logo

Posted:    Nicka

Fraudulent company

Kay Jewelers
kay.com
My fiancee and I went into Kay Jewelers in Chico, CA to look for an engagement ring for me. The one I picked out was perfect. The stone shined magnificently, with almost no flaws, and the band was smooth and perfect.

We had to get it resized, so they took it and sent it off. We were told it would take 2 weeks, and I thought that seemed like a long time. They told us they had to send it out, and as first time diamond purchasers, we agreed.

One day, a few days before we were supposed to get the ring back, we were in the mall that the store is in, doing some Christmas shopping, and we stopped by Kay to pick out my fiancees ring. Not long after we left the store and drove home, they called to tell us the ring was ready.

Why couldn't they have given it to us when we were there? They had begun to know us by name, and we had been speaking with an associate of theirs, so what was the hold up?

Well, we went to go pick it up a couple of days later, and it just didn't look the same to me. It didn't shine the same. I noticed a few ridges on the surface of the diamond, but they we're barely noticeable, so I chalked it up to that and didn't think much of it.

I showed the ring to my mother, and she noticed that there is a crack in the base of the diamond, and that on the inside of the band, underneath the largest stone, its all soldered into a lump where the light is supposed to shine through.

We're going to go attempt to get it all worked out in a day or two, so I'll write back some updates as it all unfolds...
Comments United States Jewelry & Watches
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

2nd of Apr, 2009 by   jamesisajeweler 0 Votes

I never sell a loose diamond that's not CERTIFIED so in the event something happens to my client's diamond i as well as my client knows WHAT QUALITY OF DIAMOND she had before anything was done to her ring.

Email: jamesthejeweler@yahoo.com

Phone: 404-447-5459

My Online Jewelry Blog: http://jamesisajeweler.blogspot.com
 11th of Jun, 2009 by   Stephanie 0 Votes
 30th of Aug, 2009 by   Anonymous 0 Votes
@jamesisajeweler:

David Yurman, where my engagement ring is from, sends out their rings to be sized. And it takes them six to eight weeks. My mom has a ring from DY, and the onyx cracked, so she took it to the DY store, and they sent it to their distribution center or whatnot, and they sent her a new ring.

So what you said isn't necessarily true. If they're a high-end and reputable company like David Yurman, there's no need to be worried about sending your ring out to be sized.
 29th of Jun, 2010 by   millerbarona 0 Votes
JB Robinson Waldorf Maryland, Kays, Jared, Shaws and other extended company are all in one company called Sterling. Please make sure you have your paperwork documented and have your photo's as often they swift stone to something else. Do not trust anyone in that store verbally also make sure the store manager are involved when buying as they are fraud. Do not sign anything unless you understand it. I was scammed in that store or company. The District Store Manager is rude and nasty in that region southern maryland. The red headed lady who is there assistanmce manager is the most croaked as she enrolled me in payment protection plan when I did not even agree with it. Be very careful in that store. The Filipino Lady been fired because she was honest. Be very careful with the repairs they charges 3x with original amount ask for repairs price list so you do not get scammed. barona.nidah@yahoo.com
Hello to you i'm James The Jeweler in Atlanta, Ga and i also have my own jewelry discussion group here under "JEWELRY & WATCHES" i read your complaint here, and the first thing i'd like to tell you as well as others here if you're getting a ring sized it doesn't take 2 to 10 business days to have any ring sized, and if you're getting an engagement ring sized, and the jeweler asks you to leave your ring with him, ASK THE JEWELER TO REMOVE YOUR CENTER STONE FROM YOUR ENGAGEMENT RING IN FRONT OF YOU, THEN ONCE YOUR RING HAS BEEN SIZED HE CAN HAVE YOUR DIAMOND RE-SET IN FRONT OF YOU, IF HE CAN'T DO NOT BUY ANY JEWELRY FROM THAT JEWELRY STORE. I will ask all of you ladies and gentlemen that before you even buy an ENGAGEMENT RING FROM A JEWELRY STORE ask if they do their REPAIRS ON PREMISES OR DO THEY SEND IT OUT TO BE DONE FOR THEM. If a jeweler sends his work out to be done for him, get it in writing as to HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO HAVE RING SIZINGS DONE, and any other major work. I would STRONGLY SUGGEST THAT YOU DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH ANY JEWELRY STORES WHO HAVE TO SEND OUT YOUR JEWELRY TO GET REPAIRED OR SIZED. A jeweler should have those people working for him or her within their jewelry store, if not FIND A FULL SERVICE JEWELRY STORE IN YOUR AREA WHO DOES ALL WORK ON THEIR PREMISES. What i really believe has happened to you is that your CENTER STONE HAS BEEN SWITCHED by someone at at that jewelry store, and if you don't have an UN-BIASED APPRAISAL OR A GRADING CERTIFICATE FROM THE GIA OR EGL on your center stone, it's going to be hard to tell what quality your CENTER STONE really is or was before you ever bought it. I never sell a loose diamond that's not CERTIFIED so in the event something happens to my client's diamond i as well as my client knows WHAT QUALITY OF DIAMOND she had before anything was done to her ring Everyone NEVER BUY AN ENGAGEMENT RING IF THE CENTER STONE IS NOT "CERTIFIED" BY THE GIA OR THE EGL. If you need my FREE jewelry consulting services feel free to contact me here or at my contacts below. Email: jamesthejeweler@yahoo.com Kay and every other jeweler that is associated with them are awful! My fiancée and I bought my engagement ring at JB Robinson in Alabama in December of 2007. We picked out the ring a few months in advance and they told us they were having a big sale on December 4, 2007 and if we waited we would receive over $1, 000 off my ring which is originally priced at $3, 800 we got it for $2, 700 including tax. We thought we were getting a great deal for my 1 ½ princess cut 3-stone ring. It was so pretty in the store when I first saw it. I have thought before that when he actually picked up the ring there was a possibility that the ring was switched. I had heard of this happening, and actually happened to one of my mom’s good friends at Kay’s a few years ago. At the time I did not know that JBR was Kay’s sister store or we may not have bought my ring from there. But why would a jeweler actually willingly save us $1000? If they knew they were selling the ring and knew they were going to get to sell the high quality diamond elsewhere because we had already reserved that ring. Well upon buying the ring we received “marry money” which gave us $100 off of a $300 purchase. We decided to buy our bands the following January, on the 16 of 2008. We were not getting married until 2010, but we wanted to get the rings paid off way before the wedding since we were both still in college. When we were looking at bands I saw one I loved. The diamonds matched up with my ring perfectly. The manger Cameron assured me that it could be “fitted” to my ring. Since I bought the warranty on both the engagement ring and the band it would only be around $40 to have it fixed. I was so excited because I loved the band and my ring. Well I got the rings paid off in the year you are allowed interest free with their credit line. Well I took the ring to Kay’s last week to have the band “fitted” to my ring since my wedding was less than a year away. Well I was told by the manager at Kay’s that the band I paid $400 for cannot be fitted to fit my ring because it will ruin the diamonds on my band. And that it will be $1200 for them to “custom make” a band to fit my ring that they STILL currently sell in the store. HOW can you sell a ring and not sell a band. Plus how can you charge me $1, 200 for a ring when I am supplying the diamonds and a big chunk of the metal? What is it $100 per hour for labor? That is just stupid. Beware of Kay, JBR, Jared and all the other companies that are associated with them. Don’t believe me… google Kay Jewelers Scams!!! My fiancée’s dad was a jeweler for a long time and so was his granddad for over 50 years. His dad told us it should cost no more than $400 to “custom make” a band for my ring. The reason a band has to be custom made is because my ring has a diamond on each side of my ring to “set” the stone or that’s the reason I was told. I think personally it is a load of bs. Anyone planning on buying at Kay, DON’T!!!
 5th of Nov, 2010 by   Another Kay complaint 0 Votes
Do not go to kay unless you like being swindled, where they can an will sell you the worst diamonds possible for thousands because its not a certified diamond. This means every diamond that is'nt certified can be sold to you an before you know you got taken for a ride, an if thats not bad enough when you try an deal with it at the store you get treated like you never payed them thousands, they act like your a inconvince, an if your in a wheel chair like me, the acting manager just walked away an treated me very wrong, was condisendong, rude, abbrasive, an oh yes did I mention she just walked away, without telling me an we were in the middle of discussing how its not ok to do what they do. An deal with the headache I am dealing with, now what can I do email bbb, dac, goa, which i've already typed up, just have'nt sent yet.
 8th of Nov, 2010 by   Another Kay complaint 0 Votes
Also, because of the way I was treated by the acting manager at Kay jewelers as her being Extreamly rude, an brash, oh an the walking away from me in the middle of the conversation as I stated before, i know she would not have done this to someone who was full body abled, also known as a person who can walk. Instead she used mall security all nite, even after she was gone as if I were a so - called threat, I could'nt even shop, or watch a movie because that is how bad security was being! There was security very close to Kay store staring me down an making me Extreamly uncomfortable(Keep in mind im in a wheelchair and could not harm her in any way)(she also knew this before i came to the Kay jewelers store.) So there were security guards that harrased me all night .an the person i was with. Like I had done some thing wrong or physically or verbally threatened her person, or staff. I have decided my rights as far as ada laws were violated that night, by the acting manager an mall security. An (I am going to stage a Legal Protest ) due to my rights being violated and feeling threatened by her an the security team, as I cannot fight back I think this will be a good thing an will take others in my wheelchair group, so that way No one in the future can have there rights violated or feel threatened, just because you speak up about them selling me in my opinion a dirty diamond. It is not right that they think they have the right to throw around muscle security to intimidate me or other disabled people. As i have dicussed this with my wheelchair group, they think it is very important for this not to be done again to anyone who obviously cannot fight back. Plus having addional illnesses which means I really cannot fight back Except the leagal way. An I plan to do that to the fullest of my ability an also emailing a news station to let them know what the public is buying, esp since it's right around holiday season. I did state this was not over, an what they were doing there was very wrong an we will never shop at that particular store again an also I would take this to the full extent of the law so no one disabled, or not would be getting the treatment that we recieved or have this happen to them, because it is inexcusable.
 10th of Nov, 2010 by   Another Kay complaint 0 Votes
*Justice at Kay Jewlers*
Well, we took the ring to another Kay Jewlers an So far we recieved Excellent treatment from them, particularly the manager. She listened when I explained all we had went thru with my engagement ring and the treatment we recieved at the other place. I even let her know I was just wanting what was fair. She was professional, she did not take anything personally, an gave us Great customer service, an treated us Very well. The diamonds that are sold in this particular Kay jewelers were actually Very good, the store was very clean, they had there certificates on the walls, I was surprised an thankful I did not encounter any bad issues at this store. An we were also given the option to trade the center stone out for a certified diamond an got my wedding band too all Near perfect an colorless at a Very discounted price! I even got to look thru the microscope to see both stones. As I type this I know my rings are being built. I feel good about this Kay jewelers an was thankful so far so good... I'm still a lil reserved but it is only because the 1st store bad experiance, when we get the rings I will right more to tell you how it ends, but I am glad from the bottom of my heart I went to this Kay jewelers an had no problems an everything was just how it should be. So, perhaps there are great Kay jewelry stores after all... As I stated before, I will definetly let you know how it ends up!
 18th of Nov, 2010 by   Another Kay complaint 0 Votes
(The End Results)
I got my rings early! They are Spectactular! Robin at Kay jewelers in chandler mall, will always be my jeweler an my families jeweler! Thanks to Robin, I will be a loyal customer to Kay thanks to her! I am very glad all was made right!

Skip Payment, Inflate Debt