logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Columbia Asia Hospital (Malaysia-Bukit Rimau)
Lousy Staff / Doctor Services
2. (43 mins ago)
tnbillinfo INTERNET and TNW.BILL.COM VALETTa
Unauthorised amounts being billed to my account
3. (46 mins ago)

overcharge & no fee disclosure

liberty tax service
817 pico blvd , Santa Monica Ca
Phone: 310 581 6600
I was quoted a price of $89 for my tax preparation before any paperwork was started and was told that I didn't have to pay until my refund arrived. My taxes were prepared on January 27, 2010 and my refund was supposed to be in the Liberty Tax office by February 5, 2010. There was no mention of any other fees durring my business transaction. When my tax preparation was done, I turned to leave and I was call over to the desk again and was given 10 five-dollar bills. I asked what the $50 was for and was told it was a promotion so that I would tell my friends and family about Liberty Tax. It was made very clear by the representative that this $50 was not, in any way, related to my refund or fees. It was free and clear. On the 19th of February I received a statement from Republic Bank showing that $289 was deducted for preparation fees, another $20 for transmitter fees, and another $29.95 for refund administration fees. A total of $249.95 over what I was quoted initially. A person who identified herself as Wendy Cohen, the district manager said she would send me a check for $50 to resolve the issue. That was $199.95 short of what was taken from my check, unauthorized. I declined the $50 check and requested the full amount. I was told that there was nothing she (Wendy) could do beyond that. Upon calling Liberty Tax headquarters, I learned that Wendy Cohen is not the district manager, she is only the manager. I feel decieved by Liberty Tax and its agents and I feel that I was intentionally mislead and robbed of money due to me from the government. I would like the full amount beyond the $89 I was quoted for preparation fees, the full amount being $249.95.
Comments United States Tax Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Mar, 2010 by   mrs lee 0 Votes
i also used liberty tax services this year(2010), i was stunned when i went over my tax papers to learn that liberty tax charged me $413.95 for doing my taxes i spoke with the representative that prepared my taxes and she told me also about all kinds of hidden fees and bank fees and also told me she'll prepare my taxes for free next year(lol)as if im going back...well this isnt the last that liberty tax has heard of me, someone has to find out how a company can get away with such overcharge.
 11th of Mar, 2010 by   Annette2 0 Votes
Try a charge of $840.00
 11th of Mar, 2010 by   Annette2 0 Votes
In GA ...an enormous fee with no breakdown or explanation of how they came up with this figure.

There was no other explanation to prove they are not charging a fee based on the amount of your return.
 13th of Mar, 2010 by   velle08 0 Votes
yes we wll need to get together and really sue liberty tax service they are making millions offof people who dont even have much.they charged me and my husband over 1500 i have already filed my case in court. we cant let them get away with this, email me at velle0807@yahoo to file a civil case against this company to shut them down plssss!!!
 15th of Mar, 2010 by   Tito Amin +1 Votes
I had the same thing in Torrence Ca,

They are scam.

Let's do something.
 20th of Mar, 2010 by   StephanieP1981 +1 Votes
I currently live in Virginia Beach, VA and decided to try Liberty Tax after getting frustrated doing my taxes on my own online. The individual who prepared my taxes did not inform me of any rates, and the only thing he filed were my W-2's, and Student Loans. It took all of 15 min and when he was finished he said I owed him $350.00. I thought he was joking and asked him what the fees were for. He blamed it on the economy and stated, "the price of everything is going up." I walked out of there frustrated beyond belief and feeling ripped off. I work full time and am also a graduate student and cannot afford to be throwing money around. Especially when one can go online and get taxes done for free. I reported this to the Better Business Bureau as I feel this is my only option. I feel it was beyond unethical for him not to disclose their rates before the session and to charge $350.00 for 15 min of simple work.
I do not know what you are planning to do about this, however if you are putting together a list of complaints feel free to contact me because this is ridicious.

Thanks, Stephanie
 2nd of Apr, 2010 by   RAVING FAN -1 Votes
befor you get all sue happy please check your paperwork for the truth in lending and ALL the paperwork YOU signed.. i work for liberty and i do make sure that i go over ALL costs and break downs of fees (we charge by the form) so the more forms you use the more it is going to cost..also remember it was free for you to sit in that chair and get an estimate..it was all free...free for you to take your w-2's 1099's and your SSA and leave...until you signed the paperwork...you may think it was unethical for your prep not to disclose the price of $350 but i am thinkin you were more interested in getting that huge refund that i would guess would make up 1/3 of your yearly wage and how fast you could get the check..ohh and then look for a check cashing company to cash it for even more then you paid to get the check...so my question is what were you thinking as you were signing all the paperwork?? obviously not how much taxpayers money was being spent so you could get thousands of dollars back...that you are told you are entitled to for having dependents... while other T/P's oew money cuz they made too much or had no dependents so you can enjoy a late christmas...yes professional tax prep fees are high..do it free on the internet. or go to the irs and file for free and pray they do it right..i am going to mexico..heard there might be work there
 3rd of Apr, 2010 by   ronald vincent 0 Votes
What happens is this, Liberty Tax doesn't disclose their bank fees when your taxes are prepared. There's a form that they have you sign towards the end of the service transaction that reads "RAL IS A LOAN" across it & there is a list of items for you to check off. The items are options for a "Refund Anticipation Loan", options to go through Liberty's bank (Republic Bank) and pay 49.95 in fees for not paying up front for the tax preparation fees. When you ask about the form before signing, they tell you its just proceedure and you don't have to check off any boxes if you don't want these options but you do have to sign it. THE OPTION BOXES ARE MARKED IN WITH AN X WHEN YOU LEAVE ! ITS LIKKE SIGNING A BLANK CHECK ! They quote you a price on the tax preparation fee and you sign for what you think it is but THE FEE DISCLOSURE FORM IS ALTERED WHEN YOU LEAVE ! Instead of the $ 89 I signed to, it became $289. See the gap between the $ sign and the 89? It was filled in with a 2 and MAGIC! $ 89 becomes $289 and the form is signed already. Its not easy to disprove the form because you're not given a reciept or copy of forms until you pick up your income tax refund check. I asked for a reciept and copy of forms but they tell you they can't give you one there and then. LIBERTY TAX IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT FRAUDULENT SCHEME. STAY AWAY!!! What happens is this, Liberty Tax doesn't disclose their bank fees when your taxes are prepared. There's a form that they have you sign towards the end of the service transaction that reads "RAL IS A LOAN" across it & there is a list of items for you to check off. The items are options for a "Refund Anticipation Loan", options to go through Liberty's bank (Republic Bank) and pay 49.95 in fees for not paying up front for the tax preparation fees. When you ask about the form before signing, they tell you its just proceedure and you don't have to check off any boxes if you don't want these options but you do have to sign it. THE OPTION BOXES ARE MARKED IN WITH AN X WHEN YOU LEAVE ! ITS LIKKE SIGNING A BLANK CHECK ! They quote you a price on the tax preparation fee and you sign for what you think it is but THE FEE DISCLOSURE FORM IS ALTERED WHEN YOU LEAVE ! Instead of the $ 89 I signed to, it became $289. See the gap between the $ sign and the 89? It was filled in with a 2 and MAGIC! $ 89 becomes $289 and the form is signed already. Its not easy to disprove the form because you're not given a reciept or copy of forms until you pick up your income tax refund check. I asked for a reciept and copy of forms but they tell you they can't give you one there and then. LIBERTY TAX IS A WELL THOUGHT OUT FRAUDULENT SCHEME. STAY AWAY!!!
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   Liberty Tax Customer Care -1 Votes
We appreciate you reaching out to us via http://www.complaintsboard.com. Liberty Tax Service makes customer service our priority which is why we offer a satisfaction guarantee. Please email us directly at customercare@libtax.com and we'll be happy to investigate your complaint. In your email please include your name, your phone number, and the office location (street, city and state). We will then be able to contact you directly to try and resolve this matter.

Kind regards,
Liberty Tax Customer Care
 6th of Apr, 2011 by   cgibbens123 0 Votes
I went there yesterday and was charged $600 to sit there for 3 hours why they tried to figure out how to do my taxes. I felt that they really did not know how to do my taxes as stock options were involved. I paid half of this last year at H&R block who did my taxes with stock options. I was told that the extra form caused my taxe return cost to be so high. They did not give me a copy of my contract that I signed and the initial price that I saw was no where near what the bill came to be. I could not see the guys screen, but it felt like he was just coming up with some price.

STAY Away

I plan on posting on every site to make sure people do not go here
 7th of Apr, 2011 by   cgibbens123 +1 Votes
File a complaint with

Internal Revenue Service
Office of Professional Responsibility
Attn: SE:OPR – Room 7238/IR
1111 Constitution Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20224

Or by facsimile at 202-622-2207

and the BBB about this location I have filed several complaints about them
 11th of Apr, 2011 by   1hangon 0 Votes
I trusted Liberty Tax, gave them all the information (did not hide anything), they charged me plenty of $$$ for nothing.
Here is the complaint...I GOT AUDITED FROM THE IRS FROM THERE NEGLIGENCE.
The IRS is crawling all over my my retail business, including my personal business.
You would be better off to make up numbers and send in your return yourself.
Liberty Tax made up there own figures that did not add up or make sense to the IRS and to my CPA.
There mistakes are costing me thousands for hiring a "real" CPA and a Lawyer.
They do not represent any client in an audit..YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN..
I WANT TO SUE THEM FOR DAMAGES...(Gross) Negligence or Malpractice...
Let's do a class action law suit..I am in...
WARNING: If you enjoy being audited by the IRS then allow Liberty Tax to prepare your returns.
 11th of Apr, 2011 by   cgibbens123 0 Votes
When I was there a guy came in pissed off because they did not send his paperwork to the IRS and he was being audited. The lady at the location on Pico told him that there as nothing that they could do and he should call the manager at the location. I should have gotten up and walk out at that point. I am all for a class action law suit. Here is a class action suite against them

15th of Apr, 2011 by   cgibbens123 0 Votes
Contact the BBB about them and file a complaint

Freda Ware
Conciliations Coordinator
Better Business Bureau of Greater Hampton Roads
586 Virginian Drive
Norfolk, VA 23505
Phone (757) 531-9400
Fax (757) 531-1388

Also you might want to go to this lawyer

www.BBB.org
 6th of Jan, 2012 by   jwalt0421 0 Votes
H&R Block does not only a Free Second Look at your tax returns for the past 3 years, regardless of where they were done, but also they have audit assistance at year-round locations regardless of where you had the taxes done. If you chose to file the current year with them, they also have a guarantee that they will pay any penalties and interest should the IRS disagree with anything they filed on your behalf.
 21st of Jan, 2012 by   R.Boles 0 Votes
I filed with Liberty tax service about a week ago, paid the $296 preparation fee which I knew up front would be expensive and another $69 to have the RAL within 24-48 hours "once the IRS approves the filing." Well, the IRS supposedly approved on the 17th, I have yet to see the RAL or get any explanation except "its a glitch in the bank processing." Not only was I encountered with poor customer service to include lack of responsiveness, no anticipated new date and/or compensation via return of at least the $69 fee, I have been given the run around and told "if you push the bank they will just take longer." I usually do my own taxes, b/c I knew these tax preparation companies are costly, but this is the first year I decided to do the RAL (rapid anticipation loan). It is FALSE ADVERTISEMENT!! Liberty tax uses these cons just to solicit the poor and then gives you the run around when they can't deliver. I have since called the corporate office in which they report they will contact me within 24 hours to resolve my complaint and refund my tax preparation fees. I am highly disappointed and will NEVER use this company again.
 18th of Dec, 2012 by   Jennifer Fletcher 0 Votes
So here is my issues I have used them for never really had a problem as far as I could see. Until now or as of our taxes of 2011. When my bf or common law partner as of July 2011, went in there last year to file common law they told us we did not have to for we were not together for a year or so advised us to wait till this year. Well now that we have filed common law they they are going back to 2010 and making me pay back 6, 600 and some odd dollars for baby bonus all because we did not file as common law last, on the advise of liberty tax. Never again will I go there.
 21st of Feb, 2013 by   Sharima 0 Votes
THEY GOT ME FOR $811...IN NYC... WE CAN'T LET THEM GET AWAY... THEY SAID $350 WAS THE FEE...
 8th of Apr, 2013 by   Whatdoido 0 Votes
I did my taxes with liberty taxes they took my state check of 545$ for preperation fees the lady pricila brown filled my taxes wrong then had the nerve to argue with me like im wrong then on top of that im being audited becuase she didnt do my return wright and saying I cannot recieve my 545$ back ? What do I do?
 24th of May, 2013 by   mistydawn33 0 Votes
I filed with liberty for years always charging me crazy rates $400 or more just to prepare my taxes.Now i have been auited saying i claimed too much on EIC .That was here mess up and mistake now i owe over $1500.00 FOR THERE MISTAKE

Rental Cars: 5 Tips for a Better Deal