logo

Drive Time Credit Corporation
SIGN UP FOR CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT
4. (34 mins ago)
Old Country Buffet
did not return money prompt after their own mistake.
5. (56 mins ago)

Kohls department store
Meadow Park/US 23
Lewis Center, Ohio
Phone: 740-548-7766
I went into Kohls to purchase a luggage bag. I found one that I wanted but it had no price tag on it. I looked all over the luggage area and there were no other bags like this one. So I went up to the check out area and told the lady that there was no price on it and could she find out how much it was. She said to me 'well, I can't sell it without a bar code'. So she looked the item over and confirmed that there was no price tag and asked me if I would go back to find another one. I told her that I had already looked throughout the whole luggage area and there were no more bags like this one. So she told me 'well honey, I can't sell it without a barcode' like it's my fault the bag has no tag on it. So she made a phone call for some help, then waited a few more seconds and said to me again, 'I can't sell it without a barcode'. What kind of customer service is that??? I always thought that if you walk into a store and everything is for sell, if someone wants to buy something from you, you make sure they don't leave the store without the item they wanted. She could have looked it up on the computer, I used to work a POS system and there are ways of looking an item up if it has no sticker. Or she could have found someone who could help her figure out what to do. But instead she refused to sell me the bag and made me feel like it was my fault that the item had no tag on it.
Comments United States Department Stores
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

16th of Aug, 2009 by   kohlsemployee 0 Votes
just so you know i am a kohls pos worker and although she should have called to have someone look up the price she was right in the fact that we have no way to look the item up at the register with a barcode or upc number.
 17th of Aug, 2009 by   Aidan +3 Votes
I apologize for that customer service, it was sorely lacking. I would like to assure you, however, that we at the POS at Kohl's do not have any way to look up items without UPC's. We have to call back to the department it's from. Which she should have done with a smile.

Please don't let her poor effort bias you against us, though, I assure you we're not all bad folks.
 20th of Sep, 2009 by   starfall56 +3 Votes
Regular POS assoicates have no way to look up a bar code in Kohl's stores. In fact, they aren't even trained to use the computer with which you can look up the information. That fact does not excuse her balant disregard for good customer service. I hope you complained to the manager! She was correct in calling a floor associate to check for another bag (there may have been some in the back). Her next step should have been to call customer service since they can look up the bag on the computer there.

My advice to you is to go directly to customer service next time you find an unmarked item and bypass POS. Bring it up as soon as you find it and the assoicate there will look it up while you contiune shopping (sometimes it can take awhile to find the right thing... afterall we don't want to overcharge you!) The customer service associate will usually just ring up your purchases right at the service desk when you are done shopping.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience at your local Kohl's! You should speak to the manager there, and I'm sure they will do their best to fix the problems that you encountered. At Kohl's we are all about customer service, we WANT you to have a good shopping experience.
 14th of Dec, 2009 by   akcyberswimmer -1 Votes
I placed the same order 2 times since the kohls black friday disaster online and 2 times my order was cancelled with out my knowledge. the funds were not realesed back to my card until I asked . The 2 nd time i placed the order by phone with a supervisor. still canceled, I would not be this mad except that order was christmas gifts for my small grandbabys and now alot of what i orderd is sold out!
what kind of place are they runnig when they cant even keep thier own website running on the buisiest shopping day of the year? and when people finnaly get to order it is cancelled?
i am so disgusted with this and sick to my stomache with worry about how to still find the gifts in time I cant think straight! what a disgusting practice ! good luck to any to dare try to order from this messed up place !!!

very dissatisfied customer
 14th of Dec, 2009 by   Ginger Kid 0 Votes
As soon as you verified no bar code, you should have said, "Oh, my mistake. This is the purse I walked in here with."

Then get in your car with your new purse and head home!

And if you set the sensor off, tell the loss prevention officer that the item wasn't for sale. I bet Kohl's would come up with a price for it then.
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   Lauren Hill 0 Votes
I've been a customer at Kohls ever since it came out. I haven't had any disappointments with Kohls yet until today. I have been looking for some trapper hats/beanie for my cold weather collection. I happened to see this really cute beanie on Kohls' website but this item is no longer available online. So I called up the nearest Kohls' store to ask them to look it up for me. This customer service rep put me on hold because there was 4 people waiting for her. Her name is Brenda by the way. Okay, that's fine. I don't mind. When she came back, she was laughing hysterically. I wonder what was so funny about me being on hold for 10 minutes. Anyway, I told her the UPC code and asked her to look up which store has the item. She told me Santa Ana store has one. Then I told her to transfer me to the department so I can ask somebody to look for it and put it on hold for me. She refused and said "it's only a beanie, and it's on clearance, we don't ask our associates to look for clearance items like this. They have better things to do. If you want it, you have to drive to the store yourself and look for it yourself." I was like, WTF??? Why would I drive all the way to the store to buy a beanie that I'm not sure it's even there to begin with? Isn't that the reason why I called first to make sure it's there????????? Hello, moron?????? So I told her that I wasn't asking her to look for it, I wanted her to transfer me to that department, that's all I was asking. She again said, "No, I will not transfer me to the department. You have to drive to the store and look for it yourself." So I was like, "Okay, so can you transfer me to the supervisor instead?" She put me on hold for the supervisor, supposedly. I was waiting and waiting forever and no one there. So I hang up and redialed and she was on the phone again. I asked her happened to the supervisor, and this time she managed to put me through. I'm not sure it's the real supervisor or not but his name is Shane. I explained to him what happened. He was like, "oh ok, so what is it that you're looking for again?" I told him I was looking for this beanie and he immediately told me that the whole store doesn't have any winter items. He insisted over and over again that his store doesn't have any beanie. For some reason, I can't seem to believe that.

It seems to me they don't want to waste time looking for small items. Maybe if it were a 2-karat diamond ring I was looking for, I would have had more help. I actually spent a lot of money on Kohls over the years. There were time I bought big ticket items and there is time such as this when I'm only focused on a specific item in mind. Regardless, whether assisting customer with small help or big help, it's good customer service. So what if I'm looking for something $10? Next time, I might buy something $1000. You never know you you offended. So they don't want to look for a $10 beanie for me and ask me to drive to the store to look for $10 beanie, why would I do that? I don't mind driving to the store for a $10 beanie if it's going to be there waiting for me. But why would I drive to every Kohls store to look for a $10 beanie? Which is more convenient? Me wasting time and gas money to drive to the store to look for $10 or Kohls for wasting maximum 5 minutes to look at the hats department and let me know whether they have it or not????

I'm discouraged to buy anything from Kohls ever again. Even if I buy, I'll make sure I buy something that's $5 or less and it's better worth every single penny. Thanks Kohls for having such a rude and discriminative customer service practice.
 17th of May, 2010 by   Aidan +1 Votes
No, Martinis. It's not. Good customer service applies to every associate in the store. The customer should be able to walk up to ANY associate and ask for assistance, and be greeted with a smile. So no, the associate was in the wrong.
 22nd of Jul, 2010 by   Aidan +1 Votes
No, you're wrong. Do you really think Kohl's reads this? No, they don't. I doubt sincerely they took the time to 'complain' to the corporate office. All this customer is doing is alerting their fellow consumers to the experience they had at the store.

And you know what? You're exactly the kind of person that would have done what that associate did. The associate did nothing to help the customer. Clearly the cashier didn't call anyone, or the customer here would have said something about that here.

You need to stop judging everyone under the pretense that they are you, and are trying to screw you over. Sometimes, customers just want other people to be warned what they might experience.
 25th of Jul, 2010 by   Aidan +1 Votes
Haha. Dude. I work retail every day of my life. That's my job. I understand exactly how rude customers can get. But that in no way means we have the right to not do our job. The job that they pay us to do.

Yeah. People want something for nothing. Yeah. It pisses me off all the time.

But you know what? Kohl's promises the best customer service. It's motto is 'Yes We Can'. You know what that means? It means the customer can come to ANY associate at ANY time for ANY reason. And we will greet them with a smile. And we will get them what they need. Whether that means picking up the phone and calling a department, because we don't know how to help them, or if it means calling a manager, because they need something we're not comfortable giving them.

And no. The associate didn't do their job. Because if they did, the customer would not be here complaining. All that associate had to do was pick up the phone and dial the number for the intercom, page the department, and ask them to find some numbers for the item the customer wanted.

I think you're in the wrong line of business. Go find a job where you don't have to deal with the public, because it's associates like you that make me want to punch people.
 2nd of Aug, 2010 by   Aidan +1 Votes
If you're done speaking to me, then why are you still responding? Don't be a child.

I have a great life. Clearly, you have the issues, or why would you be so petty and rude to people that clearly have genuine complaints?
 5th of Sep, 2010 by   D.Justice -1 Votes
Caramelxx is right. Kohls won't miss you or me or even caramelxx. Kohls won't miss anybody it treats wrong or unfairly until we all decide to stop shopping there. Is'nt that what happened to Ventures (which was alot like Target) back in the days. It's happening to K-Mart right now. When you are feedup with poor customer service and want to be treated right for every hard earned penny you have... STOP SHOPPING WHERE YOU WILL NOT BE RESPECTED!

Caramelxx, I'm from WI, the home of Kohls and they have a history of treating some, I repeat "some" of their customers as second class shoppers. I'm not for sure, but it's kind'a like they brain wash all of their employees to pick and choice who will get the best service. Some would call it racial profiling, age discrimination, teen control... the list can go on and on and on of who Kohls does not want shopping their stores. They only want one kind of customer and it's sad to say, but Lauren you're not it, I'm sure I'm not it, and Caramelxx... one day you might not be it either.

Let Kohls have Kohls and let everyone else move on to a place where you, I, we can be respected!
 29th of Sep, 2010 by   Sotra 0 Votes
None of this conversation addresses the fact that Kohl's does not thoroughly train its associates for matters such as this. While you mentioned the corporate mindset composed of greeting customers with a smile and the attitude of "Yes We Can, " you failed to mention that that is also basically the limit of the actual training process. After that, people are usually just put on registers or whatever other function in the store they are assigned, and left to figure it out for themselves and learn from their mistakes, as the cashier in this account may have been. Note that I say "function in the store they are assigned" rather than "are deemed fit for." What I mean by that is this: I have tried to find POS training materials for Kohl's stores on the Web, hoping that past employees disheartened by this lack of training might post it for newer people in the same situation, but unfortunately I have not seen much information about the POS system, but more representative of what I've seen has been the suggestion that Kohl's management deliberately puts new employees in situations they are uncomfortable in, one past employee even saying as a way to rule over employees through intimidation. I don't say it's entirely true, but I have had some experiences as a new associate that are consistent with that assessment.
 2nd of Oct, 2010 by   Aidan 0 Votes
I disagree, Sotra. I feel, and perhaps this is just my store, but I feel like we do a thorough job training our associates. Yes, some of them may be placed in locations and jobs they're not comfortable with, but we're willing to work with them. I know that one of our associates has moved around to many of the available jobs in the store. If you're willing to make an effort, Kohl's is willing to work with you.

Why would there be training materials for Kohl's POS associates on the web? What part of the job is difficult to grasp? It's very self explanatory. And what isn't explained is common sense...

I'm very confused as to what 'lack of training' you're referring to.
 16th of Nov, 2012 by   AnonymousKohls 0 Votes
I recently had a situation take place at Kohl's where a customer came up to checkout and I asked her if she was going to be using a Kohl's charge today, she said "no." So I asked her if she would like to sign up for a Kohl's charge and she said "Well do I get anything off if I do"? I said "Yes you will get a percent off." So she said OK and than I asked her to fill out the application. Upon completion I asked for her drivers license and she asked why? I told her that I needed to verify who she was for her protection. Once it was approved she asked so this is a credit card, I said yes but only for Kohl's Department stores. She than got very upset as she said she thought it was just a "Coupon Card" when she clearly knew that it was a credit card from our conversation and just by the simple fact that she had to fill out an application with her social security number. So she complained and I had to write a statement which I was only provided a piece of lined paper and 5 minutes to do so. The HR lady at my store said that she was going to submit it and that I had the potential to lose my job over this. I did everything to ensure that the customer was satisfied however I was manipulated and tricked as all she wanted to do was get the 30% off and then make a scene to make it loOK like she did not give consent for it though she signed??

What do I do now?
 16th of Nov, 2012 by   Sotra 0 Votes
That sounds consistent with my experience as a seasonal hire.

As for the person saying the POS system is "self explanatory" and "common sense, " I wonder if you actually were in that position before and are just all talk, or perhaps you're a luckier regular employee who got the full training, or a bad employee who doesn't care if you do things right.

Are you really suggesting that it's common sense to know the specific policies, even differing store to store, for example if someone is paying by check as far as stamping it with the machine, how the keyboard functions may be different in one location from another; how to contact a specific department (usually unavailable) for an item without a UCP; how to answer questions about specific locations; how to keep an angry line waiting behind an unruly customer like the one just mentioned, even when you are directed to wait for a supervisor who is unavailable for an unspecified time; which coupon specials are in effect each week; the ridiculous pressure they put on cashiers to sign people up for cards and email lists as if we are responsible for whether people actually decide to do it; even the regular process of putting cash in the register and collecting it at the end of a shift or during one; these are just a handful of the multitude of things a cashier had better do right, so I'm in disbelief you question the idea of having it written down somewhere just to study,

I for one am glad to be out of that situation. The seasonal hire situation in this economic crisis is very close to legal slavery, disallowing so much as a drink if it isn't in your 15 minutes for a six hour or less day, half an hour for longer in a location that is at least that long away from any decent place to eat, forcing one to eat in that horrible break room with refrigerators loaded with rot. And keeping one's belongings in lockers that contained god-knows-what before it was assigned to you.

With regard to this ability of stores like Kohl's to get away with such activity, I hope when the economy finally improves, that their own fifteen minutes will be up.

Traps & Techniques For Depriving Travelers Of Their Identity