logo

Dish Network
Failure to deliver
4. (22 mins ago)
BAJY CO. LTD
I've yet to receive my order.
5. (29 mins ago)
EA The Sims 3
Customer Support

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Laser & Dermatology Institute (LDI), California Complaints & Reviews - Unprofessional Conduct

Laser & Dermatology Institute (LDI) Contacts & Informations

Laser & Dermatology Institute (LDI)

Posted:    Martha

Unprofessional Conduct

Laser & Dermatology Institute (LDI)
California
I heard about the Laser and Dermatology Institute of CA on the radio. They have tons of "radio commercials" that sound like a real radio program. I made an appointment for the center in Beverly Hills on Wilshire for a free consultation. I wanted to resolve an issue of sun damage on my face, which I had hoped that laser skin resurfacing could help. When I got to the office they quickly escorted me in to a small "chat room" (not an examination room.) A young gentleman came in and gave me a wet wipe to wash off my face. I assumed that my makeup was being removed as a prep prior to meeting the doctor. Nope! Next guy entering the room was a salesman! He was worse than ANY used car sales guy I have ever met. He became irate and snippy when I asked questions about the lasers. He said it was "far too complicated" for me to understand. He then said that any treatment to my face would cost between $8, 000 and $9, 000 and was I willing to commit to spending that amount today. No meeting with the doctor, no explanation of what the treatment entails and no respect or courtesy. I need to commit to spending up to $9, 000 before I can MEET the doctor. Unbelievable! I should have known. On the table of our "chat room" was brochures on how to finance your treatments. When I announced to my salesman that I wanted to do more research before making a commitment, he jumped up and opened the door and said "you can leave by the back door." Apparently they don't want "rejects" (i.e. those that question the cost and treatment before coughing up money) walking out through the lobby. The backdoor dumps you with a clear exit back to the parking lot. They don't even say "thanks for coming."

I have seen health clubs that don't really care about helping people get healthy, they only care about running their business and signing up members so that they can make $$$. I've also seen educational institutions that seem more concerned with the making money that with educating people, but in the medical community we would like to believe that they can care for patients, provide high quality medical treatment and still earn a fair income from their practice. The Laser and Dermatology Institute of CA is pathetic. Potential patients walking through their doors are looking for help - hitting them with some slimy salesman with a rude and unprofessional attitude is disgraceful.

I would like to add that I read online many people praising LDI for fixing their problem. I'm not sure if these praises are seeded by LDI or if these individuals went to a different LDI location and met with different experiences. I can only speak to my experience with the LDI in Beverly Hills. I also cannot tell you if the $9, 000 laser treatments would have resolved my problem. Again, I was not permitted to meet with the doctor until I signed papers agreeing to the $9, 000 treatment plan. I ended up going to a regular dermatologist in a doctor's office and paying around $3800.
Comments United States Medical Negligence and Deficiency
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More Laser & Dermatology Institute (LDI) complaints
Laser & Dermatology Institute (LDI) - ONLY THERE FOR A OVER PRICED SALE

Comments

17th of Jun, 2009 by   Juan Ruiz 0 Votes
I don't agree with you. You sound like you are working for another doctor and is writing these kind of things. Or maybe you are just mad or can't afford the treatments from laserhq. I had a different experience. The doctor and a nurse came in to talk to me at my consultation. I read about the lasers and really wanted laser treatment. I had friends tell me also that laser works really good and the acne does not come back. I had the doctor treat my acne with lasers and medication. He also did my acne scars. What I paid for was to treat all my acne and my acne scars and it was cheaper than what you are saying. I liked the deal because another doctor didn't even have lasers. I think that you are fake. My face is clear and clean. I don't think you have any idea what you are talking about. I think you are just always a mad person. No wonder they kicked you out. It seems like you just like to complain about everything. Why are you complaining even you didn't get treatment here? People are funny.
 17th of Jun, 2009 by   Martha -1 Votes
Please do not assume that everyone's situation should be identical to your own. I posted my own experience - and you posted your own experience. I trust that you posted in good faith and I know that I posted a 100% accurate description of my experience with LDI. Shame on you for your negativity. If you read any of the other reviews of the Beverly Hills LDI on the internet you would see that I am not the only person who had a negative experience with the sales staff. Many people have had a similar experience. It is too bad that you would decide that you need to go to a complaint board to defend LDI. Posting your opinion and information regarding your experience is fine, but please don't be so rude as to suggest that everyone's experience must be identical to your own. You don't mention in your posting if you managed to meet the doctor with or without making a financial commitment. In my case, I couldn't even see Dr. Risler until I signed away $9, 000. I believe I made it clear in my post that the laser treatment may have worked and that Dr. Risler may be a great doctor - I will never know because I never would agree to treatment at a place with such an unprofessional and rude sales team and I would NEVER agree to a treatment plan without first meeting with a doctor. Why not post your before and after pictures as an advertisement for LDI. I'd love to see it.
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   laguy29 0 Votes
OMG this is too funny, the same thing happened to me today 07/09/2009

i got in to a terribly busy small office where everyone seemed rushed and stress, I went into a room and talked to a nurse I guess who asked me what I was in for and what i was using

next thing you know this guy in a suit comes in, does absoutely nothing but look at my face and tells me I would need 3 treatments that cost $3, 500 each, but I could do it for $8, 500 if I paid cash since i `said i would not finance

when i tried to ask about the results being permanent or if i would need more treatments in the future, he became snippy and said i was in a doctor's office and that there was no guarantee, i was like OK, i will have to think about it, thinking "what a bunch of crooks"

he opens the door and says you can leave through the back, i said no thanks, i have a friend waiting outside

i still want to this but will NOT do it with these crooks, I am sure I will get a better deal elsewhere with more professional people
 9th of Jul, 2009 by   hollywoodbabe -1 Votes
laguy OMG! I was in the same Beverly Hills office with you today and ... DITTO! The place was wall to wall people everywhere and the guy in the suit came in and very quickly told Me the EXACT same thing -- that I would need 3 treatments of 3500 each or 8500 for the package.

What a coincidence that we both just "happened" to need the exact same thing! NOT!

The second I heard 3500 I said, "Way more than I was expecting." And he basically said. "Well, we're always here." As in, OK. Fine. Didn't care.

And I got the same "you can leave out the back." He couldn't get Me out fast enough.

Same thing-- no "thanks for coming, etc." Just -- "You can leave out the back."

Seems like a numbers game. They get enough people through the door, some will bite.

I was happy to leave. Had to pay 7.50 for parking and I figure I got off easy. 8, 500??? You've got to be kidding Me. I am having breast augmentation and lipo in Beverly Hills and that is only 11, 500!
 11th of Jul, 2009 by   Carlita -1 Votes
Thanks i am reading your comments!!!
I have seen adevertisiment from this LDI somewhere and I decided to find out on line.
You save my time and money. Thanks!!!
I hate those kind of peolpe.
People should became doctors to help patients no to be millioneres. What you described sounds like a show, so desperate to sell you something. Too bad.
Also, we do not need to see many "people" before talking to the doctor. That way, they are an average of 5 people that have to get our money (added to the treatment costs), when it could be just the secretary and the doctor (and no a nurse and a selling guy). It shoulld be just a consultation.
Those costs you are mentining are craizy, too high.
I know i have not gone to the LDI, but with what you are wrinting it is enough for me to say THANK YOU FOR SHARING YOU EXPERIENCES.
 18th of Jul, 2009 by   Cammy +2 Votes
I have to completely disagree with the negative comments. I was an actual patient and this practice is the most honest and hard working medical office that I have ever seen. I had great results from my treatments and they never gave me something I didn't need. You have to ask yourself CAN A BUSINESS STAY IN BUSINESS FOR OVER 30 YEARS IF IT DID NOT HELP PEOPLE. So I just see a bunch of angry people here that just didn't want to pay the money. I was mad too about the cost, but I am so thankful and greatful because no matter what, I look beautiful and I wouldn't trade all the time that I got to go out and have fun meeting people in the past year for nothing. That was nothing like my experience at LDI. Maybe you guys went on a busy day. Of course they would be busy because they are good.
 1st of Aug, 2009 by   Martha -1 Votes
Cammy - if you would take the time to write on a complaints board about LDI then you must work for them. Why else would you even be on a complaints board? If you had a brain in your head you would read that the entire experience and the manner in which we were treated was the issue - included the cost. I happen to belong to Cedars and have always had a great experience with the health care I've received there - but if someone stated that they had a bad experience with Cedars I wouldn't call them a liar. LDI has many locations - you can't possibly be an expert on all of them and know how each and every person has been treated. Show a little respect. Several of us had bad experiences with LDI. Good for you that you had a great experience. Instead of your rude comments to us in your odd effort to defend LDI, why not just post your photos so we can see what great work they did for you? I have no issue with you posting your own great experience - but you can do that without being calling us liars because our experience did not mirror yours.
 1st of Aug, 2009 by   hollywoobabe -1 Votes
To cammy -- If you had a great experience, that's great. I agree with the post above. If I went somewhere and had a great experience and someone else had a bad experience, I wouldn't start throwing accusations around and call the other people liars. No one is perfect and no business is so perfect that every single customer is satisfied.

If you want to talk about your great experience there, great. But how quickly you get nasty and start calling ANYONE who posts a complaint about this business as liars makes your review HIGHLY suspicious.

What boards like this do is help people see when there is a negative trend occurring in a business and so they can compare their experience to others.

People can read this board and then if they go to LDI and are given rude, fast treatment and quoted 8, 500 for 3 treatments and then promptly scooted out the back door when they are taken aback at the price, then they know their experience is not unique and there are MANY others like it.

And might save a lot of people time, gas and parking if they know they are not interested in paying that kind of money.
 8th of Aug, 2009 by   SCastro728 -1 Votes
I walked into the Beverly Hills, CA location Thurs. 7/16/09...My appointment was at 6:00pm...if they need to check their records and verify who this is, if they are reading this. I came out of there thinking I need to let other people know about this. I DON'T WANT ANYBODY WITH ANY KIND OF SKIN PROBLEM, MINOR OR SEVERE, TO WALK IN HERE AND MEET THIS JERK IN THE SUIT. I WISH I WOULD HAVE CAUGHT HIS NAME, BUT HE DIDN'T EVEN GIVE ME HIS NAME WHEN HE WALKED IN THE LITTLE ROOM THEY PUT YOU IN.

My skin problem is red spots that I have to cover with make-up. I do not go anywhere with a little concealer over these spots. They gave me a wipe and told me to wipe off my face. I did it gladly, thinking finally I was going to get the help I needed. And by help I mean a doctor's point of view. I'm sitting in this little room and this man in a suit walks in. I greet him as happy as I don't know what. He sits down and this is what he says in a nutshell: " we have 3 lasers, you need all of them, can you spend $10, 000?

Immediately, I respond: "What are they, What do they do? How do you know I need all of them? Is a doctor goign to come and evaluate my skin?

He says: I'm looking at it. It's bad. How do you go out like this? You have spots every where (pointing) look at them.

I was without make-up, I opened myself up for help and I got ridiculed for asking questions. We go back and forth (again all I'm doing is asking questions) it gets worse and worse...he gives me his sales speech about how they have been in business for over 30 years. When I got up to leave my cell phone fell next to his feet...He looked at it, looked at me, and sat down. I had to pick up my phone from his feet. Excuse my language but he is the biggest d**k I have encountered in my whole life. And my visit lasted about 4 minutes.
I was psychologically and emotionally abused. I do not need a doctor to tell me that. I felt it.

I was holding my tears, but when I got to the parking lot I had to vent to the attendant and my tears were pouring down ...

The attendant said " oh I don't want to put him out there like that since I am giving the date. Let's just say, He sees a lot of people coming out of there crying, including his cousin.

MESSAGE AND FINAL POINT: DO NOT SCRATCH LDI OFF YOUR LIST, IT MIGHT BE EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE LOOKING FOR BUT PLEASE OH PLEASE DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT GO TO THIS BRANCH. THE POINT OF ME WRITING THIS IS I REALLY DO NOT WANT ANYONE TO GO THROUGH WHAT I WENT THROUGH. HOPE I HELPED!
 11th of Aug, 2009 by   Out of luck with bad feelings 0 Votes
I agree with the complaints! This place costs a ton of money and the doctor doesn't even do the procedures. I also paid $8, 000.00 and had two treatments. When I got worried about the next two major treatments I called to question a refund. They of course said no, the free consultation would cost 1, 000.00 and the two small treatments would eat up the rest of the 8, 000.00 already paid. So that was it. Money gone, they only give you 6 months to get everything done and when that runs out the money is theirs also. I feel ripped off and mad at L.D.I. Wish I had gone online before my visit and payment. Good luck to those new patients...
 11th of Aug, 2009 by   Martha 0 Votes
I would file a claim in small claims court for the balance you paid but my guess is that you signed some type of contract that prevents you from any type of refund. I'm thinking about scheduling a "free consultation" and taking a hidden camera to catch that slimy sales guy and putting it on youtube - then the entire medical community can see what happens when someone with a medical license turns health care into a business for making money and forgets about the business of treating people. It makes me sick to hear the Dr. Risler on the radio talking about how great LDI is and how they will do everything possible to help everyone. They are preying on people and should be put out of business. Anyone listening to the radio should notice that he doesn't give out prices - not even a cost range. If he did he wouldn't have anyone walking in the door. I'm sorry you are out $$$ and had such a bad experience. You should feel ripped off - because you were. You might have gotten off cheaper if you were robbed on the street.
 28th of Jan, 2010 by   Jackie1987 0 Votes
I had the same experience except worse!!! I am a 22 year old full time working and full time college student that supports myself. I have suffered with a minor acne problem for a few years now. Now that my acne has calmed down i figured it would be a good idea to seek laser treatment. I have done extensive research and heard about ldi on one of my favorite radio stations. I decided to set up a free "consultation" and knew that it was going to be expensive, but since this is something I have been wanting to do for a long time I have saved a large amount of money to put towards this treatment. Ok to get to the point...basically they took me into a small room and asked me to remove my make-up and told me that the doctor's "assistant" would be in shortly for my "consultation". I was extremely gung-ho about the process. A man maybe in his 50's came in and wrote the prices on a piece of paper. He told me it would cost $8500.00 total for 3 treatments if i paid upfront, or $12, 0000.00 if I did a pmt plan. I then proceeded to ask him questions about the treatment and how it worked. I asked simple, basic questions. He then insulted my intelligence by telling me that it was beyond my learning capability and he felt that going into detail about the lasers would just confuse me. I kept asking my questions and told him that I was not going to jump into something without knowledge of what I was paying for. I could tell that the doctor's "assistant" was becoming extremely uneasy with my questions. He then yelled at me and pointed to his face and said that I was the one with the problem on my face and not him. I then asked if he was an assistant or just a sales guy. This ticked him off!!! I'm not going to lie, I was a little scared to be in that small room with him. He then told me that I needed to leave the building and tried to kick me out of the office, but I left willingly. When leaving out of the small room, he proceeded to tell me that I wasted my time because Hispanics like me would not be able to afford it. I was completey dumbfounded!! I bursted out in tears because I have never been treated like that and I was caught completely off gaurd. I walked into the waiting room, and asked one of the nurses if I would be able to file a complaint. The doctor that is so highly talked about then came out saying to call the police on me. I stood there confused because I did not know why he would do such a thing, I mean in no way was I a threat to anyone there. He then yelled at me telling me that I was rude and I needed to leave before he contacted the police. I left in tears, confusion, and felt completely insulted. This "doctor's assistant" apparently thought he was better than me and I could not afford the treatment. When little does he know I have a very good paying job and I work literally in the same vicinity as the Irvine office. Also, my parents did not raise a fool. I am not going to stop by just placing this comment. I am looking into what I can do to fix this problem with LDI. I am not even asking for anything, and I definetly do not want anything at all from them. The fact that they could be so cold-hearted shows what kinda business they conduct. And if I am not able to do anything about this company, at least I can rest assured knowing that God punishes those who deserve punishment. As for the comment that is saying good things about LDI, its funny why someone who has already done the treatment is going on complaint boards. I think its LDI trying to save themselves...but i hope that we dont stop here because this is how crooks get away with things like this. But like I said before, God deals with everyone and even if they just get a slap on the wrist, eventually it will come back to them.

Thank you for taking the time to read my comment. I am sorry for those who had a simalar experience. I hope future goers of LDI's look into what they sign up for before they commit to it. Bottome line...I would never, ever refer anyone there and I am going to make sure others out there are aware of their business conduct!
 29th of Jan, 2010 by   Ronald000 -1 Votes
Wow thank you all for all this advise! I too was considering going to LDI before I came across this complaint board and now I wont be wasting my time or money there! Thank you once again! I'll take my money elsewhere.
 16th of Feb, 2010 by   bnhgob -1 Votes
Attention everyone!!

Most of these laser centers ARE profit centers trying to make a mint. Be careful and investigate ALL options. I here there are legitimate centers with the SAME exact CO2 lazers offering each treatment for a reasonable $500 (five hundred). Understand that if the office is in a high rent district, they will no doubt quadrupal the price to cover the cost. The office location is to impress you and to obviously go after the rich, famous, or wealthy who think 10k is nothing if it enhances their looks. For the average Joe, this is not the answer. Patience and perseverence to you all.

The Hammer
 20th of Feb, 2010 by   babooguy 0 Votes
i noticed a pattern with LDI complaints. there's always someone defending LDI who had sucess with the same story (another derma is putting it up).

REAL dermatalogists who don't steal money, don't have the time nor the incentive to put up fake comments.

LDI who steals money has staff that goes around writing good about itself, and blames it on other dermatologists.

DONT TRUST COMMENTS THAT PRAISE LDI!
 20th of Feb, 2010 by   babooguy -1 Votes
also the comments that praise the place in two complaints on this board are done by the same users, and the users only commented on these complaints. i think this says what their practices are like.
 23rd of Feb, 2010 by   Cela -1 Votes
Thank you so much for all the comments. I will not be going to LDI after reading how rude and expensive it is. 10K?? that's crazy for laser...I just as well have a boob job then nobody would look at my face.
 12th of Mar, 2010 by   ConcernedMD 0 Votes
I am a physician and am not here to self-promote. If anything, I am a student of medicine and one of life. Medical practice in Southern California is competitive. Every discipline is represented by countless doctors. There are over 27, 000 licensed physicians in LA county. Only in Los Angeles do we encounter "Octomom", Mickey Rourke-type facelifts, and Heidi Montag-esque never enough surgery. Unfortunately, medicine is big business. It is easier to run a "fly-by-night" scam than it is to practice legitimate medicine. If you don't trust me, visit the radio and billboard practices. The bigger the ad campaign, the more likely it is that you will pay cash or credit for something that may not only be unsatisfying, but can prove dangerous or even fatal.

Witness:

1-800-get slim (ads pasted all over billboards and busses):

/URL removed/

Rodeo Drive Liposuction:

Full Body CT:

and now LDI:

Please protect yourself. These people and others are predatory businessmen who care nothing about you. If you have no credit or no money, they detest your presence in their office. The large ad campaigns often cost well into the 6 figures per month. Someone has to foot the bill. That someone is the unsuspecting consumer.
Find a good doctor from a personal referall. Ensure that they are Board certified:

And has a clean background:

If they are good, be loyal to their practice, and they will be dedicated to your health (And they won't ask to swipe your credit card at the door).

A rant from a concerned physician
 10th of Jun, 2010 by   Medyo -1 Votes
I agree with the complaints because some of the things mentioned did in fact happen in my experience at the Covina office:

1. They had me sit in a room.
2. Doctor came in (now I wonder if he was a real doctor).
3. Doctor asked me what my concern was and I told him I want the acne removed off of my face.
4. Doctor looked at my face for about 5 to 10 seconds, grabbed my right hand and pointed to the skin between my thumb and pointing finger, and then told me that the skin on my face will look similar to it after the treatment.
5. I was expecting a more convincing explanation about the process, what it does, effectiveness, etc. so I asked about them but he only guaranteed to me that it works.
6. I asked him how much and he explained the number of sessions and after treatments and that it will all cost me around $4, 500.
7. There wasn't any door slammng but certainly there was rudeness from the doctor. He wasn't very attentive to my concerns and it felt more like he was just trying to make a sale and get out of the room.
8. After 5 minutes I was out of the consultation room.

BOTTOMLINE: I guess I am smart enough to know not to shed out $4, 500 for someone who only wants to invest 5 minutes of his time to convince me that his product works.
 20th of Jul, 2010 by   tati evans -1 Votes
hahaha! to those who disagree, i must say that you work for that crook Dr. Rispler or the heck his name is!!!
he is a toug, a theif!!!
i went there for acne hearing about his stupid location from kissFM!!!
he came to the room with his fat nurse for 2 min (i'm not kidding) EXACTLY 2 min!!! looked at my back, i only had 6-7 spots/red for pimple!!! i'm not a severe case however i wanted those to go away, he looked and said in a retarted manner to his nurse, " 3 appointments " and left!!! then listen to this, he has this moron looking old fart, dressing like a CEO for wallstreet!!!, calling himself " personal assistant", came to the room, with sum bullshit paper in his hand !( pretending to have some note in it, probably a pic of his wide ass butt was on that pic"., told me, " ok, for your face and back, with the discount if you start treatment today, your fee will be approx $9500"!!! hahahahahhahah
i looked at him, and said i dont' have acne like severe cases, i only have some red spot that will not EVEN count to 10, and this is your price?????????!!! LMAO!!!
he said yes!!!
ohhh by the way, the laser machines in those operatories looked like antic shit!!! so freaking old and out dated that i'm sure will cause cancer on anyone who is exposed to them!!!

b bye Dr. Thief!!! just dream about stealing from me you old shit!!!

Are You A Shopaholic?