logo

Recently Discussed Complaints

1. (0 mins ago)
gobuu.com
Don’t buy from this company
2. (4 mins ago)
OmanAir
refund
5. (1 hr 14 mins ago)
fugenx.com
Their work is horrible, slow and doesn’t worth of your money

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Posted:    Fstears

durability

jonathan louis furniture
California
We had a house fire and lost all of our furniture. I had Stanton furniture that was about 7 years old and looked practically new. I loved it. After our fire I went to the same furniture store to purchase new furniture. Unfortunately, Stanton went out of business. I was steered towards a Jonathan Louis sectional, it looked really nice and I ended up ordering one.

After approximately 6 weeks we received our couch. I loved it. But within two months the cushions began to break down. The couch started to look like it was years old. I complained and received new cushions to place in my covers. It has now been 4 months, and its happening again.

I am very disappointed, this is the one thing I disliked about a lot of couches. I found a couch I liked at Macy's called "jive". I made a point to read up on the couch and the reviews were bad. Complaints were cushions breaking down almost immediately.

I was told that Jonathan Louis was excellent furniture. I'm hoping I just got "a lemon" and this can be resolved with them.

Good luck on your furniture search.
Comments United States Furniture
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

3rd of Aug, 2009 by   Macy's Furniture Customer 0 Votes
Please call Macy's Furniture and Bedding Customer Service @ 888-822-6229 and voice your complaint. You will be taken care of. Just make sure you ahve your salescheck number available and the nature of your issues.
 26th of Oct, 2009 by   disappointedinNY 0 Votes
I have experienced the same problem and I have hit a brick wall with Macy's. I purchased the jive couch in February of 2008, but it looks like I have had it for 10 years. The piping on the chennille is coming undone and now causing tears. To spend over $2000 on a couch and have it break down after a year and half is ridiculous. I also purchased the Worrynomore warantee that Macy's offers and the warantee company says my issue is not covered under the warantee. The saleswoman who sold us the sectional arranged for a Macy's representative to come inspect the couch. A week later we received a letter in the mail that said they found nothing wrong with the sectional. Out of 49 reviews of the sectional 14 have the same issue. Clearly there is something wrong. Macy's furniture & bedding department said we will have to contact the manufacture directly. This has been poor customer service and business on Macy's. Macy's should be standing by its customers.
We were also told that there is a one year manufacturing warantee on the sectional so I would contact Macy's ASAP.
 28th of Feb, 2010 by   Gary Fogarty 0 Votes
Oh yes I agree with the previous letters our sectional arrived aproximately 6-weeks after we ordered it from H-Designer Furniture in Murrieta. The salesman there at the store has been going through hell trying to make things right. Jonathan Louis International has lousy Customer Service. We made an attempt to call and speak to a NANCY whom our sales rep had been corresponding with, talk about rude abrupt that was our experience with NANCY. We spent $1500 for a sectional that after 10-months looks as it is 15-years old. The frame of one side of the sectional broke and is pertruding out of the back. The cushions are totally flattened out. The arm made a cracking sound and something inside let go now the padding on the arm sinks below the level of the top of the arm. We are in our 60's so nobody is abusing the sectional.
Jonathan Louis just sent us some more cushions and I haven't even opened the boxes because this I believe will not fix the problems. I hope we havn't made a $1500 mistake in this purchase I definately would like to return the sectional for store credit but have several more hurdles will have to be cleared. Jonathan Louis's warranty isn't worth the paper it's written on it has many, many loopholes that they are hoping we fall through and just go-away. But guess what we won't. FYI BUY ANOTHER BRAND OF COUCH!!
 17th of May, 2010 by   Not to be taken 0 Votes
We bought the Jive sectional, chair and ottoman at Macy's. The sectional arrived first and by the time the chair and ottoman arrived a month later, the back cushions on the sectional were already breaking down. The ottoman had two broken legs when it arrived that had to be replaced. I called Macy's and the soonest they could send someone out to look at the couch was a month later. The time frame worked to my advantage because by then, the back cushions were much worse and the bottom cushions were already showing wear. The fabric on the back of the couch was rippling and the bracing behind the cushions was so spread out that the fabric was sagging between the bracing. Also, the back cushion on the chair was too wide which caused it to crease in the middle.
The technician who came to look at the couch works for an independent company. He said he couldn't believe the poor workmanship on the couch and he phoned Macy's Customer Service while at my house.
Macy's was great to deal with from the beginning and wanted to replace the set. I told them I wanted to return it for a refund, which is what I got. I was very impressed with Macy's great customer service from beginning to end. The people I talked to were always kind and apologetic for the problems I had. It is important not to wait if you have issues because if the problem is caused by defective material or workmanship, it needs to be taken care of within the warranty period that is stated on the manufacturers tag. Each piece of furniture has one. And it clearly states in the Worry No More warranty that manufacturing defects are only covered by the manufacturer.
It is important to fully read and understand warranties before you make a purchase.
 11th of May, 2011 by   Rollo1 0 Votes
I purchased a JL leather recliner 8 years ago. I have been amazed at how well the cushions and leather has held up and was very pleased untl... The recliner mechanism broke. I thought is was just a spring and beings how my dealer was no longer in business I contacted JL directly. I sent them pictures of the broken coil spring (about 2" long) and a picture of the chair for identification. They sent me new springs, the wrong size for $85!!! When I tied to replace the spring I noted the spring was the wrong size AND one of the mechanism rails was broken. If 2 small springs cost $85 plus $120 for S&H I am afraid to ask about the full mechanism. They say the have a "Limited lifetime warranty" but I guess that is useless. Its a shame because the chair is very high quality with the exception of the reclining mechanism.
 9th of Aug, 2011 by   Jim O Gross 0 Votes
I actually have 4 couches from Jonathan Louis and have had great success. I purchased from their dealers on the website and not the department stores for better pricing and better service. Our sectional sofa is over 10 years old and everything has held up great. we bought the microfiber material because we had 2 new babies and knew they would be destroyed, but we simply took off the covers and washed them in our own washer. I am sitting on the very sectional now while writing this comment. I am thinking of buying a new sectional from JL and selling this one in a consignment shop.
 25th of Dec, 2011 by   Emgeesea 0 Votes
I just recieved a JL sofa I ordered from Macy's 8 weeks ago. Within 2 days of sitting on the sofa - and I am not heavy, only 160 lbs - the fabric is loosening a looking worn. One part of the back cushion also "pops" in and out when I lean back against it, like the springs in that area are bad.

I love the design of the sofa, but am becoming concerned the quality is not there. I have sent email to both Macy's and JL, so we will see what they say. Macy's return policy is within 10 days of delivery, so I am within that, but they make you pay the $85 delivery charge plus a 10% restocking fee. I guess that's better than losing the whole cost of the purchase if I have to replace this couch in a year though.
 11th of Jan, 2012 by   TexAg 0 Votes
We purchased a Jonathan Louis sectional and it started breaking down and compressing within 5 days. The couch was a complete disaster. Fortunately, our furniture company took it back and we bought a different brand that we are very happy with. Jonathan Louis needs to stop making furniture - it's terrible!
 22nd of Feb, 2012 by   Jenoh 0 Votes
I purchased a Jonathan Louis couch four years ago. The cushions were a problem from the start and the couch is sinking! I thought that after all this time I would work with Jonathan Louis to fix my couch but they are completely uncooperative and are acting like its not under warranty, as if it's not the structure of the couch that is making the problems. I have ordered everything to put under the cushions to stop the couch from sinking and it doesn't work! I bought this couch for $1100, thinking it would be a piece of furniture I would have for my life, and now I fear that it will just go to the dumpster.
 28th of Mar, 2012 by   John DiMauro 0 Votes
We have had a JL loveseat, couch, and reclining rocker. From nearly day one the springs on the rocker keep breaking. I have taken it in to repair and once at home, as soon as you attemp to rock the springs break. We have had this into repair five different times. I told the repairman that there is something wrong with the rocking mechanism but he keeps telling me no. It has now been over seven years and my limited lifetime warranty has run out. This has been a nightmare and now I'll have to foot the bill if I want this repaired. It will do no good as the springs break almost immediately. If anyone knows where I can get springs that will actually not break I would appreciate the information.
 7th of May, 2012 by   jcsantana73085 0 Votes
I have to disagree with all the negativity towards this company. I love jonathan louis. I have been a customer for over a decate now. Every three years I get new furniture. Nothong has gone wrong with any one the furniture i had from JLI. Ive bought the jive sectional. Ive had the rajah. Ive bough my mother the this n that. Almost all my friends and relative have JLI furniture. I recommended them and they all love it. Maybe some or your furniture gets damage my the trucking company. Have you seen does miniacs drive!? I think thats the isuue most of you are having. As far as customer service is i am very please woth this guy name Julio i called on to check on my others and he is very helpful polite. Takes care pf my ossues right away. And he always fallows up with me. To make sure that i am taking care of. Try thos company people. I garrantee you will not be disapointed.. I can show you pictures of the furniture ive bough at JLI and its in very good condition..
 13th of Aug, 2012 by   B. Romero 0 Votes
15 month ago I bought Jonathan Louis sofa, love seat, and chair, all with reclining motors. 6 months after we bought the furniture, the fabric is loosening a looking worn. 15 months latter, one of the motors on the recliner stopped working. Of course it is out of warranty. I would NOT recommend this company's sofa's.
 25th of Sep, 2012 by   D.SNYDER 0 Votes
ABOUT THREE MOUNTH, S AFTER DELIVERY THE COUSTIONS STARTED TO SAG AND A BOLT
CAME OUT FROM THE FRAME. I CALLED THE STORE AND THEY WOULD NOT COME AND TAKE
A LOOK AT IT.I TRIED TO CONTACT JONATHAN LOUIS BUT CANT GET ANY INFORMATION ABOUT THEM? .
 18th of Apr, 2013 by   kn.n. 0 Votes
i have jonathan louis sofas for last 15 years, very happy with quality. Never have quality problems. I change my sofas every 5 years, always buy from jonathan louis.
 29th of Apr, 2013 by   furnitureguy2013 0 Votes
I have been selling furniture for over 10 years and I find that the Jonathan Louis line holds up and cannot be beat when
it comes to the quality/price. Macy's gets their Jonathan Louis from Mexico and the quality is not that of the pieces
that come direct out of California(hence the 2 fabric options they offer)
I would recommend getting your Joanthan Louis from a retailer that does custom orders and not from a BIG BOX store
that wants to deal more with quantity than quality!!

Good luck.
 19th of Jul, 2013 by   Peyre 0 Votes
Wow, I wish I would have known all of this before purchasing. I thought JL was a NEW company. I bought mine from Hanks Fine Furniture in MO and had nothing but problems from the start. I didn't get the order for 4 months, then there were problems. I was told it was new to them and this was a new line, so all on back order production. Anyways, my cushions are doing the exact same thing. It's terrible! the material doesn't even line up with the cushion anymore and they look terrible. Three cushions on the couch and only the middle one is actually comfortable. The others are too hard and tend to lean, not level. I hate it. I never thought about them sending me new cushions, I will look into this, otherwise I will try to sell on Craigslist. I hate it.
 5th of Oct, 2013 by   Discriminating1 0 Votes
Wow, wish I had read comments one year ago!!! We bought sofa, loveseat and 2 chairs and the cushions (seat & back) on sofa/loveseat started breaking down within 2 months and just kept getting worse. We just paid $1, 050 to get hi resilient foam in seat cushions and had extra filler added to back cushions as they were so floppy and we had to push them around like a decorator pillow to get comfortable!! What a difference!! This sofa now feels like it should, but oh the cost!! We still have all zippers that are tan with our dark brown fabric and all stitching used is WHITE on dark brown fabric!!! DUH!!! WHATEVER YOU DO DON'T BUY JONATHAN LOUIS BRAND!!!
 18th of Nov, 2013 by   anniekrat 0 Votes
I am obsessed with my JL couch, but for all the wrong reasons. It's like the material isn't typical sofa material and is too loose or thin...the middle cushion of the seat part of my couch was not aligned with the filling and appeared dented on one side, so after a few weeks I unzipped and refit the cover to the filling properly, which helped. That pleased me for about a day. Most couches do not warp after one (average size) person sits on it. Also every time anyone even touches that cushion, the fabric wrinkles/dimples, not to mention the back cushions are already slouching. I have owned this couch for under 6-months people. I know it was not the most expensive couch I could have gotten, which is partly why I got it. But considering my old $400 couch from Hank's held up better over 6 years, there is a quality problem. I am so frustrated with how this couch looks, I don't even want to be in my living room because the sight of that one sloppy couch cushion incenses me! In all honestly I have not called to complain to Hank's Fine Furniture because I feel like I"m being psychotic about a couch, but I consider more every day that goes by because I am so unhappy. I feel like a different fabric choice would help the main problem, but they shouldn't offer to cover a couch in a fabric that won't hold up to LIGHT use.
 9th of Dec, 2013 by   Sugz 0 Votes
I purchased a Jonathan Louis couch about 3 years ago. I am super anal with cleaning it and live alone, so only used by me. The seams on the cushions after a year began separating. I purchased it from Jordan's furniture in MA. They had some guy come out to hand stitch the splits. It looked as bad as the split alone. I was/am not happy! Beside that the fabric on the cushions is loose and wrinkled looking. This couch isn't that old and only one person using it. The age old adage is true in that you get what you pay for. The 1 warrrenty is a joke. Stand by your product Jonathan Louis after all it represents your brand. Save the headaches and look for a better quality brand. I'll be sure to inquire more about these manufacturer warranties on my next purchase.
 22nd of Jan, 2014 by   Upset about color 0 Votes
I have purchased the Teddy Sectional in Otter...only it looks like purple or grey. In the store it was in the green/olive family. Stressed out have had it for 12 hours and does not go with anything I own and I spent a lot since I had to get a custom order. I have the sofa/love seat in the middle with two chaise on each side. Real comfort but the color is killing me. I went to the store and saw a sales person and did not mention my furniture was just delivered and she said the Otter would be in the green family...

Tips to Radically Reduce Restaurant Checks