logo

9300 FM 1641
Terrell, Texas
Phone: 972-679-5720
KCWLegacy@aol.com
Legacy Labs (Kathie Williams) sold our family a puppy who was diagnosed with bilateral elbow dysplasia at 5 months of age. We had to remove the dew claws because they were not removed as advertised. We also had to have a tumor surgically removed from our puppy's back leg...all before he was 7 months old! We have sent the breeder two sets of xrays and a video of our poor puppy who is without question...loved but lame. Our family feels a moral and ethical obligation to reach out to other potential buyers and unsuspecting families and let them know that Legacy Labs is NOT the place to purchase a puppy.

Comments United States Dog Breeders
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

24th of Nov, 2011 by   Brindamccoy 0 Votes
Breeder clams to be a "family" breeder with only 2 litters per year. An Internet search of this breeder and "next day pets" will lead you to the truth. A beautiful ranch in Texas does NOT mean the breeder is reputable or ethical. We drove from California to Texas...only to be handed the puppy on the porch with a small bag of food.
 24th of Nov, 2011 by   Brindamccoy 0 Votes
LEGACY LAB: PUPPY BUYER BEWARE!!!
 25th of Nov, 2011 by   Frank McCoy 0 Votes
Perhaps to see the parents which were supposed to be on site...running on the ranch chasing birds and swimming in the lake? Perhaps getting to see the litter mates.
 13th of Dec, 2011 by   Anniesmom +1 Votes
We love our lab that we got from Kathie. She was very knowledgeable and put up with a ton of questions from me and my husband. We even got to throw the ball with all her labs. We get compliments all the time on how beautiful our lab is, and the trainer at petsmart said it was obvious that he was well socialized as a pup. Our vet was impressed with all the work that was already done, and our little Annie is the best dog in the world. I've recommended her to several friends, and would continue to do so.
 13th of Dec, 2011 by   Brindamccoy -1 Votes
We are not questioning the beauty, smarts or personality of our puppy Ben. What we are distraught over is the lack of concern that Legacy Labs (Kathie Williams) when we told her the news about Ben being diagnosed with bilateral elbow dysplasia...not once, not twice, but three different professional opinions. We are upset that the dew claws were not removed as advertised. We are upset that Ben had to have a tumor surgically removed from his back leg...Kathie could not be bothered with the horrible news! All of this occurred before he was seven months old. Please view our video on You Tube and decide for yourself! It just breaks our heart because we love him so much.
 31st of Jan, 2012 by   Jim and Linda LaPorta +2 Votes
We also purchased a puppy from Kathie Williams/Legacy Labs, and have only good things to say about the breeder and the pups. We asked her about the "other side of the story" regarding Ben, whose owners have now put their video of Ben on You Tube under no less than 7 different titles and 7 similar complaints about the breeder. People should know that Legacy Labs spent $500 to have a radiologist evaluate the x-ray that was sent to them by Ben's owners, and there were no findings. Even so, Kathie asked the owners to provide her with ANY written assessment and diagnosis from ANY professional, and never received anything from the McCoys, including the "3 different professional opinions" that they claim to have obtained. And, incidentally, Legacy Labs has never had another reported incidence of bilateral elbow dysplasia in any of the labs they have bred in the whole 20 years they have been breeders. The breeders have seen the video of Ben, and Kathie describes it as heartbreaking, adding it is obvious that something is wrong with Ben, but without having sufficient proof of the claim made by the owners (who never sent the breeders anything more than a 1-page report that could not confirm the validity of the owner's charge), they will not reimburse them for the purchase. I feel sorry for the owners, but cannot support the vitriol with which they are attacking the breeder. I highly recommend Legacy Labs for anyone who is considering purchase of a lab or labradoodle.
 31st of Jan, 2012 by   Brindamccoy -2 Votes
All we can say...The YouTube video of our precious Ben speaks for itself. We are very grateful that Ben ended up with a family that will nurture and care for him as long as possible. Ben just had his first birthday and although he does not always limp as bad as the day we shot the video, he walks like an old dog. He can only go for short walks because of the pain that follows. We live in California so the warm weather and pool have helped with physical therapy. We will continue to post additional videos throughout Ben's life. We feel a moral and ethical obligation to let people know how important it is to screen their breeders. Kathie Williams and her relationship with "next day pets" just reinforces warnings that reputable breeders talk about. BUYERS BEWARE!!!
 31st of Jan, 2012 by   tubie 0 Votes
Well, considering that most of Legacy's dogs have no verifiable elbow clearance information, Legacy really has no way of knowing if they are throwing clear elbows or not. There are also no verifiable eye clearances in a breed that suffers from a debilitating eye disease.

Their newest stud is only 17 months old - too young for final OFA clearances, yet he's sired at least 2 litters already.

Red flags abound here...
 31st of Jan, 2012 by   Brindamccoy -3 Votes
Gee...does this say puppy mill or what!!!
 10th of Feb, 2012 by   Brindamccoy -2 Votes
Legacy Labs in Terell Texas sells puppies all over the Internet. She (Kathie Williams) claims to produce one litter a year of white labs. An Internet search will show you otherwise. She has numerous litters a year, including white labs, red labs, labradoodles, etc. please watch our You Tube video of the lame puppy we bought from her in March 2011. She continues to bred "Bear" even though she knows he has produced a severely lame/days plastic puppy.
 17th of Mar, 2012 by   imctry -1 Votes
We, too, bought a puppy from Legacy Labs (Kathie Williams). "Dixie" is a female labradoodle puppy and was 3 months old when my daughter brought her home to us. Upon arrival on a Sunday afternoon, she had diarrhea, which I thought might be a type of separation anxiety. It was worse during the night, and we took her to the vet first thing Monday morning. She had two types of parasites, one a most difficult one to get rid of. After several types of medication, pills and liquid, she was finally clear in about 2 months. Needless to say, we felt so sorry for her, along with all the aggravation and great expense. We could not housebreak her, but as soon as she was "clear", she housebroke herself! Dixie's dew claws were not removed. We were given the name of her mother, and her birth date written on a piece of paper. When my daughter asked, she was given a can of food for Dixie, which was the worst for a pup with diarrhea! I emailed Kathie several times, but she could care less, and said that Dixie had to have gotten the parasites after leaving her kennels. She refused to send a picture of Dixie's mother, which I wanted for her "scrapbook, " but did send a picture of a party poodle which is supposed to be her father. Dixie has become the sweetest and most lovable pup imaginable in spite of her beginnings. The same daughter has since bought 2 labradoodle puppies--obviously from another breeder to avoid these difficulties! (This breeder posts pictures of both parents beside the litter of pups!)
 17th of Mar, 2012 by   Brindamccoy -1 Votes
So sorry to hear about what happened to your puppy but not surprised to hear about Kathie Williams's response. I will continue to post regular videos of our puppy on YouTube to warn potential buyers about this breeder. Just this past week, I was contacted about another puppy that was purchased from Legacy Labs who is also limping after play. After reading my posts, this owner is now going to have her puppy xrayed for dysphasia. Thank you for your post!
The McCoy Family
 17th of Mar, 2012 by   Brindamccoy -1 Votes
So sorry to hear about what happened to your puppy but not surprised to hear about Kathie William's response. I will continue to post regular videos of our puppy on YouTube to warn potential buyers about this breeder. Just this past week, I was contacted about another puppy that was purchased from Legacy Labs who is also limping after play. After reading my posts, this owner is now going to have her puppy x rayed for dysplasia. Thank you for your post!
The McCoy Family
 26th of Mar, 2012 by   dsherman -1 Votes
We bought a maltipoo late last year from texasteacuppuppy, we've had no real issues. About a day after we got her she was sick vet treated her for bronchitis. We felt that might have been a result from taking her outside to potty in the cold rain. We were very happy with our purchase. Anyhow, we are wanting to purchase another so she would have a playmate. When we bought her it was sort of a spur of the moment decision, so the only research completed was google search for maltipoo in Texas and the BBB. No negative reviews found or either business. after stopping in a pet store in Frisco "petland" this past weekend and looking up their reviews i was horrified to learn about puppy mills. I had no idea their was such a place, so i started researching for how to find a good breeder, or how to spot a puppy mill breeder. Had we had this info last year we would never have gotten out little paisley. I would have to agree that they meet u at the door, ( we were in the foyer) they had about 6pups, she said that their were a couple different litters. Was not offered to see mom or dad or the area the pups spent most their day in. But we never asked either. We were worried from their site that they would be concerned about us living in an apartment. Since on their site they profess that they care for their puppy's and who they go to. If not for my husband mentioning it they would not have given it a second thought. I cant say all bad things, the pups were not afraid of her nor did they look like they were neglected they appeared to be very well cared for. Just thought i would share my thoughts. Good luck with Ben, after having our little one for just 6 months I know the heartache you feel for him.
 28th of Apr, 2012 by   MRS.Maynard -1 Votes
Total puppy mill!! I love my little chihuahua from her and purchased her KNOWING she was sick and malnourished, but their operation has spiraled out of control. ( years ago listed only labs and a few pups from other people) ADOPT people, do not buy from money hungry people who overbreed their pets and sell for huge inflated profits.
 19th of Aug, 2012 by   Kris Olson -1 Votes
I wish I would have read these reviews before I bought our pup from her...I'm so disappointed in our puppy and the way she does business...I'm kicking myself!!!
 1st of Oct, 2012 by   Loving my furkids -2 Votes
BUYER BEWARE!!! Kathie Williams of Legacy-Labs in Terrell, Texas, misled me on many issues and had to resort to lying to me when I finally started to question her honesty. I have had many experiences dealing with breeders, and I truly believe this breeder of Labradors is in the business of producing and selling a lot of puppies with no regard for their well-being or for her clients. Furthermore, she is not to be trusted, which is a characteristic that you do not want to deal with when purchasing a dog, especially a breed that is prone to hip, elbow, and eye problems. The only buyers that I’m sure are really happy with her are the ones that don’t question her and just go along with the way she chooses to do business. If you are a careful-minded buyer, PLEASE GO ELSEWHERE.

In August 2012, I called Kathie Williamson, owner of Legacy Labs in Terrell, Texas. My main question to her at the time was if she had any upcoming litters. Her response was yes and that one of her dogs, Baily, was to have her litter any time. I asked her if I put a deposit down on this litter would I be behind a lot of people as far as the “picking” order. I told her that I had no problem waiting for a future litter. Her response to me was that if I got my deposit in right away, I would be 4th in the picking order, which she said is really good because ”since you want a female and most people choose males, being 4th is a really good position to be in.” I understood that to mean that there was a good chance that the majority of the 3 people before me would want male dogs, so I should be high on the list to pick a female – like maybe even 1st or 2nd pick. Consequently, I got my deposit in right away to get that 4th pick of the litter.

The puppies were born on August 21/22, and I noticed on her Facebook page that she said there were 10 puppies. Then later, I noticed that she posted a picture of the puppies, and there were 11. I asked her about the discrepancy in numbers, and her explanation is as follows:

"I was wondering who was going to do the math here. Yes at this time there are 11.. but.. one was born with its sibling at the exact same time. I saw the first baby and was delivering it and had cut the cord, and was warming it and massaging it, then without too much graphic detail..I saw the second puppy and was a bit panicked as it was still in the sack. I opened the second sack and this baby was very slow to respond. Took me several minutes to get her breathing. I finally got her to breath and she started pinking up, but.. she didn't want to nurse..so I though this baby would be a baby that might not make it. These were babies 10 and 11..Baily was so tired, she had quit ! I worked with baby girl for 30 minutes more, wrapped her in a warm towel and took a nap for 45 minutes. When I came back, she had apparently decided that life was just fine and she had wiggled her way to her siblings and mom.She was eating so well, I could no longer tell her from her siblings. I love watching life and nature. You can never count out a strong will to live. What little blessings they all are. Anyway.. she told me not to count her out! So originally I decided that 10 was probably accurate, but now we have 11..and I still can't figure out who was the baby with issues!"

This concerned me because she did not keep track of which puppy had the rough start – a health fact that I think prospective “parents” should know.

Kathie told me that the picking process is at 5 weeks, so I proceeded to make plans to fly from Phoenix to Dallas to select my new adorable furkid and told Kathie two weeks before that I was arriving on September 26 and would be available September 27th, 28th, or 29th to make my selection. Then, I sent Kathie a text on Sunday September 23rd to remind her. Then I sent a Facebook message to her on Tuesday, September 25th and then left messages on Wednesday, September 26th and on Thursday morning, September 27th. Finally, she returned my messages on Thursday, and I agreed to meet her at her home that afternoon. And right before we hung up, she quickly stated, “I’ll have you pick 2, and then you’ll get one of those – that’s what I usually do.” I got off the phone thinking that’s weird – she’s never said that before???

When I arrived, I got there 20 minutes early because I was driving from Dallas and didn’t know how long it would take. I called to let her know I had arrived, and she didn’t want me waiting at her gate, so I had to go to a nearby Sonic and wait until the time of our meeting.

I returned to her gate, not to find her, but to be greeted by an employee. I was surprised that I was not asked to wash my hands or put on a protective shirt or coat before I held the 5-week-old puppies, which were placed in the front yard in a small child’s swimming pool, where they were peeing and pooping all over one another. Then, when I asked the employee if I could let the puppies run around so that I could see them run and move, I was told “no.” He said there were fire ants that I couldn’t see that bite the puppies. So then I asked if we could go somewhere like the driveway or backyard (I was met and required to stay in the front yard). He said “no, you can hold them or put them in the pool, but that’s it.” I found this very strange and hard to distinguish between the puppies because they were cramped and crawling all over one another. I also found that it was strange that I couldn’t see the puppies’ parents or the facility.

Kathie finally arrived, and I told her which one of the 4 females (there were a total of 6 girls in this litter and 2 had already been chosen) that were in the pool that I wanted. This is when I was told that I had the 4th pick of the females and not 4th pick of the litter as she had earlier led me to believe. Not only did I have the 4th pick of the females, she hadn’t even had the others complete their picks. Consequently, I had to pick 2, and she’d make sure I got one of those 2 picks.

Needless to say, by this time I was completely discouraged by the entire process. There were red flags all over the place, and I kept catching Kathie in lies. She had to tell a lie on top of a lie to try to talk her way out of what I considered to be a very dishonest showing on her part. My 30-year-old son was with me, and he kept catching her lying as well. She said, “Look at those puppies – they’re all beautiful” – meaning just pick 2 and be done. She obviously didn’t see the principal of the matter or the fact that I was questioning her integrity. She then offered to refund my deposit. I was so frustrated because I had spent so much coming to Dallas that I didn’t want it to be for nothing. I ended up telling her I’d pick only 1 puppy and if that was chosen by someone else, then I wanted a refund. I got in the car with my son to leave, and as we were driving and talking about the situation, we both realized that this woman could not be trusted. I was so upset that I had my husband call her and ask for a refund, to which she agreed.

I am so happy that I did not go through with this purchase. These puppies could have health problems, and I am confident in believing that this breeder would not disclose them.
 28th of Feb, 2013 by   OzTheGreat +1 Votes
First, I’d like to say that I’ve worked with Kathie on and off for years (summers, weekends, etc.) and I can say without a doubt that no one cares more about her animals than Kathie does. I think its really unfortunate that a few hateful words ring louder than truth, and in this day and age of internet, once something is said, its out there forever. There is always another side to the story, and I think its time someone spoke up for Kathie.

As another poster mentions, Brenda McCoy never provided any proof that her dog had elbow dysplasia, and when Kathie had the x-rays examined by an independent licensed radiologist, they xrays were completely normal, and showed no signs of elbow dysplasia. As far as I know, NO LEGACY LAB has been diagnosed with elbow dysplasia. Im not saying it isn’t possible, simply that Ms. McCoys xrays were clear, and she tried to bully Kathie by threatening such nasty reviews (which she has posted over and over and over on many different websites). Kathie even offered Mrs. McCoy a full refund if she provided a statement from ANY vet confirming an elbow dysplasia Diagnosis, which Mrs. McCoy never did provide. When you work with animals, you can’t account for every variable, but Kathie always tries to work with people, and always tries to operate from a place of kindness and fairness.

To the woman who claims she bought a Chihuahua, I think that person is mistaken. Kathie has never sold a Chihuahua to anyone. She’s never owned one or bred one or anything. So I think that one is a simple mistake.

And regarding the poster “Loving my furkids, ” again there is another side to that story that has been conveniently left out here. Yes, She was 4th on the list. She picked a puppy that had already been selected by another family. When she was informed that she needed to make another selection because said puppy already belonged to a family, she got very angry, and demanded that she get the puppy she selected (the one that already belonged to someone else). She said if she couldn’t have that specific puppy, then she didn’t want any puppy at all. Kathie tried to explain to her that she cannot sell her another family’s puppy, and asked her how she would feel if someone came after her and picked out her puppy, and we gave it to them instead of her? We have a pick order for a reason, and she essentially wanted to cut in line, even though some of the owners have been waiting months or years in some cases. When she finally realized that kathie would not give her the puppy picked by someone else, she demanded her money back, which Kathie returned on the spot, because she was so difficult to work with. So I’m not sure what she has to complain about, other than not getting a puppy that was already owned by another family. Her money was returned promptly, and another family was thrilled to move up in line.

And the 11th puppy she mentions grew up happy and healthy, because Kathie stayed up with it most of the night, every night, for 2 weeks straight. Something I’ve seen her do with any sick animal, time and time again. I’ve watched her nurse puppies back to health that even vets have given up on. She has taken in countless rescue puppies and dogs from real puppy mills and finds them great, loving, forever homes. (ask her about Prince, or Merlin) Her vet often asks her to help with rehoming pets abandoned at their office (See the story of “Peg” on her website). And if you do the math, and say Kathie Averages 30 puppies a year, and she has been a recommended breeder for 25 years, that’s 750 puppies. That means that 744 of her clients are happy. That’s a 99% success rate! Her litters are still sold out months in advance, simply because she has some of the most beautiful, happy, smart, well adjusted dogs anywhere. And if that weren’t enough, I know she’ll happily give you her vets number, or any other number of references if you’d like.

I just hope that anyone considering purchasing a puppy from Kathie will take the time to talk with her, or even better, come visit! so you can see the love and passion she has for her dogs. People are always welcome to come to her HOME, and see the puppies and the parents when its safe to do so. (IE, don’t bring your 85 year old grandmother and then ask her to play fetch with 100 pounds of Lab) Kathie wants all of her people and her animals to live wonderful, long, full lives. Just ask her. She’d be happy to show you.
 5th of Apr, 2013 by   leslroc 0 Votes
Wow...the "don't bring your 85 year old grandmother..." comment above speaks volumes. Really? Did she hire a blogger for five bucks to write the above post by OzTheGreat http://www.complaintsboard.com/profile-1051401 ? This is amazing to me. I wish I would have done my research sooner. We picked up our puppy on Saturday, were given falsified vet records, and have been nursing the poor thing back to health since. http://www.complaintsboard.com/profile-998848 WE HEAR YOU ... same experience (including the Sonic deal). I would never return my awesome dog who is now part of the family after only a week...more later...just wanted to get this out there. She needs to be shut down. Thank you McCoy familyhttp://www.complaintsboard.com/profile-866577 for spreading the word. We will do what ever it takes to help.
 8th of May, 2013 by   JLLarson1102 0 Votes
I bought a malti poo from Katie Williams from Texas about 2 years ago. She was ridiculously expensive, but I fell in love when I saw her picture. She doesn't have any major health problems but has to go to the vet A LOT for minor things. That however isn't why I'm writing this comment.

I have become head over heels obsessed with my dog, Ellie. I am a huge dog lover, so this was no surprise. I contacted Kathie curious to see if I could see the parents of my dog. Being that she is a member if my family now, I am interested in what they look like. Well she responded saying "I can't seem to remember. Could you provide a picture?" RED FLAG!! She can't remember? Her websites say that she cares for all of the dogs personally and raises them "in my own home on our ranch". I don't know about all of you, but if I was breeding dogs in my house, I doubt I would be breeding so many that I could not possibly remember.

I provided her with the name Ellie previously had before I bought her, the EXACT date which I bought her, a picture she sent me of Ellie before I bought her, AND the emails we exchanged when I purchased her. What did she respond with? NOTHING.

I wouldn't change my dog for all of the money in the world. She has brought me more happiness than I could ever imagine. (My dog of 12 years died before I purchased her.)
But I am scared for the puppies under Kathie Williams care. I am scared she is running a puppy mill.

All I can say to you Kathie Williams, since you refuse to respond to my constant emails, you better hope that you aren't running a puppy mill. I have lots of spare money & time and I would glad to fly out and check it out.

3 Investments to Avoid This Year