logo

Plenty of Fish
Fraud and cheating
2. (8 mins ago)
Carports.com
Do not deal with these people
3. (10 mins ago)
tyhermenlisahair
tyhermenlisahair
4. (24 mins ago)
Jdshoes Shopping
Seller didn’t communicate and no info about order
5. (26 mins ago)
Bell CA
Bell CA not honoring contracts

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Learning RX, Sanford, Florida Complaints & Reviews - Fraud- Unqualified professional Staffs

Learning RX Contacts & Informations

145 Bellegio circle
Sanford, Florida
Phone: 407322 3140
learningrx.com
As a hard working parent, I was taken back to recently find out that the owner of the learning RX in Sanford Florida -Ms. Suzanne Gory was a hairstylist for the past nine years . If I would have known this important inforamtion I would have never given this person the day of light not because of her hair stylist career but this was a deep and serious matter I was dealing with. Our child's academic challenges and $5000.00 dollars of flash cards. A total fraud in my dictionary. i would like to strongly advice future parents to seek deeper into the background of the people who call themselves professional in brain development or learning strategists areas which they have very little knowledge working with ADD, ADHD or any other brian training skills. it is sad to be mislead and believe that the people involved are high prepared for the task of helping our children and only being there for the money.
Comments United States Schools
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Feb, 2011 by   SmithLaw 0 Votes
I am a 31yr old that was considering looking into LearningRx because I am having some problems after I decided to go back to law school. After reading much of what I have (especially from TruthBeTold), I feel like LearningRx is a ripoff. I am not going solely off of that. Before I started law school I was in sales. I did pharmaceutical sales and then medical sales. I was recruited from medical device sales to a company to sell medical weight loss into physician offices. It was another "franchise" opportunity much like this LearningRx is. It was a gimmick to take the customers money and while it had some benefit to the consumer, it also left a very bad taste in my mouth. I saw the other side of it. I know what kind of people run these things and I promise they aren't that much different. These were doctors that started this medical weight loss. They were gynecologist and plastic surgeons. However, once they all get intertwined with all of those sales people and start smelling money, all of their ethics go out of the door.

After reading what I have, I would say STAY AWAY. At least I am.
 15th of Feb, 2011 by   reihl1 0 Votes
Thank you to all that left comments. I have a 9 year old that is struggling in school. I have been trying to get the right answers for her. I have felt like I am hitting my head aggainst a wall. I called Leaning Rx. I decided after talking to them I would google them. I saw all these complaints and I will not be moving on with anything with there name on it. I am not sure what is true, but if these complaits are true, I hope you get closed down. Anyone who would rob a family out of money when they are trying to help there child should go to hell. My child has been through enough to even consider something like this.
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   NoahsMommy 0 Votes
To reihl1.
If you truly have a need for a program such as Learning RX, I would advise you to do like myself and further research Learning RX. Don't base your opinion on what you have read on this board. I just finished reading all of these posts and I see ONLY TWO complaints amongst other people throwing in their two cents.

The first by a desperate parent who is not even clear what she's complaining about. If she's upset that it costs so much to help her daughter, I understand her frustration, I want to help my son, I had him evaluated at LRX but at this time I can't afford it. However, if that's the complaint, it has no merit because she doesn't state whether or not she enrolled her child in the program. Unfortunately programs such as these are an option but not a necessity, therefore not government funded. LRX is indeed a business, they have to pay their franchise fee, their employees, rent, utilities, materials, etc.
Now, if the complaint is at finding out the owner was a hairdresser, then again no merit. More power to the hairdresser for making a career move that focuses on helping individuals' internal needs rather than cosmetic needs! Now I don't know about this franchise in particular, but just because someone owns a business does not mean they operate it.
Again, because she was unclear as to what she is complaining about we are left to assume. Let's say her child was indeed enrolled and was not successful with the program. She clearly states it cost her $5000 and that she is a hard working parent.  She probably does not have the time it requires to help at home in addition to the sessions at LRX. Based on her statements, she most likely is enrolled in the Think20 Partner Program which requires 62 hours at the center and 60 at home hours. When you have a child with academic challenges or learning disabilities, the parent needs to understand that there is no easy fix no matter how much you pay. Whether you chose therapy, medicine, tutoring, these things require time and lots of parent involvement as well. So, it makes sense if the program failed because she works too hard and has no time to devote to it.

The second complaint is obviously a disgruntled employee. You cannot but ignore her claims when she herself clearly has no ethics. If she had any, she would have immediately reported the behavior that went on at that center. Instead, she continued to work there. Knowingly deceiving her students and only coming forward with the accusation after being fired from her position without pay. In my opinion, she got what she deserved. I'm glad to learn that center has a different owner.

So in conclusion, do an extensive research on the LRX program. I did. The center in my area was very highly recommended to me, but I also did my research and read everything thoroughly. I looked them up and they have zero BBB (Better Business Bureau) complaints. I went ahead with the evaluation and I am confident they can help with my child's needs, but I have to postpone until I can afford it. Best of luck to you!
 20th of Feb, 2011 by   newlearningrxmom 0 Votes
I personally am looking into signing my daughters up for the program in Iowa. I googled reviews to just see what everyone else thought. I know as parents we want the best for our kids or you wouldn't even be looking into the program. I think there are things we need to look at and understand ourselves. I was floored to get my daughters test scores, I took her in because I knew she was struggling but I was shocked to see where she stood. First off you need to understand the test they use, it is a very very good measurement of skills. If you feel it is wrong, get another person to give the test. Any teacher can adminster the Woodcock-Johnson. It comes down to understanding how to score the test, which really isn't hard and the percentages are in the back of the book. So if you question if someone "rigged" the results, get then checked out! Same with the end results, have someone else check it. But, if the program is working, you should see it in the classwork. It does cost alot, but have you checked out how much it cost to get a basic tutor-it is not cheap! I am working on my masters in special ed. and I had to step back and say, I need help for my children. We really do not have the money, it is going to be a huge sacrifice to pay the cost of the program, but its a small investment into the future of my daughters!
 3rd of Mar, 2011 by   ThetruthaboutLearningRx 0 Votes
The truth about LearningRx,
Let me start with the trainers. LearningRx trainers are first selected based on their own cognitive skills. We find that our best trainers can think fast, multi-task, and handle very difficult mental activities themselves. We also screen their auditory processing skills which is foundational in reading. LearningRx is not tutoring…. actually, it’s the opposite of tutoring. LearningRx is about attacking and developing weak learning skills and tutoring is about teaching information. LearningRx is more similar to working out in a gym than it is to school. If you have weak muscles, you go to the gym and work it out. LearningRx training stretches and grows the “mental” muscles. I understand the thought process many of you have when it comes to “qualifications of a trainer.” The truth is…… “who really knows how to increase cognitive skills?” teachers, speech pathologist, occupational therapist, doctors????? Honestly, background doesn’t make you a qualified cognitive trainer. Teachers like to teach. Speech Pathologist are good at working with speech. Cognitive trainers have strong cognitive skills and are better at implementing those skills. We also hire trainers based on passion, integrity, responsibility, professionalism, and their awesome people skills. We hire trainers who are inspirational and fun. We always ask the question before hiring a trainer, “Would I want this person to train my own son/daughter.” We also require a Bachelor’s degree and of course do background checks.
Cognitive training is still very new to most people and the truth is…… most people don’t understand how to get big changes in our ability to process information quicker, multi-task better, increase memory, focus stronger and handle very complex problems. It wasn’t too long ago when people thought IQ was stagnate. LearningRx (Dr. Ken Gibson) has been developing cognitive skills for over 30 years, and we continue to learn and develop our methodologies so we get the best results.
 11th of Mar, 2011 by   Lauren P. 0 Votes
I worked with a LearningRx franchise for 2 years before taking on the role as a test examiner. Shortly after taking on the role, the director pulled me aside and complained about the lack of growth in the final testings I had administered. He said it was very important to remember that our success as a center relies on results found in the final tests and that basically my paycheck relied on seeing growth in the final tests. I'm not stupid and I know what he was asking me to do. I have a background in psychological testing and I do not compromise my ethics for anyone, especially when it comes to helping families. I refused to alter final testing scores and was fired from the role. The excuse was that I was not administering the test correctly. I was heartbroken. All of the results I thought my own students were achieving were false. The director was willing to trick parents and manipulate a credible test like the WJIII to make money. It seems most, if not all of these franchises carry this attitude about testing and it's all about the buck with the directors. I would advise buyer beware.
 11th of Mar, 2011 by   parent12 0 Votes
Lauren P.,
What state was your LRX center located in?

thx.
 24th of Mar, 2011 by   tump 0 Votes
@Ed Cweika -- So you are concerned that LearningRx's "bottom line is. . .well. . .their 'bottom line.' It appears to be the MOST important aspect of their business model." That concern could be valid although I have no idea if it is accurate or not.

Interestingly, here is a quote from YOUR COMPANY's website: "Summit Learning Services allows you to own & operate a profitable learning center in a shorter period of time than any other learning services company in America!" Looks like the pot calling the kettle black. . .

This comment board should be used by customers to voice complaints and carry on a discussion about their experiences with specific companies. It shouldn't be used by a salesman to slam his competition and promote his company. And you aren't just a rogue salesman, you're the co-founder! I question your ethics. Please do your advertising somewhere else.
 25th of Mar, 2011 by   first-hand-experience 0 Votes
I also was in management with LearningRx. Let me start by saying, I worked at two different locations (each with different owners). I started as a receptionist and tester and worked my way up to Assistant Director. The first center I worked at was everything negative you've heard so far. Everything from falsifying test scores to trying to make her employees claim they were independent contractors (the laws might be different in each state). I worked there and I wouldn't buy the lines she was feeding parents. When I moved, I hadn't found a job and just called the center to inquire. I went in to meet the staff and see the center...it was nothing like the previous location I had worked at. Each location is unique.
If you are a parent, I would tell you to ask for a couple weeks worth of trial sessions first. Then you can judge for yourself. I have an elementary teaching certificate and I have seen the many children it has helped. But it isn't the magic "cure" for all children.
If you are looking to become a franchisee, I would tell you to do your research! Randomly call LRx centers on the website. Do not only contact the select few thriving franchise numbers they give you. LearningRx is a family owned/operated franchise. BE CAREFUL! They all have each other's backs and as long as their families are thriving, life is good!! I watched my employer struggle with no national marketing campaign and extremely high royalties.
Hope this helps!
 27th of Mar, 2011 by   tupperpepe 0 Votes
Holy Crap...I just did a web search about learning rx and found this website! If you ask me...and I know none of you did, there are way too many people with the feeling of being ripped off. Real or not it's not for me to decide...But it's enough for me to say no way.
You guys know as parents it often comes down to you gut feeling. A store just doesn't seem safe...so you pass by. A bathroom not very well lit..."We'll wait". If you're waiting for a video of Mike Wallace getting them all to admit it's a scam...it just aint coming. For me if it smells funny...throw it away.
 28th of Mar, 2011 by   NeedaHairCutWhileReading 0 Votes
LearningRx - Great name.

Because you have hairstylists who also help people read at LearningRx, can my child get their hair cut while getting reading lessons?

You know, multi-task.
 18th of Apr, 2011 by   hpyfmly6 0 Votes
I, like many others on here, am looking into LearningRX. I am due to go back next week for our consultation. I have a 14 year-old son who is dyslexic. We have done A LOT of testing and A LOT therapy through other sources, and have found out that he has auditory and visual disorders. We have spent thousands of dollars on different curricula and therapy trying to get our son the help he needs. He is our MAIN priority. While the cost of a program does matter, if the science is there and the proof is in "the pudding", so to speak, then why wouldn't I try it? Is he worth it? Absolutely! (Even if the scores are botched, the testimonials are hand written by the parents)

I have heard from some on this board that the brain training has worked for their children. I have heard from disgruntled employees, who in my opinion, should have gone straight to the top with the dishonesty. Then I have heard from people who have an opinion but know nothing about LearningRX or have never been to a facility. If you're basing your opinion on a bad experience at a franchise, then go somewhere else. If I go to McDonalds and don't like the customer service then I won't go there anymore. I'll find a different McDonalds to go to. Not to mention that each McDonalds is individually owned and operated and is given a set of standards and rules to comply by. How well they do that and how ethical they are is completely up to them. I know the comparison is far fetched, so don't get on to me and think that I am trying to compare McDonalds to LearningRX...I can't stand McDonalds anyways :) But I hope you get the point.

What I have learned: There are MANY programs out there that claim to be able to help your child with their disability. It's my responsibility to do my homework, visit the facility if I need more information and make an educated decision. Some will work, some won't.

What I do know? I have 3 1/2 years to get my son the help he needs so he can get a job and someday and support a family. 3 1/2 years. I'm willing to try something that looks promising!
 24th of May, 2011 by   Prayerfully 0 Votes
I am so glad that I stumbled upon this entertaining conversation. I am researching buying this franchise and it is nice to see that we are all human and entitled to our opinion. Each needs to do his own research and choose his priorities; whether it be cost, parental responsibility or saying something just to be heard/seen. I have worked with a similar program to LearningRX and found the growth results to be rewarding. From what I have researched about LearningRX it is nothing like tutoring and should not be compared to it, Mr. Cwieka.

I have heard the saying "keep what you need and leave the rest"...I will leave the rest.
 10th of Jun, 2011 by   lloydsofbutler 0 Votes
I recently had my son tested at our local Learning RX. The director was very intelligent and an educator in the past. She had been in the administrative field as well as a teacher for almost every grade level. However, as I read the above reviews, I have to say that I am concerned. False tests, not holding to the guarantee and other things make me a little leary. I do not think that all the centers should be compared the same. I am a pretty good judge of character and she is very optimistic that she can help my son. I just don't know what to do now.
 23rd of Jul, 2011 by   dr. john Davidson +1 Votes
I have been in the field of reading for over 20 years. I have personally worked with over 1000 student. I have attended the key national reading conference for these same years. The reality: there is no quick fix to a reading/learning problem. The number of intervention hours necessary to 'normalize' a child reading and learning processes who is behind are far more than what Learning Rx is saying is necessary. There always seem to be some shinny quick fix that is slickly marketed that pulls people off course and drains a families precious money. I have worked with countless students who have enrolled in franchises only to find out the staff turnover is high, their training poor, and the end quality subpar. It is sad. Steer clear of a franchise where profit is key, do your homework and find a skilled, experienced provider, and stay the course.
 22nd of Feb, 2012 by   bac2004 0 Votes
As a new client of Learning Rx, I can express concern over allegations of test score adulteration. However, I will add that my son's WJ cognitive scores were directly in line with his CoGAT results, which were administered at his school. As any parent, I would hate to think that my desperation could be exploited for financial gain, but after reading dozens of articles on the issues I confront with my son and his academic progress, Learning Rx seems to offer the only solutions that make any sense. I get no help from the school system. Faculty doesn't even know how to interpret CoGAT scores. Psychologists provide nothing more than assessments for ADD or ADHD, which my son was determined to NOT have. He has been labeled a conduct problem and the never ending harassment to modify behavior that apparently ONLY takes place in the classroom has become oppressive. Therefore, after reading all the literature at the Learning Rx facility, studying what his test results actually imply, and weighing the consequences of doing nothing, the way I see things is that the Learning Rx program provides me an alternative that definitely can't hurt our situation and will most likely deliver on it's intended results.
 23rd of Feb, 2012 by   NeedmoreInfo 0 Votes
I am considering Learning RX also in Indianapolis, IN. Truth betold. Can you please email me at mjkkjones4@sbcglobal.net.
 28th of Feb, 2012 by   sydneysjrstate 0 Votes
Although I can understand why you might feel duped Sarah, you have to understand that Learning Rx is a franchise, and anyone with enough money can own one. I somewhat agree with your feeling that the company is a scam. The company makes many claims about helping people, and they say that they have scientific proof, but after extensive research on the Learning Rx scientific board, I can conclude that their claims may not be backed with enough scientific evidence. The company's scientific board has only a few published researchers with valid credentials. Thus, the claims Learning Rx makes cannot be proven or justified. Other scientists haven't said much about Learning Rx and its' claims because there is nothing truly scientific about it. You probably should've spent more time on research before spending thousands of dollars on a program for your child.You cannot blow money on something until you know it has the backing of an acclaimed source. Even if Learning Rx did had firm scientific evidence, you would still have to keep in mind that a program like that isn't going to fix every child's problems.
 13th of Mar, 2012 by   SmartnHappy 0 Votes
I am a Franchisee of a LearningRx as well as a mother of a child with ADHD. My son could not qualify for an IEP, but was failing the 8th grade even with medication. Finding LearningRx was the answer to my prayers. The reason my son could not qualify for an IEP was that the school only tested his achievement scores, not his cognitive ability. When I went to LearningRx they did the cognitive testing and I discovered that he had very little long-term memory and less processing speed. Basically, he could not process information and then he could not remember any of it.
I was so impressed with my son's results from LearningRx that I bought the franchise so that I could get the word out to parents who are tearing their hair out trying to find an answer to their children's learning struggles. I found it!!
Am I making a fortune? Not even close. One-on-one training is costly. My profit-margin is really small. Is the training a bit expensive? Not for a fix! You can pay thousands for tutoring and what have you accomplished? Got them through another grade. A great band aid. Six months of LearningRx made tutoring seem like a joke. The thing about brain training is that it continues to improve cognitive skills even after the training has ended. It even improved my son's soccer game. He just thinks faster.
I perform many of the assessments myself. I see the results. If anyone is playing with the numbers, shame on you and someone please turn them in. The program works and we don't have to cheat. Our program is guaranteed. No results, you don't pay. I had one student who is the son of a neuro-psychologist. She did the testing herselt (both before and after). She was so astounded by the results that she sends us all of her patients and wants us to accompany her on some speaking engagements.
Please don't miss out on this opportunity because some disgruntled employee is trying to get back at an employer who probably fired them for doing what they are accusing.
 26th of Mar, 2012 by   birdmom 0 Votes
Dear SmartnHappy, Where is your LearningRX located?

Madoff Admits Running 50bn Scam