logo

www.richgoptr.com
why hold my payment ?
3. (7 mins ago)
Ak Management
Money taken out of my account
4. (7 mins ago)
JOHN KENNEY AKA POBAMA25@YAHOO.COM - SCAMMER

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

J. Murphy Firm, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania Complaints & Reviews - solicitation letter

J. Murphy Firm Contacts & Informations

J. Murphy Firm

Posted: 2011-03-16 by    PA Customer

solicitation letter

J. Murphy Firm
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Phone: 412.
jmurphyfirm.com
This lawyer sends letters out to people owing credit card debt. He wants to charge $699 for his "assistance" to me. He must be on the computer typing out letters all day long. Very weird that he wouldn't be in court doing the work there.
Comments United States Credit Cards
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More J. Murphy Firm complaints
J. Murphy Firm - J. Murphy Firm Rip Off

Comments

16th of Mar, 2011 by   Erie County Diva 0 Votes
Hi there.
I saw this posting and looked this guy up too after opening my mail today. My fee is $599 not $699 but he will get the case "stricken" from the courts. What does that mean? Stricken like secretly erased?
He sounds more like snake salesman than an attorney. My local lawyer told me that is all he does, sends out letters with agreements attached to scare people into mailing him money.
 31st of Oct, 2011 by   AxelF +1 Votes
Joseph P Murphy and his law firm, The J. Murphy Firm, are legitimate and excellent.

A little background: We owed multiple thousands due to a truly and deeply unfair situation. We had read Kevin Trudeau's book Debt Cures "They" Don't Want You to Know About along with doing research on the excellent web site Credit Infocenter

We were getting close to the statute of limitations running out on this credit card debt, but one of the largest national debt collection companies sued us before the time was up.

We were going to try to fight it ourselves by filing our own answer (that is what they call the initial court filing) to the court based on the information gleaned from the book and especially the website, but given the amount of the debt, we did not want to screw this up. We felt maybe we could deal with a $5K screw up, but not a multi-thousand dollar screw up. We learned that if we had responses in our answer which were incorrect, it would become part of the permanent court record and very hard to recant. We just felt we could not gamble.

In the meantime, I received The J. Murphy Firm's "guarantee" letter in the mail and was very skeptical as well. However, through some research, I discovered his practicing status was active with no disciplinary action via The Disciplinary Board of the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania

So I called him up. He was courteous and helpful and explained how the process worked and how the guarantee worked. He won my confidence.

BOTTOM LINE: Within a month we received a Praecipe to Dismiss without Prejudice. In other words, the plaintiff (the debt collection company) dropped the charges. They dropped it for a whole of host of reasons which boils down to they could not prove the debt was ours or that is was properly assigned to them so that they could collect (or something like that). It is possible the plaintiff could re-file before the statute of limitations is up (which is 4 years in Pennsylvania) if they got the correct paperwork, but the likelihood is they will not be able to get that information. In fact, I have been told it is extremely rare that they ever do.

I am no lawyer, but I hope I stated this as clearly and accurately as possible.

So would I hire The J. Murphy Firm again if I needed to? Damn right in a New York minute I would!

P.S. Regarding a previous comment that he must sit around and type these letters all day is just stupid. My understanding is that he fights hundreds to possibly over a thousand of these each year. He explained to me that he has a highly automated, very high-tech system that generates these letters for cases he is fairly certain he can win. In fact, the majority of the process is automated, with the exception of some things including his judgment as to what is wrong with the plaintiff’s lawsuit, what objections to raise, and how to proceed. So that is why he can win so many cases a year charging such a low fee.
 3rd of Nov, 2011 by   AxelF 0 Votes
Wanted to clarify my previous post on Oct. 31, 2011. Dropped the charges means we do not have to pay anything to the plaintiff. That is, we won. And let me be very clear: The J. Murphy Firm immeasurably improved our lives because we could have never paid back this crushing and completely unfair debt.
 3rd of Nov, 2011 by   AxelF 0 Votes
I am so grateful, I wanted to add this last post. Before ever thinking of going to a debt settlement company where you will still end up owing probably 60% or more of the original debt, call The J. Murphy Firm. Again, we did nothing wrong -- The J. Murphy Firm via some legal document simply asked the plaintiff to prove we owed the debt and that the debt was legally assigned to the plaintiff by the original credit card issuer and the plaintiff could do neither. The J. Murphy Firm proved that and we won. Sorry if this is starting to sound like an advertisement, but we are still in disbelief we won and extremely grateful and jumping-out-of-our-seats happy that we took a chance and responded to his letter with the guarantee. When you owe as much as we did and then a law firm (in this case, J. Murphy) wipes it away, you would be super happy and effusive in your praise too.
 6th of Dec, 2011 by   Mary Valentine 0 Votes
I am very pleased with the J.Murphy Firm. This firm helped us after my husband lost his job after 40 years, and could not find another one. We had unemployment and nothing else. I do not work because I have a teenager with learning problems as well as physical issues and I have to be home with and for him. Credit card companies were calling all the time, and getting really mean when I tried to tell them we had no money and ask them to make arrangements, but they did not want to hear it. The J. Murphy Firm helped us so much that I can't begin to thank. This is a good firm and helps people who have no where else to turn when dealing with the hateful people from the credit card companies.
 6th of Dec, 2011 by   Catfishmen 0 Votes
Mr. Murphy is my attorney. He is an extremely competent, hard working, honest lawyer. I would not use a debt settlement firm but I will continue to use The Murphy Firm to face and deal with any credit issues including a lawsuit. Mr. Murphy is an excellent individual and my first choice for dealing with any credit or other legal issue.
 9th of Dec, 2011 by   MS LFL 0 Votes
Joe Murphy was an answer to my prayer when I needed help with a credit card lawsuit. After receiving his letter and speaking to Joe directly I immediately deposited the $699 to his account . He not only took care of all court filings and deadlines without me ever having to show up in court, but he advised me every step of the way so I was always informed. Joe Murphy helped me in my hour of desperation and gave me peace. Because of Attorney Joe Murphy I sleep easy every night. I consider myself blessed knowing him. Joe delivered what he said he would do and
I would highly recommend him to anyone needing legal representation.
 15th of Dec, 2011 by   Pgh Customer 0 Votes
The J. Murphy Firm is reputable and excellent. They helped us settle a case with very little hassle and no appearance in court. We were very happy with his firm and they do an exemplary job. The initial "complaint" on this site is ridiculous and false. We would recommend this firm for anyone in need of help from debt that is out of control. The price is also excellent, and the timeliness of their work is also excellent. It is important that false claims, like the above be countered with the truth, and we can vouch for this firms excellence!
 21st of Dec, 2011 by   cagittings 0 Votes
I received letters from a debt collection agency that had me terrified. Who were these people and why were they hounding me? I received one of the letters that Mr Murphy sends out, and I acted upon it. This man, Joe Murphy, was my savior from this collection company and the law suit they filed against me. It was dismissed. The games these banks/debt collection companies play with people's lives is criminal in my estimation. Mr Murphy was very upfront and honest with me from start to finish. Because of that, and the fact that he took time to talk to me about the circumstances of my case, I had total confidence in his ability to help my situation. It was one of the smartest things I ever did. Thank you very much Mr Murphy! Carol Gittings
 21st of Dec, 2011 by   cagittings 0 Votes
I screwed up. I firmly believe Mr Murphy was my savior in the law suit that was filed against me. He had the case dismissed and for that I am forver gratful. When I made the comment above I misunderstood the agree/disagree comment. I agree with all those that applaud Me Murphy's efforts on their behalf. Great job, Mr Murphy!
 10th of Mar, 2012 by   CBHJ 0 Votes
I used The J.Murphy Firm on more than one occasion when dealing with a Credit Card Lawsuits. He is exceedingly effective, personable, and produces winning results. I would not hesitate to use his services in the future. He is the type of man you want on your side.
 9th of Apr, 2012 by   Musicbuff 0 Votes
So this 1st comment here said sounds like salesman n scaring people into mailing him money. Is this mailing the actual lOcation of the actual Murphy law firm in bar association? Does he actually win all these cases or gets them dropped all together
 5th of Aug, 2013 by   SMCo 0 Votes
I was very happy with the work that Mr Murphy did on my behalf and would recommend him to anyone in need of representation.

Consumer Update: Save Your Skin from Sun