logo

Fast Freelotto
NOT RESPOND
3. (3 mins ago)
Dr. Richard Weiss
Charged for services not received
4. (14 mins ago)
Fake Virgin Hair

Consumer Tips & Tricks

Latest News & Stories

Latest Questions

HughesNet, Martinsburg, West Virginia Complaints & Reviews - Service and Billing

HughesNet Contacts & Informations

HughesNet

Posted:    jrpeacher

Service and Billing

HughesNet
Martinsburg, West Virginia
Phone: 304.283.7451
I have paid 89.00 per month for internet service with Hughes.net. It has NEVER worked properly. Their technical department has pages of complaints I have made. Their billing department is demanding over $497 after I discontinued the service. I told them I would send the equipment back to them but they said they do not want it; it is mine! I asked them why I would want, and pay for something that does not, nor has ever worked; they demand the $497 anyway. This is going to affect my credit rating. I am requesting a total refund of everything I have paid them over the past year, over $89 per month because what they promised and advertized has not, nor has ever worked properly. For example, I pay my consumer credit card and bank on line. Some weekends when I was going to pay my bills, the computer was not working, for the entire weekend, and it was too late to send the payment to the companies by mail. And some companies have a $10 charge to pay by telephone! I have lost over $1000 dealing with Hughes net and I request a total refund from them! They are not getting another red cent from my pocket. How many other consumers are they doing this to?
I would appreciate if your good offices could investigate the promises and practices of the "fly by night" internet provider. Furthermore, when I would call their customer service department or their technical department, I would speak with someone, at times for over an hour and they could not understand my English, and I could not understand them. The whole situation has been a total nightmare. I would go to bed some evenings and not be able to sleep. If you would, could you investigate the practices of this company? What do I do to get a refund of what I have given them for something they promised and they did not deliver?
Comments United States Internet Providers
Was the above complaint useful to you?

Comments

23rd of Apr, 2009 by   Ripped off by Hughes 0 Votes
I have been a Hughes Net subscriber since 2001. I’ve always had a credit card on file and they have billed me directly. I can’t say I’ve enjoyed the service but they are the only high speed internet option we have.
In April 2008 we had some issues with our service and after going through tech support it was determined that our satellite needed to be replaced. I agreed to the $400.00 charges; I also upgraded my account from basic to professional for what I had been told would get me a better connection speed and larger file download ability. Included in this agreement was another two year commitment to Hughes net. They delivered and installed a new satellite dish. I kept my old email address and everything was great as far as I knew.
In August I wasn’t getting the speeds I thought I should be getting and called tech support. In looking up my account number I noticed that they had been charging me 129.98 per month since we got the new Dish. After resolving the tech support issue, I asked about why I was being charged the 129.98 instead of the agreed 69.99? It was explained to me that I had two accounts (one at 69.99 and the old one at 59.99) since the upgrade and they could close the one account but could only credit me 2 months. I told them at the time I felt it was unfair but to go ahead and apply the credit and cancel the other account as I had never authorized a second account I only wanted to upgrade my current equipment / service.
After a few months I checked it again and found that they had not provided the credit and they were still billing me at the rate of 129.98. I called again, was told that again they could only credit back two months. At this point I felt this was unacceptable and asked for an exception. I was told it would be looked into. This went on until March of 2009 where I just cancelled the credit card on file in hopes it would get their attention.
It did and finally they cancelled the second account. However it left me with what appeared as an unpaid balance of $129.98 and Hughes net cut off my internet access. When I called I was told that they would restore my service only after I agreed to pay the $129.98 and agree to a 2 month credit. By agreeing to this I would forfeit any remaining refund due to me. The other option they offered me was to wait until another office checked my usage on the other account to see if I was in fact due a refund. They could not offer me a date as to when this investigation would take but explained that I would not have service until completed.
I offered to pay my normal rate of $69.99 for the past month and even so much as $69.99 for the future month however they would not except any payment other then the past due amount of $129.98 and I had to accept the 2 month credit and again forfeit any claim to other refunds. Obviously this is unacceptable to me so now I’m without service until Hughes net decides they want to review my account. I’m posting this using my BlackBerry dialup account.

Two funny stories (not funny ha ha ) out of this:
At one point I asked the person from Hughes billing department if it mattered at all that I’ve been a customer since 2001 and she just simply replied “NO”.
During the conversations I was told that they wouldn’t interrupt my service while the investigation was going on. After they turned off my service and I was talking with someone in billing I told them I understood that my service wasn’t going to be interrupted, I gave them the date, person and case number of that conversation. She then told me it didn’t happen. I suggested that in the future I was going to have to record my phone conversations with Hughes net. She informed me that Hughes Net employees were not allowed to have their voices recorded over the phone lines and I had a legal responsibility to inform them I was recording them.

Satellite is better then dial up and for me, I work from home and dial up just doesn’t work out. I’m able to wait another day maybe two before I’m so far behind I’ll risk my job. I’m sure I’ll end up paying them the 12 payment of $129.98 and accept the 2 month credit for a total loss of 599.99. That $600.00 loss I’ll have to write off as the cost of dealing with a monopoly. BTW – The new hippy dippy satellite and upgrading my account did not increase my speed. Truth be told my average download speeds was better with my old dish and service. Upload speeds are still only slightly better then a modem.
 29th of Jul, 2011 by   Merty 0 Votes
They did the same thing to me, exactly! They are thieves thieves thieves! I moved, and will NEVER EVER live in any place that I would have to use Hughes Net! I'd rather go to Starbucks and buy coffee all day...
 13th of Mar, 2013 by   RubyDee 0 Votes
I'm going through the same thing and wonder just how many thousands are being ripped off by HughesNet. I've made this my pet project/they are not going to get away with trying to rob me, they NEVER provided even half of what they promised in speed, I wanted them to take their equipment away the SAME DAY they installed it and they refused. I should have called the police on the installer. Thank God I didn't have my other wireless disconnected before trying HughesNet. My battle is not over yet, will keep you posted. Good luck ... I wonder how many others they've been stealing $$ from (especially senior citizens who are so vulnerable). HughesNet should be listed as a synonym in the dictionary under extortion, thief, robber, liar, etc.

Top Holiday Toy Safety Tips 2010