logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
eCampus.com
Misleading website and terrible service!
2. (3 mins ago)

Unfair pricing

Len the Plumber
4806 benson Ave
Baltimore, Maryland
Plumber called to home for service in master bath. Was given lengthy description of what it would entail to fix the problem. It sounded difficult and would take at least a couple of hours.Given a per job rate of $464-- I did agree to it. The plumber was done in 45 minutes-- I was shocked. How could they charge so much for so little time. I felt totally taken advantage of.

Calls to company and a certified letter resulted in them sending us a check for $50 which has not been cashed.

I contacted 2 other plumbing companies and was told price was double (at least) of what was normal pricing for job.

I just want others to be aware-- their per job pricing is deceptive-- ask for length of service--don't be as gullible as I was.
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

25th of Nov, 2008 by   Kelley Winter 0 Votes
I had the same issue. I was quoted a book rate of $600 for the work and the plumber told me that it would take the afternoon. I agreeed, then he wrapped up in one hour. After several phone calls they offered to return $100 which I declined. I'm disputing this with American Express-I think I will have better luck.
 12th of Jan, 2009 by   patty 0 Votes
Len the Plumber was very fair in the pricing, I also had a lot of work done and they completed the job in record time, the price was no issue, beings if you would have listened to the technician, you are paying by the job... NOT by the hour, I think you both was thinking the job was done by the hour, your mistake! And for you to stop any payment is totally obsurd on your behalf. I bet you do this with anyone who works in your house. You need to be put on a DO NOT SERVICE LIST.
Next time you have any technician in your house to do any work, take the time to LISTEN, there is a big difference in paying by the hour and a flat rate for the job, Len the Plumber is NOT hourly, they are flat rate, your just one of those people who try to get something for nothing. I am embarrassed for you and your ignorance.
 15th of Jul, 2009 by   Plumb Angry 0 Votes
No matter how Len charges the prices are to high. This has been verified by estimates, not by emergency jobs. It is not just Len The Bummer either, several others double and triple charges that were quoted by other plumbers.
My personal experience was this; I was quoted a price for a job, mid way through the job another problem was discovered. (it was something very obvious). Now the job went from a few hundred to in the thousands.
A call to the office and the original price was halved and then ultimatley the charge was removed altogether. Nice of them to do that.

The plumber didn't do a full clean up job or put Teflon tape on the shower head nipple or reinstall the shower head. There were a few other things but they provided me with a patch job to hold me over.

In all I agree that the people above were over charged but they agreed to it and that is what the market allowed at the time. Len The Plumber nay prey on people in unfortunate situations. And not sometimes.

I will steer clear in the future.
 1st of Oct, 2009 by   miketheplumber 0 Votes
I am a professional service plumber w/20yrs experience. We have alway worked on a T&M basis for small service calls and given set prices when requested. When asking for a set price, keep in mind the plumber is still going to charge you by the hour and isn't going to intentionally figure it for less time than he could typically do it in. Pricing for troubleshooting becomes difficult because narrowing down a cause of a problem can sometimes take longer than the actual repair, which is why flat rate servicemen have you sign so many caveats to cover unforeseen problems. Typically what we'll do is ask our customer to agree to a T&M investigative agreement until both parties can see what the repair will entail and then a set price will be offered. We are going to figure our labor rate, which includes all of our overhead and materials, equipment & consumables and add 30%
to that. At the end of the year that profit always ends up closer to 20%-22% given customers who renege on agreements unforeseen expenditures. I think this is a typical and fair margin. Ask a retailer what his costs and profit is, see if he'll tell you.
 2nd of May, 2010 by   HT8850 0 Votes
It is unfortunate that this being a male oriented business, that when you do have an emergency, the plumber or any other service personnel tends to take advantage of their customers. I was given a quote for a water heater problem. Len the plumber person said it would cost $386 to rebuild the water heater or $1300 to replace. My husband asked if there was anything else we could do and the plumber said no. We said to go ahead and rebuilt it. I though about it and realized that the heater had a 12 year warranty with Sears for parts. I told the plumber to stop the work and I called Sears. I also looked up the cost to purchase a water heater like I already have and it is ONLY $199. I still have to get the cost of replacing (labor) the water heater but I doubt that Sears, BGE, and will get another estimate elsewhere, is charging $1100 to install a item that cost $200. I will not only NEVER use LEN again but I also will Warn any and everyone I know to not use them!
 31st of Jul, 2011 by   gary1121 0 Votes
I don't know how YOU figure this is a mans trade, I have been in the business for 36 years and I do know alot of woman that are plumbersm As for the cheap water heater from sear, and Bge, did you know that BGE has there name on there product but because of warranty issues of poor workmanship BGE does not give you a warranty on there own produt and will actually stear clear of there own product, Another thing once sears, home depot or lowes and even bge get your money it will take you a month or more before they come back to your home to fix anything they have a problem with, Again i do not like Len the plumber I actually think most of there employees are idots, Kate is one of the worst people in the co, doesn't know a damn thing about what is going on there and that is why I left, But Len does back hs warranties, and doesn't install your bs water heaters that you can buy for 199 he actually buys great products, so again another idot that thinks they deserve something for free, that a shame but if you people all ways with your hands out would stop trying to screw over the service industry, maybe then we could lower our prices some, but then again why should we, We bring a truck that has enough items to rebuild your house we pay for gas employees have insurance, so why should people like you get low price if we came to where you work are you going to let us pay say 5cents for a soda, only because that is what we think it should be worth, or just pay the price we think we should pay, wake up you pay 30grand for a car that cost 5 grand to build you drive it for a few years and dunp itk but if you have a chance to have an actual real plumber then it is worth the price, but go ahaead and play with home depot and lowes, bge, go ahead you think they are sp great they will screw you faster then anyone, what about if they put in a water heater and it leaks you will PAY for them to take it out and then pay for another one, Len the plumber will just change it no questions or extra payment
 22nd of Apr, 2012 by   Allenrb52 0 Votes
Not actually a review but I, like most people have suffered at the hands of poor tradesmen. So much so that I have started a Website focused on plumbers - Just in Suffolk as that's where I live - to help consumers avoid the problems of getting a simple job done. http://localplumberfinder.co.uk/
 3rd of May, 2013 by   Gus Balcazar 0 Votes
I'm a plumbing owner myself. I charge by the job. A lot of customer believe plumbers charge a lot and its because of greed. It's not! Plumbers pay averages from 23.00 to 37.00. Journeyman that is. Keep in mind cost of workmans comp is high, material is not cheap, gas is expensive especially when you are hauling a lot of material. Pay attention to Len The Plumbers marketing. He's advertised every where. Advertisement is expensive, cost of uniforms are close to 800.00 then you have to pay to get them professionally washed, taxes are done quarterly which means we have to charge in order to keep providing excellent service and being in such a high demand business we are the heroes protecting your house from mold, and other sanitary problems. As a plumber our code is Honor Thy Plumber. People complain about how long the plumber was there for and what his charge was, look at it in a positive way you are also paying for peace of mind.
 13th of Dec, 2013 by   gc2013 0 Votes
ridiculous pricing by Len the plumber, I agree, I wish I have seen the reviews before. I was charged $600 for leaking faucet, which took less than a hr.
 27th of May, 2014 by   Customer in Bowie 0 Votes
This was my first time using and hearing about Len the plummer. I was also the victim of unfair pricing for a small job that cost me $500.00 that took no more than 45 minutes. Just like in the initial response, "I agreed to the estimate. The plumber was done in less than 45 minutes-- I was shocked. How could they charge so much for such a small job. I felt totally taken advantage of". I will never call for their service again. In many cases, it doesn't matter that the cost is priced by the hour or the job, this is DEFINITELY considered "UNFAIR PRICING". It was a small job. They charged an additional $175.00 just to cut a 12X12 hole in the wall to get to the back of the tub to fix the main problem something anyone could have done with a sharp object.
 29th of Jul, 2014 by   Unhappy in Ellicott City 0 Votes
I had the worst experience with Len the Plumber! They totally ripped us off. They promised some additional work to make up for it and would never follow through. Service manager Chris wouldn't return calls and once I got a hold of him, he was totally unprofessional. I would never, ever use them again.

Credit Card Fraud in Call Centre Exposed Via BBC Sting Operation in Delhi India