logo

Usbizdata.com
Worst customer support
3. (38 mins ago)
Mbi - Probiller.com
Charged me monthly for something I don’t know.
4. (1 hr 21 mins ago)
Sleepy's - Kingsdown Mattress
Kingsdown give up making mattresses!
5. (1 hr 22 mins ago)

Posted:    tobydog

Training SCAM

LAN/WAN Professional
Tustin, California
This company appears to be the same scam as Tech Pros but now using a new name - See the BBB and other complaints on this site for the Tech Pros details and you'll see the similarities and the same name.

Don't give them your hard earned money! No one gives away free training that is worth anything!

The emai below is what was sent to me after they got my info off of a job site :

My name is Patrick Pule and I am the Director of Client Relations for LAN/WAN Professional. I want to personally inform you that you have been conditionally approved to receive the $6, 995 training grant to be used for the CCNA/CCNP Certification Focused Training Program.

The CCNA/CCNP Certification Focused Training Program includes 2 weeks of remote CCNA Hands-On Training (40 hours) that culminates in you attending a 3 day CCNP Hands-On Boot Camp that is held in Orange County, California (30 hours). Upon camp completion, you will receive 6 week of CCNA/CCNP remote certification training (120 hours) that is designed to get you fully certified as a CCNA and CCNP.

The $6, 995 grant covers 100% of the cost of the training. Please note that you will be responsible for a $99 camp registration fee, Cisco hands-on lab guide ($195) and dormitory style lodging/meals during the 3 day camp ($99 X 2). Camp registration fee is due upon full confirmation and the Cisco hands-on lab guide and lodging/meals fee is due on the first day of camp. If you are fully accepted in the CCIE Consultant Training and Placement Program your camp registration and lodging/meals fees will be fully reimbursed.

To get full confirmation, please download and fully complete the $6, 995 Grant Confirmation Form as instructed and return your confirmation form by the confirmation deadline stated below.

Confirmation Deadline: 5:00pm (PST) on Friday, September 18, 2009.
Please return the form via fax or e-mail to me as listed on the confirmation form by the deadline mentioned above. If we do not receive your confirmation form by the deadline listed above, your grant will be given to the next qualified candidate on our list. Within 2 business days after receipt of your confirmation form, I will contact you to conduct a routine phone verification.

The purpose of the verification is to validate that you are a qualified and serious candidate and to confirm your camp date. During the phone call, I will be happy to answer any questions regarding the training and provide tips and suggestions on how to successfully prepare for the camp.

Candidates desiring to attend a 3 day camp listed as LIMITED should turn in their confirmation form as soon as possible to ensure their spot.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact me by phone or e-mail. Thank you for considering LAN/WAN Professional as your partner in your information technology success. I am looking forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Patrick Pule
Director of Client Relations
Tel: (949) 544-1368
Fax: (888) 505-5460
E-mail: ppule@lanwanprofessional.com
Comments United States Computers & Accessories
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

14th of Dec, 2009 by   BillL33 -1 Votes
Company history for these clowns (Eric & Ray Choi)

Urban Networks
ICTP
Hardcore Techies
Tech Pros
Lan Wan Professional

They change their name every two years.
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   Steve 01234 +1 Votes
they promised *placement*, they have attempted to redefine placement, such that you place yourself and they provide the incentive via enforcement of a contract you are expected to sign when you arrive at camp, then provide training for placement, the most significant part being "lie on your resume to fill in gaps in employment" They even go so far as to offer their business as your employer.
 3rd of May, 2010 by   BFutrell +1 Votes
Yeah, the scam becomes pretty obvious once they start asking you for your favorite music, movies, websites, etc. I' d like to hear from some actual people who made it all the way to Orange County for the "hands on" camp.
 16th of May, 2010 by   RJ 4713 -1 Votes
Well, I was a part of the 2004 incarnation of Hardcore Techies. I went to Irvine and took the week classroom labs and workshops and ended it at that. I had the exact same experience as Steve and did no more - it was all too slimy. We, too, were coached to lie on the resume. Our class was one of the last ones of the Hardcore Techies version of the company - a couple of people didn't have to pay for a lot of things because they were too busy going out of business.
 19th of Jun, 2010 by   Tega -1 Votes
I am considering attending their training camp in CA though I have not make ant committment. From your experience, I need your advise.
 20th of Aug, 2010 by   Yaw123 0 Votes
I have been to one of the Grant Camps in Orange County California. I really enjoyed it. I can say that they do give the hands on trainings as promised. For me, they helped prepare me for the CCNA exam but can't find a job yet. So, out of desperation, I'm heading over there again to find out how they can get me placed. And when I say desperation, I mean that I have an impeccable resume with college degree, A+, Net+ and CCNA, including some hardcore freelance work experience. And yet, I can't even get interviews.

Well, I can't say their program is a scam but I can say that I had a lot of suspecions before I attended their camp. By the way, there will be no contract if they are going to fill my resume with lies that I can't backup on the job. As long as I can prove to my employer that the things on my resume are true and I'm able to perform, then I'm not worried about how I get in.

If they have to put themselves on my resume as my former employer, I have to let them know that they are not on my tax return and I don't have their W2. Unless they really employ and pay me. Good luck to myself and everyone!
 26th of Aug, 2010 by   nunya bidnezz +1 Votes
I attended ICTP in 2001 - 2002. Eric & Ray Choi were running that place. It looked legit, rooms full of routers, switches, etc... But the place went belly up before I was able to get one certification (I blamed myself - working a full time IT job, raising a family, everything else...) and was left on the hook for around $20K worth of student loans. I've actually just come across this new iteration of their 'school', and am supposed to take 'Remote Hands-On Training' starting on Monday. I'm glad I googled 'Lan/Wan Professionals Scams' and came across this page. Looks like it might have taken the wind right out of my sails with regards to getting into the networking trade. I'll keep you posted as to what happens next. I hope they don't read this page, and 'suddenly' decide I'm not serious enough about this training opportunity to attend their 4 day boot camp. I just KNEW this was probably too good to be true (I'm actually still hoping the posters in this forum are all just a bunch of 'Sour Grapes' type people, but the seed of doubt has been planted...
 15th of Sep, 2010 by   NEWYORKERNATOR 0 Votes
I had a scam recently. From the first moment that they send you a form that you have to fill with your credit card and some other stuff they are scamming you because, if you refuse to finish the course with them they are going to charge 450$ in addition of the amount that you already pay. So, I DO NOT RECOMMEND THIS FUC... COMPANY!!! Beware of this!!!
 30th of Sep, 2010 by   jeanne021556 0 Votes
They contacted me last night. I read what the percentage they want from your earnings to repay for the training. I'm so glad to find this website telling the truth. It will be a cold day in hell before I do anything with this scam company.
 3rd of Oct, 2010 by   lanwanprofessionalscam 0 Votes
check www.lanwanprofessional.info and lanwanprofessionalscam.com
 5th of Jan, 2011 by   WHaynez 0 Votes
I have accepted the request and spoken to two members of the company. So far the e-mail and phone numbers work and they are following up. As for the boot-camp, I was told it is free. I have to cover transportation. The company makes money because as a Cisco certified rep. there products and interests are being represented. In other words, they are hoping those who enroll have ethics and won't jump ship at the first sign of a fatter pay check.
I have a problem with landing entry-level work and internships. They do have a department that will educate you in using the correct terminology for the resume. I never agreed with the whole internet employment take over but it was destine to happen. The crawlers sort through resumes looking for keywords. If you do not know them, have enough of them, or place them in the right area the resume will never get selected.
I am pressing on toward the goal and I will check back and hopefully learn from some thoughtful insight.
 9th of Jan, 2011 by   Earl Yoo +1 Votes
I was one of the few who was part of lanwan professional engineering camp. It was basically a camp that was all about getting your certs. About the job placement they claim to provide, it isn't just handed over to you. You have to put your time and effort into it, but they give you specific directions on what you need and even create a professional resume for you. The payments are made after you find a job, but caution you have to exactly put in the amount of time they ask you to with finding a job. So they don't charge you for your services until you get a job, but you have to do exactly that they ask you to. You can also get a one-time settlement which is a lot cheaper than the taking a cut out of your salary. I took the settlement fee because I found a job.

There's some value in it with the money you pay, in that you also get a pretty sweet e-mail address that uses a virtual Microsoft Exchange server which ends in @lanwanprofessional.com for marketing yourself on your resume. You also get a lifetime membership where you get to read new tech books and get additional training that pros use. You get cert preps for the Cisco and Microsoft exams all the way up to CCNE which I easily obtained- the questions that prepare you for certs are pretty dead-on, so memorizing answers to those 500 multiple choice questions will definitely make you pass.
 10th of Jan, 2011 by   nunya bidnezz 0 Votes
I think the lanwanprofessional staff just found this page and decided to do damage control...
 23rd of Jan, 2011 by   Network Guy 0 Votes
The thing that is "different" about LAN/WAN Professional is that they get paid on the back end. Sure there are some up front costs but I believe those are mainly to ensure you are serious about learning. I think a lot of the negative posts here are from people that didn't put in the time and effort (yes, you have to do it) to make themselves successful. LAN/WAN Professional, or anybody for that matter, is not going to help make somebody successful who doesn't put in the effort to make themselves successful. You get out of it what you put in! And, sad to say, some people don't want to put in the effort. They'd rather sit back and be reactive instead of proactive and then blame somebody else for their failures. In this case, LAN/WAN Professional is the target. The students get the training and then don't want to pay I'm sure.

I have gone through their program. I started out with little networking knowledge as I was changing careers. I busted my butt to learn Cisco and still am. I studied and practiced and studied some more. I excelled at the camp (btw, I had the least experience out of my entire camp) and received an internship. I now have a career that easily supports my family. Why did I succeed where others failed? I worked hard and didn't quit. Do I owe it all to LAN/WAN Professional? Not all of it but it would have been much harder without them. I do not believe all of these blogs to be fair and just. The only time somebody complains is when things don't go their way for whatever reason. Nobody ever says anything when they had a good experience. Well, I am. Thank you LAN/WAN Professional for assisting me with my CCNA/CCNP.
 26th of Feb, 2011 by   bers0003 0 Votes
I went there and made a big mistake. You don't learn nothing new but pay or will pay a lot of money for it. From the practical standpoint you do one good lab and that's your "6 month experience". The rest of the camp are the lectures how to get a job but those are just the most general information that everybody already knew. Be on time for an interview, dress nicely, be confident, ..etc.. No inside info, nothing that will give you an advantage in getting a job. " Job placement" consists of telling you to apply on monster.com and similar sites. All in al, l you are exactly where you were before the camp, but now you owe them a lot of money...
 4th of Mar, 2011 by   Want Refund Now 0 Votes
I also have been scammed by this company (LanWanProfessionals) I warn you not to go thru with this company, and their "to good to be true" promises; I reviewed this companies web site and it looked promising at first, with the first two weeks free, and a internship position within the first 30days of attending the camp. From the time i applied for LanWanProfessionals every other day was receiving phone calls, and alot of promises, about how much money i was going to make, and become pretty much pals with Rick Morales, a mentor. He even told me at one point and i quote "all expenses are paid, including limo, air fare, and transportation provided to camp" After applying for this company they do a Background check on you, which i find not to be true. But needless to say after the Background check they give you a call stating "I want to be sure that you are going to attend, so i need a deposit which goes towards your first certification of the CCNA Training" "and a hands on tutor will contact you" I sent the Credit Card info via email, and Rick soon calls and states and i quote " i need your hand signature" I sent a fax at 8pm Pacific time, and the people that sent the fax said it didn't go thru. i figured because of office hours their fax machine was off. The next day the $250 was taken out of my account. I received a email directly stating they wanted an additional $1000 plus dollars when i arrive at camp, i immediately called the company and asked for a refund, and that i cannot afford this training that i back out. The manager calls me and states and i quote, " you owe me $1400 additional dollars." I told him for what? he stated "for what you've taken already." I remind you that two weeks was a trial... numerous threatening phone calls followed by this LanWanProfessional manager stating "I'm turning you into the Credit Bureau, and destroy your credit."" unless you pay me now" "and the BBB is a Joke" I contacted the BBB immediately...and they are fighting me over this. I found out by the BBB they had an additional 260plus complaints against them, but look them up on the BBB website with a "A" rating. how is this possible.???? BE WARE OF THIS COMPANY!!!
 13th of Mar, 2011 by   Rob Miely. +1 Votes
I recently signed up for training and finished the CCNA bootcamp last week.
I found the training to be very useful and relevant.
I've not been asked to lie on my resume nor anywhere.
I am very satisified with the services I'm receiving and I look forward to their further services.
 13th of Mar, 2011 by   nunya bidnezz -1 Votes
They just keep sending their minions to this board to try and offset the amount of dissatisfied customers they have created. Nice try, but we're on to you, dipwads!!!
 14th of Mar, 2011 by   Network Guy +1 Votes
I'm not downplaying your experience with them. I understand the frustration involved when you have a bad business experience as I have one with another company (CBT Direct to be precise). All I'm saying is MY LAN/WAN Professional experience was positive. CBT Direct, on the other hand, can KMA.
 16th of Mar, 2011 by   gfunk7771 0 Votes
I am currently a client of LANWAN Professional. I attended a camp back in Sept. 2009 and loved every minute of it. I learned so much at that camp and fell in love with the hands-on training. I'm a career changer with over 13 years of professional graphic design experience. I did go to college as a computer science major but never completed my bachelors. Because of that I found it extremely difficult to get into the IT industry. LANWAN Professional was the answer and the way for me to break into this industry. Unfortunantly, back in 2009, it was not the right time for me to join the program. I got a job offer in my graphic design career which looked extremely promising so I went back to it. Almost one year later, I got laid-off and was back on the market hunting for a new job. That's when I decide to change careers and I contacted LANWAN Professional and re-applied for the placement program.

I attended another camp in Dec. 2010, extremely excited to get some more hands-on training, but was pleasantly surprised with the changes they had made with the program, especially the placement training. I was able to get my CCNA certification 2 weeks after attending camp, and was also able to pass my CCNA Voice, CCNA Security, and CCNA Wireless all within 2 months. I'm now currently working as a Network Engineer and I am able to support my family the way I have always wanted to, comfortably. I am currently in Stage 4 of the placement program and have a goal to attain my CCNP by end of April.

I read alot of these negative blogs, and laugh at how ridiculous they sound. Most of them are based on half-truth and opinion. True IT Professionals are smart enough to tell what is real and based on facts. Do some real research for yourself, I did. I went to the BBB website and looked up LANWAN Professional and found that they actually have a great rating. I also visited the www.lanwanprofessional.info and www.lanwanprofessionalscam.com, what a joke. Are you kidding me? Those sites look like scams themself. My 10 year-old could build a better website, with the cheesy graphics and false claims. I clicked on the BBB link on one of the websites claiming an 'F' rating and I found that not to be true. I also watched the video hosted by youtube on the same site which was supposed convince me that LANWAN Professional was a bunch of scammers, I guess with Facts, and what I found was whole lot of animated graphics (no facts). What is funny though, is that if you watch the video all the way to the end, Youtube automatically lists "related" videos, and quess what videos pop up? Actual videos of past candidates that have gone through the camp. I was expecting the see a bunch of candidate that were not happy with the program, but to my surprise, they had nothing but good things to say about LANWAN Professional!

Based on my research and my personal experience with the company, I would have to say the true scammers are those individuals that did not have what it takes to be successful in this program. And instead of owning up to their own failures they have decide to blame someone else for it, and in the process have devoted way too much time trying to lead away those people who could really benefit from the program.

Here are the facts:
- LANWAN Professional helped me to get the training and certifications to be a successful IT Professional.
- Nothing they told me was false.
- I was able to get my certifications with the training they provided.
- I was able to begin my career using their placement training.

If LANWAN Professional was truly a scam, then they wouldn't be in business right now. Plus if anyone has experienced Stage 1 of their program you would be able to see that there is just way to much work involved for it to be a scam to get what? a measely $1, 900 for exam fees? Give me a break. I paid my $1, 900 and so far have used up $1, 000 of it by taking my 1st four exams and passing them. Did LANWAN steal that money from me? NO. 3 more certs and I will have succeeded where I guess everyone should have failed (because it's a scam!) Sarcasm fully intended.

To all those who are researching LANWAN Professional, don't believe what you read on the blogs and a couple obviously non-legit websites. Do some real research based on fact from legitimate websites like the BBB, etc.

If you still think the blogs are true then I've got some tabloids you may be interested in reading.

Dumb Ways to Pick a Smart Phone