logo

no trade

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

K & B Transportation Inc., S. Sioux City, Nebraska Complaints & Reviews - Bad employer

K & B Transportation Inc. Contacts & Informations

K & B Transportation Inc.

Posted:    dsnyder0510

Bad employer

K & B Transportation Inc.
4700 Dakota Ave
S. Sioux City, Nebraska
Phone: 18005497599
kbtransportation.com
K & B Transportation, Inc, whose primary customer and affliate is Tyson/IBP, is in my opinion, the worst of the worst trucking companies to work for. I've been driving over the road for 4 and a half years, and fell into their "guarantee" trap that they put out to entice qualified drivers to move to them with "2500" miles a week guaranteed, run them or not. In this economy, and with the reduction in freight and miles in the industry, this sounded too good to be true. After my experience with them, I wish I had checked their reports out here first.

After hiring on with them after a rigorous orientation schedule, I worked for them for about 3 weeks before being "let go" for not playing ball. Playing ball in this term means I wouldn't falsify my driver logs to meet their absurd delivery requirements for Tyson or any other client of theirs that demanded impossibilities from a solo driver.

On one of many situations, I was asked (strongly urged) to falsify my driver log so that their load could deliver on time. This particular load was a load of fresh apples, in a reefer unit set on continuous run cycle that had been relayed to me by another driver in the middle of my mandatory 10 hour break (common for this.) The reefer was left with me with less than a quarter tank of fuel, at a location that didn't take Comdata for fuel. I was argued with by K & B, to get up in the middle of my ten hour break (the law) and go and fill the reefer down the city about 2 miles away. I told them no, I was on my 10 hour break. At that point, they told me to redo my log and show that I started the day later than I had. I told them no, it was illegal and I wasn't allowed to drive until my 10 hour break was done. They got mad and sent another driver to take the reefer down the street to fuel, then bring it back. this is when they decided to route me up the office and tell me I was done with K & B because of this and late loads. The late loads were due to my following DOT law and only driving what I legally could.

They run you ragged and use sleep deprivation on a constant basis, which is un-safe and puts the driver and the general motoring public at great risk. In fact, last week one K & B driver missed their exit on U.S. 287 in Colorado and did an illegal u-turn, which resulted in another big rig hitting the driver door of the truck, sending both drivers to the hospital. I have a strong feeling that the K & B driver was driving fatigued and was the victim of the company's absurd driving requirements.

First of all, to drive for K & B, you have to agree to drive primarily at night. Second, they run you ragged and tell you when your ten hour break starts and ends. It doesn't matter to them that it took 4 or 5 hours at the receiver to unload when you stopped the truck...to them, it's the start of your ten hour break! Oh, and they usually require the driver to be present for unloading. Gee, how can you be sleeping during that time? No matter, when the break is over, regardless of your sleep, you're off and running another 650-700 miles, mostly at night. These are un-safe practices and dangrous for the driver and the motoring public.

Even with drop and hook freight, same rules apply. When you get there, you're there! Start of 10 hour break most times. Never mind it takes waiting your turn in line at the security stations, it takes time to drop your trailer, slide your tandems (req. on all loads for Tyson) and find and hook to yiour next load. Now, check out with security, do your qualcomm messages and depart. If you need to break, you only have the remaining time from the time you got there, otherwise, its on the road to the next location. Again, very dangerous.

As to the drivers being left stranded when they are sent home from K & B, who usually took them there from wherever in the country. When I went home, they got me a bus ticket, however, there was a driver there who they let go after orientation, who passed all his test, including drug screen. They sent him home because he he didn't agree with company policy of us paying for scales and tolls up front, out of our pocket, then submitting them for re-imbusement in a trip pack envelope. This caused you to be re-imbused about a week later. Absurd! The company should just open the Comdata cards for scales, and tolls should be advanced, but not taken out of a driver's pay, unless the receipt isn't turned in within a week or so. The drivers shouldn't pay for that at all.

Also, K & B will charge you for damaged equipment on the truck, it's their policy. If a side mirror shakes off, you pay for it, whether in full, or through a payment plan. Again, absurd! well, that driver was taken to the bus station along with us, but when he got to the ticket window there wasn't a ticket for him. He called K & B and they told him he was on his own. He told them he had no money and they told him to go to a homeless shelter, he wasn't their problem! Note...for any driver who gets stranded by K & B in Sioux City Iowa bus station. Across the street, on the corner is the office of Congressman Steve King. Although he's not usually there (in D.C) the District Representative, Sandy Hanlon is usually there. We spoke with her and filled out Affidavits regarding K & B. She calle them and eventually they issued a bus ticket to that driver.

I've formally requested Congressional intervention regarding K & B Transportation and the way they treat their drivers and subject the constituents of every Congress person with dangerous policies that affect the motoring public. I believe, in the name of public safety, that Congressional intervention is needed, along with a a FULL audit by the U.S. Department of Transportation of the copmany and its policies. logs should be checked against any and all means including scales, fuel stops, ports of entry, sensors, receipts, electronic monitoring via Qualcomm as to vehicle location and if moving or still. Something needs to be done to this company as every man, woman and child is at risk in all 48 states where there is a K & B Transportation truck and driver on the road. I hope people are listening before its too late.
Comments United States Employers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

13th of Dec, 2009 by   qrose 0 Votes
Wow! That was the most well written and compelling piece I have ever had the pleasure of reading!!! I just happened to find this site by accident, as I was researching K&B myself. 13 years with 0 pts, 0 accidents and 0 tickets, I too was getting close to falling for the 2500 mi guarantee. I am so thankful I found this site and your comment. Sounds like something should definitely be done to change their ways! Thank you!!!
 11th of Jan, 2010 by   mks1 +1 Votes
I could'nt agree more with the comments about running you ragged and they will take money from you for anything they think you damaged . their logging practices are a sham and they are famous for not reimbursing driver expenses . Even with the economy this bad i'd say stay as far away from this company as you can and don't believe a word the recruiter says . I wish there was a way to find out what percentage of drivers that quit kb got a bad dac report, it's got to be way up there .
 21st of Jan, 2010 by   j.wymer +1 Votes
to those whom it may conscern, I ve never such a bunch of crybabbies in my entire 41 yrs of driving.If you newbys were told the truth by your "driving schools", maybe we wouldn't have to be getting our hoods run over and our tractors being backed into.Also I'd like to comment on the lack of personal and profesional pride seen today in too many of the "newer"drivers...disgusting!Let alone the way the"c.b."radio is used.maybe some of you will make it, maybe not.All I have to say is I'm glad I'm about to get out of this business and retire.Yes I do drive for K&B, and yes they are a tough outfit to drive for, So sonny, maybe what you better do is go somewhere where they want people like you(those that can't cut it here atK&B).happy trails young'n-Saddle Tramp.
 16th of Feb, 2010 by   w.t -2 Votes
hello i went to work also with k&b trucking fell for the garentee that was good thing. but in the middle of orintion they told me that i was done to grab my shit and leave because i was brought out to nebraska and they told me to find my own way home thru me off there property and they were calling the police cause of home time differance's.. not only a waste of time this was but to take a driver and thow them out the way they did to find there own way home is BULL SHIT.. If a driver did that with there truck you have to sign a legal paper saying you will be put in jail for grand theft auto...
 24th of Feb, 2010 by   trucker 1 0 Votes
K and B is full of S@#!. They lie, cheat and worst of all they get drivers that really need the money to work of them. May GOD have mercy on them. Never, go to K and B it is like making a deal with Satan him self
 11th of Apr, 2010 by   Chaoit +2 Votes
I worked for K&B for about a year back in 1999 and 2000. For the first 4 or 5 months I never had any issues with them because I liked the runs I had. I live on the East coast and was told that they would have no problem getting me home because they had freight going that way all the time. I made it home twice in the first four months which was fine because I was on a pretty steady run from Iowa, Colorado Oklahoma and Texas and I liked to run. After 15 years of driving trucks I learned to not expect to be home more than once a month if not once every month and a half. The trouble started about a year with them when I needed to get home from Texas because of a family emergency and was told there where no drivers to relay the load with or that there was no freight going that way.

I tried to get them to find me something heading in a north eastern route or find a driver to take the load I had just picked up in Amarillo, TX. so I could fly home. After hours of arguing I was told to take my load to Houston, TX (600+ miles) and meet a driver there that would take the load and deliver it back in Dallas the next day. This meant I would pass by where the load delivered by 200+ miles so someone else could drive it back and deliver it. I was told I would have to drive straight through and they would have a load waiting for me with the other driver that would take me into Ohio and then I could dead head home from there. This seemed a bit stupid to me because it made more scene for him to just meet me in Dallas... but I was told this was how it needed to be done

I drove the 600+ miles from Amarillo to Houston and met the driver. He had no load going north, instead he had a load that delivered in Houston the next day. He said they told him a load was coming in that he had to get to Dallas and deliver (load was originally a "shuttle" run) and when he delivered it they would get him home for his week-end off in Indianapolis. This set me off and started a chain of events the led up to me telling them they either got me home, got me to the yard so I could catch a plane or I was going to clean out my truck where it sat and they could come and get it.

I was told there was an empty trailer there and I had to dead head back to Amarillo, pick up a load that was scheduled to come out the next night and bring it north towards the yard. I told them there was no way I was going to be able to do another turn of 600+ miles and pick up a load and start heading north. I was told that "I was the one who needed to get home" and that "I was the one that was making things difficult and they where doing everything they could to get me home". I told them to keep a real close eye on the Qualcomm that my truck was heading for the terminal. By the time I hit Dallas/Fort Worth I had 10 messages waiting on my Qualcomm and finally the head guy called my cell and told me to stop just outside Fort Worth, pick up a load from a driver and bring it straight to the yard.

When I got to the yard I already had all my stuff packed, I dropped the trailer, turned in my bills, called a cab and got on plane and flew home. I never saw my last check which was no surprise...

And to j.wymer, your one of those regional drivers that are listed on the board as "the special group" aren't you? You sure as hell sound like it... Glad your retiring, old grump farts like you don't need to be on the road anyways.
 22nd of Apr, 2010 by   dsnyder0510 0 Votes
jw wymer...if you chose to take their abuse...your choice. Most of us choose to stay legal and tell companies like K & B to drop off.
 26th of Aug, 2010 by   disgusted!!!!!! 0 Votes
To all that worked for k&b this is the worse co. to work for!!! everything that is said in all commemts is soooooooo true!!! what is it going to take a bunch of drivers to die, before they get shut down!!! something needs to be done with this co, they put on my boyfriends dac who has been a truck driver for 15 yrs after he quit working for them from same problems, that he failed to contact which means he failed a drug test or refused one which is not true, because of this he is being shot down for any jobs, i pray that this co will get shut down, to all drivers keep the comments coming about this co, and lets hope we can read that one day they will be closed forever!!!
 28th of Sep, 2010 by   mks1 0 Votes
AS for the driver that had 41 years of experience ( j.wymer) why would anybody work for kb ? There are many companies that pay quite a bit more and have decent benefits and good equipment . I'm guessing your driving record is'nt as perfect as you say or your one of the kb management pretending to be a driver .
 20th of Nov, 2010 by   CrazyArcad 0 Votes
I will have to disagree with every single one of you whiny babies crying that K & B is so bad. I worked for them, and enjoyed every minute of it. And further more, I never had to falsify my log book to complete a run. I always made my deliveries on time. This is by far the best company I ever worked for. They are honest and upfront about what is expected, though 90% of the loads were run at night, that much i will agree on. So what! Grow some balls! Or are you all solar powered pussies that are afraid of the dark? Life as a truck driver is not easy. It's not the walk in the park that you were promised in driving school or at Swift (or the like).
Sure this company runs you hard, but when your running your making money. Whats the problem? Some people are not cut out for this business. and it's obvious to me, that all of you -1 (j.wymer) fall into that category. Quit crying, and go work for Covenant or Werner. And leave the real driving to the ones that are cut out for it. In this world where binary indicates success or fail, you are all 0's.

On last thing, if your boyfriend has an entry on his DAC report that he refused a drug screen/ or failed a drug screen. Then he refused / failed a drug screen. Period. End of story. Thanks for calling.
 16th of Dec, 2010 by   Dave Briggs 0 Votes
As for that 41 year veteran, some professioal you are .The comments you made were that of a person who is far from being a perfessional.To use names to put other people down sounds like your part of management.I was sent home with 2 other guys saying that they brought to many people in.Come to find out all three of us had A previous history of high blood pressure.Mine has been stable at around 120 over 74 wich is perfect for the last 5 years.I am now in much better shape after losing weight that 3/4 on the road today.Unless it was just a coincedense, sounds like a little desrimination to me. I never got into the orientation room before i was sent packin with no ticket. If nothing else csa 2010 will put them out of business.
 27th of Dec, 2010 by   texasbull 0 Votes
I will completely aggree with Crazy Arcad..you all are the biggest solar powered pussies on any road in the world! You all need to get off the road and go work for McDonalds...PLEASE. Trucking is not for babies. It is for men..real men. (my wife agrees...you are pussies!) Never in my entire trucking career which by the way stands at all forty-nine states and over four million miles under my belt, have I ever heard such BS! K&B is a good company, there are many good trucking companies out there, but you cant handle the good ones, so get off the road. If you are truckdrivers, I am ashamed to be one. I do not want to be put in the same catorgory as you steering wheel holding swifties. I hope I never come across your whining ass, unfortunaltly I end up meeting your asses, sitting at truck stops, with your expanding asses, complaining and all on the ten hour breaks that are so important to you. Get a job...someplace else.
 4th of Feb, 2011 by   Mark *ESKIMO* Darling 0 Votes
This sounds like the perfect co. for me! I worked for Direct Transit Inc for 5 years, ran 195 thousand mi. a year, 5 log books going ALL the time, going around Chicken houses when open, Lie to every D.O.T cop, sounds like old school!!! How do I sign up?? Mark *ESKIMO* Darling. NYC, NY.
 4th of Feb, 2011 by   Mark *ESKIMO* Darling 0 Votes
Oh yes, I forgot, I constantly covered up the Qualiquam Satalite. Very important to make false log entries match actual location. Direct Transit Baby! 1993-1997 R.I.P.
 20th of Apr, 2011 by   COREY"SUPERFLY"JACKSON 0 Votes
A WISE MAN ONCE SAID "WHEN DELT LEMONS MAKE LEMONADE!" i WORLED FOR k&b FROM 05 TO 09 IN THE ATHENS, GA FLEET. HOME EVERY DAY, HAULED PILGRIMS PRIDE CHICKEN, GREAT RELATIONSHIP WITH DISPATCH AND PEOPLE IN SOUIX CITY. LOVED IT. ONLY REASON NOT THERE NOW BECAUSE OF SPEEDING TICKET. MY FAULT NOT THERES. WILL BE RETURNING OCTOBER 2011. YEA I KNOW THERE ISSUES IN EVERY TRUCKING COMPANY OUT THERE, BUT LOT OF THE BULLSHIT IS BROUGHT ON BY THE DRIVER THEMSELVES. PLAIN AND SIMPLE, SOME PEOPLE ARE CUT OUT TO BE TRUCKERS, AND SOME SUCKED THEIR MOTHERS TITTY TO DAMN LONG IF U KNOW WHAT I MEAN! K&B WORKED FOR ME, I WAS HAPPY, AND THATS ALL THAT MATTERS. JUST LIKE SWIFT AND SCHNIEDER WORKS FOR OTHERS. BUT PLEASE PEOPLE, KEEP ALL THE CRYING TO URSELVES. K&B IS A BUSINESS, THEY ARE NOT OUT TO DESTROY UR HOPES AND DREAMS AS SOME U MAKE IT SOUND. THERES 2 SIDES TO EVERY STORY. MAYBE IF SOME OF U TOLD EVERYTHING WHEN U GOT ON HERE RAMPING AND RAVING, WE WOULD UNDERSTAND WHY U REALLLY DIDNT MAKE IT WITH K&B OR THE 50 OTHER COMPANIES THAT WERE OUT TO GET U. MY NAME IS COREY JACKSON AKA "SUPERFLY". LOOK FOR ME TOWARDS THE END OF THE YEAR SOMEWHERE AROUND NORTH GEORGIA AND U WILL SEE A HAPPY K&B DRIVER MAKING MONEY AND ENJOYING LIFE. DEUCES!
 22nd of May, 2011 by   ldyghst715 0 Votes
K&B hmmmm! My experience with Trucking Companies is a lifelong progression, from several Uncles to my Husband. The Trucking Industry is for Men & Women who love the way of the Truckers life. But when a Trucking Company takes advantage of there Drivers it's a different story. K & B has abused my Husband in so many ways and until I went in the truck with him did I completely understand what he was going through. I was with for a month so I was able to get a pretty good picture of what they were doing to him.
Being sleep deprived is an understatement, he would continually have loads given to him, and then have them taken away so another Driver could get the miles. Or he would get the load so he could deliver it with most of the miles already ran off. When you run 100 to 300 miles constantly day after day, hour after hour, week after week it gets really hard on your body. You can't get a good nights sleep, or even a 10 hour break. Hmmm! 10 hour breaks, You are required by law to get a 10 hour break every day, but with K & B your break is continually interrupted by the Dispatchers. Dispatchers are wanting temperature checks every 2 hours, and if you are going to make your delivery on time. My Husband has over 1 million miles under his belt, I do believe he is very capable of doing his job. That's why they hired him! There's no reason in the world to constantly interrupt a Driver while on his 10 Break. Dispatchers also tell him how to log every run he does, so it is to there advantage. It has and always has been the Law that the Driver is responsible for his log book.
It really was over for me when while I was in the truck with him. I have never been one to make added stops or long stops, because that's not his job and i don't want to be responsible for any delays. But it came to a head when we were on a run and had plenty of time to get there, and we were told that we were unable to stop for anything! So he asked what about using the restroom, they said you are not to stop for ANYTHING! That's when I lost all respect for K & B! How would a Dispatcher like to sit at his desk for his entire shift and not be able to move for any reason! No lunch, no restroom, and how would the Dispatchers like to go to bed at night and be woke up every 2 hours for what ever reason. So I have no respect for K & B, there company, there Dispatchers, there owners, NOTHING!
K & B needs to investigated by what ever means that they can use. Including Logs, QualComm, GPS Locators, Shipping & Receiving records, & most importanlty the Drivers and there Families. Without the retaliation against them. It's not the Drivers causing the problems it's the Company, and the sad thing is that the owners know it.
 22nd of Nov, 2011 by   Invictus1962 0 Votes
I worked for K & B from 2007 to 2009 and was finally terminated because I got 2 moving violations in 1 month. I was given a 2400 mile run to do in 3 days with 2 stops in Georgia and one in Florida which originated from a Tyson Plant in Omaha, Ne. Needless to say I, like always was encouraged to "fix" my logs to make a "legal" delivery and they even routed me around weigh stations to avoid inspections. But guess what...I was so fatigued by the second day I didn't even see the highway patrol officer as I passed him doing 70 in a 55 near Chattanooga, TN. That was my first tkt and the very next day the same thing happened in Florida...which ended my carreer with K & B. For 2 yrs they ran me ragged and it was always a pain to get time off in Tx. That company should not even be in existence. They blatantly violate all DOT regulations and I'm surprised they get away with it. Seems like the DOT is looking at the driver and not the company. Yes, the driver is responsible for logging correctly but in an economy where day to day survival is becoming more and more difficult drivers are oftentimes forced into compromising situations just to keep their jobs. Is there anyone out there who recognizes the plight of professional truck drivers who are operating in a cesspool of cut-throat companies like K & B.
 22nd of Sep, 2012 by   RJ62 0 Votes
K and B Transportation uses scare tactics and intimidation. I was at the truck stop once 5 hours early for a delivery. I stopped at a truck stop two miles away from the terminal for a shower and a meal. The fleet manager comes by paging me in the movie room while I was waiting for a shower. After 10 min., comes back in to the movie room asking for me by name stating my truck number. After the second time, I wait a few minutes then get up and go out to my truck to find the fleet manager standing on the tire looking in my bunk vent. I go around from the rear trailer side and see him shutting my driver side door. He is getting ready to leave, sees me and then approaches me in a hostile manner yelling at me about what am I doing over here 5 hours early. He is ranting and raving about how I should have dropped the load early and got another load. Hell, I just wanted a hot shower and a hot meal.What is so wrong about that ???
After I complained and told them I would contact the Labor Dept. I was transferred to a different fleet manager. This guy sounded better but he tried to work me more hours than I was getting paid for. Then after doing the math I told him I might THINK about moving from being dedicated to going over the road once they could give me more information. The next thing I know he has me scheduled to start over the road. I told him no I was just considering it. Then he told me it was already done. I said no that's ok, I'll just turn my truck in.Then they got angry and just told me to take the truck to the mechanic shop and clean it out. I did, I turned my truck in, cleaned it out. They ended up charging me $400 out of my last check for airfare and cab ride for someone else to come and get the truck. My last check ended up to be for $40, minimum wage for the week. ALSO, they left me there at the mechanic shop four miles away from a truck stop with my bags. There I was, just me and my bags.
 21st of Jan, 2013 by   Dan Barger 0 Votes
Funny how whining always finds a ear to land on. I worked for K & B and cannot say that they misled me nor did they ever attempt to have me alter my logs or cheat on any loads. They were more than fair on pay, went out of their way to accommodate the driver and took care of me when I needed any changes. Sure they are a trucking company, and had me transfer loads and at times had to wake up early or just be a truck driver. If you have issues with K & B you will never drive any where else either. The program for a set daily wage is a more than excellent deal, and again the drivers who cannot understand that should just go to McDonald's.

If you did not enjoy over the road they had regional runs and even have local day cab driver opportunities, so go figure about why people make up stories or whine..Just go grab some cheese and enjoy your whining. K and B was honest, fair and pays better than most. Newer trucks, great reefer units and fair dispatch. Take a good look at them before you make up your mind.
 25th of Jan, 2013 by   Rickster22 0 Votes
I've called this outfit a few times about possibly driving for them and both times was cut short and not very nice over the phone. They seem to have a real attitude towards you right away and if you ask too many questions they cut you off and become indignant!!! Big turnoff to say the least and their bad reputation fits them very well! I've heard Tyson has bailed them out many times and really surprised to see them getting all these new trucks and continue to operate. Very rude and indignant people as far as I'm concerned!

Smart Phone App May Catch Thieves