logo

Hyundai Motor Finance Company
Unsolicited phone calls
3. (12 mins ago)
Upworkptr.com
Stay away from these crooks
4. (19 mins ago)

treatment of employees

JC Penney
Cortana Mall
Baton Rouge, Louisiana
This store treats its employees very badly, a new store manager has come in. She abuses averyone, has fired many long term employees and screams at the employees in public. The employees have to beg for rest room breakes. They are not given the normal bathroom breakes mandated by law. Associates have been scheduled so thin they are working 9 hour shifts often by themselves. The public is not aware that only one or two registers are open because management, in order to save money, is scheduling too few workers on each shift. This causes a lot of frustration as the customeers can't get help in the store; the lines are very long as a result of too few employees working each shift. The associates are often abused by the customers who think they are being neglected and vent on the only person there, the associate. They should go to the manager and lodge their complaint. If the customers complained TO THE MANAGER improvements would be made and the associates and customers would benefit. Recently, when the store was being renivated, the plumbing was damaged. For several weeks employees were working without running water or working toilets, the smell was awful, associates and customers had to use the mall restrooms. The water fountains are still not working as they should, the water smells stink.

Sincerely,
In the Know
Comments United States Bullying and Harassment at Work
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

10th of Dec, 2009 by   sweetieliz 0 Votes
Did you know that the abuse you are describing falls under harassment in the workplace? I would ask a friend to come in and secretly tape this person conducting business in the manner secretly and then report it to the higher management in the company. I would document and arrange for a meeting so they can see this behavior. She should be fired.

Also, if theres a health concern within the stores, contact the health department!
 11th of Dec, 2009 by   Hold on 0 Votes
It's a shame, the employees are afraid to speak up. We are in a recession and they are all afraid of being fired. No one wants to be out of a job. I am not for unions but in this case I wish you had a union to stand up for you. Someone from the corporate office should speak to the employees about the conditions they work under and check out the possible health voilations. I will keep this in mind the next time I go to that store.

Sorry for you.
Baton Rouge
 11th of Dec, 2009 by   Been given the shaft 0 Votes
What a shame, I will try to think of the sales people I meet the next time I go shopping. They may be tired, been on their feet all day or have a full bladder and are just praying they don't wet themselves. Bet they wish they had a union to speak up for them. Everyone hates unions today. J.C. Penny workers sound as though they could use a good union!!!

Just another case of big business taking advantage of the little man. Bet they just want to get rid of all the full time people so they don't have to pay benefits. They hire lots of parttime people, give them what every shifts they will take and keep their hours low so they never qualify for health benefits.

Been given the shaft before
 17th of Dec, 2009 by   Jendra 0 Votes
I work for a well known restuarant chain going into 16 years, the last 3-4 years has been going down hill. We have changed management and the last two managers came into clean house. Always writting employees up for one thing or another, some of these write ups were truly uncontrolable, but still this went into our files so when we have a concern this is basically thrown in our face as punishment . So therefore nothing will be done to console the employees needs.

I have lost work hours and this causing my health benefits to disappear. I have contacted the corporate officem concerning my needs, I am my only support and now have been forced into unemployment and food stamps due to the cut hours, basically 32hrs to just maybe 11 hrs a week, so when I confort my manager for more hours, the write ups and other unfair discussion comes from his mouth, but he says I am an asset to the company for being with them so long, in the same breath he states I am not a team player and my productivity is poor, now since this has been mention, I will tell you my side. I go to work in proper uniform, never miss time, work my self to death trying to inprove what my employer has accused me of. I am given a poor serving station, mostly two table that are either filled with guest when I clock in. Others have 3-4 tables, so therefore I am running their food orders that they cannot seem to, because of the fact they have several guest.

Now comes the part of me not receiving work hours due the fact there isn't hours to give, but my store is continously hiring younger employees and they seem to receive the hours I used to have, and they do not preform to their full job criteria.

Everytime I question this reasoning I do seem to feel retailiation.

What should I do?
 20th of Dec, 2009 by   Lisa5 0 Votes
JC Penneys is terrible to their employees. I was just let go after 5 months because I "did not get 4 credit applications each month" and " I didn't have enough surveys that mentioned my name.
My manager told me "I know you give good customer service but we need the surveys and the credit apps."

I guess it does not matter that I never called in sick, was never late, worked though my breaks because no one re-leaved me. Bottom line -- credit applications and surveys.

Penney's sucks!
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   RECENTLY FIRED JCP EMPLOY. 0 Votes
former jcp employee, read JCPENNEY CONROE TEXAS, There are so many people out of work that is how all the manaers get away with this crap////there is always some one waiting to replace...for the person having trouble with the Penneys managerDO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT go to her supervisor...it will only get you fired...go to lawyer that handles employment cases...goodluck finding one ...find out if your state has a retail
union, they do upnorth...the best you can do is document everything and file for unemployment when they do fire you...goodluck...

BOYCOTT JCPENNEY, , , , , THEY CHARGE 29% INTEREST ON A JCP CREDIT CARD...
 14th of Jan, 2010 by   RECENTLY FIRED JCP EMPLOY. 0 Votes
BOYCOTT JCPENNEY IN ALL STATES, MISS TREATMENT OF EMPLOYEES, OVER CHARGES INTEREST ON JCP CREDIT CARD29% A MONTH, CHARGE SHIPPING ON CATALOG ORDERS
 24th of Jan, 2010 by   IT'SaSHAME 0 Votes
As a current JCP employee (soon to former), I totally understand all of your complaints. I use to work my butt off only to be cut down to 15-20 hours a week. WITHOUT ANY WARNING. Before that, I was receiving 30-35 hours a week. I went to the manager who makes the schedules to possibly get this matter resolved and pretty much received b.s. Its like do you not realize some of us employees have bills to pay?? For the past two weeks, I've only been scheduled once a week for a total of 12 hours. Of course, I tried to talk to her...and nothing was done. Yet, she gives all the hours to people who are KNOWN not to show up and call in. Therefore, I will be making my exit soon. Also...these credit apps! If the customers are suppose to be first and you want them to be satisfied; why do you want us to pressure a burden upon them?? I just won't do it. The only times I got a credit app is because the customer ASKED to apply for one.
 17th of Sep, 2010 by   justice1 0 Votes
I know several people who work there also. Actually, the store is in the process of letting go of all of their long term associates (some with up to 15 and 20 years) and is in the process of replacing them with brand new employees who they can pay less and who garner fewer benefits. In order to accomplish this, they have brought in an "axe woman" to dismiss the long term associates. These people are not being laid off either, they are being FIRED. If someone in the right position were to pull the records of people who have been fired in the last two years, they would find an unreasonable number of long term associates (some with few complaints or write ups in the long history of the company) who were fired in a very short time frame. From what I hear, one of the ladies who was eventually fired was actually threatened with a letter that said "LEAVE BITCH" in her locker. The people who work for this company are in fear of this woman and are in fear of losing their jobs, consequently the long time managers are afraid to stand up for the associates, because their necks are on the line also. In fact, some of them have already been cleaned out, and it won't be but a matter of time until they all are gone. I believe that there is ground for legal action against what this company has done.
 15th of Mar, 2011 by   No More Dedication 0 Votes
JCPenneys was my Career. After 27 Years I was told hours were being cut to 30hrs. Needless to say I lost my Benifits. Vacation I EARNED and My full time Insurance. Nothing can be done to change the situation. This is the Comapanys goal. There biggest expense is the employees benifits. They don't want any full time employees. I felt I should have been grandfathered. But they just look at a figure and not the person who dedicated their whole career to this company. I am a very loyal dedicated associate, I Never call in sick, I'm alwas there on time and provide excellent customer service. But my dedication is dwindling down. My attidude has changed. I'm down now to 20 hrs a week. From full time employee to 20hrs??? I don't understand how they can run a store with people comeing and going. No one wants to stay. I guess the most secured job is the one training all the new part time people because they seem to have a HUGE overturn. Its sad to see what has happened with this company. Associates are not their priority like it was years ago.
 26th of Mar, 2011 by   employee lori 0 Votes
i agree its all about surveys credit apps and selling there magazines,
corporate doesn't care about there employees.
they want you to be a robot and sell there magazines.
they watch and listen to what you say and if they hear you complain you are cut in hours
 28th of Feb, 2012 by   tame_this_brat 0 Votes
Penney, the store its self is not the problem, the problem is this new demon they hired as our new C.E.O he worked us all half crazy for weeks to get the stores the way HE wanted them and then the first slap in the face was a crappy 50% off discount that was ONE day only and only on merchandise that was marked at its lowest price before being sent back. Then the hours started being cut. Then with a weeks notice, all full time employees were cut to 15 to 26 hrs...what kind of greedy b@#@# is he and whos pockets is he really lining? and as far as Ellen goes, I wrote to her to let her know what this ass was doing and guess what? NO REPLY...she is all for standing up for gays, animal rights and so on but not a thought for the people who have stood behind her! Guess they have to find the funds to pay her to! so who's really is the demon, Freak Johnson or worthless Ellen? lets see he dance to that!
 10th of Mar, 2012 by   jumpnjax 0 Votes
From the inside, the situation is insane! Dumping mass volumes in the store in less than a week once a month is not realistic for employees. Management is not in tune with associates and it is clear from the public's point that JCP is not well received by the public. Sadly, this need to go full circle before the public fully gets the whole picture. Yes, Carson's, Kohl's and Macy's stuff is in our store stock rooms because we have "One Happy Return Policy"!! LOL, ps. please do not leave your own articles on the fixtures or counters because yours will also be ticketed and sold - gotta bag a $$$. What a surprise, JCP stock plummets!!!
Love to all
from the inside seeing outside!!

Samsung Mobile Unpacked - CTIA 2011 Conference Highlights