logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
binary.com
This company still hasn’t paid me full sum
2. (24 mins ago)
A crooked Company

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Kodak ESP-3 All in one printer Complaints & Reviews - Printer Cartridge - Fradulant Advertising

Kodak ESP-3 All in one printer Contacts & Informations

Kodak ESP-3 All in one printer

Posted:    JusticeWillPrevail

Printer Cartridge - Fradulant Advertising

Kodak
After seeing commercials for the Kodak ESP-3 printer in the fall of 2009 I checked the ink costs and purchased one. I used it very little and at aproximately 4 months of ownership the printer said it was out of color ink. Even though there was black ink left and it had printed fine the last time I used it, the printer locked itself in standby mode. I found this very suspicious and took apart the ink cartidge to find all of the sponges damp with ink (enough to stain my fingers). I contacted Kodak where I was instructed to purchase a new color cartridge, well the printer wasn't happy and I also had to purchase a black cartridge as well. I also checked into refilling the cartridges and found they are electronically disabled to prevent future use. After installing new cartridges I disabled all color printing through control panel/print options (Jan). March 3rd 2010 I wanted to print two photos and went in my settings to allow color printing. Even though the new color cartridge had never been used the graphic shows that 1/4 of the color ink is gone which is the exact amount of black ink gone. After I printed the two photos it dropped even more and once again I have suspended color printing. It is my opinion that these printers are programmed to report false ink levels to the consumer to ensure the sale of Ink cartridges. The fact that they advertise how they will save you money is a fraudulant claim. After contacting Kodak via phone and email I could find no help on how to reactivate a disabled cartridge if it was refilled or still had ink left. It is easy to see that the printer isnt monitoring ink levels at all or a refilled cartridge would work the same as a new one. After reviewing all literature available at the time of purchase no where does Kodak inform its consumer of this deceptive strategy.
Comments United States Computers & Accessories
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Mar, 2010 by   JusticeWillPrevail 0 Votes
After submitting a copy of the above complaint to Kodak I was contacted with in four hours and offered to upgrade to the Kodak ESP 3250. Kodak is also sending extra ink cartridges, 4X6 photo paper, and a postage paid box to return the ESP - 3. Although they admit no guilt in this matter and feel I may have a faulty print head. They did acknowledge that there cartridges are deactivated to prevent future use. In a few months I will post any information I have found on the 3250.
 12th of Apr, 2010 by   jjbcool 0 Votes
I purchased a Kodak ESP 9 in Dec. 09. I have some of the same problems. I purchased the brand to save money on ink, but I too find the ink running out way too soon. This printer is only used at home and not that often. I believe these printers are DEFECTIVE. Every time I replace an ink cartridge the print quality is terrible OR nothing prints at all. Each time I replace the ink cartridge and have this problem I call Kodak and they say I need a NEW print head. They have something very faulty with the print head in this product. I think they should be recalled.
 2nd of Jun, 2010 by   nrj1 0 Votes
I purchased a Kodak Esp 3 and have had multiple problems with ink levels. The latest issue is now it won't work at all because it is reading that there is no ink. I have used just as much ink as any other printer. I do not recomend these printers. Too many problems!
 5th of Oct, 2010 by   Ti Phillips 0 Votes
I too agree with the deceptive reading on the amount of ink left in the cartridge. I purchased the Kodak ESP 3250 for the features and the advertised ink usage. I print all of my work on quick print to keep from using up ink. I haven't used the color in at all, but the ink levels are not correct. The black states 3/4 empty, and have only printed 18 pieces of paper on quick print. The color states I'm out, but I have never used it.

Recall these printers Kodak, if you want loyal customers to stay with you.
 10th of Oct, 2010 by   Unhappy in New York 0 Votes
I agree with this complaint. I have never owned such a terrible printer. I wish we got to use if for four moths. We bought this printer so when we got back from Florida we could print up all the pictures we took. But the end result was a bunch of pictures that had nothing but lines going through them. This was the worst purchase i can say we have ever bought. We were actually told while purchasing a new cell phone that there was a recall on this printer, however when we went online to get the information we found out that it wasnt' true. We just don't know what to do with this piece of crap!
 17th of Oct, 2010 by   lucysmommy 0 Votes
I have had a Kodak ESP3 All in One Printer for almost a year now and have had similar problems as the other posts indicate: mostly that the photos had horizontal lines and people with dark hair ended up with white hair in the photo I printed. I called Kodak today and the rep is sending me a new (Re-Certified) printer. He said I have a hardware problem. The replacement printer is at no charge to me via UPS shipping. Re-certified, according to the rep, means that it was a store display model returned to Kodak to make sure everything still works.
 20th of Oct, 2010 by   Martin Marth 0 Votes
I too have the same amount of problems with esp-3, I've contacted kodak which has acknowledged they would replace the the printer. The printer completely stop working after I spoke to support over the phone. My understanding is that it is still under warranty.I sent by fax the receipt of purchase and still kodak has not commented as to what kodak will do about it.maybe nothing. The color red stopped working. and then all it will do is turn on and nothing after that
 27th of Oct, 2010 by   billyjoe_gd 0 Votes
I have found the same issues with my ESP3. I thought I was just confused that the ink went so fast, that maybe we've printed more than we knew. But after reading this complaint board I now know its not a mistake. My printer wont even come on, it tries to start up but then just shuts off while the black ink light blinks red. I always print on quick print. I'm going to see if a new cartridge will fix it, then see how long and how much we print before it goes out.
 12th of Nov, 2010 by   llw10 0 Votes
I'm having the same issues with the ESP 3. I have owned it for a couple years, and while the price of the ink is right, ($14 for color, $10 for black, ) I found myself buying the carts more often. So is there really a savings? I don't think so. Now I am having terrible banding and missing lines issues. Went through all of the maintenance functions, and customer support, (which told me I couldn't fix it myself.) I dislike not having a reliable printer- it is time to move on. No more Kodak for me. They had the right idea, they just didn't actually do what they promised. Maybe a laser printer is the answer?
 14th of Nov, 2010 by   gragsdale 0 Votes
I have just replaced my color ink cartridge in ESP 5250 but it still shows that I need to replace color cartridge. I have made sure that new cartridge is making contact with the 2 little pins as per instructions, but still does not work. The thing is I have not printed a page sense I have been trying to install new color cartridge and my black ink has gone from a 1/2 of a cartridge to empty and needs replacing. Disassembled both cartridges and found that I still had a teaspoon of ink left in black and same with old color cartridge. This proves that there was still a good bit of ink left. So I went and bought a new color cartridge for my 5 year old Lexmark X5070 and went to printing without any troubles. The X5070 has had no telling how many cartridges replaced and printed 1000's of pages (Old Reliable).
This is my first and last Kodak printer. The ESP 5250 has just went in the trash-the perfect way to solve the Kodak problem. I will not buy another cartridge.
 17th of Jan, 2011 by   candigrlme 0 Votes
I too have the same problem. I recently purchased a new ink cartridge and only printed 30 pages before the ink was gone. This printer does not print the 400 pages that it reports. I believe that this is fraud and that Kodak should replace my printer.
 6th of Feb, 2011 by   John Newman 0 Votes
When I notified the firm's tech support branch they avoided commenting on the subject of my Email [fraudulent advertising as noted by the first poster to this comment section]. I then wrote both the CEO and copied the Service Manager. The latter called and rather than admit the ESP3250 was designed as reported, offered to send free ink supplies. Had such been received I would have used them up and then returned to my customary $40.00 Cannon printer choice [when it went dry I simply trashed is and bought another at Walmart]. However, when the printer refused to print in black [with a brand new black cartridge in place] unless I also purchased a color one as well my decision to bring it back to Walmart for a credit as a form of retaliation for yet another manufacturer's effort to deceive to unload inventory with what I describe as an: undisclosed Trojan Horse caveat attached.
 4th of Mar, 2011 by   rlwilliams 0 Votes
I also purchased a kodak esp-3 printer in 2009 or 2010 to save money on ink cartridges as per kodak's advertisements. The quality of the pictures has never been good and the ink cartridges do not last for any length of time. Cannot print 30 or 40 color prints without getting an out of ink status and printer shuts down. The last cartridges I purchased didn't give me but 10 printouts before I got an "out of ink" indication. I think the printer is incorrectly monitoring the cartridges, because the ink is still moist on the cartridge heads. These are worthless printers. I will never buy another Kodak printer.
 7th of Mar, 2011 by   axelgs1 0 Votes
I agree with all the above. I have a ESp 7 it tells me my ink has run out. I can not use any of the other facilities until I replace the ink carts. This is supposed to be an ALL IN ONE PRINTER! but it isnt its a printer that forces you to but carts before you can use the other actions, like scanning, photo display, ect. Its like customer blackmail and I beleive it contravenes The Trades Discriptions Act here in the UK. I am writing to the Managing Director of KODAK UK for answers and I will keep you informed of his replies.

Andy
 13th of Apr, 2011 by   fedude 0 Votes
I am a Kodak employee. I worked in the printer division for over 30 years. When I needed a printer I bought 2 of the 5100 printers because I believe the hype over the reduced ink costs. But I must say I'm embarrassed not only by the poor quality of the product but by the level of service and support. George Eastman would be turning over in his grave. I just spent over an hour on the chat with a service rep to order me a replacement cartridge. An hour! Really? I have a drawer full of defective cartridges that still have ink but will not allow me to use. I'm sorry to say I have no more faith in the company or their products.
 21st of Apr, 2011 by   bjp67 0 Votes
i purchased an ESP5 product in september and haven't been able to get a minimum of 20 good printed pages out of it yet. they sent me a new printerhead which hasn't helped. the cartridges run out of ink well before they should. i have bought a lot of computer accessories in my 67 years and a lot of kodak products. all in all, their service is lousy, and their products are even worse. they will never get another dime of my business and i pray others will be forewarned about what to expect when dealing with the illustrious kodak folks! a total waste of $150.
 26th of Apr, 2011 by   Vgolfmaster 0 Votes
I too fell victim to Kodak's advertising and thought that I finally found a solution to the monopolistic approach that other printer manufacturers have taken. Unfortunately, it did not take me long to find out that there products do not deliver anywhere near what their advertisements promise. I have a Kodak ESP3250, and found that when a cartridge times out and displays the low ink warning, you are unable to print at all. I can not even print in black and white if the color cartridge shows empty. A call to Kodak was dreadfully unsuccessful in getting me any answers, and they are protecting at all costs their methodology of determining how and when the cartridges display the low ink warning. I can't wait for the class action suit to be filed, I have lots of information to supply in the cause against them.
 26th of Apr, 2011 by   Vgolfmaster 0 Votes
One more update...

As a completely unsatisfied customer, and being so displeased with the answers I received from the customer service department as well as from Judith Goonan (Director of Customer Relations), I decided to take matters into my own hands.

Seems Kodak uses a very standard E-mail format of firstname.lastname@kodak.com. This format also works for other Kodak employees, including their Executives:

I followed up with each and every Executive via E-mail, and am finally getting some attention on this situation and have the wheels in motion to getting some answers.

If you are having poor success with the Kodak customer service channels, I highly recommend this technique to get some answers. Perhaps flooding the Executives with unanswered complaints and demanding some changes will put the wheels of change in motion a bit quicker than standard customer service channels allow.

to be continued...
 26th of Apr, 2011 by   zip37602 0 Votes
Kodak esp3250 is a total waste of money. It has yet to print my first picture or text. I bought new ink cart to no avail. This is my very last Kodak purchase period. Shame on you kodak for misrepresenting your product. Be warned, Kodak will rob you blind!
 28th of Apr, 2011 by   jane lee 0 Votes
I have the ESP Office 6150. Ink ran out much faster than my old Lexmark. I print a lot of B&W pages but only occasional color pages. The color cartridge kept noisily alarming and flashing "low ink level" and the B&W printouts were streaky . Bought new black cartridge and planned to avoid color pages to save ink. However you can't print B&W without color cartridge because part of the black comes from the color cartridge. After a new B&W cartridge print was still streaky. So even though I had hardly used it I had to buy a new color cartridge to get any printing done. Really disappointed with Kodak. Quality of color printing is poor also-even with new cartridge - and this printer is supposed to be one of their top line.
AVOID KODAK PRINTERS