logo

Speedpost Singapore
Terrible Delivery Services
2. (1 hr 5 mins ago)
NRGbinary
No responds to my withdrawal request
3. (1 hr 5 mins ago)
century link internet
extremely slow internet service
4. (1 hr 14 mins ago)
Zong Tower
Installation of tower without permission
5. (1 hr 20 mins ago)
vijaywebtech.com-Chor company hai
Fraund mobile recharge API company

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

International Trucks Complaints & Reviews - Mechanical breakdowns!

International Trucks Contacts & Informations

International Trucks

Posted:    Steven Stencil

Mechanical breakdowns!

I'm writing this complaint wondering if I’m the only person in this situation. I'm a small business owner with 4 tow trucks and a light duty service truck. I bought all 4 of my tow trucks from a place called Beltway International in Baltimore Maryland within the past 2 years. Since The International company is known for its reputation with reliability and warranty I figured this was the best way to go. Since then I have had nothing but problems with the trucks. I cannot even begin to write the amount of times our trucks have been in service for reasons due to mechanical failure. I'm talking about stuff that a Preventative Maintaince check has nothing to do with. Alternators, Water Pumps, High Pressure Pumps, Turbos, King Pins, Wire Harnesses, and Cam Shafts just to name a few. These are trucks that aren't even 2 years old and have already had all of this work done. I have been put in a situation that is very hard to get out of, by having the trucks broken down so often it has begun to cost me more money than they are making. Once I talked with the service department at the dealership they basically tell me that the only thing they can do is fix the truck, even though on numerous occasions the thing that they need to fix, has already been fixed before. Part of my biggest complaint is when the trucks go in for service with an appointment scheduled, it doesn't get looked at for approx. 2 days, then it takes a day or 2 for them to figure out what is wrong with it, then 7 out of 10 times the part has to be special ordered. As of right now I have two trucks down, one of them needs a camshaft (for the second time) and the other needs injectors or a high pressure pump (2nd time on injectors, 3rd on high pressure pump). After talking with one of the service guys today, he told me that my camshaft is "code L" (whatever that means) and it wont be "shipped" until august 5th (today is July 17th). I feel that International should have to take responsibility for their products they sell. There is obviously something being done wrong at the manufacturing plant where these trucks are made or the same thing wouldn't be breaking down over and over on multiple trucks. Another incident I had with International been upon purchase of my second truck (which we had special built for hauling 3 cars at a time). After driving it a couple of miles we realized something was wrong in the transmission and took it directly to the dealer. We were informed that something in the transmission was put in backwards. Before the first payment was made on that truck it was in the shop for over a month waiting for another "code L" part. International fixed the problem with no charge but the transmission has never been right. After getting numerous replies from the dealer saying that there was nothing wrong with the transmission, and after driving it for a little over a year with the transmission acting like it does, International told me that I would have to pay to get the entire transmission rebuilt due to "Driver's Error". I tried to explain to them that I have been telling them since day one that the transmission wasn't right, but was basically told that I have to pay to fix it or get a broken truck back. To this day the transmission still acts like it does. This has put a strain on me, my family, my employees, and my company. Once a truck goes down for repair, it not only affects the company’s pocket, but the drivers depend on that truck to put food on their family’s tables. I'm sure that if I’m going through all of these problems with 4 trucks, there has to be more people out there with the same kind of problem. Please e-mail me with any stories that you have related to this, and hopefully we can come together and hold someone accountable.

Thank You stevestencil@aol.com.
Comments United States Cars, Parts & Vehicles
Was the above complaint useful to you?
More International Trucks complaints
International Trucks - Constant Breakdowns!

Comments

29th of Sep, 2011 by   Terri E. 0 Votes
We purchased three new International Durastars from 5 Star International in Lancaster starting in May 2011 - only 4 months ago. Since that time all three trucks have been in the shop for one thing and another continually. And, it's like you said Steve - International doesn't win any awards for their speedy repairs, even if the truck is NEW. We have also had problems with having to repair the same exact part time and time again - each time with the truck being several days, if not a week, in the shop. One of our trucks sat in their garage for 3 weeks straight waiting for repairs to be completed. That wasn't the first or last trip to the garage for repairs either. This same truck spent a week in Allentown getting "repaired". This same truck was towed in from New Jersey to PA on August 31. It stayed in the shop for several days that time as well. We had to replace the steer tires at only 20K miles. International did not align the truck prior to delivering it to us. Two of our drivers took this truck to Wyoming last week. They broke down in Davenport, IA and were "repaired" by Hawkeye International That repair lasted approximately 8 hours. They broke down again in North Platte, NE and had to be towed to Cornhuskers International. That was last Tuesday night - 9 days ago. Our drivers finally had to get a rental truck in North Platte, TRANSFER THEIR LOAD, and make the delivery in Wyoming. You would think that the dealer would have rushed the truck through, given the background on this truck. We are starting to believe that it is International corporate policy to delay warranty work as long as possible to irritate their customers to the point of taking their trucks elsewhere for repair so that International is not forking out the $$ for repairs. Our drivers decided to get a rental car and drive back to PA from NE since they were needed here on Monday morning for other deliveries. So - we're all in PA and our truck is in NE. Supposedly International is "keeping us informed" and "staying on top of things". That is just corporate BS to make it sound like they're really doing something. It's not like the other two trucks are working well either. Our drivers are regularly having to crawl under the truck and bang on something with a hammer to get the truck to START. And to add insult to injury, the trucks are getting between 4 - 5.5 mpg - about half of Internationals' advertised fuel mileage for these Durastars. We have effectively doubled our fuel costs by switching to Internationals. These three trucks represent the backbone of our small fleet of 5 trucks, so these issues are very serious to us. The poor performance of these trucks is affecting our reputation with our customers, as we are forced to delay deliveries due to repairs and other malfunctionings. This issue really affects our company morale as well. Drivers are excited at the prospect of a new truck, but quickly come to prefer their old trucks that actually ran instead of their new trucks that keep them out on the road for longer waiting for a tow, doing endless regens, or looking like a fool climbing under the truck at a customers jobsite to try and get it to start. International is covering the cost of the rental truck to get to Wyoming, the hotel for one of the extra nights that we were stuck out ont the road, and the rental car to get home. They have also said that they will cover the rental car to get back to NE to pick up our truck. Getting them to do this much involved lots of time and phone calls, and was never something that International suggested themselves. They would have been content to have our two drivers sitting in North Platte, NE for the past 9 days. We came up with those ideas, and International makes it sound like they're doing US such a huge favor by covering these costs. Besides, all of that is NOT GOOD ENOUGH. International needs to get that truck back to PA themselves, and most importantly, MAKE SURE IT RUNS!!! And - fix the other two trucks so that they run also. These trucks have @20K miles on them and the OLDEST one was purchased in May. The other two trucks were purchased after that first one. Our mistake. I don't understand why International doesn't want to fix these problems. It is unbelievably obvious to everyone, including International, that these trucks are junk on which we just spent a quarter of a million dollars. Someone from International told me that there is no lemon law for trucks in PA. I simply cannot find words to convey my extreme frustration and disgust with International. To International: When a customer purchases a truck from you, it is generally understood that if that customer is paying you $80K for a new truck, that new truck will run properly. Otherwise, why would we bother? If your product does not perform, it is not our fault. And don't expect us to feel sorry for YOU as you relate the problems that you're having. FIX OUR TRUCKS! And do it quickly and properly. Our old, used Freightliners can run circles around these Durastars and get much better mileage in the process. If anybody reading this review is comtemplating purchasing an International Truck, all I can say is DON'T DO IT!! You will be sorry. They might look good, but you'll think they are the ugliest truck on the road as they leave you sit time after time after time. You'd better have a good relationship with your tow truck operator. And you will go ballistic trying to deal with their warranty repair process. I repeat - DON'T BUY INTERNATIONAL!
 6th of Oct, 2011 by   carndt 0 Votes
Our 2 internationals were purchased new 3 years ago. countless non-routine, non-wear and tear parts have been replaced on both vehicles. The dealer tells me our one truck is a lemon but the other is fine. They have both been in the shop countless times starting week one - and have gone back every week it seems. Our drivers have been stranded many times as well. They are both pieces of junk and cost us down time - our drivers don't even want to take them on the road anymore. Anyone that has any ideas on how to fight international and win on these issues please contact me. We are a small business and can't afford the downtime anymore. I would love feedback if anyone else has had success and would be willing to share. I ALSO will say to anyone thinking of buying an international vehicle - DON'T DO IT!!! You will regret your purchase; and will receive the worst service when trying to deal with the many issues of these trucks.
 7th of Oct, 2011 by   Kevin 911 0 Votes
I thank god I only have 1 international in my 4 truck delivery fleet. As a small buisnness owner it's hard enough to turn a profit witout haveing to deal with repetivive breakdowns. I have a 2006, 4200 light duty vehicle with the DT365 engine, which only has 97, 000 miles on it.When the truck runs all is fine But when have you ever heard of a diesel running down the road doing 60mph and just shuts off! I have had this truck in the shop over the last year a dozen or more time always with some sort of electrical/ sensor/who the hell knows what the real problem is.The shop keeps saying it was something different than the last time it broke down??????I have had Internationals in the past and have never dealt with this type of unpredictable operation. The mechanic has suggested I have all the wiring harnesses replaced and has mentioned it is a small forturn to do so. (with no guarentees this will fix the problem.) What am I suppose to do always have a spare truck on hand, All I know is I thought I was doing the rite thing bying AMERICAN, but I can tell you the 2 Mitsubishi Trucks both with over 270, 000 miles is dfiinitly the way to go!!! SHAME ON INTERNATIONAL TRUCK for putting out such CRAP!
 11th of Nov, 2011 by   Very unhappy Terri 0 Votes
Just an update on my previous post... Today we had two of our three NEW International Durastar's break down on the road and need a tow. One of them in is NJ getting "fixed" (International's definition of making the truck run for another 500 miles) and the other is broken down in CT. Our driver will be now waiting for a tow truck to get to him and tow him back to PA after a full day of deliveries. These trucks are the absolute WORST TRUCKS EVER MADE. This is the same truck that was broken down in NE and finally fixed after 3 weeks of waiting. Can you imagine if we wouldn't have gotten a rental car to get our drivers home? International would have been content for them to sit there for three weeks waiting for a repair!!! As it is, we had to fly another driver out to NE so that he could drive the truck home several weeks later. You know, trucks break down. I understand that. But - this is a ridiculous amount of breakdowns. As if the breakdowns were not bad enough, the frustration of trying to deal with International's terrible, horrible, WRETCHED service will shoot your blood pressure into the danger zone. At this point we are looking for a class action lawsuit (anyone know of anything??), suing International ourselves, or simply getting rid of these trucks in favor of working with a dealership who stands by their customers. I will say again... DON'T BUY INTERNATIONALS IF YOU VALUE GOOD SERVICE AND GOOD TRUCKS!
 4th of Apr, 2012 by   Jeberly214 0 Votes
I am a driver of one of the three purchased by the same company, and it just broke down yesterday. My 2012 duracrap is the worse truck I have ever driven. On 4/3/12 it blew its 2nd high pressure oil line, on 3/7/12 my truck was cruising along and it just shut off, it had 4inches of fuel in passenger side tank and 9inches in driver side tank. The company spoke to 5 star of Lancaster and they believed the truck was out of fuel, well we got fuel and that still didn't fix the problem. Those are just the most recent 2 issues with just the truck that I drive, I can't to believe the level of anger that my company has to deal with 3 nice looking BOAT ANCHORS. If there are any other drivers out there frustrated please voice your opinion, every little bit helps.
 15th of Apr, 2012 by   Tara2341 +1 Votes
Reading some of the above comments has been like reading our own ongoing drama brought to life!! Our 2010 Lonestar continues to be an absolute nightmare!! As a small business owner as well, this truck is bringing us to the edge of disaster! We have a four truck fleet in Canada, and our three Kenworths combined haven't caused us the grief this one truck has! As of now (April 2012) our truck is on it's THIRD motor (two re-builds) and fourth turbo, as well as countless other issues that continue to arise (the least of which the ongoing electrical issues). Can no longer keep a driver in this truck (really can not blame these fellows!). Our local dealer, and International are dragging their heels on assisting us with getting RID of this problem truck. As we continue to make payments on it and keep it insured, it is unable to stay on the road long enough to earn income to cover these expenses. Our only recourse appears to be taking this to court, which we are willing to do. As we are located in Canada, I am unsure as to whether a class-action lawsuit would even be available to us...but I CAN tell you I am not letting this slide!! I am disgusted with the lack of responsibility taken by International Navistar, as well as Maxim Truck and Trailer (dealer). This was a custom ordered and designed truck, we paid up front (I regret not taking in house financing now over our financial institutions better rates-payments would have been stopped a LONG time ago had we chosen Navistar's financing). As a last resort, I had posted requesting help on the International Facebook page...since that time have had a few notes and phone calls, but nothing has really moved forward to a satisfying end. Money still hemmorraging out of our company for this lemon truck, and a bunch of "listening" business execs that has amounted to little more than cheap verbal therapy. We have taken enough of a financial hit on this truck, and can't even get them to buy it back without getting hosed AGAIN. We have been advised to sell privately to recoup the current value (?) The attitude we are getting is to pass the problem on to some other unsuspecting person, and walk away. We refuse. Court it is, apparently. More time, more money wasted over this truck. Unacceptable.
 1st of May, 2012 by   836fireems +1 Votes
Try being an EMS agency and having your ambulances in the shop more often than on the road! If the taxpayers only knew?
 14th of Jul, 2012 by   Bob Richards 0 Votes
Agree, on my second International 5 ton, first was a 2008 that would not run and broke me cause unlike International I provide service to my customers and would have to rent a truck and run at a loss. This truck had $60, 000 in repairs in 2 yrs. They finally took it back and gave me a 2012 and it's the same shit all over again. These trucks are junk, the service is non existant as are the parts your going to need as well as the knowledge database to diagnose the problem is not there, and you get to pay your truck payment, the tow bills, the rentals.Steer clear of any International product, I understand the issues are with the new designs but stand by your product not dump it on us the loyal customer, I'm fed up and frustrated, International is breaking the small operator, you have to be a fleet with spare trucks to run this junk. I'm in Prince George, British Columbia and have 4 other work mates going through the same issues so it is the product and an unsympathetic unwilling to be responsible company and employees
 11th of Oct, 2012 by   ASE MASTER LEVEL TECH 0 Votes
I am a diesel mechanic with 30 years experience have work on internationals engines and trucks, they are junk, next truck you buy get a Cummins engine, best engine out there, you will also have more options when it comes to getting them repaired, like cummins repair locations and truck dealer, also the engineering that goes into these engines is the best, also the support that you get when repairing them is great, diagnostic procedures step by step to pinpoint any problem with in minutes, parts are always available, so when and if they would need repairs your down time would not put you out of business.
 6th of Oct, 2013 by   Pissed owner of an International 0 Votes
I have a 2011 International NAVSTAR with maxforce 7 motorhome with 10, 400 miles on it. I have been stranded for a week now because of a problem actuator. Was told manufactor of unit is having problems with them and none in stock. They don't want to ship out until they fix the "bug" in it. After talking to International corporate was told they would put new turbo on. Now story is new turbo don't come with actuator so they won't replace turbo. I agree with everyone else to STAY AWAY from International! I will be passing my story and experience about International with everyone I can! Do NOT buy International unless you don't mind headaches like this! I am telling ALL motorhome makers to stay away from International as well.
 25th of Oct, 2013 by   Master international 0 Votes
Maybe its not the engines or the trucks maybe it is where you guys are having the trucks worked on
 14th of Nov, 2013 by   Fresno California 0 Votes
@ Master International If you would read the comments. These trucks have had to go into the shop for repairs after 10, 000 miles. If you would also look at the recalls for these trucks you would know that ALL of these complaints are valid. So maybe if you don't know what your talking about you should just keep your mouth shut.
 18th of Jan, 2014 by   Amandeep Dhillon 0 Votes
Hi my name Aman I have prostar 2010 It Dpf problem my truck parked for repair at tallman truck center in Mississauga after three weak they charge me repair $12389 as repair my truck tout they did not repair Same problem accuser same day of repair I go to dealership. They parked my truck in parking from 10. Not doing Nothing. Iff. Ask for repair. They ask they have no time Verry. Bad experience with Tallman. Truck. centre
 9th of Jun, 2014 by   Advanced Towing 0 Votes
My name is Ryan I have a 6 truck fleet. Two dodge 5500's, one peterbuilt 330, and 3 intertrashinals! I don't have enough time to go into the problems with the 2002 or 2005 models but I definitely would like to voice my opinion of our 2012. This was our first brand new truck, at less than 5, 000 miles this truck had to go in for excessive oil leaking out the dryer. International replaced this dryer only to continue blowing oil to this day. Shortly after this visit a bunch of dash lights came on and disabled the truck from running, I towed it 60 miles to the nearest dealer "river view international" in Sacramento. They had to fix some sensor that went bad. This was covered under warranty but still a major inconvenience and loss of revenue. This truck now has 50, 000 miles. Since that first sensor it has been towed two more times (to cummins west) for transmission issues and one more time back to riverview. One of the scenarios happened during a snow storm with a customers car on the deck and the customer in the cab. The truck threw enough lights to cover a Christmas tree. End result a sensor in the transmission went haywire and disabled the whole truck. This Happened again today except it was after a regen session and then it said turn truck off and beeped non stop. Tried to restart and keeps flashing the red exclamation point saying turn truck off. The frustration I have had with this and the other intertrashinals is unbelievable! I just want to sue international for designing an electrical and exhaust system that disables the whole truck for stupid reasons! Atleast have an override button to allow it to be driven to a dealer. UGH!!! Seriously I can easily show I have lost thousands in revenue just with this one truck! If there is a class action suit I'm IN!
 11th of Jun, 2014 by   Stayura Well Services Ltd. 0 Votes
Stayura Well Services Of Daysland, Alberta, Canada. The oldest truck that I have on my fleet is 1999 international. The four trucks that I have bought in 2010 to 2012 are a nightmare with exhaust system that disables the truck. In one month alone this year I have lost over one hundred thousand dollars because of the down time on these International trucks, imagine what I have lost in four years!! Imagine when the extended warranty is over, the cost to repair and the resale value is going to be. One example of my frustration with International Navistar is the 2011 International was in the shop AGAIN for repair, they were waiting for a part that was ordered, which sat on the Navistar shipping dock for FIVE DAYS before they realized that it was sitting there and not shipped out. All I got from Navistar was that they were sorry they are trying to do their best!! That truck sat in the shop for repair for over two weeks. I am ready for a class action suit, lets not just post our complaints lets take action!!

Call me Gerald Stayura 1 (780) 586-0763 LET US HIRE A LAWYER AND TAKE ACTION AND GET SOMETHING DONE AS IT IS GOING TO GET WORSE THEY CANNOT USE THE EXCUSE THAT THEY DO NOT PAY FOR DOWN TIME!!
 16th of Jun, 2014 by   welles mill co inc 0 Votes
we have had numerous internationals over the years, and have had good luck with all, with the exception of the 2007 that we have . i have spent approx. $50, 000 on this truck over the last 2 to 3 years with all kinds of engine & computer problems . lately i have to have this thing towed 60 miles to a dealer numerous times to re-program the computer . you may notice i didn't say fix the problem, then re-program the computer ! there is obviously a problem with this truck and you people aren't fixing it ! i would always recommend a international truck, but right now i wouldn't give you 5 cents for one ! would someone please find out whats wrong & fix it ? i am not having a very good
year financially, and this crap doesn't help matters any . will someone please get in touch with me over this ? chris welles welles mill co inc 570-265-5002 chriswls@epix.net thank you
 16th of Jun, 2014 by   Boris Morev 0 Votes
I have 20 of international pro stars 2009-2011.Nothing but problems.I needed to change king pins -special order 3 weeks waiting.Every one of them have ac problems.Every time ac kompressor stops working u have to flush the system and change evaporators usually it cost about 4000-5000 dollars.1-2 months after, it stops working again.I am looking to file a lawsuit against them because i had this problem ever since o bought first international truck.First they said they had the order of bad kompressors now they dont have an excuse.Worst problem is that any time u want to bring to dealer is at least 1 week waiting.I am talking about dealer in joliet, IL.If anyone knows good attorney or want to file lawsuit together contact me 847 812 8783 Boris
 18th of Jun, 2014 by   louis mendoza 0 Votes
WE HAVE THE 2014 TRANSTAR with the max force 13, after reading these other complaints I feel lucking or am I looking at the future ? We bought in Feb 2014 before we got it back our yard light came on for the smog, sent back to shop twice for this and less then 2 months the clutch fan went out had to tow in $ 800 and $1000 in revenue lost now we are getting less then 5.3 mpg and it will take 3 to 4 days for any dealer to look at it. And now understand why, we had planned to buy 2 more this month we are now buying new Mac's anyone have any comments on Mac trucks
 24th of Jul, 2014 by   DonmarCDA 0 Votes
We have a 2010 International and compared with the 1995 it replaced nothing but problems. We are still paying for the truck and have already spend over 40 K in repairs. Most recently 30 k for an engine replacement when the Turbo failed damaging the engine.

For the US protesters you might find this interesting. http://www.todaystrucking.com/navistar-sued-over-international-maxxforce-engines seems several trucking companies are suing for damages.
 27th of Jul, 2014 by   tommy- 0 Votes
brake failure on a 2011 durastar tow truck anyone else out therewith same?

Scentura Scam , John Mattes Smells a Rat