logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
Grotto Bar, Eden Bar, Suede, Bitterend, Suite
Underage drinking, drugs, sex , allowed
2. (3 mins ago)
Nationstar Mortgage
Criminal practices
3. (3 mins ago)
Jane Salon
Yelp comments can be manipulated by this owner
4. (9 mins ago)

Bad Breeder

K9 Pines
North Carolina
k9-pines.com
Melisa Smith is a bad business women. I bought a Siberian Husky from her and when I sent her my paperwork for my AKC papers she never sent them to me. She then made up all sorts of reasons why she never sent them to me. Unfortunatly for her I caught her in her lies. She also sold a 2 year old Siberian Husky to my sister and when they took him to the vet the vet said he was 12 pounds under weight and had heartworms. Melisa said she was selling him because he would not produce blue eyed dogs and that is what she wanted. So he was useless to her.
This women is down right horrible. She treats her dogs bad and does not take care of them.
Comments United States Dog Breeders
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

17th of Aug, 2009 by   K9PINES +2 Votes
This complaint is not legitimate and is unfounded. Produce documentation that anything I sold was unhealthy. Instead of trying to spread lies.

This website allows anyone to say anything about anyone. Including competitive breeders.

If you want to read what real puppy buyers have to say about the puppy they got from us, visit my website at: www.k9-pines.com and see what real puppy buyers have to say about the puppy they have purchased from us.

This person obviously has an Ax to grind and the Internet will allow anyone to say anything including making up stories and lies.

Melisa Smith
Owner of K9-PINES
 19th of Mar, 2011 by   Hope63 0 Votes
I bought a gorgeous German Shepherd from her. This little guy had the greatest personality ever!!! I fell so in love with him till I got home and found out he had 3 genetic defects: A heart murmur, an umbilical hernia, and one undescended testicle! She said the heart murmur was an innocent one and would go away as he got older. She wanted me to give him 6 months for the other testicle to drop. I am still waiting for her to stop making excuses and replace my puppy or refund my money!!!
 5th of Dec, 2011 by   siberian 0 Votes
i am not a competitive breeder. i drove 12 hours from NJ to purchase a siberian husky puppy from melissa smith. The puppy wound having to be euthanized after only 2 short weeks of being in our home. . He was deemed unfit for sale by 3 different veterinarians. We thought the puppy was too small when we bought him, however we were not showed the mother of the puppy or the rest of the litter. There was absolutley nothing we could have done to save this puppys life we did everything we could. Spent all of our money and we were not refunded for any of it. Melissa said that she was not responsible for any of the vet bills because she was not there to make any decisions for testing and nourishment., All she offered us was a new puppy, which was the last thing we wanted from her. She started to ignore all phone calls and emails. She also blocked me off of her facebook where i was mostly contacting her through. She became extremely rude and unprofessional and was making ignorant comments. Bringing in a new puppy to our home to keep our other husky company was supposed to be an exciting and fun new experience. All in all we lost 400 on the puppy, $300 traveling expenses and over $2000 in vet bills to keep the puppy alive. And not to mention my boyfriend was treated for Giardia which he caught from the puppy and wound up having to miss 8 days of work. so therefore we lost out on money because of that as well. But most important we lost our new puppy Frankie. Which myself, my boyfriend and my other dog Cody quickly became attached too.
 3rd of Jun, 2012 by   AnimalLover76 0 Votes
This was my first time dealing with K9Pines, And i believe she sent us a sick puppy, he only lived with us a month. He was a husky. And we spent over 7, 000 trying to save him. She tried to blame it on the dog food recall, but his test came back negative. He started having seizures, and they wouldn't stop. We put him down because the vet believed he had distmper. Whick Melisa doesn't believe he had, we will get his test results in a week. I have heard plenty about her now, she offered a replacement puppy, which i do not want. I hope she gets shut down, because she does NOT deserve to breed dogs, these poor animals are suffering because of her. Any breeder that will not let you see where the puppies are being kept is hiding something, prolly how filthy the conditions are. I will get justice for my puppy, he went thru alot in his month with us..and Melisa could care less. Shame on her, she is no dog lover, but a money lover.
 30th of Jul, 2012 by   K9PINES +1 Votes
In response to the March 19th 2011 Complaint, once the 6 month period was up and the testicle did not decend, and the heart murmur did not get better, the buyer got a new puppy and got to keep the other one too. Just as my sales contract states a replacment will be given if a serious genetic defect is present. The testicle is not a genetic defect and neither is an umbilical hernia. The heart murmur could be construed as a genetic defect or could be the result of a mutation. Either way the buyer chose a new puppy and we are still in contact. I do not know why she has not reposted the outcome. Melisa K9-PINES
 18th of Aug, 2012 by   K9PINES 0 Votes
In Response to the December 5th 2011 complaint: The person filing the complaint is the girlfriend, she did not drive to NC to get the puppy. They initially wanted their money back before even getting the puppy because their dog had sired a litter and they were just going to keep one of those puppies instead. The puppy left my possession in excellent body weight and great physical condition.

The puppy was taken to the vet within 2 days of arriving and the vet and told them he was not eating due to stress. The following week the vets in the practice deemed the puppy unfit for sale as per what she says. A puppy not taken care of properly can be dead in a week. The key is that he left healthy and in excellent body condition. The contract signed that day even states that it is agreed upon by both parties the puppy appears to be in good body and healthy or the puppy should not be purchased.

How a person opts to take a puppy to the vet or not or how their vet chooses to treat their puppy is out of my control. I can lead a horse to water but I can not make it drink. Even though the puppy did not have a necropsy done as per the sales contract nor were medical records ever sent I still offered a replacement puppy even though my warranty (any breeders warranty) does not cover anything contagious. As for the boyfriend getting sick within 3 days (which is what she told me on the phone) of bringing home the puppy, Google Gardia and incubation period and you will find that it has a 10 day to 2 week incubation period. If boyfriend was sick it was not due to the puppy making him sick.

This website allows people to make complaints I get that and it allows me to post rebuttals, I am appreciative of that as well. One thing I have learned in my 20 years of raising GSD and SH is that I can not please 100% of the people 100% of the time. This small hand full of reviews also does not measure up to the 150+ positive reviews on my website that people that are very satisfied with their dealings with us and many have come back for another and or refer others.

I encourage you (the reader) to take the time to pick up the phone and give me a call 828-691-9720
 18th of Aug, 2012 by   K9PINES -1 Votes
In Response to the June 3, 2012 complaint

As unfortunate as it is we were feeding Diamond Dog food and had been feeding it for over 2 years. It hit our kennel hard and we are working towards a resolve with the dogfood company.

Unfortunately this person did not contact me to tell me her puppy was having problems until she had the puppy for almost a month.

The course of Salmonella infection for puppies is a roller coaster. It gets better and it gets worse. It attacks various organs and the test for it is inconclusive in just about every testing incident. Google test salmonella puppy. It is a very bad bacteria that hides in the cells during antibiotic therapy and can take 6 months to be completely free from their system. The 'test' for Salmonella is not accurate as it only tests to see if it is currently (that day) in the blood stream - if a blood test is given). If it is in the organs or even the brain parts of those organs also have to be submitted and even then if it is intracellular the test will still be negative. The bacteriologist I have spoken to on numerous occasions told me that it is the nastiest bug out there and that is why the CDC got involved as it was affecting people. All the people did was touch the dog food bag or the dry food and ingest dust particles from the food or just touching the bag. Google Diamond Dog food and Salmonella and you will read all the people, dogs, puppies that were affected.

5 weeks of In and out of the vet is very sad for the puppy and the owner and the others that were affected pursued Diamond and got a replacement puppy from me. However this woman was very upset with me and it pains me to know that. This is completely out of my control.

The puppy did not die from distemper. It never had any symptoms of distemper, seizures shortly before death is sad for the puppy and hard for the owner but this is one coarse of the bacteria and if affects the brain as well. The puppy never had any symptoms of distemper and seizures before death is not a distemper diagnosis.

I have written to this woman since she submitted her complaint and tried to help her to understand that what the puppy went through was due to the Salmonella. I am unsure how she feels at this point. I know my heart goes out to her and the puppy. She did say in one of her last responses that she wrote when she was hurt, angry, and not understanding how or why the puppy could not be saved. I think after I sent her all of the information we have a better understanding of what and why things went from good to bad. Melisa Smith
 7th of Nov, 2013 by   Lucas Neira +2 Votes
Ive been trying to get in contact with Melissa for a year now regarding my gsd paperwork. She hasn't given me any kind of answer. I've used different emails and called countless times with no response. I just want my dogs registration that is all. I don't want to fight about it. I just want his registration that I paid for.
 7th of Dec, 2013 by   GSD Owner 0 Votes
First of all this woman is not what she seems. She sold us a GSD pup that was half the weight that he should have been (seems to be a theme), she would not let us see the parents (also a theme with her), one of his testicles didn't drop (not only a theme with this woman, this is also considered an inherited trait, affected dogs should not be bred and should be castrated. The parents should be considered carriers of the defect and a breeder should thoughtfully consider whether to breed the carrier parent or not.) This woman gives a bad name to GSD breeders everywhere, report her to the AKC, the standard penalty for anyone convicted of animal cruelty involving dogs is a 10-year suspension and a $2, 000 fine. I am very curious as to what the will find on that property.

Contact the Compliance dept:
AKC Investigations and Inspections
8051 Arco Corporate Drive, Suite 100
Raleigh, NC 27617-3390
Phone: (919) 816-3629
Fax: (919) 816-4246
 15th of Dec, 2013 by   K9PINES 0 Votes
To the anonymous person that just posted that the puppy you got from me has one undescended testicle. My warranty is very clear covering an undescended testicle, which you agreed to the terms. I wrote you a very long and nice reply regarding the puppy you got and you obviously know what I wrote is true. As you did not write back. Did you take him to have an ultra sound to see if he was BORN with one testicle or are you just going with the diagnosis of undescended? An undescended testicle is not a genetic defect. A puppy born with one testicle has genetic tendencies but science has not found a gene that can cause that defect. So there are not genetic tests that can determine if a puppy will be born with one or no testicles. An undescended testicle is not the same as one being born with one testicle. Undescended means it did not drop into place as it should before the inguinal ring closes (explained to you in the reply email) All of my breeding males have both testicles present and descended, there fore your THEORY that they are carriers of a gene that has yet to be identified does not fly. Please continue to educate yourself and not slander my stud males who are very much in tact with both testicles descended. As for the comment of him being half the weight he should have been you never said one word about his size or weight the day you picked him up or in any of the email messages. Why would you purchase a puppy that was under weight and not in good condition? We are a closed kennel for the safety of our dogs and puppies. Report me to AKC for what? How do you justify saying anything or any dog or puppy is being neglected or treated cruel? I have never ever been charged with any such crimes, your insinuation that I have is out right slander. I am very curious why you would post such c*** about my giving GSD breeders bad names and not have ANY evidence to back what you are saying. My dogs and puppies are very well taken care of thank you very much. Obviously you thought enough of my dogs to come here, visit with me, and purchase a puppy from me. Funny now that your puppies testicle did not send you want to spread hate and discontent. You think my dogs are in jeopardy and encouraging people to call AKC for what reason? AKC inspects my kennel and my dogs and I am in full compliance. Thank you for your concern if that is what you call it. I would appreciate you not attempting to make my kennel a place not to purchase a puppy from. You obviously thought enough of me and my dogs to purchase one. Hopefully he has a wonderful home since there are no checks and balances to insure that he is being taken care of now, especially since one of his testicles did not descend.
 16th of Dec, 2013 by   LucasNeira 0 Votes
 16th of Dec, 2013 by   champion of dogs 0 Votes
You are and idiot if you think undescended testicle is not a trait!! It is a hereditary defect that carries on. Having one testicle means one has not dropped. In 45 years of dogs I have never seen one without one at all, and if you have then there is something really wrong in your breeding program. I thing your dogs are mixes or so inbred they have falling pasterns, back hocks in the rear, heads with no stop at all, and colors that go with a lot of other breeds!!! BUYER BEWARE!!!
 31st of Dec, 2013 by   K9PINES 0 Votes
Lucas Neira ~ I sent you a message and still have not heard back from you. Please contact me asap. I am not even sure you got a puppy from me. www.k9pines.com for all contact info
 31st of Dec, 2013 by   K9PINES 0 Votes
No clue who you are Champion of dogs, your opinion of my dogs is of zero importance to me. Obviously your serious desire to spew venom about my dogs that you know nothing about seems to be your goal. I wish you well in your endeavors and encourage you to educate yourself in regards to a testicle failing to descend OBVIOUSLY you are the one that does not understand there is ZERO rationale as to WHY one fails to descend. What IS KNOWN is it is a recessive when they are BORN without one. I am a vet tech by trade so YES I have seen BY ultra sound that a dog was BORN with only one testicle - it was a Great Dane. Buyers beware that I realize I can not please 100% of my customers 100% of the time as some can not be pleased that makes if fair for all. Please visit my website and read the guest book there are over 170 entries there with their email address's not a hide behind their sign on name attempting to discredit my program name.
 18th of Feb, 2014 by   Looking for a breeder 0 Votes
I've sent numerous emails and Facebook messages and only got one reaponse. After reading this and actually being in contact with other buyers, I will not be purchasing a puppy from K9 Pines. It sounds like this lady needs some help gettin her things together. It's ashamed because the dogs are beautiful.
 29th of Apr, 2014 by   hempens 0 Votes
I purchased a beautiful male puppy from Melissa in August 2013. When I took him for his first vet check up not only did he have an undescended testicle (Cryptorchidism) but he also had an umbilical hernia. I immediately contacted Melissa and was told the testicle would drop and the umbilical hernia would be ok. I bought him for a family companion not to breed, so whether he had one or two testicles did not matter. However, when questioning the vet about neutering him, she said to go into the body cavity to retrieve the other testicle would make the procedure more expensive and if we left it in tact, it could possibly cause him cancer down the road or other medical issues. Also if they did not retrieve the testicle he would continue to act like an intact male. Needless to say, we had him fixed because that was our original intent.

I was also told by the vet that this condition, (Cryptorchidism) is an inherited trait. I researched online and also got further confirmation of this genetic defect. According to an article in Veterinary - Answers.com, " It is particularly common in miniature and toy breeds such as Pomeranian and Yorkshire Terriers and some family lines are known to carry the gene in certain breeds including Boxers, German Shepherds, and Stafford shire Bull Terriers. Since cryptorchidism is genetic, it is easily passed down family lines"(Veterinary - Answers.com "Spotting and Treating Cryptorchidism in Dogs)) The Editor also suggests that all male relatives should be checked for the condition and that it is wise to remove them from the breeding pool. Other research showed that males and females can be carriers of this gene as well. This being said, it is very interesting that my dog and several others on this post should have come up with this same condition.

I am writing this post because consumers DO need to be aware of the possible condition in their male dogs and additional costs involved in the neutering. The cost of these puppies is not cheap and people do expect to get what they pay for. However for us, the other positive qualities we have found in our puppy are what make him so special. He has a wonderful temperament and is great with children and other animals. In this respect, Melissa did a wonderful job.

Success University Fraud