IOS Telephone

Unauthorized billing

IOS Telephone
Making Connection through Charlotte NC. Flight on weather delay. Called wife to change airport pickup time. Charged $33.29 for 2 minute call.

Telephone had no warnings about high fees. No instructions to ask for fee quote. No operator was involved.

800 number provided by my credit card company reached operator after 30 minute hold. operator refused to provide any contact information for equipment company. Operator claimed to be operator only and not connected to equipment company who set the fees. Internet search did not provide any information on equipment company.

I will never again use a credit card to make a telephone call. As far as I am concerned, the airports are complicit!
Complaint comments Comments (37) Complaint country United States Complaint category Unauthorized Charges
Was the above complaint useful?

22nd of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same thing for Raleigh, NC with IOS. We got a charge of $5 first, then a second charge of $28 for the same 2 minute or so call. Total cost of $33 for a couple minutes. We've learned our lesson too.
 27th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Used IOS in DFW. Made a 30 sec call and was billed $14.44. When called the company, they insist that it is a 5 minute call logged in the system and it can't be argued. What a scam!
 30th of Apr, 2009 by    0 Votes
Yes, I just found a $41 for a 2 min, and a $17 for less than 30 sec calls.

How on earth can one complain. It is Gotchea! Capitalism
 21st of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was charged 57$ for around 5 min. Before accepting the charges I asked if the rates were like a normal collect call, they said yes... What is this company, there is no way to trace them, even the credit card companies cant!
 24th of May, 2009 by    0 Votes
Fricken rip off charged $38.26 for less than a minute call
 8th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes
I accepted a collect call (IOS telephone) from my husband who called from the airport in Atlanta. I barely talked for less than 2 minutes. first they charged $5 to my mastercard, 2 days later the charge showed up as $26.74. My credit card co is trying to contact this IOS telephone, but I have little hope, reading all these reports on the internet.
 17th of Jun, 2009 by    0 Votes

IOS Telephone - exorbitant charges
New York
New York

i was at the Wellington hotel in nyc for 3 days and had to inform a friend that i had arrived. i was always warned NOT to use the phone in hotel rooms since they charge high fees so i went down to the lobby to make my call at the pay phone- which did noat accept money- only credit cards. there was no information on charge nor was i, in anyway, advised of charges. i was billed for two calls, each of which was, at most 2 minutes, $11.63 and 12.65. both calls were in new york city! this is totally outragous!!!
i expect an immediate reply and adjustment to these ridiculous charges!

sharrie shani
mail: sharrieshani@hotmail.com
 30th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
IOS telephone charges are an absolute rip off!
I was on holiday in the Boston area from the U.K., and phoned England twice during that time. My credit card bill has arrived, showing a collective charge for the two phone calls of £120.00!!
I was on the phone a maximum of 10 minutes (if that) each time.
That would mean a charge of £6.00 per minute - ludicrous!!
I'm am totally disgusted with this service, which was advertised as a cheap way of making calls, on ALL the call boxes.
I'm from the U.K. so I have no idea who I could report this to. But I'm assuming there must be a police or government department who would be interested in this operation. It smells badly of fraudulent practice.
Can someone in the U.S. who has had a similar experience, report this service to an appropriate agency for investigation?
 30th of Jul, 2009 by    0 Votes
get a cell phone
 5th of Aug, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Same thing happened to me in the Atlanta airport. I will look into this further and if I make any headway I will report back.
 21st of Sep, 2009 by    +1 Votes
Looks like there's a common theme here. I was staying at a lodge in the southern Sierra Nevada of California where there was no cell phone service and I got nailed $28.57 for a call that lasted less than 1 minute. I called my wife to give her the pay phone number so she could call me back, but when she tried dialing, she couldn't get through. Anyway, it is a total scam and rip off. I will avoid IOS in the future.
 23rd of Sep, 2009 by    0 Votes
I was charged $52 for a 3 to 4 minutes call from Narita Airport in Tokyo to another cell phone (international cal).
The thing is, nowhere was I warned about the fees. I was expeting something expensive like maybe $3 a minute but that is outrageous. I'll see what I can do to complain/sue. If there's a class action, count me in.
 16th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

Made a collect call to wife from Bennet Spring State Park, Missouri. First call we did not connect as wife not home. Was charged $18.37 for nothing! Second call was made the following day and did make contact. Call lasted 3-4 minutes and was charged $ 30.21! Nothing on this pay phone to indicate to the public what the charges would be. I am also very upset with Bennet Spring State Park as this phone is on their premises and this company is ripping off Bennet Spring customers. I will refer this to the Mo. Dept of Natural Resources who operate Bennet Spring State Park and the Mo. Attorney General's office. This is a total ripoff!

17th of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes
Used credit card from a pay phone when car broke down. Call lasted 2 minutes at most. Charged $23 without notice and without operator involvement. Tried calling IOS 800 number multiple times to dispute - would not connect after holding or disconnects after several minutes. Complete rip off of consumer. Disputing charges through credit card company.
 22nd of Oct, 2009 by    0 Votes

IOS Telephone - Organized larceny: Credit card phone calls
IOS Telecommunication
Phone: +41442911855

Was on holiday in the US travelling on my own and had to make short phone calls to France to say "I'm still alive".

Did not want to use my mobile phone as it is expensive. If I had known.

So, I used the public phones with credit card (forget the coins) to make six calls. No info on rates in the phone cabin. From earlier, inexpensive experiences calling with credit card in Europe, I did not worry. Again, if I had known.

Bitter surprise when I came back home after 7 weeks and got my credit card bill:

Total charge for my six calls: 513$ !!! And I did stay only a couple of minutes on each call.

It is simply organized larceny: I cannot imagine that in a country like the US something like that is possible.

Worse is: I feel ripped off and helpless. I used the service naively, and don't see any mean to contest.
 4th of Nov, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same thing happened to me in Dallas airport, there are no coind telephone, si you HAVE to use your credit card...

My call did not was longer than 10 min, and i was charged for 75 USD!!

where can i complain???

i'm starting to think taht airports are agreed about it!
 2nd of Dec, 2009 by    0 Votes
Same thing happened in Portland Oregon to my husband and I. He called to tell me he was stranded downtown and needed me to pick him up... The call was 51 Seconds and we were charged $15.16. The operator I talked to said there are fee quotes upon request when using the phone to call. CRAP! Then when I call to dispute it they act like I am in the wrong. I WILL NEVER USE A CREDIT CARD to make a call again.
 11th of Feb, 2010 by    0 Votes
Yes, I too was charged $15.76 for a call that was just a few seconds (I hung up when the answering machine picked up), using a payphone in the Bellagio Hotel in Las Vegas.

Unbelievable that the Bellagio would want to be associated with a scam company like this, but there it is.
 27th of Apr, 2010 by    +1 Votes
ILD Telecommunications, Inc can be a hard business to track down. It seems to have multiple addresses, such as 3230 W. Commercial BL VD, Suite 360, Oakland Park, FL 33309. My experience comes from ILD CORP 5000 Sawgrass Villiage Circle suite 30 Ponte Vedra Beach, FL 32082 (or 32083?) (both area codes were found with it). IOS TEL is another name listed, such as what might appear on your credit card statement.

When reading more reviews, google this company using ILD and IOS TEL (depending if its pay phone/home phone) and from both you will learn the extreme costs this company provides to both your home and pay phone bills. I experienced this pay phone symptom as I did not even know the name of this company when they showed up on my credit card statement.

My experience includes accepting a 3 minute phone call which was called collect to me and accepted by me with my credit card. I recall no easy way to listen to costs associated with this call, though the company claims it is possible. The caller also will be equally in the dark. For the 3 minutes I was charged roughly 26 dollars. From goggle I learned that 6-10 dollar per minute charges (for the bundle of hidden fees you will pay, read on to see what they are) are normal for this company.

According to the company when asked:

Rates cannot be posted on the phone because there are so many factors involved in determining rates, i.e. called number, auto operator or live operator, billing method, was destination number sent by the phone or did we have to ask for it, station to station or person to person and the list goes on. This is why payphone operators are not required by the FCC or the state's regulatory agencies to post operator assisted rates.

The reason that these types of calls cost more than it does when you use coins is due to the high cost to us to be able to complete this type of call. The charge covers the cost of validating your credit card, the security of your credit card, network costs with the local carrier in the area, payphone equipment, automated operator equipment, etc. Because more and more people are using cell phones these days there is much less demand for operator assisted calls (automated and live operator). With less volume the cost to provide the service increases. It costs us, on average $10.00, for each completed call. This does not take into account network costs that apply to each minute of the call.

THE LIST OF COSTS you may be paying, PER CALL, without realizing it:
Operator fee - 10. 98 (live or automated)
Nonsubscriber fee/Pay phone fee - 3. 50
For use of service fee - 3.00
Billing/protection of credit fee - 2.00
Per minutes used fee - 1. 15 (my total in minutes fee used she said was 3.45)
And something else to add another 2.00 or so

Through the BBB and emails with the company, my 26 dollar fee became 10. But this will take much persistence, as it was my forth complaint contact counting the BBB letter to come to that rate.

The company can be contacted by phone at 1-800-226-2606
 30th of Apr, 2010 by    0 Votes
I was at a local V. A. hospital where I had to use the pay phone. I had quarters but the number would not dial before or after entering the quarters. Well I was forced to use my debit card (which it quickly accepted). My call was 2 minutes and I was charged $29.38.
I just called the number listed on my bank account charges for this phone company. A lady answered and said she couldn't help me because she didn't have access to the information but told me to hang up and call again and I should reach an operator. Well I did this and after waiting 15 minutes I spoke to a man who told me I was on the phone for 6 minutes, which I definitely was NOT, and that I should have listened to the recordings better to choose the operator which was pushing number 4. I told him that regardless it never gave any indication or even offered to tell the cost of a call per minute and was not listed anywhere on the phone. The point I was making is that it was robbery to charge those prices and I would have never used it if I had known the cost.
He persisted to say that I should have listened better and said that even he has done this before when he was in a hurry and hadn't listened. The whole time trying to make me seem like an idiot. I'm sure he knew I was not going to back down on my opinion so he offered an $11 credit due to me trying to use coin which did not work. Otherwise he would not have given me the credit :)

Contact Us