logo

LensCrafters

Posted:    Barb Sheldon

disceptive replacement discount

Illinois
I scratched the right lens in my glasses which I purchased from Lenscrafters 2/28/09. I paid $615 for 2 lenses plus new frames. When I inquired about replacing the damaged lens I was told I was covered by their replacement coverage and I would received a 50% discount. I was then told I had to replace both lenses even though only one lens was scratched because that is their policy, hence I would have to pay $307.50. The way I see it is I'm paying full price for the one lens I need to have replaced. I have purchased my last 3 pairs of eyeglasses from Lenscrafters and paid a lot of money to do so. I will NEVER patronize Lenscrafters again and I encourage all to do the same.
Comments United States Vision, Glasses, Lenses
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of May, 2009 by   Hammed3 0 Votes
As the number one optical retailer in the country they can't be that bad. Tell me of another product YOU can damage, and have it replaced for half price. It is important to replace both lenses to insure proper placement of optical center or seg heights. Also, try another location before castigating an entire company.
 9th of Jun, 2009 by   SuzzieQ 0 Votes
I agree with above-where else do you get 50% off if you do something to your glasses in a year? Oh yea that's right no where! Also if you have transitions or anti-reflective getting only one lens would ba a bad idea. In transitions the lenses would be two different colors because one lenses was newer that the other and the A/R coating would look different and may be noticable.
 17th of Jun, 2009 by   P Salmon 0 Votes
I have the same complaint here in Canada. If I can I will take out an Advertisement in a major Newspaper detailling my complaint. I called the Home Office of LensCrafters to get the name of the President of the Company. They won't give it out claiming security reason. I guess the security reason is that they get so many complaints they coul'dn't handle the mail.
 26th of Jul, 2009 by   lizbe 0 Votes
You know how you have to have a prescription to get glasses? That's because they're something that a DOCTOR prescribes. I think people forget that when they purchase glasses. There are logical reasons as to why they can't just make one lens and not the other, as the people before me have explained. Any company who WOULD replace just one lens like that is not doing their job to ensure the quality of the product or the health and safety of your vision.

I can certainly understand being irritated at first, but I CAN'T understand why you'd stop giving them your business over it. YOU messed up the lens, and they're willing to replace both of them for half the cost. Think about it this way, dude. You're getting two NEW lenses at the same cost of having one lens replaced at full price (which is what any other business selling anything other than glasses would do).
 16th of Oct, 2009 by   disappointed_with lenscrafters +1 Votes
BUYER BEWARE ! ----> Upon inquiry of replacement cost under the one year replacement policy they immediately inflate the "current retail replacement cost" The retail purchaser will not know this value or would they ever pay this "INFLATED COST" for a new pair of glasses.

If you walked into a Lenscrafters store today the over the counter retail purchase price of a new pair of glasses "IS NOT" the same price Lenscrafters will charge you for a new pair of one year replacement glasses at the 50% discount price rate. YOU WILL PAY 90% OF WHAT YOU PAID OVER THE COUNTER AT THE ORIGINAL TIME OF PURCHASE.

SHAME ON YOU LENSCRAFTER !
 17th of Nov, 2010 by   playpiano89 0 Votes
As of this year Lenscrafters has an improved protection plan for glasses. Unconditionally, your glasses are covered for 90-days for every customer. And they have a plan you can purchase for $25. And everytime you need to use it you pay a $25 co-pay. It covers everything that could happen to your glasses (including scratch lenses) except loss or stolen. This plan last for a year. The year starts after the unconditional 90 days.
 9th of May, 2012 by   potata1 0 Votes
What self serving answers about requiring that both lenses be replaced, even though one is perfectly fine. I had the same problem. The optician helping me explained it was company policy. I replied it was only a way to get more money out of you. He shrugged sheepishly and said "I was trying to be diplomatic".
I then went to 2 other reputable opticians and they were totally fine with replacing just one lens. Don't be afraid to go elsewhere.

Saving on Spring Break