logo

Lens Crafters

Posted:    Edward Maslak

faulty

Lens Crafters
I puchased a pair of glasses that broke with in 3 months. After taking it back to Lens Crafters they said that they couldn't fix them. The best that they would do is go 1/2 price of a new frame. The one I purchased was over $300.00. I feel that she should have the frames replaced.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Feb, 2008 by   Brian Nichols 0 Votes
I totally agree!!

This seems to be the current business model for this company! What's worse is that most of the frames they sell (especially their Kids frames) are specific to Lens Crafters. This prevents you from getting them replaced somewhere else.

Example: My son needed glasses, so we went to lens crafters. 3 weeks later the dog got ahold of them and chewed up the frames. The lenses were still intact, so I took them back to Lens Crafters to get the frames replaced. They informed me that they no longer carried those specific frames and that they could not fix the existing ones. We ended up buying a whole new set of glasses. This upset me for a couple of reasons. The first was because we were told that each pair of glasses they sell comes with a 30-day guarentee and would be replaced for any reason. This was a lie! The second was due to the fact that they sold me a set of frames that they did not intend to carry for longer then 3-weeks!!! (Give me a break!).

So we purchased his new set (and getting a measly $20 discount on his old set). 3 months later, they broke across the rim of the left lens. Again we took them back to Lens Crafters, and yet again was told that they no longer carried those frames!!! This is crap!

After doing a little research, I found out that the frames are manufactured by United States Shoe Corporation. They also own Lens Crafters (among a few thousand other popular appearal stores). Since they control their own inventory, they do not have to worry about their customers going to framesdirect.com and purchasing replacement frames. You can only get them at Lens Crafters. Something they neglect to mention while you're forking over $300.00 for a pair of glasses!!

Wal-mart and other discount eyewear places sell national name brands. My advise to anyone is to purchase from them. At least they will have the frames in stock when you need a replacement. If not, then they will have them elsewhere.

Neither Lens Crafters or US Shoe Corp will EVER get my business again!!
 4th of Mar, 2008 by   RiptOff 0 Votes
I also just returned home 10 minutes ago with a bad experience with these people. I bought two pair of glasses from them two years ago. Since then, my eyes have changed and I need new lenses so I took the glasses to COSTCO who told me they could not put lenses in those frames.

I left COSTCO tonight and drove to the Lens Crafters across town and, after I spent 10mins having to convince the woman who waited on me that they were indeed Lens Crafters frames watched her tell me with a straight face that it would cost me $187 or more for per pair for single-vision lenses.

She was terribly put out when I responded "you must be joking", took my glasses and left. I plan on going back to COSTCO where I can probably get two whole new pair of glasses for $187. As for the Lens Crafters glasses? I'll see if I can donate them to some poor souls who need them... someone is going to be able to use $800 worth of glasses.
 4th of Apr, 2008 by   Donn 0 Votes
Yesterday, I went to Lenscrafters and had my eye checked. Since I need a new perscription, I brought my 2yrs old old glasses. The frame is authentic Prada and in very good shape. I am the type of person to extremely take care of my stuff. My Prada frame was no scratch at all when I brought it in to Lenscrafter to replaced the new lens. When I went to pick up my glasses, the fitting was messed up. I asked them to adjust but I fell like they were not that happy to help me. I told them not to get dissappointed if I asked them to adjust my frame. they said no problem but it sounded like there's a problem.
After adjusting the frame, I saw the kinda type of glue between the lens and frame. I asked to clean it for me and they said it is my glasses. I said when I brought in my glasses it was clean the only problem was the lens. So anyways more to that but finally they clean it up for me but again the fitting wasn't right. They messed it up again. The glasses would stay half of my eyes are out. so meaning my glasses is nto fit right. They told they can't adjust for me because i didn't buy the frame there. But in my head, YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT KINDS OF FRAMES HERE AND YOU TELL ME YOU GUYS CAN'T FIX IT. THEY HAVE PRADA, GUCCI AND ETC. .So I told them, when i brought in my frame it was in good shape. They finally scratched the frame and blame me for not listening to them that they can't fix it? They told me to pick any glasses with 50% off? in my head i was like WHAT THE HELL>>>>?? But I told them, you guys expect me to buy new frame for 50% off ? it is like buying a new pair but I have a good nice frame until you guys messed it up?

I was really angry at them. I left my glasses in there told them i am not happy and I will be back.

Please comment me back.
 22nd of Apr, 2008 by   Lynn Clark 0 Votes
I bought a pair of Prada frames at Lenscrafters in OK City this fall when I visited my inlaws. This was a big purchase for me. I usually wear frames fo 4-5 years so I was excited to get some stylish new frames. Shortly after I returned to my home in Texas one of the temple pieces came off. The little metal piece in the hinge just came out as though it had never been glued in the first place, a few days later the other side did the same. I took the frames to the local Lenscrafters and the local staff was actually very helpful. They said the piece could not be fixed. They don't handle the Prada line at the local store which surprised me since Lenscrafters is a national chain. I was told they couldn't get the frames directly but managed to find a pair at another store and negotiated a replacement. Well, here I am a few months later and the exact same thing happens again. When I go back to the local store they tell me all they can do is a 50% replacement on the frame... $150. They confirm with the chain of command that this is the policy and inform me by phone that is all they can do. The whole package with lenses cost me over $500. in November. I am sure that the lenses won't fit in any other frames so I would have to pay that expense again. They claim there is no history of problems with this frame (interestingly it is being discontinued), which implies I have done something unusual to them. They said they don't know what people do when they get the glasses home. I have been wearing glasses for 50 years and have never had anything like this happen and in fact have the last 5 or 6 pairs of glasses that I have worn. They are all in perfectly wearable condition in fact I changed one pair into a pair of sunglasses that I still use. I am really angry over the stance Lenscrafters is taking and plan to do what it takes to get a full refund or a new pair of frames and lenses, although it sounds like this will be difficult to do. This is a matter of principle they obviously have no concern for customer service. They have to be making huge profits on this product. I would never give Lenscrafters my business again and will make sure to spread the word about their customer service. If anyone has had a similar problem with Prada frames I would like to hear about it. Lynn Clark
 6th of Aug, 2008 by   del -1 Votes
About a year & a half ago, I bought a pair of Prada eyeglasses at Lenscrafters here in Boston. They were extremely nice looking and I paid quite a bit for them (around $450). Over time the frames became dull and cloudy. Nothing wrong with the lenses, just the frames. So I stop in at Lenscrafters and ask if there is anything I can do to clean or correct my glasses. I'm told by the salesperson that this just happens, it's plain wear & tear. Plastic frames, he said, only last about a year before they dry out & that this is very common. "Nothing you can do about it, " he says, and shrugs. He said I should just buy another pair then tried to sell a similar pair to me. I wasn't told this when purchasing these glasses. What's up with this? Built-in obsolescence so that we have to buy glasses every other year, spending hundreds on each pair to keep Lenscrafters going? Ridiculous--I'm purchasing my stuff now either at Costco Eyewear or online as I refuse to support Lenscrafters. I'm also posting on my blog, facebook, my space, etc. I'm sick of this stuff!
 31st of Aug, 2008 by   edita 0 Votes
hi, I have also a problem. bought gucci frame in Italy, came back to germany and wanted to put lenses in. after i did that noticed (found on the internet) they were man's frames. lenses are already in. what do i do? have receipt and a original box, two months pass got cheated from sale associate. did not know these were man's frame.
Thanks
 28th of Apr, 2009 by   mari -1 Votes
I also purchased an expensive set of Versace glasses from Lenscrafters in Chicago Ridge, IL. and within 5 months the left arm just fell off. It wasn't as easy as replacing a screw... no, the arm just FELL OFF.

Because I wasn't aware of their fraudulent ways, I didn't rush back into the store to get it fixed... I waited a month. When I returned the saleslady informed me that they no longer carry that style frame but she kept my frame to get it repaired. I returned a few days later and she tells me that "they can't be fixed". (Hmmmmm, interesting.)

I bought their bogus "policy" that the initial saleslady conned me into, using speech that led me to believe that if something happened to my glasses they would repair them (within a year). Well, since this was the splurge of my lifetime ($400 plus eyglasses) I figured that I wasn't going to take any chances and I bought that damn claim.

Well, back to my attempt at getting them repaired...
It happens to be that since they "no longer carry that style" and my glasses "can't be repaired" my only option will be to purchase a whole new set and "only pay half of the cost of your initial set". BAH!!!
How dare they???????

So they're trying to sucker me for another $200?!?!??! I guess they were trying to do that. Apparently, I should have done some research prior to this purchase and I'm soo sorry that I didn't because now I'm stuck with a $400 mistake. It angers me so much.

After reading all of these postings I have to say that I am sick, sick, sick!

I'd gladly join a class-action lawsuit against them. In fact I even fantasize of going back and raising a stink loud enough to make sure other potential customers hear my warnings. I also fantasize about picketing in front of their store at the mall but ... I haven't.
Yet.
 7th of May, 2009 by   Whatever 0 Votes
Umm not to be rude people but hello get the heck out of hear. does lenscrafters make the frame? NO ok then if theyre faulty its due to the manufacturer itself which we dont control. You want different frames go elsewhere stop complaining act like some freaking adults. Read the back of the receipts which clearly state your warranty and guarantee. Oh and for the lady whos kids glasses we never had well we dont get notice of discontinued product so you cant get mad at us for that crap. And if you had a dog chew the glasses clearly your fault put them in a place where the dog cant reach them or better yet in their case. And the policy isnt something to con you in genious its not like you pay for the policy when you buy the glasses unfortunately thats what we have to tell you its 50% off the retail price within the year. Now theyre could be many reasons your glasses brake anywhere from "dog chewing' to taking them off with one hand. It sucks that you guys arent satisfied because our goal is to always please the customer but i read youre complaints and yes theyre valid but also pointless.
 9th of May, 2009 by   tkirkpatrick 0 Votes
First of all, those of you complaining about not having your broken frames replaced for free..take some responsibility for your own actions. If you break something, you pay to replace it. You don't get it replaced for free. There are no products that work that way. Yes, glasses are expansive, but so are cars and clothing. If you pay for them and are irresponsible and destroy them shortly after, they are not replaced for free. Adults need to start acting like adults and stop asking for handouts!
 13th of May, 2009 by   Suzanne 0 Votes
As a former employee of Lenscrafters, I completely agree with everyone's complaints. Lenscrafters does "own" many of the frame lines that they carry, and I think the frame quality is poor considering the prices. I don't work for Lenscrafters any longer because the company does not treat their employees or their customers decent. I couldn't be a part of their "used car sales" mentality any longer. I now work for Costco and I love it! Great quality, great service and fair prices.
 24th of Sep, 2009 by   pmac2nite 0 Votes
"Lens Crafter is the Amco of the eyewear industry. Their business tactics and morals are the worst. I would suggest you stay clear of ANY business owned by United States Shoe Corporation. A Ohio company who opperates in the shadows and doesn't even have a ligitimate web site!

Neither Lens Crafters or US Shoe Corp will EVER get my business again!!"

I am not sure where you get your info from - as very little is correct. It's like your research was from 1988. LensCrafters is just one of the companies owned by italian giant Luxottica Group SpA - the worlds largest manufacturer of eyewear (and owned by Leonardo Del Vecchio - a man who is one of the top 25 wealthiest persons in the world). They make eyewear - not just for LensCrafters - but for the majority of eyewear optical shops in the world. They own and operate 7, 000 stores in 5 continents - and operate their own insurance company that covers almost 1/3rd of the lives if Americans (110 million people who have vision insurance are through EyeMed).

US Shoe is defunct and has been since 1995. Lux ripped apart the other organizations of US SHOE to keep the optical. The completely debt ridden shoe business was sold off - (good riddance) and the womans clothing company was eventually sold until the owner's son could buy Brooks Brothers lock, stock and barrel - so that is a "cousin company" to LensCrafters.

LC, Pearle VIsion, SUnglass Hut, Target, Sears, BJ Optical, Ilori - etc - are all the same company - same frames - same models...just different levels of service and price options. If you want something fast - go to LC and pay the premium. If you can wait - go to Target Optical and get it just as good - but wait ten days. I worked at Lux from 95 until 2009. Now they are suffering from a years of being way to lenient with customers - replacing frames and horribly scratched lenses for too many years. At one point, we had near a 20% remake rate - replacing glasses for people who wore them for a week and changed their minds...or obviously did not take care of their lenses. I saw many emails of ppl claiming their lenses were 5 months old, but our computer systems and doctor exam reports indicate they were years old...but we complied. In order to make up for that - LC had to raise prices - to very high levels...and customers rebelled with their pocketbooks and walked away...(this was before the big economic crisis). And have now seen their profits fall from 16% (one of the highest in all retail) down to 11-12% (very average). Thats why i got the boot - too high of a salary - so they cut me and many others over the last year to free up overhead.

I'm not sure what you mean by running a legitimate website -they have an award winning website that was solid at attracting customers. I suppose you were looking for US SHOE - which of course would not have a website - since they closed their doors in 1995. go to www.luxottica.com - or www.oakley.com - and you will see that the company is not "operating in the shadows."

And telling your customers to go somewhere else - keep in mind - private ODs and other chains all carry Luxottica frames - in some cases - to maintain the % level required if they cater to EyeMed customers - much of their inventory is from Luxottica. We manufacture the world's best selling frame Ray Bans and also Oakley (which our military uses), Chanel, Tiffany, Ralph Lauren, Versace, Stella McCartney, Prada, Burberry, Vogue, D&G, Brooks Brothers and dozens of others - are all made in the same places (Lux owned factories)...and whether you're paying for them at LC, Pearle, or one of those CostMarts - Luxottica is getting the $.

****************************************************

Neither Lens Crafters or US Shoe Corp will EVER get my business again!!
 3rd of Dec, 2009 by   Rinji 0 Votes
First of all, what percentage of the people were actually returning perfectly good glasses because they simply did not like they way they looked?

Most of the complaints that are legit in this forum seem to be over poor quality product.

It makes no sense to charge people with legit problems with poor quality product more money instead of changing the policy about returning glasses for frivolous reasons such as "it's the wrong color."

This type of fast food policy of "We'll make is right for anyone and everyone" isn't realistic for a company like Lens Crafters. A Big Mac doesn't discontinue in the same way as a pair of frames.

The fact that lens crafters is blurring the lines of what the policy can and cannot do is distrubing.
It makes employees more comfortable with mistreating their customers.

Obviously upper management is comfortable with this as well. It doesn't seem to merit enough attention from the higher ups because in the end it's still resulting in money.
However the share of that money is coming from the wrong people. People who probably depend on Lens Crafters prompt services. People like myself who cannot function, work, drive, raise a family or SEE without their glasses, even for one day.

This makes my stomach turn.
 31st of Mar, 2010 by   bobbit 0 Votes
I have to agree that these complaints are absolutely ridiculous. Especially the lady with the kid and the lady whose glasses fell apart after 5 months. If you bought a pair of shoes and your dog chewed them up and you had a 30 day guarantee to return them would you be mad if the store would not take it back? What are they supposed to do with the frames? That would be like the shoe store giving you 2 pairs of shoe for the price of one, take better care of your shit. Glasses are expensive, they offer the gift of sight, its not a chew toy and its not lenscrafters problem.aAnd the lady with the glasses that couldnt be repaired, how can you break something yes YOU, I highly doubt a lenscrafters employee snuck into ur house after 5 months and sabotaged ur glasses so that after 5 months they would fall apart. 5 months is a long time for something you wear on your face everyday, again if the sole on your new shoe fell apart after 5 months would you have the audacity to try and get a refund? You people really need to get over yourselves and get a hobby. No one forced you to buy glasses from lenscrafters, you should have been like the lady who couldnt afford good quality glasses at lenscrafters and taken ur asses to costco
 27th of May, 2010 by   xrockstar 0 Votes
I purchased a pair of Tiffany & Co glasses from Lens Crafters and the letter T fell off. When I took them in to get repaired I too was told I can only get them replaced for 50% off retail price. I think Lens Crafters should have some sort of partnership with the manufacturers they work with to allow repairs. I was not asking for my frames to be replaced. They wanted to charge me $190 dollars when I only paid $189 for both the frames and the lenses with my insurance coverage. It can't be that hard to get a replacement letter from the manufacturer and just glue it back in. I don't think I'm asking for too much!
 28th of Mar, 2011 by   Optiboy 0 Votes
I'm an optometrist - LensShafters et al. are known in the business as "whore houses" and, obviously, people who work there are "whores".
MAX profit is the sole motive - period.
They require their optometrists to sign a lease that they will work 363 days a year or get a substitute. Have any of you ever tried to get someone who does what you do to work a weekend for you ?? Impossible alot of times, esp when you're a whore. Most whores are already working somewhere. They claim it's voluntary -- that's partially true, just as breathing is voluntary. Their optometrists are "controlled" via short term leases and booted if they don't do what they're told.
So -- go to a private office if you want someone who actually is concerned with you're problems and wants to help. Or - you may get someone who's missing an important event in their life and resents being there. Luckily I was able to find someone from another state to work for me when I got married. So I got to go to my own wedding and it only cost me $500 per day !!! I would have returned unemployed if I hadn't.

4 Uncommon Ways to Earn More Cash