logo

Rooms Furniture & Accessories
Rooms Furniture & Accessories
3. (8 mins ago)
EZ Body Slimmer
Need to bring back the original ingredients!!!!
4. (13 mins ago)
Charges after the cancellation

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

Kirby, Portland, Oregon Complaints & Reviews - Scam and abuse!

Kirby Contacts & Informations

Kirby

Posted:    Valerie

Scam and abuse!

Kirby
Sandy Blvd
Portland, Oregon
www.kirby.com
I was recently bombarded by a couple of Kirby sales people. They asked me if I wanted a room in my home to be shampooed for free. Of course, I said yes, thinking that they were a new carpet cleaning company in the area. I let them into my home, then they started a demo of the Kirby. I admit this is a good product but I don't think it is the ONLY product. The sales rep said that if he sells the most vacuums then he gets a Rolex watch and a trip to somewhere outside of the US. After about an hour and 40 coffee filters on my floor, I wanted the vacuum-it was a good cleaning product. He told me the price-$2499. I told him it was too much and he 'called' his manager, on my phone by the way!!! Very rude tactic.. The 'manager' took off $100. Then I told him that was too much. He called the manager back and offered me $2300.00. I told them that I had to shop and compare other models and price points. They told me that the price was the lowest and if I bought it later it would be for the 2499 price. I wrote a check, then the next day stopped payment and canceled my transaction.

The smarmy sales guy, the canvasser, tried to shame me for canceling the contract. He tried to shame me for causing his sales person to be eliminated from the contest. I say shame on you, kirby for teaching these people these underhanded, dishonest, and classless sales tactics. The reps must let people make up their own minds on their own terms. Because of this awful encounter with the Kirby people/products I will never consider a Kirby vacuum. I am also shocked that with the way your sales reps misrepresent themselves and the product that anyone has ever bought a Kirby!!!
Comments United States Products & Services
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

9th of Sep, 2008 by   Lisa 0 Votes
I agree with this person 100%. But however I was on the other end I WAS THE SELLER! I WAS THE RECRUITER for the Kirby company. They made me tell people that if they do so many demos a month you get paid a certain amount. And the bonuses and vactions we give away are wonderful ect. They all feed you a line of BS! So for every one out there DO NOT WORK OR BUY OR ANYTHING FROM KIRBY!!! The only people that work for them are liars and cheats who can't get a job anywhere else.
 12th of Nov, 2008 by   myspaceprofiles-hater 0 Votes
Kirby is a huge pile of lies. Kirby is a scam. Kirby is a legal pyramid scheme. First of all when you go in you don't even know what you are applying for. They continue to tell you that you will be a telephone receptionist, who only recieves calls from people interested in buying the Kirby. Totally untrue. Over the next few days you will be brainwashed by the employer. They make you memorize forceful and decietful sales tactics. You learn how to operate the Kirby and present it to other people. Then they tell you that you will make $1200 dollars a week if you go to 15 houses per week that have applied for a presentation and present the Kirby to them. The thing is they only give you 1 or 2 actual appointments per day totalling 6-10 per week. Think about it, going to work for an entire week, working your butt off, putting in 13 and 14 hour days everyday except Sunday, going into complete strangers homes, forcing them to buy this product (most wont), and then coming home with no paycheck. In order to get paid you MUST do at LEAST 15 per week. If you want to get your full 15 presentations for the week you have to do door to door sales knocking yourself in. You MUST give the person answering the door a free gift (which you have to pay for ranging from $5-$20 ). The Kirby costs less than $200 dollars to make, but they charge over $2000 for it!!! The 10 fold profit goes into the pocket of the people selling it. The person selling it gets like $300 per unit sold (at most, and only if the person buying has perfect credit and hands you cash or a check), their manager gets $300, their manager gets $500, and their manager gets $700. The dude in charge of it all sits back and lets all the little people do all the hard work while he is raking in a huge percentage of the dough! They will negotiate the price down to $1000 (enough to not pay the guy selling it and his manager) even when the starting price was over $2000!!!
There is so much more to it, this is just the tip of the iceburg on the lies and deciet for this company.
Don't get me wrong the vacuum is a GREAT product
But the people in charge behind the scenes are horribly decieving in the recruitment of new salespeople and the manner in which they conduct their business.
Takehome message, do not work for Kirby, they just feed you lies.
If you want to buy a Kirby, don't buy it for $2000, tell them a friend told you that it only costs $200 to make and watch the look on their face. If you really want it spend a max of $1000 on it.
 8th of Jan, 2009 by   Savi -1 Votes
I definitely went through the same experience, except there were 2 men at the door and one was a trainee. I sat there and let them do their little demo all the while paying attention to the trainee. He was quiet which was total opposite of his "trainer" but the trainer was pleasant; if he was anything other, I would've have kicked him out right then and there. Anyways, during the demo, I asked at least 3 times for what the going price for and they wanted to wait until they were done. So, at the end of the demo, we sat down and I asked about the price for the Kirby, he says, $2, 300.00. I apologized to them for wasting their time and thanked them for cleaning my carpet. The Trainer says hold on, let me go talk to my dad (his business partner) and leaves the trainee there while he runs outside! I sat at the table with the young man and asked how he liked his job, he just nods his head, hung it for a second and said, it's a job and if you could only see the look on his face! He looked like he wanted to tell me something and then his trainer walks in and says he'd drop it down to 2 grand. I look at the trainee, same look. Told his trainer, no thanks. He drops it again to 1, 600. I say no and he tells me he will make me a deal, trade in my Dyson and he will sell me the kirby for 1, 200. I told him No! Too much money and besides the Dyson was a gift from my husband!

Here's the icing on the cake and I'm pretty sure, you may remember this but I bet that they have also told you... Don't tell ANYONE about this, because if they find out, they're going to be pissed and I may loose my job! I couldn't help but play along! In my mind I thought, if this was so top secret, why you telling me in front of your trainee?!? Anyways, he dropped it to a thousand so I played that off because it didn't make sense as to how he dropped the price to more then 50%!!! I told him I would have to talk to my husband about it since he was on his way home. Before I could finish dialing, he offered the vacuum for 800.00! I bought it and I also think it's a great product, just wished they didn't have to be so scandalous about it! So from this experience I have learned to ask many questions if I m interested in the product or just politely refuse it at the door!

*** So, I say, if you resist a bit more and at the same time show interest, you can talk them down price wise, but if it is more than a thousand, I would not buy it! Be firm about it and don't let them talk you into biying it for more than a thousand!
 4th of Feb, 2009 by   Chris -1 Votes
MESSAGE FROM THE UK>>>>>>

I Started working for kirby as a sales man or "dealer" as they call it! This is my second day with them and i have left! Its all lies and they feed you all this "you WILL get £50000 about $75000 a year in 12 months time" if you work up the pyramid! They also asked us today to go away this weekend and sell to our familys, thats right rip off our familys, and the best thing was we could offer it for half price thats still £1350 or about $2000+, thats sooooooo horrible selling a rip off product to my own family!!! If i didnt sell to my family i would make no money!
They also asked if anyone the previous night had warned us or said bad things about them, i said yes! They then told me my dad and girlfriend know nothing and they are stupid! Thats when i left immidatly!!!

PLEASE DONT WORK FOR KIRBY IN US OR UK, AS SAID ABOVE THEY GO UNDER OTHER COMPANY NAMES SO PEOPLE DONT RECOGNISE THEM, THE COMPANY I WORKED FOR WAS CALLED TNL, THEY ARE ALL SCAM ARTISTS!!!
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   MJS -1 Votes
I agree about the pressure. The salesman who came to my door also was there an hour longer than he was supposed to be. He was very polite and professional, but also tried like crazy to get me to buy. I'm totally convinced that the product is everything they say it is. It did a fabulous job pulling sand, dirt and debris out of my carpet and upholstery. However, I also believe the strong suction power (which was touted as 3 times stronger than the average vacuum) tore a 5-inch gash in the seam of my couch which is a month shy of 2 years old. (Coincidentally, my 9-year old couch is still in great shape for its age - no rips, tears, splitting seams, or gashes.)

Does anyone out there have damage to upholstery due to the strength of the Kirby vacuum? They are not returning my calls regarding paying for the damage that was done to my practically new couch.
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   MJS -1 Votes
Agree with pressure and scam tactics and lack of responsibility for causing damage to upholstery caused by the strong suction power of the Kirby vaccum.
 24th of Apr, 2009 by   mrsquigles 0 Votes
"The sales rep said that if he sells the most vacuums then he gets a Rolex watch and a trip to somewhere outside of the US."
How is that supposed to make a customer give a shit?

"he 'called' his manager, on my phone by the way!!!"
That's how they get your phone number!

"They told me that the price was the lowest and if I bought it later it would be for the 2499 price."
Oldest trick in thebook.

"I wrote a check, then the next day stopped payment and canceled my transaction."
Brilliant! Screw those assholes.
 20th of May, 2009 by   slash -1 Votes
I just bought a Kirby in New Zealand, i should have read all your comments earlier...anyway here is my story. The salesman came into our house with his manager after saying they were going to shampoo one of our rooms for free.

I'm actually a salesman, retailer and importer and can basically sell ice to an eskimo, i know what most things cost ot make so they really did come knocking at the wrong door...

After the demo he wanted $4600 for the Kirby, i said piss off i could rip out my carpet and it replaced for that price, the salesman just looked t me with his mouth open. i said come back to me with a real price. He went down to $3000, still no, then he rang his manager who said $2600. I said stop messing around and spoke to the guy on the phone, as i got sick and tired relaying wht i was saying to the sales rep to the guy on the phone.,

Anyway i told the guy on hte phone i didn't want to send more the $1000 on a machine, i made up a story that my wife had just lost her job...he offered me a demo model for $1000 with a full warrenty and all the attachments. hopefully i made the right move.

worse comes to worse i'll flick it off to some other poor sap
 26th of Jul, 2009 by   IHATELIAR -2 Votes
dont buy im only 15 and these guys are ass holes, they came to my house like nothing, then force us to buy the kirby, man i would kill them if im over 18 im serious, , i live in CONNECTICUT, SO ANY OF U KIRBY COME AGAIN I FUCK YO HOLE FACE UP U BITCH
 6th of Sep, 2009 by   You are all dumb asses 0 Votes
Kirby never forced you to buy anything you just have a weak mind or I guess your parents do whoever bought it if you didn't want it you shouldn't have bought it
 23rd of Sep, 2009 by   VectorCalculus -1 Votes
I have worked for Kirby for about a week. The only that the Kirby people keep telling you is that you are going to be a millionaire by selling Kirby vacuumcleaners. Kirby, the place where millionaires are born. That phrase can be found everywhere at a distributors office.

Fact is, the Kirby company is based on lying. Kirby dealers will tell you everything in order for you to buy a Kirby. They are trained in telling lies.

As a vacuumcleaner, the Kirby is a pretty decent machine. But is not worth the $2000 that Kirby want you to pay for it.

My advise: Do NOT buy a Kirby.
 25th of Sep, 2009 by   ready to shoot -1 Votes
Excuse me, but I also must join the long lists of complaints on the internet about the pushy, unethical and brainwashing technics I was experiencing. First the bell rings, and since we live in a secluded woody area, I went to the door, and there was a man and a woman telling me they are going to clean my carpets for five Dollars a piece. I told them immediatly I am not interested, because the 2rooms that are carpeted, are not being used, and they were just recently cleaned. I frankly believed they were a cleaning company, and they tried to convince me that their method was better. Was I ever wrong!!! The moment they put foot into my house the pushy, disgusting sales technic started. Over and over, I said NO, NO, No, I am not interested . Then the brainwashing tactic started, how good the vaccum is, better than any other and the pressure went on and on. They involved even my companion, and extracted a check of $1.124 and my lawn mower tractord(only 3 years old) as a trade in and a check for another $ 1.000.00 to cover the 3.000.00 Dollars Kirby Vaccum. In the end I felt so highly uncomfortable that I went into my bedroom to avoid listening any more. The door was closed, when this idiot of a person came without knocking into my bedroom and continued the pressurise me further. There was a lot of unethical behaviour going on, and I just wanted them out of my house. I am retired, my age is 85. Can there be an excuse for all this?
I called the police the next day and an officer came to the house and took all the info. The sales was canceled in the given time. I wrote letters to the Southeast Association in Kissimee, Fl. that I wanted my lawn mower tractor and the check for $1.000.00 returned. They could not cash my companions check because he didn't have enough money in his checking account. So he didn't lose anything. The vacuum still sits in my house. What to do? Could I take them to small claims court? I am in very poor health, fassing spine surgery in October. Can anyone out there give me a bit of advice? I know, I know, don't open the door. Well hindsight is 20/20. Thank you for reading my story.
 16th of Oct, 2009 by   kirbyrecruiter +1 Votes
Im a recruiter for kirby...if the dealer reps are unethical it is all on them, everyone that works for kirby is an independent contractor. ive been with the company since i was 18 and any sales is a tough job. ive outworked everyone around me and never had to be pushy...the kirby will sell itself..to the lady that bought a kirby..u can take them to small claims court and get your tractor and check returned..what would work more effectivley and faster is to contact kirby...not just the distributorship you purchased from...there number is on the bag...call it and they will assist you or they would take away the distributor ship..best of luck to you...
 4th of Nov, 2009 by   whoknows222 -1 Votes
THESE PEOPLE ARE CREEPY SCARY! DO NOT OPEN YOUR DOOR TO THEM!
I don't know anything about the product but the people are incredibly creepy...I answered the door while by husband was gone thinking it was our landlords children, the next thing I know this guy is in the middle of kitchen asking if he can take a shot of liquor that was on my counter...after telling him NO he asked how to get to our landlords house and offer edto buy me beer and I still told him no..When he finally left the car was still running and full of people...I am surprised he didn't kill us! He of course had to come back to get the free bottle of cleaner he left behind and he noted how I had myself all locked in the house...I definitley loaded the shotgun after that..Thank god he never came back
 29th of Nov, 2009 by   gc3000 +1 Votes
I worked for Kirby for two weeks. It felt like two years. I actually sold a few, I think three, but I felt horrible doing it. They taught us to drive through neighborhoods, looking for Hondas or other Asian cars (apparently you have better luck selling over-priced gadgets to Asian families) which immediately struck me as wrong - did I go to college to be out in the world, racially profiling, trying to rip off Asian families? They also targeted middle to lower income neighborhoods. It had something to do with the fact that rich people don't buy crap from people who knock on their doors, but also they figured out how to prey on people's weaknesses. I guess people with less money are paradoxically more inclined to feel special when they purchase something, especially something shiny and wonderful and expensive, as presented by the friendly Kirby guy. I felt genuinely awful after a day at Kirby. I got yelled at a lot, I did all the sleazy stuff they teach you to do at the training center. Like I said, I sold a few. I didn't make any money, though - there is some kind of training period, which means you aren't eligible for the commissions until after you sell 10 or 15, which is next to impossible for anyone with a conscience. Anyway, it was a sad, horrible experience for everyone involved, and I shudder to think that these people are still preying on young college students for their sleazy sales force, and intimidating elderly people. The stories of people getting ripped off or robbed outright make me even sadder, although I'm thankful I wasn't personally involved in something like that. But it creeped me out and depressed me enough to quit and start waiting tables. Hustling hot wings doesn't seem like such a bad thing after Kirby. Best advice, steer clear of all of it.
 29th of Nov, 2009 by   Long Dong -1 Votes
Way off base.

Grow up!
 30th of Nov, 2009 by   Reality checkerboard -1 Votes
my cousin worked for kirby for a couple of weeks maybe a month. I remember he said he found a new job selling something but he didn't know what. He went to a training seminar and was set up with some equipment. He was also told that he was guaranteed a weekly paycheck. he was told to schedule appointments with potential clients to give them a demo by "cleaning their carpets" ( he was told to call the demo a carpet cleaning even though they have no actual business in cleaning carpets other than manufacturing a vacuum). He would arrive at the potential customers house to clean their floor and he was to call his manager before he begins the demo and after he is finished. All in all he never sold a kirby and was told that he could not receive a paycheck due to some stipulation like a training period and also would not receive a commission until sell more than like 10 or so kirby shits. He thought the vacuum was cool and I thought it was interesting too but he spent weeks trying to get the paycheck he thought he was working for and got nothing. The worst part is that he quit his other job because he thought it would be better for his situation because he had a child on the way only to be burned by a company so disconnected that the sales people are told to spread around the dirt that they sucked up if the customer doesnt want the Kirby vacuum. Fuct!
 4th of Dec, 2009 by   kirbykirby 0 Votes
 5th of Dec, 2009 by   meisa 0 Votes
"Dear little girls who can't sell water to people in the desert stop blaming kirby for ur failures and start blaming ur selves. U confuse activity with results and think u should get paid for doing half a job. i work for kirby and still do opened my office make 100k a year plus and did it in less than a year whats ur excuse besides ur lazy and dont want to push ur selves. the kirby pays for its self so if u think ur riping people off ur wrong. People should be happy whenh i knock on there doors and i come in and show them how discusting there houses are and the bugs in there beds andf all the money they are losing by using insufficent vaccums and cleaners. Further more for all u kirby haters how come u blam kirby for u being broke and job less how about blaming ur selfs for being a lazy 9 to 5 american who dreams of being rich but does not have to work ethic to make it in the real world. Keep blaming kirby call it a scam if it makes u sleep better at night truth be told kirby will be here for ever u will just be a guy or girl with no life bloging kirby."

That's precisely the level of literacy I would expect from a Kirby office manager. You must be very proud. Also, any long-term employee of Kirby is probably the last person who has any right to comment on the work ethic of anyone else...

that being said,

I am a former Kirby employee and i can honestly say that this is the most criminal company i have ever been desperate enough for work to be a part of.They send their employees into neighborhoods in unmarked vans to discretely leave flyers on every doorstep, while keeping it secret that they are from Kirby. The flyer reads "sorry we missed you. call this number for a free fruit basket", then when people call the number, the telemarketers blatantly lie about a free carpet cleaning in any 2 rooms of their house, still keeping the customer unaware that they are from Kirby. When people agree to the free carpet cleaning they send a "Kirby dealer" to the customers' house, where little or no actual carpet cleaning takes place, and the fruit baskets are only ever delivered when people buy the vacuum cleaner and demand the fruit basket. Kirby dealers are instructed to lie and pressure as much as they have to in order to make a sale. When in appointments with more "vulnerable targets", such as elderly people who live alone, the level of aggression displayed by the dealer increases exponentially, often to intimidate, threaten and coerce them to purchase the machine. When people finally convince the dealer, and then the crew chief, that their answer is firmly "No", the crew chief tells the dealer to leave the salt they dumped in the carpet, (salt tears up your carpet padding over time) leave the shampoo in the carpet, spread the dirt they picked up back on the floor, pack up and leave, having only actually cleaned a 4 sq foot patch in one room. Kirby also instructs their employees to ignore signs that say "no soliciting" and "no trespassing", which actually put me in a position where i almost suffered serious injuries from a large German shepherd, which cornered me in a gated yard for about 45 minutes. When i asked my supervisor at Kirby, Dave Beaumont, to explain and justify these illegal business practices, he swiftly proceeded to attack my character and even went as far as to muckrake into my medical business, which is an extremely illegal violation of personal rights. Not to mention that before i was hired i was promised 2150 a month and that my hours would be "9:30 am to 6:30 pm mon-fri". the actual hours they kept me were "9:30 am to 11:00 pm mon-sun" and they failed to issue a single paycheck. At least a slave gets a bowl of rice at the end of the day. If you value the sanctity of your home and the security of your family, stay far away from this company.
 1st of Jan, 2010 by   Happyandfree 0 Votes
I absolutely agree. I was under the misconception that Kirby was going to take care of me as an individual.. something like how American Airline's employees would experience. Good pay and benefits. The reality though.. it was a shifty fight of a dog eat dog atmosphere. In an economy such as this how could a company want you to work from 9 in the morn 'til 10:30 at night selling vacuums (I just want to at least state that the Sentria is exceptionally better than any other vacuum out there, Kirby only has this one positive...it is the Ferrari of vacuums, lol) that are only worth $850 at the most, for $1700-$1999????!! Even though it is an efficient vacuum, KIRBY'S marketing system for the vacuum is flawed. Find a way to deliver Kirby vacuums to a mass market by lowering the f!king thing's price, and putting a stop to these stupid thug vans and dangling reward systems. It is plain trickery or as Marcy would say F^kery. Sell the damn thing at target and make everyone happy.

Pictures Are Also Used For Romance Scam!

Latest Groups