Humana is the most difficult company I have ever dealt with.
What can be said about a company that has class action suites against them by Doctors, class action suites against them by Investors, and law suites against them by the people who make them monthly payments. Not to forget about a variety of complaints on various web sites.
I find the things they tell me to be deceptive, misleading and inventive to their advantage. Their Customer Services reps sometimes make no attempt to be helpful. It is just get off the phone as soon as they can. Ask those reps for details and don't accept what they say as all that could be said. If you don't like an answer call back again. NEVER wait on them to call you as the delay may eat up your appeal time. TAKE NOTES on everything they say. Write everything down.
If you feel you are getting nowhere with them with your claims here are a few places you can contact for help.
1. Contact the state Insurance Commissioner, every state has one. File a complaint with that agency. Be detailed and include paperwork.
2. If Medicare or Medicaid is involved contact Medicare and ask about your problem. Again file a complaint including paperwork and any documents sent to you.
3. Contact your US Senators and file a complaint with him. Most have a Representative dedicated to problems that come up with questionable conduct of Health Insurance companies. Demand better legislation and for the rights of the consumer to be protected. Call it a health care consumer bill of rights.
4. Do the same with your Congressman. Hope that he has not taken campaign funds.
5. Some states have a contracting agency to guarantee the quality of Health Care in that state. Ask the state Insurance Commissioners office for that agencies number.
6. Your state may have an organization called SHINE to assist senior citizens. Ask their assistance with your problems.
7. Scan the Internet for any class action legal action. There are search engines to assist you.
We need to call attention the those questionable statements and practices of this and other companies that cost us money and a complaint is the only way we can get that short of retaining an Attorney.