logo

Charged me another $50

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

LG / Dishwasher, Humble, Texas Complaints & Reviews - Nasty smell!

LG / Dishwasher Contacts & Informations

LG / Dishwasher

Posted:    Glen Marple

Nasty smell!

LG
18718 Rusty Anchor CT
Humble, Texas
Phone: 2818521022
Purchased an LG dishwasher. After 3 service calls they replaced it!! The one they replaced quit working after 18 months, this was an $800 dishwasher!! They refused to do anything to make it right. We also purchased a Washer Dryer set for over $2300.00 the washer hase been serviced 3 times. We have to leave the door open on it because it smells so musty!! After you use a towel once you have to wash because it smells as musty as the washer. Do yourself a favor and never buy LG appliances!!!
Comments United States Appliances
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Jul, 2008 by   Sue Jackson 0 Votes
This sounds exactly like my problem. Did the same thing, replaced everything with expensive LG brand, after much research I may add. Dishwasher has bad smell, I leave the washing machine door open all the time when not in use, and the bleach cup fills with water everytime I do a load of laundry. It also cost me over $200 to have a part replaced in the dishwasher after a few months. The tech knew immediately on the phone what the problem was, he replaces the same thing all the time he said. Sounds like a scam to me.
 15th of Oct, 2008 by   Beverly Pouti 0 Votes
We bought an LG dishwasher, almost right away it would smell awful when we opened the door to put dirty dishes in, we never had this problem with our old dishwasher! My daughter purchased LG front loader washer and dryers, and her husband started to complain his clothes started smelling musty when he started to sweat. found out it was the washer!! They told her to run clear water through washer cycle every couple weeks to empty bent hose.
 14th of Feb, 2009 by   Big Jim 0 Votes
I purchased an LG Dishwasher Model# LDS5811BB on 9/30/07 from Home Depot and installed by Home Depot. Less than 4 months later it was not working properly and the customer support then was great from LG. It was repaired quickly and worked great till last month (Jan 09). LG's Owners Manual book says 1 year labor and 2 year coverage for parts. I called the LG Customer Service number and have got nothing but a runaround. 1st Phone call I talk to the customer support person and he tells me to call the authorized repair dealer and schedule a repair. Ok so I call the repair place and they tell me they need a work order number from LG. 2nd phone call to LG same day, sounded like same representative and he says he will send the work order to the repair place. (Next day), I call repair place, no work order. 3rd phone call to LG and still sounded like the same representative from day before, he says my warranty is out, I tell him same thing 1 year labor, 2 years parts. The representative tells me I need to FAX the page from inside LG's own Owners Manual that shows 1 year labor and 2 years parts, a copy of the reciept, and the customer invoice from Home Depot, which I did. 4th Phone call back same day, representative tells me FAX must come from a different department and it may take a day for them to get it and soon as they get it it they will send a work order to the repair place. That was over two weeks ago. Yesterday I called the repair place again and guess what, still no work order number. I guess LG figures if they can delay me till SEP 09 they can really say my warranty is out.
 19th of Aug, 2009 by   gelineau 0 Votes
I have had a LG diswasher for 1yr and 2mths... It really stinks when LG does not support the customer.. I called because my dishwasher did not dry the dishes.. They said it was because I am not using the liquid rinse. I started using the liquid rinse and it is still not working. I noticed as well that the stainless steel face of my diswasher is not cleaning up very well. Believe it or not it is stained, by what I do not know. I did not get much from the LG service, but did get the extended. All he can do is replace the part.. Crazy.. I paid $898.00 for it. What happen to the old days! The customer is always right!! I called back in December and complained of this problem, the dishwasher was only 6mths...
 28th of Sep, 2009 by   Ellen/Keller/TX 0 Votes
I bought an LG dishwasher, washer, dryer, and refrigerator. God help anyone else who ever does the same. It's a total nightmare!!! LG is the most unresponsive, hard to work with, inhuman, irritating company I've ever tried to work with. The dishwasher smells so bad I can hardly open it without gagging. I rinse all of my dishes off before I put them into the dishwasher and run a cleaner in the dishwasher periodically. Still, it smells to high heavens!!! I wish I had my old Whirlpool back! I bought these at Home Depot and they also have not been responsive. An LG repair person came to my home twice and said the dishwasher worked (mechanically) so they could not do anything about the odor. It was just my problem to deal with. I called LG and was very professional and kind. The customer service people were rude and would not allow me to speak to a supervisor. Never, have I been so frustrated. The sales people at Home Depot gave me a song & dance about how wonderful LG was. Whatever you do, don't believe them! Go somewhere else to buy and buy anything else besides LG.
 29th of Sep, 2009 by   scrapperkimmyd 0 Votes
My expensive LG dishwasher died 2 times during the first year we had it. JUST after the 1 year mark, it died a 3rd time. We didn't have the money to get it fixed and LG would do NOTHING to help us. We even had a Home Depot manager call some LG manager to have it replaced, but LG still did NOTHING to help us. so it sat unused for about a year. then I found a warranty I'd purchased and had them come out and fix it.

They replaced the motor. TWO months later, it died AGAIN and the motor was replaced AGAIN.

How much longer til it gets replaced???

Anyway, sitting all that time with a little bit of water has made it VERY stinky. How do I get that smell out?

And I'll never buy LG again. And all my Facebook friends know that. ;)
 12th of May, 2010 by   LG Dishwasher Problems 0 Votes
LG appliances are certainly not living up to anyones expectations.I built a new home and equipped it with all LG appliances.Every item I have has had troubles and service .Customer Service is non-existent.You are on your own.Not only are they unreliable but they are extremely unsafe.Due to fire, and electrical shock hazards.I recently had trouble with my stainless dishwasher model 5811st. Unit showed error code LE. Talked with customer service.They said I needed either a new motor, or a new control panel.I don't believe anything they tell me. I like to fix things myself after past visits by service personnel, shoddy workmanship, and outrageous pricing.After a 5 minute search on internet to the FIXYA site. I discovered a posting by a gentleman who must work in the appliance service field. His posting discussed a wiring problem with LG dishwashers. There is a strand or loom of wires that runs from your control panel to the underside of your dishwasher .It's located behind the outside covering of your door whether it's painted or stainless. 6 screws held my panel in place. Open your door and you'll see them on the inside. Right below the two 2 upper screws on each side that hold control panel in place. Remove the front panel of the door by pulling panel away and tearing at the white fiberous batting. You will see a spaghetti strand of wire. When LG assembles the dishwasher they spray a mastic insulating material on inside of panels for sound deadening. Looks like tar. Your wires will be stuck in this tar in spots or entirely. What has happened is the interior of these dishwashers reaches a very high temperature. The wires melt into the tar material then contact the metal backside of the washing compartment. Your wiring will be melted, charred, cracked, or burned in half. Depending what wires are damaged in the loom everyones machine may have different operating problems. My motor would'nt work. I simply pulled wiring away from mastic material checked it all carefully from control panel down to where it turns to go underneath machine . Wires were stuck in various spots but right in line with what would be your water level line inside machine during operation there were four wires damaged 2 charred and 2 completely burned in half. I simply respliced them with heat seal butt connectors, electrical tape wrapped the entire loom, then used 3-m insulating tape around entire outside of wire loom to protect it from cabinet heat. Reassembled unit and it works like brand new takes about 30 - 40 minutes to check and complete. I suggest everyone with LG dishwashers checks on their wiring . It is an extreme safety hazard .There is an inherent risk of fire or electrical shock. Legal action should be pursued if damages occur . If you find bad wiring document it and take some photos before and after repairs are made. It 's worth checking the wiring before you throw out your unit it is a simple fix. If your not having problems check it to protect your home and family. LG should have a recall on this matter but they are not in this business for the long haul. They just want that quick buck. Good Luck! Be Safe.
 26th of May, 2010 by   vanecita 0 Votes
Hello we have a LG dishwasher model lds5811bb. It caught in fire last week. We were told the pump shorted back to the control board. The service men told me this was not the first dishwasher they serviced for a similar problem. Right now I am going through the ordeal of getting the parts for free. I will have to pay for labor though. I plan to file a claim with out attorney general and with the US product safety commission. Please let me know if you had a similar issue...these products must be recalled before they kill someone!
 19th of Jun, 2011 by   Jimcates 0 Votes
My wife and I must add ourselves to your list... after always wanting a really good stainless steel dishwasher we purchased an LG unit 5 months ago. What can I say, it stinks. It stinks everytime you open the door to it. The cycle it daily with good detergent but no luck. We even pulled it out thinking there had to be a mouse dead under it. There wasn't.

The only time it did not stink was when we bought it and opened it for the first time.
 29th of Jun, 2011 by   rorosmom 0 Votes
We had an LG Dishwasher. We will not bew buying another one. On Saturday, our dishwasher caught on fire and we were not even running a load of dishes. LG seemed to be real coopperative when we talked to them on Saturday but when I talked to them on Monday they said it was out of warrently and that they would not pay for anything. I still had my clean dishes in it from the night before. It had been over 12 hours since I ran the dishwasher and I was in the dishwasher 20 minutes before we found the fire to get a measuring cup out.
 4th of Jul, 2011 by   sickofsmells 0 Votes
We have had nothing but bad smells coming from our dishwasher too!!!
We bought our appliance in July 2008. We had the smell from the getgo. One serviceman gagged and almost threw up when he opened the door.We repeatedly calledd LG...finally got someone to listen to us...I "yelled" enough that they finally OKed a new one and an upgrade at that...Well, guess what? We've had three more plumbers and a repairman come to see what problem we were having with the SMELL in our NEW dishwasher. I will be going back to Home Depot.I will insist that they take this one back and I will buy a new one...NOT an LG So, the dishwasher we got in 2009 still STINKS !!!
 5th of Sep, 2011 by   Harry25 0 Votes
I have had nothing but bad smells coming from my dishwasher too!!!
I bought the Dishwasher in 2009.. .I repeatedly called LG...but nobody would listen to me. LG told me to use vinegar which only helped the situation for a couple of days. In other words, LG totally ignored my complaints. LG must be aware of the problem but refuse to do anything about it. So I will conclude by saying my LG Dishwasher stinks bad everyday. So no more LG Appliances for me.
 5th of Sep, 2011 by   Harry25 0 Votes
Purchased a expensive LG Dishwasher in 2009 and I could not believe that a Dishwasher can smell that bad. After calling LG, which was a complete waste of my time, I give up. LG must be aware of this problem but refuse to do anything about it. In conclusion I would like to say that LG Dishwashers stink. And I will never buy another product that is made by LG.
 6th of Sep, 2011 by   anne m conn 0 Votes
I too purchased an LG dishwasher and am having same problem with awful smell. At first I thought the disposal was backing up into dishwasher, but no matter what I do the smell persists. Wasn't suprised at all the coments from other LG customers, was amazed by searching "LG dishwasher stinks" got so many responses. Again, wish I had stayed with Whirlpool!!!
 16th of Jul, 2013 by   Skeeber 0 Votes
I just purchased an LG dishwasher along with the LG washer/dryer, microwave, refrigerator and microwave. I love all of the appliances except the dishwasher has that really bad musty odor. I smelled it the first time I used it. At first just thought that the odor was because it was new. then I thought the generic soap was the problem. But after a few months and purchasing the most expensive dishwashing soap it still smells awefull. I finally decided to call LG. The representative said that he doesn't use LG products and after reading the information that the company tells him. He did say he knows of the problem and there is nothing LG is willing to do to fix it. He can send a tech out to see if it is mechanically working and if it is I would have to pay $89.00. Because they won't fix the smell problem.
 1st of Aug, 2013 by   Karily 0 Votes
I also just purchased a LG dishwasher (LDS5540ST), fortunately it was delivered only one week ago and can be returned to Best Buy immediately. I have run 3 loads of what I consider to be barely dirty dishes, no dried-on food, no 'sticky' sauces like BBQ, not even a pot. NOT ONCE have my knives come out clean. Forget about cutting boards, I'm glad I had only used them for nuts and vegetables. I'm sure the nut crumbs are among the particles I find in plastic plates and cups. I found (and removed) part of a mac & cheese noodle after the 1st wash. Somehow, small bits keep appearing, though I suspect these things could be a mixture of 'leftovers'. Oh, and the smell - I couldn't possibly agree more! Sad thing is, all my research led me to believe this 4.8/5 was a great buy.
 7th of Mar, 2014 by   S.R.P. 0 Votes
We also had many problems with our LG dishwasher model LDS4821ST. It was actually a two fold problem because we had an extended warranty through Home Depot AND their service department failed to show up for repair appointments twice. Problems in order of occurrence: drying release agent failed to work, door broke, utensil caddy broke, machine became incredibly loud while washing and barely cleaned the dishes, and finally quit turning on completely. Had a repairman from our local utility (Worry free PSEG northern N.J.) Attempt to fix machine. The whole control panel of electronics was shot. He told me their are 15 service bulletins on this particular machine . Just the control panel repair would cost more than the cost of the machine(around $800.00) . Repairman advised me to call LG. Guess what, their customer service is just as bad as their products . i will NEVER buy an LG appliance again.

Software Theft: A $63 Billion Problem