM AND TELL EVERYONE ABOUT THEY SUCK BA..S
 8th of Feb, 2009 by   hyena_ass@yahoo.com +1 Votes
I am at the Lifetime fitness here in Warrenville. I've been a member for about 8 years. It's a joke. It's gotten really bad this year since they removed their initiation fees. Not sure what's worse--the whirlpool contaminated with children's poo, the equipment that never gets fixed--this is unacceptable at a gym this size, the kids running around all over the gym and basketball courts (it's romper room all over this stupid gym), the cluelessness of the staff, cramped locker rooms, ...
It's the waste of $60 a month..
 26th of Feb, 2009 by   preppyboyofIL +1 Votes
I was a member of Lifetime years ago and finally got disgusted with the outragous cost and the continual crowds at the Orland Park, IL location. I constantly felt like I was waiting for rides at Disneyland thanks to lines forming for all the weight lifting machines on a continual basis especially after New Years as all the New Years resolution idiots would join. I tried going there at all different times of the day and it was continually jammed, so that was my primary reason for dropping my membership.

I also agree that staff there was really rude as well as other members, but that just more or less goes with the territory when dealing with Orland Park (Rude people), so I didn't think to much of it. After being a member there for over 2 years and dealing with continual crowds, rude employees, kids continually crapping in the indoor pool, kids peeing in the hot tubs, and guys making messes in the showers and urinating on the floors in there making the showers smell like a sewer pipe, I finally had enough and dropped out. Lifetime did charge me a drop out fee though which I thought was lousy, but I'm at La Fitness now and never been happier!
 25th of Jun, 2009 by   Ken F +1 Votes
The LTF center just opened up a brand new facility in my hometown of Collierville Tn. So far, things are really great! I realize that since it just opened, there's a lot of focus on customer service, etc.. but I am confident they will keep up with everything needed. The facility is the nicest I have ever seen. I am paying $98 for my wife and I which isn't bad at all. I was paying $4 less than that at our former gym which was 1/2 the size and not near as nice.
 4th of Sep, 2009 by   semccar12 0 Votes
i had the exact same problem. they are a bunch of crooks. and of course they wont let you set up a cancelation in advance. bunch of crooked bastards. go to golds instead. maybe L|A.
 6th of Oct, 2009 by   eemo28 0 Votes
To hyen_ass@yahoo:

The statement you make in saying, "By the way, one of the trainers, I still haven't been able to figure out whether it's a dude or a lady..nasty!!" Although I TOTALLY agree with your dissatification with LTF 510%, I am not sure why not being able to distinguish between genders is necessary nasty.
 20th of Oct, 2009 by   nlynn +1 Votes
I am also upset with Lifetime! It is a scam. First I went in to question a bill. They automatically increase the bill without notice. Like they aren't expensive enough already. I told them this is ridiculous and I wanted to cancel. I was told there was a 30 day written notice I had to give. Unbelieveable. I wanted to talk to a manager and of course they are never available. The customer service there is terrible. They keep charging my account and I don't go there anymore! I keep calling and they put me on hold. They are avoiding me. This company needs to get sued.
 29th of Jan, 2010 by   MICHAEL STADNICK 0 Votes
It will all catch up with LIFETIME FITNESS. I think it is already, I have had two mailers "$0 to join". They don't care how it is ran! It is the numbers!
 11th of Mar, 2010 by   TECHENGINE +1 Votes
Definitely a greedy company! I worked for them briefly and now it seems they are trying to make me wait for my final pay. All of a sudden, no one answers my emails or phone calls. I assure you that this is a game they don't want to play with me!

AW
 25th of Mar, 2010 by   ?!?!?!121 +2 Votes
These clubs has no membership caps, the more the "merrier". The equipment is dirty. In over 2 years I have never seen any weight machines getting cleaned, other than perhaps some superficial vacuuming. Some machines even smell foul. The "personal trainers" are a total joke, with a God's gift to the human race mentality. I witnessed on occasion harassment, insults and even verbal threats directed at members. The facilities are overrun by out-of-control teenagers and the machines and free weights are limited with long aggravating waiting times. Break-ins and vandalism are often reported in the parking lot. An easy hit I guess?? I once asked the sales agent if I could have a weekend pass for a visiting friend. OMG, may lightning have rather struck me down. For 10 mins I had to listen how I was trying to abuse "the system" and there are "no freebies" However, he did offer me a "great deal" if my friend wanted to join. Why I waited so long before canceling my membership I don't know. Perhaps I'm a sucker for punishment...you decide for yourself.
 30th of Mar, 2010 by   extremal 0 Votes
Yup, Life Time Fitness sucks (referring to Warrenville location).

I used to be a member for 2+ years, then moved to another place and returned for a week, so decided to use an offer from their web site for a free week membership. My fault I was honest with them that I am not based there, and my fault I just told them that if I not gonna get the free week, I can just become a member and then cancel the membership. Was suggested to buy 2 weeks for 80$, and then a higher level manager increased it to 100$.

In the end they kicked me out - I pissed off a manager and his boss (I was polite, but demanding).
The service is extremely rude - they do not want customers who might end up not joining the gym.

The fitness center is nice, lots of equipment etc, but they almost killed their reputation for me...

So... DO NOT JOIN!! They want your money and they don't care about you as a customer...
 7th of Apr, 2010 by   imchaiwala +1 Votes
been a customer for 6 years, when i need to cancel they're making me show up in person or send a certified letter and charging me 30 days!!! what the hell! the gym is nice, the service sucks! i just called corporate - they told me tough luck!
 7th of Apr, 2010 by   WOLFE2 +1 Votes
The management at lifetime sucks! They suspend accounts, cancel accounts for minor things like complaining yet when you go to cancel your membership they say wait 30 days and jump through these hooops! The best way to cancel your membership is to YELL F**K YOU at the manager and watch how fast your canceled.

Check out rateitall for more "0" ratings

30th of Apr, 2010 by   madmardigan 0 Votes
All gyms suck management wise, and lifetime fitness isn't much better because everything from staff abuse to member abuse goes on in their facilities under the corporate stock culture logo LTM. To everybody who's gotten a membership, and to everyone's who canceled, their CEO Bahram Akradi is as crooked as they come.

All gyms do that 30 day thing and stuff. I think they consider themselves as leasing gym equipment, and that you're providing their financing so they're unwilling to make it less than difficult for you to leave, and that's why the majority have you sign contracts and falsely claim trial memberships, but in actuality, it's just a discount.

But back to Bahram Akradi. Without giving anything away, I'll just say he's a short little guy with a napoleon complex, and it makes it much worse that he's from a different culture. So, you see, I was raised here in the United States, so I don't go around blaming people for my problems like this guy does, but seeing as how attrition is the only governing factor and nobody cares how they're treated because at most on a good day they can keep their jobs, and this is where the disturbing factors come in because he just runs off does anything he wants.

It's a complex, and not a very good one, because everyone wants to be somewhere else, and I mean let's face it, wouldn't everyone rather have their own equipment and go home rather than go through all this stuff?

Without making a longer story short, I was standing right next to the guy, and the following time shortly there after all their employees mysteriously started harassing me and made me feel like I was being the blunt of a joke, so instead of actually fighting for my rights and demanding things like something should be done, the harassment ensued and in the following months thereafter a girl was found dead in one of their fancy dancy olympic sized swimming pools because of this. Soon there after I had to cancel my membership, since nobody there has a conscious and insists on covering it up. (Centreville, Va ;p)

Now, I'm not saying we're perfect human beings, and everyone should just magically get along and agree, but this guy is a con artist and doesn't accept responsibility for the way his gyms (I use the term his losely because it's infact a public corporation and not a private one) are run.

He's got that little temper of a short little colored man from a different country thing going on and has really no reason to be mad. This guys is one weird dude who can't accept the facts of life, who can't handle his job, and money grubs his shareholding stock all the way to the market. He's like a plague, and everybody catches a disease when they're around him.
 5th of May, 2010 by   JimmyR 0 Votes
They're just denigrating me (James Russell) to reduce member attrition in Centreville Virginia, because I had vitiligo and some other things, but the joke's on them. I'm the reason why they act like that and they take no responsibility and raise membership prices claiming their "Value". Perhaps you can inquire about their "members' point of view" so they can' give you some "color" about their "point of view".

Lifetime Fitness is a scam! They're con artists and can kiss my "white" ass!

Sunscreen Labels May Give False Sense of Safety