logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (48 mins ago)
Excelsior College CPNE
CPNE failure is rediculously easy.
2. (57 mins ago)
Web 7 Design
Scam
3. (1 hr 6 mins ago)
Lone Star Security & Video
Unsavory business practices
4. (1 hr 8 mins ago)
Tussa Hatton
The agent charged me and didn’t provide any services
5. (1 hr 12 mins ago)
Brilliance.com
Don't even think about buying from them

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Richard Townsend

Financial aid student loans

Kaplan University
Florida
I wanted to let you know about the difficult, and potentially unethical situation that I have had to endure while attending Kaplan University. After many hours on hold, and broken promises about the disbursement of my student loans, I feel that someone needs to know about this deceptive and unethical business practice. Here is what has happen to me to the best of my recollection and as accurately as possible. I have been a student at Kaplan University for nearly two years, working of a Masters of Science degree. During such time I have been receiving expense related moneys or stipends on a continuous basis, receiving checks every two-to two and one half months apart. So, up-to-date I have received loan disbursements around 6 times.

On several occasions I have notice that the dates posted on my accounting page at the Kaplan web-site have been changed to reflect a more closely related receiving, and disbursement date. For example, let say the day of a particular disbursement was on the 10 of one month, when the money was actually distributed was the 27, then the 10th was changed to the 27th. In other words as to cover up the lag in actual time of delivery. This is probably done since I was told that the dates posted in the computer were made up / random / meaningless, and deceptive dates.

This is my current situation, which after countless phone calls, and a visit to Kaplan’s corporate office I have been unable to alleviate. On June 16th when the posted date on my Kaplan financial statement page showed that a disbursement was to be made, and mailed to me, and was not, I contacted Kaplan financial aid department. I was told that the Bach(s) dated for the 16th was “messed-up”, by one of their representatives, and had been pushed to the 23rd of July, over a month later. Then she decided to put the date back to the 16th of June. At some point this date was then again moved to the 23rd of July.

I have now communicated with Direct Loans (800-557-7394) on three different occations and have been told that the funds have been ready for Kaplan, and for disbursement on June 9th, 2010. The Fallowing are a brief summary of the different reasons that Kaplan financial aid department has used as excuses to why the funds have not been mailed to me as of July 28, 2010:

1) We are still waiting for Direct Loans to release the funds. (Funds have been ready since June 9th, 2010)

2) I have given your information to an expediter and they will call you back with-in 72 hours. (Never called back)

3) The Dean has created a new processes which has delayed the process, and that is why is taking longer.

4) We started a new financial year on the 1st of July, and since we did not get the funds from the lender by the 1st of July the funds have been delayed.

5) I visited Kaplan’s Corporate Ft. Lauderdale office on July 12, 2010, and was given a persons name of Fred Chalmers at (954) 515-3499 I called and left a message for him, but he never called me back. Furthermore, I got an e-mail address for Annemarie Ingino, attached to this letter is her response. In her response she assure me that the funds were going to be mailed out on the 23rd of July, and that they were going to be mailed out to me overnight, so that I would have the check on the 27th of July. This is from Kaplan’s Corporate office, I never got a check!

6) On July 26th 2010 I called financial Aid, and was advised by the Kaplan representative that he had checked the Direct loan web-site, and that the funds had not been disbursed as of yet. I called the Direct loan origination department right after speaking with the Kaplan rep., and was surprised to hear a recorded message stating that their web site was down. Moreover, after speaking with a representative I was advised, (and this is now the third –time) that the funds had been disbursed to Kaplan and that I needed to contact the school to find out what the problem was.

7) I have called the Financial Aid department at Kaplan, explained my problem, and told by the representative that they were going to check on the situation to hold please, but the person never got back on the phone.

8) I even called the academic advising department to get the deans name, and the address to the corporate office, and the person would not give me either one.

9) All of the conversations have been recorded by Kaplan University, so that all that I’m stating in this letter can be verified.

This is the problem that I’m facing now, I have been in school for almost 2 years, and have been receiving living expense checks on a continuous basis. I have a job, which helps me supplement these funds until I can finish my education, and get a better job. So, when my funds are kept by Kaplan for two months, and now it has been over 3 3/4 months since my last disbursement there is a problem, which will be leaving me, and my Family (I have a 2 ½ son, and his Mother) homeless.

The biggest ethical issue here is that, if Kaplan University is holding on to these funds in an interest earning account, then I should be entitled to the interest from this account. Furthermore, why are they entitled to use my funds for their gain at my expense, and hardship. How long can a School hold moneys which do not belong to them, these are loans that I have to payback. These loans are Federal Loans, does the federal Government have any rules/laws on how long a school can hold these funds for.
It’s clear that someone here is not telling the truth, on one hand I have Kaplan telling me that they are waiting for the Federal Government, and on the other we have the Direct loans a lending department funded by federal government telling me it’s Kaplan responsibility of disbursing these funds. At this point I have lost so much, and hope that this letter is investigated so that other students will not have to undergo this up-and-down nightmare. One thing is for sure, I wish I would have never enrolled at Kaplan University and will never forget this situation. To me this is part of why this country is in such a financial disaster, greed!!!

Lastly, I now find myself in disbelieve in the many different stories that Kaplan University has told me. I sure hope that someone cares to help me with this disgusting situation. I find that a Higher Education institution should be setting an example for its students in how to be ethical and sincere. I’m not really sure how I will be able to finish my education without a home, a family, and a constructive experience, which getting a masters degree should have been, thank you for killing my dreams.

Sincerely,
Comments United States Loans
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

28th of Jul, 2010 by   Kaplanholic 0 Votes
Check Danny Weil's article about crap like this on www.dailycensored.com specifically he talks about Kaplan's bad business practices and how it is going to ruin people like you.
 10th of Aug, 2010 by   LeaAnn Cords +1 Votes
Kaplan University is holding my funds too and I have heard all of the complaints posted in your comments. I am consulting an attorney for a class action suit. This is rediculous that they can tamper with FEDERAL STUDENT loan monies. I am suspicious of embezzlement after reading all of your comments. I have also contacted the White House asking for help. EVERYONE needs to contact the higher education commission and file a complaint against Kaplan University. We need to unite!!!
 16th of Aug, 2010 by   asb123 0 Votes
Kaplan University is doing the same thing to me! I am in my second term and they are holding my loans from me. I was suppost to recieve my student stipend for my first term in May and still have not recieved it, I am almost half way through my second term and still have not recied my second term stipend. I keep calling and complaing, everytime I do this I am promised that it is being processed and I will get it on such an such a date. at one point I recieved an e-mail from Kaplan telling me that I would be recieving my stipends for each term on specific dates, those dates have come and gone. Today I have been on hold for over two hours waiting to talk to someone to figure out what is going on. I don't know what to do. I feel like dropping out of Kaplan and transferring into a better college because this is wrong, I am waisting soooooo much valuable time on the phone with the financial aid department being lied to. I need advice please. how do you get in touch with the educational department? thank you
 20th of Aug, 2010 by   ihatekaplan 0 Votes
This is happening to me as well. I just sat on the phone for 4 hours today, no one answered! Just put it on speaker and walked away. It has been 7 weeks and I have been getting the run around. They lie so much it is pathetic. According to direct loans my money was dispersed on 6/30 well here it is August 20th and still nothing. Excuse one right after another. How do these people sleep at night knowing they are putting people out on the street!
Their is a class action lawsuit at hand here http://porphyrins.org/angeliques_rabbit_hole/?p=243 The attorney is listed on this page. Including a lot of current info on the fraud of Kaplan.

Hopefully they will soon lose their federal funding http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/08/16/AR2010081603853.html

I will have a huge celebration that day for sure!!! They deserve to bit of their own medicine.
PLEASE CALL THE NATIONAL OMBUDSMAN THE MORE PEOPLE THAT CALL AND COMPLAIN THE BETTER http://www.ombudsman.ed.gov/about/contactus.html

Also file a BBB complaint http://www.bbb.org/south-east-florida/business-reviews/educational-consultants/kaplan-university-in-fort-lauderdale-fl-9636

They currently have 572 complaints filed.

And most of all post everywhere on the web including their facebook pages about this school. Everyone needs to know who they are dealing with. http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2212980572
and http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=2212980572

Please everyone let's stay in touch for the outcome email me at ihatekaplan@gmail.com
 26th of Aug, 2010 by   kaplan_IS_unethical 0 Votes
I have been contacting Kaplan's Financial Aid office on several occasions via telephone and email in reference to the disbursement of my Educational Expense Loan which I have yet to receive. The application was submitted months ago and I have received the Disclosure Statement on 6/14/2010 indicating that the funds were released to your institution on 6/21/2010.

I contacted Kaplan on August 3rd and was told that due to some "unknown" reason the disbursement was delayed and that it would take 15 days for these to be released. That time lapsed and I did not receive the funds. I contacted the office again on Aug 23rd and was told that despite what the previous representative had communicated on 8/3 that the funds were still not being released and that I would have to wait another 15 days.

I did the same as mentioned by others and contacted the Ombudsman's Office, as well as the BBB. I plan to contact local news papers and the media as well until this issue is resolved. I think all of us need to come together and fight back. I have been at other institutions that are larger than Kaplan and never had this issue. It is unacceptable to say the least.
 2nd of Sep, 2010 by   E_Moore25 0 Votes
I one check but it wasn't for the full amount I was suppose to get. Then I never got the check so it was voided after 30 days. Then they sent another one out and they told me it was going to be sent overnight and they had it sent to the wrong address so they say. Then they told me it was cashed, then they said they wouldn't be able to void it until 9/7 2010. I was suppose to receive this check on June 18, 2010, something ain't right! I am going through this again I am getting tired of getting the run around.
 6th of Sep, 2010 by   Dishearten student 0 Votes
I happened to find this link by mistake, and boy am I glad!! I'm going through the same thing with Financial Aid Department. I enrolled in March, I was walked step by step with the financial aid rep on the phone. I stated that after my classes are covered by my loans and grants that I received, I wanted the funds to be sent to me. All was agreed, but when I requested my funds I was told that the check mark was not visibly seen, then, I was directed to website to download more papers, but before I could continue, I was told that I had been randomly selected through a machine to provide my tax information. I said, when did this happened, because I was never notified by phone, e-mail or letter. I told her that if I never called the school, I would have never known about being randomly selected for nothing, then, I was advised that if I did not produce the paperwork (tax papers and downloads request for return of funds, ) I would not be able to begin my classes I just completed. So I had to fax the paperwork to Kaplan University ASAP which cost a little over 14.00. I called them to let them know that the requested paperwork was faxed, I was confirmed, then, I was advised that my signature was missing from one of the documents. I asked her to recheck. Mind you I received a e-mailed this time requesting my signature. I informed the rep that I just faxed the information, and if I could possibly e-mailed it to her, I was shocked when she said, yes! Why? because when I asked the first time I was advised that the paperwork had to be faxed on top of everything else the conversations I had with the representatives was not documented correctly, have the conversation I was missing. Long story short I was suppose to receive 3 checks, the last time I was told that the paperwork was filled out wrong again, and I told Mr. Smith that the rep walked me through it, then I was told that I qualified for more money and will be he would be happy to assist me with that, I told him I need assistance with my refunds and you're offering me more grants, first things first, The sad thing is if I did not call I would not have known nothing, I was checking the mailbox for absolutely nothing. They told me that the first funds was returned, because I never requested the funds, I told her that was not the truth . I e-mailed the financial department again, received an e-mail on the 28th of August telling giving me a breakdown of my funds but still no refunds. I'm currently taking advanced classes in Bachelor's program for Forensic Psychology and I still waiting on my refunds. I was so upset that that I was going to quit school, he was willing to transfer me to Academic Advisor, I said what about my refund checks, but you're willing to transfer me. Needless to say today is September 6, 2010 and I still have not receive my refunds. Yes, I totally agree that someone needs to look into this matter or I will be changing to another class. I already informed CTU that I would get back with them before next semester starts. I did not realize there were other people going through the same ordeal. I explained to them that I am experiencing financial hardship and I am dire need of my refunds. Still no checks . Thanks for the information, much appreciation!
 13th of Sep, 2010 by   Ahenry 0 Votes
I am getting the same run around from Kaplan that i have read in this complaint. My loan should have been paid out june 9, 2010, i called them today they said my check will be mailed tomorrow. LOL thats the 10th time i have been told that. If anyone gets any more information on why Kaplan is not paying out student loans or what i need to do PLEASE contact me
 27th of Sep, 2010 by   Ashley35 +1 Votes
I am also a victim of this and I am so upset as we speak! It takes 2 hours to get someone on the phone and when you do, they tell you that need to hold and then they hang up on you. I am so irritated that I have been trying to get my financial aid loan posted for 2 months. Every time that I call, they seem to have no idea why it has not posted. I called today and the same thing, they said that it has posted and it should be in by October 1. They then told me that I do not have a refund. I was told that I had a refund and that I should fill out the forms to have it sent to me. Now they tell me that they are getting $2, 300 for my loan and I only owe $1, 400 and that I do not get the refund. WHAT??????? I filled the forms out to have it sent to me. I only took classes for 3 weeks and now I owe this?????? I am so upset!!
 29th of Sep, 2010 by   Kaplanholic +1 Votes
A group has been formed just for people like us and it is ONLY for people screwed by Kaplan schools (online, on the ground, CHI affiliates, etc...) It's http://groups.yahoo.com/group/takenumdown2010/ and I urge you all to join. We are mobilizing by calling attorneys to get info about a class action against Kaplan and we are contacting the members of the HELP (Senate Ed Committee) and the Dept of Ed. We have great resources and links posted by our moderators.

It is time we made our voices heard so go to Yahoo and join now!
 15th of Oct, 2010 by   LaJudy 0 Votes
The Florida Attorney General's Office of Economic Crimes is looking for Kaplan students with problems just like these. Rene Harrod is asking for all students to email her. She has a couple of forms for you to fill out so she can begin the process of investigating them for Economic Crimes. Here's her contact info: rene.harrod@myfloridalegal.com
 2nd of Dec, 2011 by   fedup1967 0 Votes
Every last semester Kaplan holds students money until the last second and we are the ones who has to pay this money back not them and if i wast almost done i would find another school. It makes no sense that i take out loans to help me while i am in Grad school to help fray cost so that i can focus on my studies and every time i have a credit on my account i have to wait almost a month the get the funds. They act as though the money is coming out of their pockets i have had it with Kaplan somebody needs to do something about them
 23rd of Nov, 2012 by   Misty Patch Storey 0 Votes
I have had problems with there department more then once. They selected me for a random tax thingy too then after sending the the froms 4 times they finaly told me that my tax documents were wrong. I had to call the IRS to admind my taxes all over $23 the IRS said the school was stupid for making me file for $23. Now I am waiting until the 28th they say my check will be in then we shall see.
 26th of Jan, 2013 by   Loan Offer 0 Votes
FINANCIAL SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT TO ALL INDIVIDUALS IN NEED OR SEARCH FOR URGENT LOAN.

Do you need loan? Have you been turned down by loan lenders ever in life, here is another opportunity for you, No social security and no credit check, 100% Guarantee. All you have to do is let us know exactly what you want and we will surely make your dream come true. Easy Loan Company. says YES when your banks say NO. Lastly, we fund small scale loan firm, intermediaries, small scale financial institutions for we have unlimited capital. For further details to go about procuring a loan from: Kindly respond immediately to this E-mail: financialservice530@gmail.com

* We offer the following kinds of loans

*Investors Loans...
*Debt Consolidation...
*Second Mortgage...
*Business Loans...
*Personal Loans...
*International Loans...
*Home Loans...

Low Down or Zero Money Financing Program Available

Are you in need of a car loan or you need a loan for you to acquire a living home or you intend staring a Large scale Business? There is only one organization that can come to your rescue so i advice you to contact us via financialservice530@gmail.com mail to avoid any hindrance from getting your desired loan. I really want to let the general public understand that here are still Legit lenders that are ready any day any time to render you a financial loan for all you seek for.

FIRST INFORMATION NEEDED ARE:
Full Names:...
Country:...
Nationality:...
Date of Birth:...
Gender:...
Marital Status:...
Position held in place of work...
Age:...
Zip/ Country/ Code Fax:...
Next of kin:...
Tell:...
Amount required as loan:...
Period of which intend to keep the loan:...
Purpose of loan:...

E-mail us now via financialservice530@gmail.com for more details in regard to your loan requirement.
 22nd of May, 2013 by   rodeochic70 0 Votes
Kaplan University has been a nightmare for me as well! They have messed up on my loans stating that they sent them back when they knew they weren't supposed to but I am still being charged the money. They have done that several times throughout my education with them. I have reached out to the registrar, the financial aid and other phone numbers there and have really got nowhere with it. I also reached out tot heir corporate headquarters and have only ever heard from them once for which they never returned any of my calls after that. The professor in my exam class didn't read the manual and we had to fight to be allowed to do our revisions which extended us out well beyond the class finish date but Kaplan dropped us after a certain amount of time so we had to fight to have that changed. Then we found out that they never changed it through our lenders and most of us went into past due with our student loans even though we were still in school waiting on the grades for our last class to come through so now I have had to use 2 months forbearance just to be able to defer my loans until I get into school. If there is a class action law suit I want in!!! I have a long story to tell and I want someone...anyone to listen to it. I am a military wife who is just trying to get ahead so that if my husband is ever injured in action, our family won't go under. I know that there are other military members and family members who have attended this school and have experienced the same issues. Kaplan should be forced into some kind of restitution for their actions as well as lose their accreditation.
 5th of Jun, 2013 by   Kaplan Victim 0 Votes
Rodeo Chic, I had the exact same problem with Kaplan. It has been a non stop nightmare with them since I started my Masters. If I had known it was going to be this much of a problem I would have counted my blessings that they did not do this during my B.S. I should have ran like the wind then, but I needed a Masters degree to get into the college for law school that I wanted to attend that was closest to my home without leaving the state. Kaplan University are dream killers.
 3rd of Nov, 2013 by   One Concerned Student 0 Votes
The problem as I see is that they are being allowed to hold onto your loan money, and either issue it to you (at their discretional date and time). The reason being is because they can only deduct your account balance from the loan money they are being sent, and are required by law to issue you the rest. If they hold onto the money long enough, they ensure you paying for an education at their school whether you are satisfied or not. If you aren't satisfied, then your loan money is being held in limbo when you decide to go to another school. The Department of Education has an OMBUDSMAN that handles all affairs such as this when it comes to these types of problems. They even have a website where you can fill out the information. I was contacted quickly when I filled out the information on their website. I would suggest doing the same. Hope this helps.
 30th of May, 2014 by   katdaddy420 0 Votes
Well im currently a student at kaplan my stipend posted 5 28 2014 lets see if i recieve my stundent loan left over money ill keep you all posted my first semistr as well
 26th of Jun, 2014 by   kaplansucks1 0 Votes
I am having the same issues! My Iowa grants have been in ready to pay status since April 30, 2014. Iowa College Aid electronically sent the funds to Kaplan on the 16th of June, it I snow the 26th and Kaplan is claiming they have not received the funds. For two days they have told me they will have a manager/supervisor call me back about my grants and still...NOTHING! This has been going on since the day I started at Kaplan. I have 3 classes left to finish my Associates. All they will tell me is there is a delay in my grants DUH!!! so I am going on over 45 days now waiting for my grants. What is insane is once they go into paid status, Kaplan says they have 21 days to mail them and then it is another 5 business days before I receive it in the mail! I am so DONE! They have literally made me not even care of I have an education...WAY TA GO KAPLAN!!! I truly pray that Kaplan gets shut down! I contacted Iowa College Aid again and filled out a complaint form and they are supposed to be investigating Kaplan on my behalf, I will keep you updated as to what they find out.
 27th of Jun, 2014 by   Clinton002 0 Votes
Welcome To Clinton Financial Loan Firm

Get A Loan Now Quickly And Easily

Due to the current state of the economic problem most people will find it
difficult to get approval for an unsecured loan, business loan,
personal loan, home loan, auto loan, student loan, debt.Andrew Clinton Financial Loan Firm has partnered with a network of loan advisers who can save you time by summarizing your options to borrow money, or giving you advice on alternative options to taking out a loan. we grant out loans to companies and individual at a low and affordable interest rate of 4% Interest. contact us today so that we can proceed further. contact us now via:Email- loanfirms007@gmail.com

Fill in the form below and submit so we can proceed

Loan Details

State:...
City:...
Monthly Net Income:...
Job Title:...

By submitting your information, we acknowledged you have read, understand, and agree to the terms & Conditions of Use, and authorize your information to be shared with selected lending partner

Best Regard,