logo

Plenty of Fish
Fraud and cheating
4. (14 mins ago)
Disability RMS
Payoff Drs to not get disability
5. (30 mins ago)
comfortaire direct comfortaire mattress reviews
Positive product and company

Posted:    Valerie

Think twice

ITT Technical Institute
www.itt-tech.edu
As a former employee of ITT Technical Institute (as an enrollment representative and then as a Career Services Specialist), I encourage you to think twice about attending ITT Tech. Please understand that I am not a disgruntled employee. In fact, as an employee they treated me okay. But the bottom line is, my integrity was challenged on a daily basis as I saw students come through who should have never been enrolled in school.

The admission requirements are sub-par to say the least...in essence, anyone can be admitted into most programs. And boy, do students pay. At over $425 per quarter credit hour, ITT is praying on the less fortunate (in many cases) and encouraging them to take loans they will never be able to pay.

From what I witnessed of the education, it is well below average (aside from a few good instructors). I attended and graduated from two state schools (both of which were much less expensive) and received a much higher quality education.

And finally, the most important part that most people do not realize: ITT is a for-profit, proprietary institution (State schools and community colleges are not-for-profit and not publicly traded). It is publicly traded. What this means: Students are paying to keep shareholders happy and to pad the pockets of the executive staff located in Carmel, IN.

When I was an admissions representative, I was reviewed by the number of students I enrolled. It didn't matter whether I thought they could cut it or not, they wanted numbers and that was the bottom line. When I was in career services, I was judged by the numbers of 'placed' students. It didn't matter if they had a felony or no competency-they still had to be placed or I didn't keep a job.

A natural question you may have: Why did you work there for 2.5 years if you had so many issues with the school? if I had it to do over, I wouldn't have. But now I'm going to try to keep some people from making a decision they will regret.

The Bottom Line: Attend a community college or a public, state school. It will save you a great deal of money and the education will be much better.
Comments United States Education
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

21st of Jun, 2008 by   william +1 Votes
As an instructor for ITT, I can confirm the money-grabbing and numbers-driven culture . If you don't meet your quota for attendance and grades, it must be your fault. This results in a rating that keeps you from teaching certain classes.

Instructors are reminded and exhorted to call every absent student for every class and remind the budding scholars that they are enrolled in a program. On top of that, we are expected to document every contact in a computer system. We are placed in a position of treating adults like children and nagging them to improve their own lot in life.

Students are mailed reminders that a new term is about to start and that they should plan on attending classes. On top of that, instructors are expected to collect the reminders from students for an ipod raffle! Students that show up literally 3 hours late for class still counts as a valid attendance. Students who sign-in and immediately leave is considered a valid attendance.

Pizza parties for classes that have 100% attendance during a crucial week. Free video games and popcorn in the student lounge. Free donuts and juice to entice students to arrive for finals week.

All this and much more leads to grade inflation and social promotion of students who have neither the ambition nor the smarts to copy the answers from the back of the book to homework problems.

A large portion of the student body are undisciplined, lazy, and unfocused dullards with a huge sense of entitlement. If you are serious about bettering yourself - steer clear of ITT.
 9th of Jul, 2008 by   Bill Ritenour +2 Votes
I regretfully admit I am a a graduate of ITT, with a worthless AAS degree in Multimedia. I received a little bit of this and a little bit of that in training in various aspects of multi media, but not enough of any one area to really have a grasp and understanding of the subject. Also, I did not have any portfolio of any substance worthy of showing to prospective employers. Employers usually want five years of work experience plus a Bachelor's degree, and a good portfolio of work. I graduated in 2006, and I am still working in a job that has nothing to do with my so called training. I considered continuing my education to get a Bachelor's degree, but I TT's credits are not transferable anywhere except to another ITT campus. I feel like I have been robbed of my money and time.
 15th of Jul, 2008 by   Amanda Both +2 Votes
I also am I graduate of ITT also with the worthless Associates degree in multimedia. I graduated with all the phony honors, though I was actually going to go somewhere with my life. I got a job working as a web design specialist for 2.5 mnths then was laid off. ITT promised me that they would help me get a job for the rest of my life.. huh.. with a very poor education from that school I shouldn't have expected any less then no help at all... Now I can't get a job anywhere in the computer field and I'm working for a self-storage facility. I have stopped making my loan payments because I can't afford it and feel like yes, I have been robbed.
 9th of Aug, 2008 by   Lil +2 Votes
I've been interested in furthering my education for some time. I'd always seen the commercials on tv, like a lot of people, for ITT Tech and thought it sounded like a great school. I figured it would be better to get a specialized degree in my area of interest rather than go to a community college, since I thought that a specialized school would be... well, specialized! And they would be better suited to teaching me what I'd need to know.

Just a bit of background about me, I did graduate from high school as an average, rather unexceptional student. Though my parents had promised they would set money aside for me for school, by the time I graduated high school, there just wasn't any money saved for me, so I decided I'd just work instead and if I ever decided to go to school, I could look into it when I felt I was ready.

I sent off for some information and got in touch with a guy named Vince, who was a recruiter for the Seattle ITT Tech and we had a nice chat. I explained that although I would have loved to attend the actual, physical school, I would be unable to as I lived too far away and didn't have access to regular, reliable transportation. So I told him that I would be interested in attending online classes instead. He told me that would be no problem and at the end of our chat, he told me that someone from financial aid would be getting in touch with me the next day. I explained to him that it wasn't the best time and could we do it on Friday, instead, and he said fine - and yet, sure enough, on Thursday, I get a call from someone from financial aid, all eager to fill out my forms!

I was a little miffed by this, but I was done with my work for the day, so I thought I might as well go ahead and get it taken care of, while I had the guy on the phone. He went through a questionnaire with me about my finances and so on and mentioned student loans and when I said that I didn't have any credit and probably wouldn't be able to *GET* a student loan, he said 'oh, don't worry, we can get you one!' and so we continued with the process of filing the FAFSA info and filling out my enrollment form at the site for the September quarter.

We concluded the call and that was about the time I got a sinking feeling. Right around the point where I received a couple of emails from him with attachments that I would need to fill out and send. I did a search and found the postings here and was very dismayed, to say the least. The very next day, I got in contact with Chase loans and had them cancel my student loan application.

Just today, I emailed the financial aid guy:

'I have been doing a great deal of research about ITT since I spoke with you last and I have not been pleased by what I found. In point of fact, I was left feeling very troubled. I have contacted Chase and had them
cancel my application for a student loan and I would like for you to cancel my enrollment for online courses at ITT. I will not be talked into reapplying for the loan, so don't bother calling - you will not be
speaking to me again on the phone. The next email that I expect from you is one notifying me of my enrollment being cancelled.

Thank you.'

and then received this rather whiny email from him in response:

'So there isn't a reason why? I have no idea what information you are finding, but I feel that we should at least talk about this. Generally when you look on the web, you will find a lot of negative information
because the people who have been affected negatively usually speak the loudest. There are thousand of testimonials out there from students who
have been positively affected by ITT Tech as well. I know you can find those on the web too. I really have no idea what would have caused this change of stance from you, but would at least like to talk with you
about this. This message came on kind of strong and it's making me feel as if I did something. If that is the case, I have no idea what I would/could have done to put get you feeling this way. So if you wouldn't mind, please call me back or write back. Thank you.'

His response came, though, after about three attempts to phone me - all of which I ignored.

I sent this response back:

'As I said in my previous email, I have done some research and was not at all happy with what I found. What I found, how I found it and my reasons for wanting this enrollment canceled are all my business.

I will not answer or receive any calls from you from this point on as my decision has been made. Cancel the enrollment application immediately and send confirmation via email that it has been done.'

I haven't filled out or sent in the two application forms that were forwarded to me by this financial aid person, so I suppose my next question is - is there anything else I need to do? Or am I in the clear? Any further information would be much appreciated.

Just as an update to this - I sent those emails to the financial aid person who'd been assisting me on the 4th and 5th of this month (August) and yet, just today, I receive a letter in the mail from the admissions office congratulating me on being accepted into the program. The letter is dated August 6th. I tried the number on the acceptance letter and was unsurprised to find that it was out of service, so I found the number at the ITT site and got the local information for campus admissions in my state. I have already left messages in the general voicemail and in the registrar's voicemail as to my completely and total refusal to attend their classes and that I want to withdraw IMMEDIATELY.

I will not attend a single class, as I do not want to be held responsible for using any of their precious 'resources' and get stuck with any sort of a bill - since I couldn't pay it off, even with a student loan (which I cancelled just three days after speaking with the financial aid person and applying) - and I'll be contacting them every day until I receive written proof of my removal from this sham of a system. If they want to dick me around, then I will give them the fight of their lives.
 13th of Aug, 2008 by   Greg Perkins +2 Votes
As a former student of ITT I hold both associates and a BS from ITT and both are worthless. The accreditation is not recognized / honored by serious employers nor by any "real" school. No masters or PHD in the future. They are not regionally accredited. I questioned this several times through my 4+ years and always felt like I was being told half truths. To anyone who is thinking of going to ITT research what you are told about their "national" accreditation and see if it is recognized by your state. You will find the truth.
I was not the typical 18 year old fresh out of HS and I should have done my research. I was finally able to finish what I started years ago I was going to earn my BS. I wanted to learn what I experienced at ITT was not a quality education. Entrance exam? Its the front door. Sub standard textbooks a few honest teachers who said as much some teachers didn't show up for class some stated that this was the same stuff that has been taught and everyone already knew it and that was class. Some great teachers who really knew their stuff and did their best only to find that they were not there long because they broke the golden rule and were honest with the students. I now have two worthless pieces of paper and $40, 000.00 debt for it.
 26th of Aug, 2008 by   sevenalive +1 Votes
Everyone needs to go to It Takes Time http://ittakestime.org.

We are trying to start a class action lawsuit against ITT. You can also share and read stories about experiences at ITT Tech.
 17th of Dec, 2008 by   steve +1 Votes
I attended ITT TECH. for a little over a year and was told when I signed up with the School that any payments would be deffered until after completion of my Construction Managment/ Auto Cadd courses. A few of the classes that I had been enrolled in we're in my opinion, completley unecessary and had nothing to do with the Construction Managment or Cadd. For example, computer solutions, introduction to computer strategies, problem solving stratagies and photoshop we're just a few. People in CDD don't need to learn how to take apart computers or know about operating systems do we? Why do we need to do articals in the world in the first semester. The teacher's comments we're "This class is to start to wake up your minds that you haven't in a while". What? The teacher for the photoshop class was completley uneducated, She had to refer to the book alot on how to do somthing on photoshop and instructed the class to go home and take the tutorial. Once again why do CDD photoshop? Seems to me, ITT had to find a way to spend MY money. I paid ITT to teach me how to use Auto Cadd, not photoshop. Alot of us taking the CDD course were completely confused as to whywe needed this class. .I would like to know how I can try to get my money back from ITT or who regulates them. i This school has done nothing but take my money and the Governments grants that I was given and put us in classes we did not need to take . They took advantage of students that we're under the impression that they couldn't get into a better School . I'm $35, 000 in debt and have no degree to show for it, I hope any new students that are thinking of enrolling into ITT-TECH is able to read these complaints first and realize that ITT is just a school that wants your money . They're not interested in your education. If there is anyone filling a law suit against ITT-TECH please email me . spauley1@gmail.com
 21st of Jan, 2009 by   Harvestchild03 +1 Votes
I have attended other institutions in the past and I have never in my life experienced as many problems as I have with ITT Tech. As aforementioned they are defintely over priced! I started off in the Bachelor's program and after 2 quarters downgraded to the Associates Degree program. I even doubled up on classes in order to graduate six months before my anticipated date. I paid over $30, 000 dollars for 1 1/2 quarters and found out that the degree I obtained for 75% of schools an nearly 100% in my hometown (NYC) did not consider the degree to be official!!! This was the most painful information that I obtained. On top of that they will not release my transcipt to an institution (Walden University) who will accept their questionable credits and now they are telling me that they cannot release the transcript due to a hold. I have contacted the school directly in regards to the hold and I continually get the run around. Either I am forwarded to another employee who forwards me somewhere else, or I receive the voicemail box of an employee who also transfers me to someone else! This by far is ludacris!!! I need ANSWERS and cannot get any. In the meantime I am faced with haveing to start all over again. I am so disgusted and fedup with ITT politics. Attending that institution was the biggest, I mean BIGGEST mistake ever! I will write complaints on every website if I have to to get anyone to listen to me when I advise them to SSTAY AWAY FROM ITT TECH!!! IF anyone can offer me assistance as to how to go about addressing these problems please email me (Harvestchild03@hotmail.com). Thanks for listening.
 3rd of Feb, 2009 by   REDDHOTTSS -2 Votes
I believe education is what you make of it. No matter where you go as long as you graduate you shoud be proud of your accomplishments. I have several friends and family members whom have graduated and got what they paid for from ITT Technical Institute the two main things they went to college to accomplish... Which is education and training to assist them with real life skills and help them find a job to use the skills they accuired while attending school. So if you need help finding a job or want to complete your degree call them 858 571 8500 need help deferring student loans they will help you. I know this to be a fact. My brother made 42000 right out of school. I have two friends whom work for Depatment of Defense make over 85000 while they are in school ... The San Diego Campus Rocks... Thanks for all your help ...
 6th of Apr, 2009 by   Sacarlyn +1 Votes
I went to ITT Tech 4 years ago and only recently am finding out how much my schooling was for only 1 year. So far, 65, 000 dollars, that is including pell grants they took out, federal loans and the loans they took from Sallie Mae. I found out about the pell grants and the federal loans this year when I was looking to go back to school. Just like a previous commenter, I too am looking for anyone that has filed a lawsuit against ITT Tech. If there is a class action lawsuit, I would like to know about it too. Please e-mail me at tdpolizzi@gmail.com.
 12th of May, 2009 by   dtraskos +1 Votes
If there is a class action lawsuit, SIGN US UP. My fiance has literally been turned away from jobs because the degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Technology (coming out of the Michigan campus) is UNACCREDITED if before 2007 I think. Each campus is different, we are finding and SOME are accredited, not all. He spent 65k for the education to be unemployed since October 13, 2008. Sallie Mae is just as bad. They told us the loans were in deferment and then got a bill for 600 bucks while he wasn't working. Now he has defaulted and it has been sent to a collection agency. If we recoup just the tuition costs from being involved in the class action lawsuit, we are in. I can be contacted at deirdre_traskos@hotmail.com.
 19th of Jun, 2009 by   FormerEmployee +2 Votes
I worked as a Financial Aid Representative at ITT and I agree with a lot of the negative comments posted here. A lot of the students at the South Bend Indiana Campus barely passed the admissions test and showed very little competency but were pushed by Admissions Counselors to attend school because they needed to recruit as many students as possible to keep their jobs. Similarly, I had to convince students to take out almost $50, 000 in loans for a TWO YEAR degree so that I could keep my job. If I did not hit my numbers, ie, I had to finish Financial Aid for at least 67% of the students, then I could be fired. A lot of students come in and just want information but the Admissions Counselors push them through because that is what ITT wants them to do. Then they are told to schedule an appointment to meet with Financial Aid. About half of the students never showed up because they did not really want to make a commitment or they felt like they were pushed into signing up. Then, a lot of the students I met with could not even understand the financial aid I was giving them and I was suppose to tell them that they should attend? Most of our kids would drop out partially through school anyway because there is not support. Then they are told that they can take out a "loan through the school" at 0%. What they don't know is that when they become sophomores, Eli Lilly Federal Credit Union is picking up that 0% loan and charging the students about 15% interest - some pay more and some less depending on their credit but most students get about 15%. I think this is terrible to bait the students like this and then just throw them a 15% loan. And then, the employees I worked with did not even care about the students and would not help to make sure they are getting what they need. And for any potential students who are reading this, keep this in mind - you CANNOT take out extra money past the cost of attendance. So if you need money to live on or pay your bills, you cannot get it at this school. I think that you can get a better education at a state school and pay much much less. ITT is not worth it.
 22nd of Jun, 2009 by   terminathan +2 Votes
I have nothing to say that you haven't already heard got screwed by ITT Boise. Was told credits would transfer, LIE! Now I have over 40k in loan debt and would love to give this BS Degree back and get my money. Contact me here nathanrlewis1@gmail.com with information.
 24th of Jun, 2009 by   Sacarlyn 0 Votes
If there are so many people getting taken by this so-called "school", why hasn't anything been done about it? Does anyone have any information about anyone that will take action or information about taking action, please contact me at tdpolizzi@gmail.com
 5th of Jul, 2009 by   Awkwardlyawesome +1 Votes
I also graduated from the multimedia department, AAS, 2004 Dayton(OH) Campus. Same boat as everyone else, debt, no job, no way to pay it back. This school was so bad that I was telling my teachers how to do things. I graduated with a 3.6 and though my transcript doesn't reflect it, I was literally there 1/5 of the time I was supposed to be because I got tired of going and just went when I wanted...and STILL graduated with honors and a useless 36k dollar degree.

The extent of help I've received since graduating is occasional ignored emails. If anybody is seriously organizing class action suits count me in. Not only me but I could get the rest of my class in on it too I'm pretty sure. Not to mention a couple of my teachers who I kept in contact with would probably be willing to help out, hopefully, considering I helped them teach the class.

My email is Awkwardlyawesome@inbox.com
 23rd of Jul, 2009 by   fins house +1 Votes
My husband attended ITT- Springfield, VA. for his associates and Bs degrees. Everything your comments say is true and then some. We recently received paper work from sallie mae about pass due amounts and we pulled every paper from the school, sallie mae and chase and none of the amounts match. It was like $30, 000 off. ITT basically said we can go f-off and were no help. We are now in the process of filing chapter 13 because the 900 bucks they want a month is not possible. We have called the board of education and every person we can think of but we are not stopping until the school and sallie mae are held accountable for the lives they have destryed with their stories. If anyone is willing to be involved with our next step please e-mail us at -glewis05@verizon.net because my next step is using the media to open some eyes.
 1st of Aug, 2009 by   ITT-Tech Is a joke,Casey McClure TN +1 Votes
I am currently attending ITT-TECH and i can also see were u all are coming from . My experience so far is teachers who don't give a F#*$ about the actuall student . They expect u to be able to do certain assighnments, but when u confront them about HELP they say E-Mail me and i'll see if I can answer any Questions u may have what kind of school says that to a student? The classes are just as described if u show up at all u are counted as being there. I have never been to a school that is so out of touch with the whole meaning of teaching.They do not care about giving u an education, they care about the money they are making on people just like me and u. And if there is a real lawsuit going on let me in on it please!!!bigboy718@comcast.net
 1st of Aug, 2009 by   MRamos 0 Votes
I am currently enrolled in ITT Strongsville, OH and the teachers there are great! Most of them are over qualified (My math instructor has a PHD in physics) What I notice is they let anyone enroll. Some students technical competence is meager at best. I have to say that I learned a lot here, I was introduced to open source technology and I haven't looked back since. I haven't had any problems with FA yet, and the career services dept. is a joke!
 6th of Aug, 2009 by   Christopher MuthaFuckin' Clark +2 Votes
READ THIS COMPLAINT!!!

Itt Tech Is a Joke! Used car salesmen get you in the door to sign papers you don't understand to take classes you don't need. $1500 per class for 11 weeks/ ONE class per week. What can you learn in 11 classes? I'll tell you nothing! My used car salesman called me every week until orientation and then until school started. Now when I see him in the hall, he doesn't even say hi. It's all about the numbers. They got me for one quater, they won't get me for another one. The state college here costs $9500 for one year. ITT TECH charges $23, 000 for one year! How can they get away with this! Has anyone brought this to our government's attention? Problem solving class, Stategies Class, Intro to pc class- all Jokes; didn't teach anything; cost me $4500.

DO NOT GO TO ITT!!!
 10th of Aug, 2009 by   Manny216 -3 Votes
You always get what you put into the class. Some people just aren't cut for ITT. If you don't like hands on training and small classes then go to a bigger school where you only learn half as much. Two years ago I couldn't burn a DVD now I am hacking wireless networks and making $$$ fixing computers.

Consumer Protection with Fox 2