logo

GLD Myscore
Unauthorized charges / false advertising
4. (24 mins ago)
BeBodySmart/Shahzad Paul Ph.D.
order has still be sent...
5. (26 mins ago)

Lia Sophia
Durham, North Carolina
Phone: 1-800-959-3324
www.liasophia.com
I received a ring for my birthday. I of course did not have receive. I found out who sold it and tried for weeks to get her to confirm purchase. She never answered my requests and then told Lia Sophia she could not fine. I have a ring with coating coming off - look awful.

PLEASE - do not buy their product - they don't hold up! and they charge way too much from what I can tell for a terrible product. Their customer service 800-959-3324,

Comments United States Jewelry & Watches
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

19th of Jul, 2008 by   Ann -1 Votes
I don't know why your having so much trouble getting in touch with an advisor. Most of us are very friendly and will do our best to help you. lia sophia does have a life time replacement guarentee, but you do have to have a proof of purchase - namely the receipt. Our jewelry rarely has problems like your describing and when it does that's what the guarentee is for. Our prices are very resonable for the product and the products are good quality. Please don't bash our company for one bad expereience. Each advisor is different, but it's highly unusual to find one that won't assist you in return/replacement procedures. see our site to locate a different advisor, they won't have copies of your receipt, but they will most likely be willing to talk to you and help get a replacement to the extent they can.
 20th of Aug, 2008 by   Kathryn Beeny 0 Votes
Lia Sophia has an unconditional Lifetime Replacement Guarantee that is available to all customers of their products regardless of the situation. In order for the guarantee to be honored you must have the original white receipt that was shipped with the jewelry to the hostess. If you don't have the original receipt you can go online to their website www.liasophia.com and click on the Our Guarantee button and it will explain the return/exchange process and you can download a Return/Exchange form. The form is simple to fill out however you must have your original order # if you don't have the receipt. This is the only way you order can be looked up and processed by customer service and is essentially your "proof of purchase".

While I can understand your frustrations, the fault lies with the hostess that received the jewelry. It is up to her to make sure the white receipt is put in the bag with the jewelry before it is delivered to her guests. If you can't get hold of the hostess then you can try to reach the Advisor who did the show and she should have the order # on file and can assist you. While each Advisor is an Independent Contractor with the company, the majority of us work very hard to take care of our customers and represent the company in a positive light.

Lia Sophia makes beautiful jewelry and has the best guarantee in the industry. However, there are guidelines and rules that must be followed so the company is protected. You are always welcome to contact Lia Sophia Customer Service and explain your situation and see if there is someone who can advise you further if you can't resolve the missing receipt issue with the hostess and/or advisor.
 10th of Sep, 2008 by   missy 0 Votes
Well, I'm with original poster...never again.
I liked their jewelry, (even though it's very overpriced for mass produced not real silver or gold) but the customer service is horrible!!

My friend had a party in June. I booked to host a party in July and paid for my 'hostess' gift', advisor never contacted me or my friend. We could not get ahold of her to see if she ordered, where were the invites for my party. A few days after my party we finally got the items.
All, except mine.
I wrote Lia Sophia, last I heard was my emails were forwarded to 'proper areas' and once they got in contact with the advisor, i "should" recieve contact then. Oh, and she said to allow more time.

Well, it's been since July, it's that hard to locate her and my order? I don't have her contact info, and if you look up advisors in my area she's not listed.

What I don't get, items were ordered, why not mine? I didn't get a reciept or anything.
3 other parties were booked off that one, so I'm sure advisor is reaping the benefits of that too!

So, it's not just the advisor, it's Lia Sophia also. They can't just say, from the order number I gave from my mother's reciept...oh I see you paid for this, well we'll send the item and we'll deal with the advisor. Why should I be out money and/or item?

Anyone knows who I can talk to, feel free to email me.

I'm a self representing artist and I go beyond if I make a mistake, I'd never be able to let an order go so long like this.
 29th of Sep, 2008 by   maria 0 Votes
I also bought a lia sophia ring (echo) and a clear coat came off and the gold plating came off after wearing it for 1 week. Is this normal?
 6th of Oct, 2008 by   Danarah -1 Votes
I ordered about $400 worth of this crap and sorry to say it it horrible! The catalogs make a lot of the pieces look much better than they really are. The gold pieces are a joke and could not look faker. For $130 I expected the piece to somewhat look real.My finger have ALREADY turned green from the rings which I have only had for one week. I am better off buying rings at Charlotte Russ at the price of 2 for $8. I do own REAL jewelry and know how to care for it, this is just ridiculous. They get you to buy it by saying how great it is and it is lifetime guaranteed. Well it better be for the high prices they charge. I payed for $52 dollars for a ring that has turned my finger green in less than a week! Is this common with Lia Sophia?? Bottom line is the prices are way too high for what it really is, and that's pieces of crap! The trouble and annoyance to "Book a Party" and have a party worth AT LEAST $250 in sales was all too much. This was not a fun little jewelry party, more a HUGE hassle. I expected to get together with my gf's socialize and buy what ever we please...not to be told that "I HAVE TO SELL $250" worth of jewelry to even be considered a party and to get my "discounted hostess items"...which were WAY over priced as it is. Bottom line is the jewelry is CRAP! It's basically a huge scam that was a waste of my time. Another thing that really pissed me off was that the 3 previous Lia Sophia parties I attened..the hostess's received the item that picked out from the previous party immediatly! They got to wear them and basically show them off, but again..KEPP THEM. at my party (by the same woman) I was told I can look at my gift, but NOT receive it until I closed my party. This really offended me. I was unsure why the rest of my friends received their items...but not I?? After all that drama and delay for my $20 hostess item for booking a party...I get a call from my adcisor telling her that she forgot to charge me the $20.16 for my ring. It is just a huge pain in the ass for over priced LOW QUALITY jewelry. Maybe if my 3 FINGERS didn't turn green in under a week I would feel different. But I don't right now. And what is a lifetime guarantee going to do if they keep sending me more cheap ass fake items?? A lifetime of hassle and sending items back? I just basically want my money back and the $3.60 in shipping I had to pay for on EACH ITEM!! As for the line a few comments back about "Please don't bash our company over one expierence"...I am one...she is one...and there are MANY more out there. It seems to be a common problem with "Your Company"!!
 16th of Oct, 2008 by   judy -1 Votes
i would like to know how can you tell if the stuff is real i bought on ebay it is new but no tags no boxes and there was room in the shipping box for them it is called cache cut crystal necklace and braclet looks kind of cheap for lia sophia . i have bought from a party before and looked to be better quality than this stuff
 17th of Oct, 2008 by   Susan K. Mahon 0 Votes
This whole Lia Sophia Jewelry party thing is nothing more than a SCAM! I spent well over $400.00 at one of these "parties" and when I attempted to return a couple of the items, I was required to track down and provide a ton of paperwork, treated rudely by its Customer Relations department and on top of all of that I WAS CHARGED AN ADDITIONAL $19.74 FOR "PROCESSING FEES!!!" Please be warned - This company is horrible, their product is not that good, Customer Relations is even worse and Lia Sophia deserve to be run out of business. As a matter of fact, I'm contacting the "Better Business Bureau" right now!
 27th of Oct, 2008 by   Melissa -1 Votes
Susan,

I am sorry you had a bad experience. I am a Lia Sophia advisor and all you need to provide is the recepit that you received when you purchased your jewelry. Do you have that?

Melissa
 27th of Oct, 2008 by   Danielle +1 Votes
I was just invited to a Lia Sophia party by my close friend and just as I was typing it into the google search bar Lia Sophia scam articles are EVERYWHERE. Needless to say after reading all the different message boards/blogs/articles the party will not go on. I wouldn't want any of us in the sorrority ripped off due to crappy jewelery and poor service none the less.
I'd rather drop thousands at Tiffany's.

Melissa, you might as well apologize to all these ladies, not just Susan.

Jewelery scams... dissapointed, but not suprised.
 5th of Nov, 2008 by   Donna Komaniecki +1 Votes
I totally agree. The jewelry is way overpriced. You can get the same jewelry anywhere for less than 1/3 of the price.
 8th of Nov, 2008 by   Annonymous -1 Votes
This is really sad that there are so many of you so quick and willing to trash a company mainly because you've had a "bad experience" with an advisor who unfortunatly can ruin a name but, they are not the company.

To Danarah... who made this post

( If you were un happy with the quality of the jewelry, lia sophia offers a 45 day money back guarantee)
The gold on lia sophia jewelry is REAL gold. It's not solid gold but, it is real so it can't look fake. It's not.
You may be able to buy rings at Charlotte Russe but, they do not carry a lifetime warranty. And lia sophia advisors can't "Make" you buy anything regardless of the lifetime warranty.)

(Take some responsiblity for your own actions and the fact that you made the purchase by your own choice. )

( You can pay $10, 000 for a ring from Tiffany's and have it turn your finger green. Having a piece of jewelry turn you green doesn't mean the jewelry is crap. Certain metals react differently with different acid's in a persons body. Lotions, soaps and hand sanitzer's can also react with certain metals and acididy as well- Turning your finger green is something that can happen to anyone regardless of the jewerly and how much you paid for it.)

(ALL in home parties have a minimum sales amount in order to qualify for hostess benefits. If they didn't anyone could book a party and get TONS of free stuff without any work or effort on their part- Be serious. No one told you "had" to do anything. Sounds like no matter what anyone could do or has done, nothing could make you happy.)

Again... there is a 45 day money back guarantee so if you weren't happy or felt the jewelry was WAY over priced, send it back get your money back and get over it.

(This problem isn't with lia sophia, it's with whomever you booked your party with. If she gave the other hostess their items up front that was her choice not the fault of lia sophia and that's an issue that needs to be addressed with her. Sounds to me like you got a pretty crappy advisor that decided to take you for a ride - the scam lies with her not with lia sophia)

You should NEVER have been charged $3.60 per item. I have been a customer with lia sophia for over 4 years now. Yes I have had a few pieces discolor, I've even had some break but, every time I have EVER had one issue lia sophia has been AMAZING to take care of me and make things right.

I love my lia sophia jewelry, I love the quality of the jewelry. The price is amazing but expensive when you compare it to cheap crap you buy at the mall's.

There may be MANY people unhappy with lia sophia but there are three four and five times as many people HAPPY with lia sophia. The company has been in business for over 35 years!!! If the company is such a scam and the jewelry is such crap, they would have been out of business LOOOONG ago.

Lia Sophia is a member of the direct sales association which getting a company recognized by is not easy.

I've purchased items from Walmart which I sometimes get home and am dissapointed with the quality of. However, Walmart purchases their items from all different kinds of companies and vendors. It is also the same with lia sophia. Their pieces are created by MANY MANY different artitsts. Sometimes you may find a piece of jewely you feel is less quality than another.

Lia Sophia's designs are their own original to the poster who said you could buy the same jewelry anywhere. - You may be able to find "similar" jewelry but you canno't purchase the same jewelry anywhere else. There's a reason lia sophia is such a "HOT" commodity with the celebrities. It's beautiful handcrafted jewelry made by a company that stands behind it's product.

I will forever be a faithful and loyal customer with lia sophia. I only wear the best.. and I only wear lia sophia.
 10th of Nov, 2008 by   Laura Wimberley 0 Votes
This ring I paid over $40 for after tax and shipping (then found the EXACT same style at Claires, of all places) turned my finger green in 3 freaking days. Complete joke. I have a ring I bought from a street vendor for $9.00 in NYC over 3 years ago that I wear every single day, morning noon and night and it hasn't tarnished or anything. For Lia Sophia be marketing themselves as this 'high quality premiere company' is absurd.

Think I'm exaggerating or making it up? Please look here:

Now, I know some peppy person from Lia Sophia or an obsessive customer will be leaving a reply with a very heartfelt, canned "Why don't you contact us? We will fix it blahblahblahblah" The point is, I shouldn't have to contact a jewelry company about this BECAUSE A JEWELRY COMPANY SHOULDN'T BE SELLING "HIGH QUALITY MERCHANDISE" THAT TURNS YOUR FINGER GREEN!!!
I don't have senstive skin, I made sure to take this off when I washed my hands, and I don't wear lotion.

I've never had jewelry turn any part of my body green except for cheapo mood rings I had as a kid from the bubblegum machine. Thanks, but no thanks.
 13th of Nov, 2008 by   Jen +1 Votes
I recently attended a Lia Sophia party. The host as well as the advisor are co-workers of mine. Overall it was a pleasant experience.

I received my ring about a week after the party. LOVED IT!!

NOW 1 week later MY FINGER IS GREEN!!! CHEAP CRAP!

Yes I know some silver and gold can turn your finger green... how come I haven't had an issue since I was 8 and bought rings out of gumball machines? I have a toe ring from Claire's that I bought 8 years ago that has never come off my toe in all those years... yeah, no green. I have other white gold rings that I've had for years, and have worn for weeks at a time, no green. I'm sending it back for a full refund.
 18th of Nov, 2008 by   Nikki 0 Votes
I have 3 rings from lia sophia and I wear one every day. My finger has NOT turned green. I actually disobeyed their suggestion of taking off the jewelry before washing dishes, cleaning, etc...and they are still just as nice as when I first bought them a year ago. :) One of the rings is newer, bought it out of the Fall/Winter 2008 catalog, and I have not had a problem with that one either.

If I end up buying a piece of jewelry in the future and it happens to turn my finger green...I'm not going to rant and rave about it til the cows come home. I'd much rather buy my jewelry from lia sophia than Claires (which is more like disposable jewelry...wear it once and throw it away hahaha). I've had earrings from Claires turn my ears nasty colors but that doesn't mean I'm gonna stop from buying things there. It's great costume jewelry that I like to use for Halloween. :)

Also, I had a friend tell me that she bought a bracelet from Macy's, spent a few hundred dollars on it, and guess what...it turned her wrist green. Oh no, everybody run and picket Macy's! Fire up the blogs with how bad Macy's is. She has worn other bracelets before so it's not in her body acid...so it must be the over priced, crappy quality jewelry that Macy's sells (*rolls eyes*).

Get over it...it can happen to anyone, with jewelry in any price range, and an entire company should not be chastised for it. Lia sophia is not a scam.
 20th of Nov, 2008 by   Jen +1 Votes
I had a party and when I received the product I had problems. One of my friends ordered a ring in a size 8 and they shipped a size 10. She ordered another ring that was on backorder. When it came in it was the correct size but the wrong ring. She also bought a stretch bracelet that when she went to put it on it broke. I ordered a necklace that came broken. I had a friend who ordered two pairs of earrings and the first time wearing them the posts broke. I had another friend who ordered a ring that completly tarnished and turned her finger green within a ffew days. I had sent all of the items back and they refused to replace it, not even the items that they shipped incorrectly. They said that they could send me the exact same thing. I fought with them saying that is no help because the customer paid for their ring in the correct size and style and wants what they ordered. Their customer service is horrible and very unwilling to help their customers. My advisor has been in contact with the company as well trying to get this taken care of and they said that they have made several attempts to reach us with no reply. No one has contacted me since my advisor put in the complaint. I will never order from this horrible company again!
 1st of Dec, 2008 by   Sherry Roe 0 Votes
I feel that everyone should learn more about metals as it doesn't mean that it is cheap. Some people have more acid in their system & your finger will turn green or the jewelry may turn from the "acid" hormones in your system. The fault lies within yourself. And personally if my body is going to do that, I want a lifetime replacement! lol!!
 4th of Dec, 2008 by   Shawn 0 Votes
This is crazy. You seriously have to take this junk with a grain of salt. Noone knows who these complainers are. For all I know, they could be someone who sells another type of jewelry. I think they tried to get someone to book a party and the person told them that they are having a lia sophia party. They were so upset, they came out to the board to post some make-believe story about how bad the company is. Then, they went back to the person and said "hey, you may want to check out this message board. I think you should reconsider your party with lia sophia." These people probably say Mary Kay cosmetics cause their skin to break out in hives. I wonder if Pampered Chef gave them food poisoning???

Okay...I'm done being on their level as I don't know who these people are and really don't care. I just felt like entertaining someone. I hope you liked my posting. ha ha I've been to several lia sophia shows and what I've read here is a bunch of crap. Sounds like someone had terrible advisor. Sounds like somone's body reacted to the metal. I was in the military and the dog tags turned my neck green...how dare they make me wear those dog tags!!! I think everyone who reads this should make sure noone enlists in the Army...their dog tags make your neck turn green! Okay...so I wasn't done...now I am.

Wow...that was fun. No I see why people do this type of stuff.
 5th of Dec, 2008 by   ddizz66 -1 Votes
These postings are a complete joke. They have to be Latasia or Premeire or Park Lane Advisors...Come on. The jewelry is by far the best out there. I love the product, all my friends love the product. Even in these hard economic times women are still having parties. The book does not do the product justice. Its beautiful. We all know there is always that one person who complains about everything!!! Sweetie maybe you just need to get yourself a man instead of coming home to your 12 cats and finishing off your gallon of hagen daz!!! LOL really...LOL Really, you need more than a good piece of jewelry, , , , , you need a good plowing to get your priorities strait...Get a life...
 5th of Dec, 2008 by   ddizz66 -1 Votes
Im still LMAO...
 14th of Dec, 2008 by   bluefairy2020 +1 Votes
Okay ddizz66, that is just stupid to try and say these people are trying to just sabotage lia sophia. People have a right to be upset over paying any amount of money and ending up with crap pieces, even from claires. ddizz66 YOU can get a life and stop being such a stuck up snob. You are no better than anyone else and no one cares enough to try and actually deal with you. Get over yourself.

Now, that being said, I did sell lia sophia. I no longer do so because it was far too much work for me with still being in school and trying to have a real life. I know that it works for some people, and others it does not. I am not a pushy person that likes to get people to pay more than they should on jewelry. I don't care what anyone says about the jewelry selling itself, you still have to do work. You cannot just walk up into a party and hand out catalogs and have people magically exclaim 'oh my god let me spend 400 dollars!!!' I know I didn't. I was coaxed into buying and having a party and into selling. Luckily I didn't have to pay for my kit at least (which has like two good piece and the rest suck and don't sell).

As for the ring issue. I have had the issue as well. Not all of them have done it, but two have. I sent both back and never received one back. I did everything to try and figure out what happened but was merely ignored even though the other pieces I sent back with it were taken care of. I was an advisor fighting with my own company for crying out loud. I will say they are normally very good about replacing pieces but not always. I had to send the ocean ring back 3 times before finally just getting credit for it because every single one they sent me was messed up or broke right after I got it.

The prices are WAY too high for what it is. Seriously, you can go to any department store and get similar things for at least half the price. Plus, in the last year they have jacked up the prices like no other. Its ridiculous! The only reason I kept buying it was because of my 70% off and ability to buy everything with the hostess discounts. I got comments on it all the time during, after, and before parties about certain things being nice but 'just too much money' even when 50% off. I will say I was working with a younger group most of the time but not always and my close friend that joined a month after me had the same issues I did with bookies and all that.

It may not be classified as a pyramid scheme but its damn close to it. The only way to make serious money is t move up int he ranks by getting people to join under you or have a thousand parties a month. It is NOT an easy job no matter what people say. Like I said, it works for some, but only one person I know has kept it up among the 8 that signed up as advisors.

Tan Man Fraud Report