logo

Bait and switch

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Liberty Tax Service, Central Florida, Florida Complaints & Reviews - Bad business practices

Liberty Tax Service Contacts & Informations

Liberty Tax Service

Posted:    Adam

Bad business practices

Liberty Tax
Central Florida, Florida
libertytax.com
I had my taxes done in Florida and they too screwd them up. I was told if I didn't like it, too bad. I threaten the manager to call the main office in Va and he said that they wont do anything. Well he was right Liberty Tax Services in Va Beach, Va does not care about their customers. Liberty Tax in Florida messed my taxes up so bad I had to pay a fine to the IRS (US Government mafia). Is that justice or what. I would advise anyone wanting you taxes done right, don't use any Liberty Txes Services at all, or any where. Just look their profile up with all of the customer and employee complaints.
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Dec, 2008 by   Adam +1 Votes
Yes they dont know how to do taxes. They are only seasonal part time temp workers. They take less than a 2 week course.
I would watch all the Liberty Tax Services in the Central Florida Area. Orlando, Melbourne, Palm Bay Areas. Check out their business practices. They really don't have a good record on good customer service or anything.
 29th of Jan, 2009 by   Matha 0 Votes
They dont know how to do taxesss!!! Bad Customer service
 5th of Feb, 2009 by   astyles 0 Votes
I hate liberty tax, , , , , dont ever, ever, goto the one in calumet city, Il...they tried to charge me $409.00 for a single, head of household, one child no realestate...very simple claim...I complained and they took $200.00 off...but not before this mexican ghetto girl named Roxanne Gomez...was rude talking loud ...and kept saying loud to me "you should have never signed it"...Completely unproffesional and talking loud...I had to go off on her ...I'm like dont talk over me you $2.00 an hour b*#ch. They had to drag the wild child to the back because she wanted to fight me...But really that wasnt the safest route for her to take. Being that i have to pray not to kick a b&*ch butt...Point is when i go to handle my business, I dont expect to deal with trashy employees...if i want to fight i will go the the hood and stand on a corner, ...
 11th of Mar, 2009 by   bUBBA 0 Votes
This company is nothing but a bunch of incompetant block heads. Totally screwed up my taxes, and not only that but then overcharged me. What a bunch of losers. DO NOT TAKE YOUR TAXES TO THESE IDIOTS!
 30th of Mar, 2009 by   Deb -1 Votes
I disagree, I have been using Liberty Tax for 2 years now in Virginia and have been extremely happy with the service.
 22nd of Apr, 2009 by   Susan -1 Votes
I disagree with the comments about bad service. I have worked for a liberty tax franchise and I assure you most preparers take more than a two week course before they are allowed to work with clients. Additionally, they must pass a test in order to stay employed. The certification test has levels of diffuculty. Many customers do not give the preparer the correct information. When their taxes are rejected by the IRS and the customer is contacted they have to explain why they claimed a child that has already been claimed by another family member or why they claimed a child that they are not really supporting so that they could receive EIC. When the truth comes out the customers are angry that they are not getting ALL THE MONEY THEY EVER PAID IN TAXES BACK and they blame it on the person preparing their taxes. Often, the preparers cannot get intouch with the customer to tell them something has gone wrong. People don't answer their phone messages, they give the wrong phone numbers or just don't care enough to communicate properly about their tax business. Some people give erroneous information on a schedule C. They state amounts for home businesses that are ficticous. When the IRS catches them in an audit the customer says that the preparer put the numbers in their and they didn't know about it. The customer usually has to pay fines at that point. If a mistake is the fault of the franchise owner's preparer that owner usually pays the IRS fine, it is in the Liberty Tax Guarantee under Accuracy. I have first had experience with many of these problems that customers inevitably blame on preparers.

I admit that from time to time a preparer does make a mistake on a tax return and it somehow gets overlooked while being checked and processed to go to IRS. IHowever, it has been my experience that a customer in that situation is usually given a free return which takes bonus money out of the preparers pocket as well as money from the franchise owner.

Liberty Tax is not in business to mess up your taxes. I know they try very hard to give good customer services and out of the thousands of returns they do every year very few people are dissatisfied. It is unfortunate that a few very vocal customers who have likely given bad information to a preparer to begin with are allowed to denigrate a good business. If you indeed had a problem tell us how it came about, give us the details and let us judge for ourselves instead of tell us Liberty Tax has done a bad job. How did they do a bad job?
 27th of Jun, 2009 by   Real American 0 Votes
All one has to do is analyze the complainer's story. First of all, she has very poor grammer (ignorant). Then, she tries to cause the reader to believe that she was attempting to correct a problem by provoking the preparer. Next, she blames the preparer and Liberty Tax for a mistake that the IRS believed was caused by her. If Liberty Tax made the mistake, then the IRS would be conducting an investigation, and if found at fault, Liberty Tax would have to pay all of the fines and refund the preparation fee. The complainer is one of those people who belongs on the Jerry Springer Show. She needs to go to school to learn how to properly write. I guess she is so naive that she believes she can convince an educated and experienced person to believe that, although she is ignorant, the educated preparer, the owner of Liberty Tax, and the IRS are not as smart as she believes herself to be. Well, that is what this world is fast becoming. Yes, it is being over run with ignorant loud mouths who can't use proper grammer, drive, keep their illegitimate children under control, and or pay their bills. Everybody owes them. They should live for free on the backs of decent people. I only wish that the IRS would audit her and that she could serve time. Then, maybe she could attain a GED while in prison. At least, she would be off the highways where she most likely wreaks havoc upon anyone who happens to be near her.
 7th of Jul, 2009 by   Susan 0 Votes
I agree with everything that Real American has stated. Many people now-a-days have to have someone to blame instead of taking responsibility for what they have done. Too many AMERICANS (those here legally and illegally) feel that the government owes them a living and all they have to do is sit back while enjoying the "FREE RIDE". Isn't it time that we take a look at our enabling ways and start WORKING to foster a productive self-sufficient society.
 27th of Oct, 2009 by   Cosmic Zamboni -1 Votes
Every Liberty franchisee has a contract with the corporate office that says they will over a money back guarantee to anyone for any reason. When someone calls the corporate office, there is a whole tracking system that requires the franchisee to report back to them how they went about resolving a customer's problem. So what you have said does not sound truthful to me, nowing exactly how the company operates in this regard. I also cannot imagine anyone with their own business telling a customer "if you don't like it too bad". That is just nonsense. Liberty is holding a ten week course to train preparers right now, just like H&R Block. They offer exactly the same kind of training classes that Block does. How else could they grow to 3000 offices? Come on, folks.

Anyone unhappy with any Liberty office can call the corporate office at 1-800-790-3863 and they WILL address your problem.
 24th of Nov, 2009 by   Carla M -1 Votes
I totally agree with Cosmic, Susan and Real American, most of the users that are complaining sounds really ignorant. If you are going to complain about someone filling your taxes incorrectly do something about it, like taking the time and attending a tax class for yourself. I felt as if H&R Block filed my taxes incorrectly but I was wrong. I didn't know how the IRS really worked. If you don't know, how could you say it was wrong. The thing about the charging fees, all tax placed I've been to stated before filing my taxes, if I didn't like the outcome or felt as if something was wrong I didn't have to go through with it. So, if you feels as if they are being overcharged you could tell them you don't want to go through with it. Don't get me wrong I think that the worker was very unprofessional and she could have handled the situation better, there is no excuse for that. If I was the boss she would have been fired on the spot. Final advise, I learned something in the Military, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER mess with people who handles your food, money, medical records and/or have your SSN. THINK ABOUT IT next time.
 10th of Dec, 2009 by   concernedamerican12 0 Votes
I agree because of the following: A Tax Service be it H&R Block, Liberty or Jackson Hewitt all abuse taxpayers by charging excessive fees and interest rates on Refund Anticipation Loans. It's shameful that all of these businesses have to charge so much in a narrow time window to sustain themselves throughout the year. It is absolutely not just nor fare to charge people $300-500 per return that includes no more than a W-2 and maybe a 1099, basically a simple return. I work for a CPA firm and some of our clients take the better part of a week's worth of work. Believe it or not, but our services and fees as educated professionals with college degrees and professional designations don't come close to how much Tax Service businesses charge per half hour of work on a simple return. Tax Service businesses are basically a bunch of scam artists that feed on the masses with no empathy or remorse. What's worse is that taxpayers think their refund is a freebie rather than being owed to them. Hence they're willing to part with a good chunk of it as long as they get it faster. It's free money after all, right? Obviously the people disagreeing with the above complaints are affiliated with the above mentioned business for them to vehemently defend it. Shame Shame Shame!!! where is your humanity people praying on the low income and disadvantaged for profit.
I charge a nominal fee and some times do it pro bono for a simple return.
 20th of Dec, 2009 by   Sam 2009 -1 Votes
Liberty Tax service gives out more than 200 free tax returns per office. I checked with my local office and they are required to hire people who pass level one exam besides completing the state mendated 60 hours of education. I disagree the same is true in California.
 4th of Dec, 2010 by   jenniferbrown 0 Votes
i have a question and i hope someone could answer it for me. last year i did my tax at liberty and the girl who did my tax mess up on mine and my husband for mine she did"nt put the right amount that i made that year, and for my husband she put too much money on his now there saying we have to pay $680.00 because of the mess up. so my question is would i have to pay that back or would it be liberty?
 6th of Dec, 2010 by   justmeNC 0 Votes
I would like to state the fees you pay are pre determined, has nothing to do with the prepayer and also the interest fees for RALs and such ARE BANK FEES NOT LIBERTY. You think the bank is gonna give you your money earlier for free? If you were not so impatient you would not have to pay all that.
 9th of Feb, 2011 by   Cathyhig +1 Votes
Don't go to these scam artist tax services. They overcharge!
Use the free IRS tax service if you have gross income under $57, 000. Or use tax software such as turbotax, which is 100% accurate as long as you input the correct tax info. Just use last year's return to guide you if your financial situation hasn't changed very much.
 10th of Feb, 2011 by   speakupseattle +1 Votes
Liberty Tax Seattle EXTREMELY overcharges! And, it seems, they treat their employees like garbage. Just before I left after finding out how much these fools charge (compared to how much work they actually do) I overheard whom I can only assume to be a manager snap at an employee for an incredibly ridiculous reason, then continue to stay very obviously angry. I felt so bad for the poor underling who did nothing wrong. Word of advice for whoever is in charge- treat your employees with a little more respect! We, the customers, see and hear more than you think. And I, for one, do not want my taxes prepared by an angry jerk who takes pride in ripping people off. Good thing a friend told me about Turbotax.com, which ended up being free and super simple. No need for your services, Liberty Tax, or your big stinky black dog that growled at me when I walked in.
 5th of Oct, 2011 by   Smarty Pants O' Toole 0 Votes
Jesus, people!

GRAMMAR has an "A, " not an "E." MANDATED is not "MENDATED."

I is always capitalized, and commas may be needed from time to time.

Let us not even approach the other multitudes of grammatical nonsense featured above.

If you morons cannot communicate, it is no wonder that your tax experience did not suit you: You don't understand English!
 9th of Apr, 2012 by   Derik P. 0 Votes
To begin with, they put my W2's in twice, called back two weeks later and told me that they had fixed it and needed a signature. The outrageous fee was also supposed to be taken directly out of my return, even according to all the paperwork they printed off for me. 8 weeks later still no taxes, so we called them up and they said they haven't done anything because we haven't paid them. LIBERTY TAX IN KENAI AND SOLDOTNA ALASKA SUCKS. Never again will I go there, and I will blast this all over the place, with newspaper articles, and flyers. $346.52 for married filing jointly with an injured spouse form? All the other places I looked at AFTER we had taxes done was only charging a quarter of the price. LIBERTY TAX IS A RIPOFF
 28th of Mar, 2013 by   Luperubio 0 Votes
I am a Liberty Tax owner and I would like to apologize to those that had bad experience with Liberty. I do have many satisfied customers and a few that are disatisfied. Humans do errors. Liberty does have a great system when is followed properly.
 9th of Jun, 2013 by   CDAllen 0 Votes
I have worked at a Liberty Tax Service in Kansas City, MO. The majority of my customers were lower income and were the products of an inner-city public school system. In more cases than not, it does not matter how much time I dedicated to explaining the process to them. Most of my customer were just too distracted by their large anticipated refunds to care to read anything they were signing. Notwithstanding, I grew tired of having to pull excuses out of thin air to rationalize fees that approached $600 for a returns that I completed in twelve minutes. Almost none of the returns were checked for even typographical accuracy much less basic compliance with the tax code. When I reviewed returns, I found egregious errors such as a W-2 from a previous year being keyed into the current year, constant misspelling of names that prevented our customers from cashing or depositing their refund check, wrong addresses which prevented the IRS for mailing notices to our customers, and, in some cases, returns that were mangled. We offered a $50 cash rebate in the form of green back cash. Unless the customer arrived before 1:00 PM, we were probably out of cash. Nothing is more pleasant than dealing with people we owe cash to.
They majority of employees I worked with had to pay $99 to take a "free" tax course before becoming employees. The $99 text book they received was based on Publication 17, a publication the IRS freely distributes. The over all instruction is sub par at best, and is just an additional revenue stream at worst. The prevailing wage for a McDonald's employee in north east Kansas is $8 with paid training. It was a nightmare to attract any qualified employees who were willing to pay $99 and endure twenty to forty hours of unpaid training just to assume a seasonal job that pays a McDonald's wage. All managers were paid poorly, and many of the stores owned by this franchisee did not have managers at all. In the absence of managers, simple problems could not be fixed.
In the case of the particular franchise I worked for, the Kansas Department of Revenue filed a tax warrant against the owner for unpaid taxes. If this particular owner does not pay his taxes, then it is really telling how well the Liberty Tax Service corporation screens its potential franchisees. For readers who wish to verify my statements, research court cases for evictions of Liberty Tax Service locations in Johnson County, Kansas and you will find two franchises. One of the evictions lists the corporate name of the franchisee in question. Research court cases for that corporation, and you will find four or more court cases with the owner's name. Research court cases against that owner, and you will find the tax warrant.

How a New Health Reform Will Affect You